Start by marking “The Golden Tree (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Tree (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #12)

The Golden Tree (Guardians of Ga'Hoole #12)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  3,393 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Soren and the Band are back. Coryn has retrieved the ember and it seems a golden age is dawning at the Great Ga'Hoole Tree. But all that is golden is not necessarily good. Soren, Twilight, Gyfie, and Digger face their biggest challenge yet as the young king, haunted by the suspicion that haggish blood flows in his veins, hunts for the truth. His wanderings imperil himself ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Tree

Coyron wanted his retrieval of the ember to bring about a great time for owl kind. But the Ember transfixed the minds of the guardians and they started to worship it. So Coyron put a stop to that by eliminating all of the ceremonies for the ember and restored the guardians to their former glory. Then Coyron makes a decision that will provide a long-term solution for the storage of the ember so that never happens again. The Golden Tree is about friendship, nobility, and determination.
Well, I think this is the point that Guardians of Ga'Hoole and I part ways, at least for quite some time. I told myself I was going to finish out this terrible, terrible series, but... nope, can't do it. Maybe someday in the far off future I'll be able to force myself to slog through the rest of this nonsense, but for the meantime, I have far too many other things--significantly more enjoyable, less aggravating things--to be doing with my time.

I think this book was really great. The author has brought back the original characters from the previous books and mixed them with the newer ones. Now instead of books about "the legends" it is once again contemporary with the original story's time period. The author almost gave this book sort of a mystery aspect to it. Throughout the text, Coryn seeks to find out the truth of his mother - is she one of Kreeth's experiments that has survived, is she part hagsfiend, or is she not? The truth will ...more
Book 12, The Golden Tree may as well be the best book of the whole series, although 15 books is stretching my interest.

After the mid-mini series of the Legends Triology the Band finally makes a comeback, and Coryn is getting used to being King. Soren's chicks also hatch, though I was disappointed there wasn't much about them in The Golden Tree.

Coryn and the Band go on a journey to discover whether Nyra is really a hagsfiend, and if Coryn's blood is tainted due to his evil heritage, but end up f
The Golden Tree is the 12th book of the Guardians of Ga’hoole series, which I have been reading for years (long before the movie covering the first three books came out). In this book, the new king Coryn explores his identity as the possible son of a hagsfiend (an evil owl-witch). He leaves with Soren and the Band for a short adventure to distract himself from his woes, but finds more than he’d bargained for. In addition, he’s left the ember back in the Tree under the care of owls with weaker pe ...more
I have been reading this series since before the movie (Which was horrible) and have loved most of it. I loved all of it before Nyroc/Coryn came into a picture when I was a little 'ehhhhh' and then I grew to like it again after the Ancient Stories, or whatever their called.

Back to this book, through the whole book I was just thinking how Lasky has made these owls that were amazing turn into a mild Mary-Sue to a major Mary-Sue. That has to be my least favorite thing. I also don't like Soren and t
The Golden Tree is the twelth and my lest favorite book in the Guardians of Ga'Hool series so far.
It's not that I found this book from the series uninjoiable. I did enjoy the book but not as much as the others. Its also partly because I had just finished reading the Leagends of Ga'Hoole mini series (which was my favorite of the Guargians of Ga'hoole series) and am still geting uset to the present story line of the Band, Coryn and the Pure Ones. The thinkg I dislike most about this book is the st
Ms. Mielke's Class
When Coryn and the band are faced with a challenge they have to go up against their enemy. If I was part of that gang, I couldn’t go through what they went through. Coryn, Soren, and the band show amazing bravery while performing their task. What was their task? Well, I guess you’ll have to read the book to find out. - LH
I read these book in second and third grade! I absolutely loved them. They inspired my love for reading, writing, and raptors!
This is a good adventure series for fans of Brian Jacques, mostly about owls.
Absolutely amazing as all her work is! So much was going on, it kept me on my toes. Gyllbane came back to help in the fight as a peaceful journey turned into one of vital importance for Coryn, Soren and the band. Back at the tree, the ember held sway over some easily influenced owls and tyranny followed.
Of course all was finally righted when they returned from their trip with 'The book of Kreeth'! But I'm still wondering just what the heck happened to Nyra. She's too much of an evil wench to jus
Rachel (Sfogs)
While the King (and general good sense) is away, the idiots will play.
That ember didn't take long to affect them!
Really I would not continue with this series, but my son likes it.
Back to the “present.” Deals with a theme of religious extremism in the form of blind idolatry and intolerance of dissenting views.

I’m starting to get the impression that there’s no overarching plot arc to this series. I’m beginning to thing that she’s going to just keep writing and coming up with new things to write about. At least she’s good at it. I suppose that’s like life, though!
This one started off with better promise that what it finished with. I liked it, but the final confrontation of the book seemed abrupt and confusing. Still, fans of the Guardians of Gahoole will enjoy this continuation of the story of Coryn, Soren and the rest of the Band.
M. Maxwell Maxwell
Mar 25, 2008 M. Maxwell Maxwell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantesy and owl/bird lovers
The book is good so far. It is about a group of owls that are fighting evil. There are old run down castles and misty forests. They are protecting a special ember. They got the ember from a volcano, where dire wolves lived in the place called the Beyond The Beyond. The story is interesting and can be somewhat intertaning.
King Coryn and the band have finally returned to play, but unfortunately during the most screwballed time period in the history of the Great Tree. Many of the Guardians had began to idolize the Ember of Hoole during the absense of Coryn, who was out flying with the Band on a much-needed trip of relaxation.
Series Description:

Book Description:
Even though this the 12th book of the series, it hasn't gotten boring because Kathryn Lasky has been able to add new ideas into the same characters, while leading up to the same plot, which makes it more interesting.
Brianna M.
I gave this book 2 stars because it is kind of about war, hagsfiend, and the ember in the tree. I am not a big fan of books like this, but it wasn't totally bad either, I wish that I don't read any more of these kind of books.I would recommend this book if you like war or fantasy.
I love this series! I read the first eleven books this summer and I just saw the new movie yesterday. The books are fantastic and the movie is great too, however the movie was altered a bit from the way the books are written, but if you look at each separately, they are outstanding.
Oh my goodness! Ms. Lasky certainly knows how to make a gripping story that's nearly impossible to put down. Another great book in this series. I was gasping with surprise almost the whole way through. Can't wait to start the next!
Unlike the past few books where they focused on the legand of King Hoole this story takes place in the present with the main narrator being Coryn. There also wasn't enough of the dire wolves which I enjoyed from the past books.
King Hoole
This ones good. The members of the Great Ga'Hoole Tree begin idolizing the ember of Hoole while the king is away. Even going as far as doing special dances to worship the ember.
This was a good book, but not quite as good as the others. It did introduce some new characters that may prove to be interesting in the future stories. On to #13.
In this book the owls become all about status, status, status , it was still a pretty good book. But I wasn't loving how into status the owls were.
This was a good book. I was glade when The Band decided to on on an adventure. It it was good to be back with the regular characters too. :-)
Meg - A Bookish Affair
The Golden Tree continues the story of the owls of the Great Ga'Hoole tree as they engage in another battle with Nyra and her band of bad owls.
Why is it I can only stand four books of this series at a time? I do enjoy them but not too many books one after the other.
Guardians & Wolves: The Golden Tree #12 1 2 Oct 31, 2011 03:28PM
  • Lost Tales Of Ga'Hoole (Guardians Of Ga'hoole)
  • Great Bear Lake (Seekers, #2)
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her latest book, Guardians of Ga'Hoole Book 15: The War of the Ember, was released on November 1, 2008. Guardians of Gahoo ...more
More about Kathryn Lasky...

Guardians of Ga'Hoole (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1)
  • The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2)
  • The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3)
  • The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4)
  • The Shattering (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #5)
  • The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)
  • The Hatchling (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #7)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • The First Collier (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #9)
  • The Coming of Hoole (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #10)

“Blood hardly defines one's character. We are made by our actions, not our blood. - Soren” 20 likes
“Words, as you well know, can be powerful. - Digger” 10 likes