Start by marking “NeanderThin: Eat Like a Caveman to Achieve a Lean, Strong, Healthy Body” as Want to Read:
NeanderThin: Eat Like a Caveman to Achieve a Lean, Strong, Healthy Body

NeanderThin: Eat Like a Caveman to Achieve a Lean, Strong, Healthy Body

Discover the diet that's been worth for thousands of years!

In a revolutionary approach to weight loss and improved health, author Ray Audette presents his groundbreaking "caveman" diet--an eating program that stems from the notion that what we ate before agriculture and technology evolved is still what our bodies need to function effectively, stave off disease, and stay le
Published December 15th 2000 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about NeanderThin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NeanderThin

Ash Moran
Dec 31, 2009 Ash Moran rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition, paleo
Nice, easy-to-read introduction to paleo nutrition. Straightforward, and grounded in common sense. Unreferenced though, which means that finding follow-up material is harder. But the author is someone who used paleo eating as a practical means to treat his own illness (diabetes and arthritis). The goal of this book is not to act as a scientific reference, but to describe in simple terms why we should eat paleo and how.
John
Good book, my main qualms are with the exercise section. His recommendations on that suck, and one of the main things I didn't like was that he included activities such as bird watching as exercise. If you consider bird watching an enjoyable activity, much less exercise, I guarantee you that literally every person you've ever known has hated your guts, because you fucking suck. Get a real hobby and go squat.

Other than that, pretty solid book. I still have a lot of reading to do on this subject,
Jan
May 28, 2007 Jan rated it it was amazing
I really like this book.
Ward Hammond
Jun 11, 2017 Ward Hammond rated it it was amazing
Shelves: right-2
It's Paleo. Very helpful. I suffer from Crohn's disease. The theory is that it is an immune system disease caused by our diet which changed since the agricultural revolution. Answer? Eat like a cave man/hunter-gatherer. EAT: Meat and fish, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, berries. DO NOT EAT: Grains, beans, potatoes, dairy, sugar. This is going to be hard for me. I love salt and sugar. Worth a try. I'm not doing it to slow weight, I'm doing it to stay out of the hospital.
Jodi
Nov 10, 2013 Jodi rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-books
I bought the 2013 edition of this book after listening to an interesting interview with the author online via the Underground Wellness website.

But this book was so disappointing. I regret buying it. I got so much more out of the interview. The points were made a lot more clearly and logically and more discussion was included about exactly which vegetables to avoid, the benefits of a very high calorie diet and a few other points.

I'm a big supporter of eating a diet that is around 60% healthy nat
Lauren
I heard about this on a science podcast, in which it was mentioned somewhat divisively, and thought it would at least be an interesting read. Basically, it's one long not-very-well-written ad for the hunting industry. Ray Audette is the "official nutritionist" for the Ted Nugent Show, and that pretty much tells you all you need to know. He's a meat promoter. And that's fine, but it really seems like he's just making up crap as he goes along. Whatever sounds scientific and supportive of his argum ...more
Niklas
Jul 05, 2010 Niklas rated it it was amazing
A highly readable primer on the diet that evolution has tailor made for your body. This book is out of print but I found it at my Library and followed the recommendation for a month. Ray Audette was on a personal journey to heal from the "modern, prefab" diet. His research is our treasure. I Feel great and Lost some weight, and even though I'm not as strictly adhering to the books dietary guidelines, I know that this is the blueprint of how I'll eat for the rest of my life. Prefer this book to T ...more
Marianne
Sep 08, 2008 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marianne by: JSW
I read this book during the month I decided to give up eating grains and refined sugar, and it was a good reinforcement. Easy to read and sensible. I'm not disciplined enough to follow a NeanderThin/Paleo diet all the time, but I can stick to a modified version (that allows dairy) most of the time. When I find that I've moved too far off the diet, I read another book and restrict my diet to get back on track.
Mike Moskos
Jun 26, 2012 Mike Moskos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
Much more than a book on what to eat now; this is also a great history book about what we've eaten over the years. Not too many other books on food cover this topic as well.

While I generally agree with his pronouncements, I don't think he made the case for not eating/drinking dairy decisively, esp. if it is fermented dairy from raw/unpasteurized milk (think kefir, yogurt, raw cheeses, etc.).
Byron
Byron rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Sarah Webb
Sarah Webb rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Emerson Seven
Emerson Seven rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Sandi
Sandi rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2010
Damon Stewart
Damon Stewart rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
James Cales
James Cales rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Carla Evans
Carla Evans rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Andrew Hale
Andrew Hale rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Sabine Haller
Sabine Haller rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2012
Adam Lambert
Adam Lambert rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Jonathan Dunkle
Jonathan Dunkle rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2011
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2013
Nigel
Nigel rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
May 07, 2012
Gin
Gin rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2014
Erin Fyalka
Erin Fyalka rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2015
Claudette Pace
Claudette Pace rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Marty
Jul 28, 2012 Marty rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Boring
Ig
Ig rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016