Start by marking “Someone in the House” as Want to Read:
Someone in the House

Someone in the House

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  799 ratings  ·  31 reviews
An English Gothic mansion, transported stone by stone to the isolated Pennsylvania hills, Grayhaven Manor calls to Anne and Kevin. Here is the ideal summer retreat--a perfect location from which to write the book they have long planned together. But there are distractions in the halls and shadows of the looming architectural wonder luring them from their work--for they are ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Someone in the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone in the House

Kim
Hooray! A Barbara Michaels book I actually liked better upon rereading than I did as a teen!

Barbara Michaels's books generally fall into the category of romantic suspense, although some of the earlier books are pure Gothic in tone. In Someone in the House, the two genres are well blended; the novel is set in present day (which, when it was written, was 1981), but takes place in a transplanted Gothic mansion, where the heroine Anne has come to write an English textbook with her friend Kevin. Evi
Cassie
I liked this book but the ending was disappointing. It almost felt like she was tired of writing so she just wrapped it up really quickly. I don't feel like the haunting was resolved or we ever figured out what was going on there. I am now reading Black Rainbow which is about Grayhaven Manor back when it was in England. I've read it before but I don't remember the details. I'm hoping that reading this will help clear some things up from Someone in the House.
Liz
Barbara Michaels is a favorite of mine for suspense stories. It's easy to be caught up in her stories, which at the time, 20-30 years ago, were probably modern suspense.

The story is written from the point of view of Anne, a graduate student who is writing her about experiences during a summer spent at Greyhaven, a house that was moved brick by brick from England to Pennsylvania during the Roaring Twenties by a very rich man. Sixty years later, lottery winners are now the owners and they've left
Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*)
There are some authors who have a special something that’s hard to put your finger on, an indefinable quality that’s impossible to deny yet just as difficult to describe. Barbara Michaels is one of those authors, not necessarily a horror writer, but one who possesses instead a more gothic style that’s rich with mystery, legend, and history. I have read most of her books, and am ashamed to say I haven’t reviewed one until now. Turning over a new leaf, I figured I’d start with my more recent re-re ...more
Margaret
Barbara Michaels (who also writes as Elizabeth Peters) is a writer of consistently entertaining romantic thrillers, usually with supernatural overtones. After reading Someone in the House several times over the years since it was published, I've come to think that it's one of her best.

Anne and Kevin are English professors, planning to write a textbook together; when Kevin's parents win the lottery and buy a country manor (transported intact from England at the beginning of World War II), he and
Stacy
This spooky story is told in first person from Anne’s perspective and she had spunk. I enjoyed her intelligence and identified with her insecurity about her looks. She felt very real to me and if Anne saw a ghost then I believed her. Kevin was a hot guy who everyone woman desired, maybe even Anne, to her disgust. I liked Kevin and his easy-going nature, but did find him a bit shallow.

There was a considerable amount of history and I did love the way the three differing opinions were shown. This b
Lisa Greer
I just got this through ILL. I like all of Barbara Michaels' books, and there are only a few I haven't read, so I'm trying to find them all and read them. Some are better than others, but her wit and good characters are always part of her novels.

This one is set in rural PA in a transplanted castle. :) It is good so far and will probably be a fairly quick read for me.

***
I'm done with it. :) I really enjoyed the intellectual depth of this book-- lots of theology and history in a romantic suspens
V.R. Barkowski
Barbara Michaels is one of the nom de plumes of Barbara Mertz alias Elizabeth Peters, author of the Amelia Peabody mysteries. I’m not quite sure what to say about this book. It boasts the author’s usual combination of humor and spunky female protagonist, but university instructor Anne is considerably more reflective than most of Peter's heroines and parts of the book are powerfully written. Not what I was expecting. Moreover the ending... well I’d better not tell you that. Let’s just say, along ...more
Sistermagpie
Judy
Another Barbara Michaels mystery set in the VA countryside - an ancient mansion transported from England with strange happenings. Two young academics and 2 middle aged people find they each have a different version of the specters at night. Perhaps one could be possessed. It was a very good story with a different ending than I anticipated.
Sonia
I ran hot and cold on this one. At times, it seemed to be a mystery, at times a stupid romance. It also seemed very "dated" to me - with issues that seem so irrelevant or settled today. After leading up to some very otherworldly, fantastic possible solutions, the storyline just stops and the book ends - very unsatisfactory.
Shelly
Alternately creepy and cozy, this was a fascinating read. What, exactly, is going on at Grayhaven? Ghosts? Worship of an ancient religion? A bizarre psychic phenomenon? Or are the residents all losing their minds? It's a compelling mystery, in a fascinating location, with a nice mix of history and literature.
Amy
My latest audio download.

Barbara Michaels is one of the pen names for Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters (the Amelia Peabody series).

I enjoyed the story, even though it was a little outside my genre. I thought it was a gothic romance, but it was a little light horror.
Sherry Lamb
I have read better Barbara Michael's books, but when it is cold outside there is no one better to read while under a blanket, fireplace going with a cup of tea close by. "Sometimes it is cold out here in the big wide world." Barbara Michaels Someone in the House
TeraD
This book was very intellectual and fun to read for its historical and literary mentions, however I was disappointed by the overall plot and expected a little more horror out of this acclaimed "horror" novel.
Amanda
I listened to the audiobook and the person reading was very good with the voices so that you could also tell who was speaking. Very creepy story, even though it starts out very ordinary/slice of life.
Kasey
I was disappointed with the ending of this book but I still really enjoyed reading it. I would recommend it to anyone who likes supernatural mixed in with history.
Jo
After an engaging tale it seemed at the end that the author just ran out of gas and ended it. I thought the ending very unsatisfactory.
Jaime Contreras
I really liked this creepy mansion novel with a heroine n peril. There is a good tie-in to Ms. Michaels archeology background.
Michaelle
I'm on a mission to read all the books by this author - I've loved them all so far.
Jenn Estepp
I found the ending a little abrupt, but was pretty on board for 95% of the book, so.
DeAnna Knippling
This is my first Barbara Michaels experience. Would pick up another on a lazy-afternoon or plane-trip kind of day.

I don't want to blow the twists, so I'll just note that they're the strength of the book, along with the easy style. I didn't feel 100% emotionally engaged with the characters, though, so I can't quite put it at a five.
Sarah Walker
I'm all for ghost stories, witches, and anything else that goes bump in the night stories that could scare me. But this story didn't do it for me. I do like the characters, the idea of a ghost story but there was hardly any types of ghosts at all. I also do hate how the writer had made the guy Roger in to a smug and whatever else in a person that I truly dislike in a person. I wanted to strangle the guy.
Adrienne
The book was entertaining throughout... had a ton of potential, but the ending was poor. Thoughts and events seemed scattered and unrelated, I expected her to tie it all together in the end, but she didn't.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Heather
Mar 08, 2009 Heather rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
This book is TERRIBLE!!! I only read it the whole way through because I kept thinking, "Surely this will get better eventually," but it never did. It was boring, poorly written and just plain awful. I hated it. If you want to torment yourself and you want my copy I'll give it to you for free.
Laura Guill
I think I knew this earlier, but I'm just not much of a fan for classic horror/gothic/thrillers. It's not the paranormal/scary parts -- it's when the characters do/are nothing but afraid & reactive. Tiresome.
Kasey
Rita
Fast read on my Kindle. I was not happy with the ending. It did not meet my expectations. I felt the build-up deserved more.
Kristin
good book but the ending was a disappointment!
  • Die for Love (Jacqueline Kirby, #3)
  • Wildfire at Midnight
  • Thunder Heights
Barbara Michaels is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...
Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3) Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1) The Dancing Floor Smoke and Mirrors Vanish with the Rose