Start by marking “Someone in the House” as Want to Read:
Someone in the House

Someone in the House

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  958 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
An English Gothic mansion, transported stone by stone to the isolated Pennsylvania hills, Grayhaven Manor calls to Anne and Kevin. Here is the ideal summer retreat--a perfect location from which to write the book they have long planned together. But there are distractions in the halls and shadows of the looming architectural wonder luring them from their work--for they are ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Someone in the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone in the House

Kim
May 29, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Hooray! A Barbara Michaels book I actually liked better upon rereading than I did as a teen!

Barbara Michaels's books generally fall into the category of romantic suspense, although some of the earlier books are pure Gothic in tone. In Someone in the House, the two genres are well blended; the novel is set in present day (which, when it was written, was 1981), but takes place in a transplanted Gothic mansion, where the heroine Anne has come to write an English textbook with her friend Kevin. Evi
Cassie
Jul 29, 2009 Cassie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, books-i-own
I liked this book but the ending was disappointing. It almost felt like she was tired of writing so she just wrapped it up really quickly. I don't feel like the haunting was resolved or we ever figured out what was going on there. I am now reading Black Rainbow which is about Grayhaven Manor back when it was in England. I've read it before but I don't remember the details. I'm hoping that reading this will help clear some things up from Someone in the House.
Liz
Nov 22, 2008 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Michaels is a favorite of mine for suspense stories. It's easy to be caught up in her stories, which at the time, 20-30 years ago, were probably modern suspense.

The story is written from the point of view of Anne, a graduate student who is writing her about experiences during a summer spent at Greyhaven, a house that was moved brick by brick from England to Pennsylvania during the Roaring Twenties by a very rich man. Sixty years later, lottery winners are now the owners and they've left
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*
There are some authors who have a special something that’s hard to put your finger on, an indefinable quality that’s impossible to deny yet just as difficult to describe. Barbara Michaels is one of those authors, not necessarily a horror writer, but one who possesses instead a more gothic style that’s rich with mystery, legend, and history. I have read most of her books, and am ashamed to say I haven’t reviewed one until now. Turning over a new leaf, I figured I’d start with my more recent re-re ...more
Margaret
Barbara Michaels (who also writes as Elizabeth Peters) is a writer of consistently entertaining romantic thrillers, usually with supernatural overtones. After reading Someone in the House several times over the years since it was published, I've come to think that it's one of her best.

Anne and Kevin are English professors, planning to write a textbook together; when Kevin's parents win the lottery and buy a country manor (transported intact from England at the beginning of World War II), he and
Stacy
Dec 13, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This spooky story is told in first person from Anne’s perspective and she had spunk. I enjoyed her intelligence and identified with her insecurity about her looks. She felt very real to me and if Anne saw a ghost then I believed her. Kevin was a hot guy who everyone woman desired, maybe even Anne, to her disgust. I liked Kevin and his easy-going nature, but did find him a bit shallow.

There was a considerable amount of history and I did love the way the three differing opinions were shown. This b
Lisa Greer
Mar 13, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I just got this through ILL. I like all of Barbara Michaels' books, and there are only a few I haven't read, so I'm trying to find them all and read them. Some are better than others, but her wit and good characters are always part of her novels.

This one is set in rural PA in a transplanted castle. :) It is good so far and will probably be a fairly quick read for me.

***
I'm done with it. :) I really enjoyed the intellectual depth of this book-- lots of theology and history in a romantic suspens
V.R. Barkowski
Barbara Michaels is one of the nom de plumes of Barbara Mertz alias Elizabeth Peters, author of the Amelia Peabody mysteries. I’m not quite sure what to say about this book. It boasts the author’s usual combination of humor and spunky female protagonist, but university instructor Anne is considerably more reflective than most of Peter's heroines and parts of the book are powerfully written. Not what I was expecting. Moreover the ending... well I’d better not tell you that. Let’s just say, along ...more
Lena Miller-tungate
I really liked it. The ending was a disappointment.
Sistermagpie
SuperWendy
Mar 22, 2016 SuperWendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This is a Michaels book I think I skipped during my Teenage Barbara Michaels Reading Binge because the book is pretty heavily into paranormal/supernatural (nothing wrong with that - it's just not my usual jam...). This is a companion book to Black Rainbow, and takes place in the present day (well, present day 1980-something when it was first published). Second-wave-feminist heroine and a nice juxtaposition between "young people" mores (the hero and heroine) and "older folks" (the hero's aunt esp ...more
Judy
May 08, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Barbara Michaels mystery set in the VA countryside - an ancient mansion transported from England with strange happenings. Two young academics and 2 middle aged people find they each have a different version of the specters at night. Perhaps one could be possessed. It was a very good story with a different ending than I anticipated.
Sonia
Apr 04, 2012 Sonia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, audio, 2012
I ran hot and cold on this one. At times, it seemed to be a mystery, at times a stupid romance. It also seemed very "dated" to me - with issues that seem so irrelevant or settled today. After leading up to some very otherworldly, fantastic possible solutions, the storyline just stops and the book ends - very unsatisfactory.
Shelly
Mar 08, 2014 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alternately creepy and cozy, this was a fascinating read. What, exactly, is going on at Grayhaven? Ghosts? Worship of an ancient religion? A bizarre psychic phenomenon? Or are the residents all losing their minds? It's a compelling mystery, in a fascinating location, with a nice mix of history and literature.
Amy
Mar 25, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My latest audio download.

Barbara Michaels is one of the pen names for Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters (the Amelia Peabody series).

I enjoyed the story, even though it was a little outside my genre. I thought it was a gothic romance, but it was a little light horror.
Sherry Lamb
I have read better Barbara Michael's books, but when it is cold outside there is no one better to read while under a blanket, fireplace going with a cup of tea close by. "Sometimes it is cold out here in the big wide world." Barbara Michaels Someone in the House
Meredith
Barbara Michaels heroines are usually from an interesting cusp of time. They are part of the feminist revolution and are trying to figure out how to be independent and have equality both professionally and romantically. With the latter, sometimes over-compensating. (At least from a point of 30 years later, it feels that way.)

This story is a meta of that theme, in a way. Is it okay to be happy without being independent? Can one be happy without having independence?

For me there were elements of
Tera Marie
Jul 08, 2008 Tera Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book was very intellectual and fun to read for its historical and literary mentions, however I was disappointed by the overall plot and expected a little more horror out of this acclaimed "horror" novel.
Amanda
Jun 21, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook and the person reading was very good with the voices so that you could also tell who was speaking. Very creepy story, even though it starts out very ordinary/slice of life.
Kasey
Jul 25, 2011 Kasey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed with the ending of this book but I still really enjoyed reading it. I would recommend it to anyone who likes supernatural mixed in with history.
Jo
Oct 09, 2008 Jo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After an engaging tale it seemed at the end that the author just ran out of gas and ended it. I thought the ending very unsatisfactory.
Jaime Contreras
I really liked this creepy mansion novel with a heroine n peril. There is a good tie-in to Ms. Michaels archeology background.
Jean
Jan 16, 2015 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone in the House defies the typical genre headings one gives Michaels's books. It isn't the romantic suspense/gothic romance that she usually writes. There's no way to explain how the book differs without giving away the thrills of discovery. Michaels has created a gentle horror worthy of Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John stories. In hindsight there were hints throughout the book that the ending was possible, but I didn't expect it. And drat you Kindle -- I had to keep reading just one more c ...more
Michaelle
Aug 16, 2012 Michaelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm on a mission to read all the books by this author - I've loved them all so far.
Jenn Estepp
I found the ending a little abrupt, but was pretty on board for 95% of the book, so.
It took me a while to get into this book, but once I was about a third of the way into the story I got invested for a while. But then there were just so many theories being thrown around that I got un-invested again. I also though the ending was weird and not terribly satisfying. I might have liked the book better if I had liked any of the characters, but I basically disliked all of them. Some of that probably had to do with how the atmosphere of the house was affecting them, but it's tough for ...more
Farshana Sihab
Hmm..Not sure if itz coz am at my lowest, somehow the ending left me feeling bereft.Like an ache! Loved the gothic setting so much that I wish i had someone in the family with a historical house like that, minus the ghosts of course. The story like other books by Barbara Michaels' is purely an enthralling read and Anne is a kickass heroine.
DeAnna Knippling
May 27, 2014 DeAnna Knippling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Barbara Michaels experience. Would pick up another on a lazy-afternoon or plane-trip kind of day.

I don't want to blow the twists, so I'll just note that they're the strength of the book, along with the easy style. I didn't feel 100% emotionally engaged with the characters, though, so I can't quite put it at a five.
Sarah Walker
May 21, 2014 Sarah Walker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm all for ghost stories, witches, and anything else that goes bump in the night stories that could scare me. But this story didn't do it for me. I do like the characters, the idea of a ghost story but there was hardly any types of ghosts at all. I also do hate how the writer had made the guy Roger in to a smug and whatever else in a person that I truly dislike in a person. I wanted to strangle the guy.
Nickolas Jarosh
Jul 13, 2015 Nickolas Jarosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immersion as an Art

The absolute complete immersion that is brought on by the excellent writing here really can't be praised enough. The book goes all the logical places, the voice is superb, and the suspense is gripping.
  • Die for Love (Jacqueline Kirby, #3)
  • Wildfire at Midnight
  • Black Amber
  • Call in the Night
  • The Legend of the Seventh Virgin
Barbara Michaels was a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...