Start by marking “Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)” as Want to Read:
Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)

Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles #8)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  837 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A new novel of Mykella, the young woman introduced in The Lord-Protector’s Daughter. Though a bloody coup has made Mykella ruler of her land, it has left her and her two sisters bereft of family and uncertain of their friends. Worse, an examination of the nation’s accounts reveals that their country is almost destitute. Plus, there are rumblings of war along the borders. W ...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Tor Books (first published March 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lady-Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady-Protector

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussPrince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett
2011 DGLA Fantasy Book Nominees
55th out of 102 books — 432 voters
Forge of the Mind Slayers by Tim WaggonerShadowheart by James BarclayThe Leopard by K.V. JohansenBlackdog by K.V. JohansenAvenger by Richard  Baker
Raymond Swanland
17th out of 33 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

William Bentrim
Mar 31, 2015 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing
Lady-Protector by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This book follows the Lord Protector's Daughter of the Corean Chronicles. The weight of the crown is clearly illustrated in this book. Mykella finds she is a true descendant of Michael the Great.

Once again I will admit to being a major Modesitt fan. He does a great job on a series but allows each book to come to a reasonable conclusion and thusly stand alone. I have also mentioned in other reviews how fond I am of strong female protagonists. Sci-fi and fantasy
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
Another good addition to the Corean series, but I can't say there were any surprises. A great escape from the mundane world & I liked the heroine. Nothing much else to say, except don't start with this one. You could get into the series by starting with the previous one or with the 4th, but this is the middle of a trilogy, the second chronologically, the 8th by published date.
Jennavier
Jul 02, 2015 Jennavier rated it really liked it
Lady-Protector was a pretty standard Modesitt work. I enjoyed it better then Lord Protector's Daughter since the heroine had more options. Overall I think it's awesome how much the author can get me enthralled by meetings.
Fantasy Literature
Jan 14, 2016 Fantasy Literature rated it it was ok
Lady-Protector is the last (so far) book in L.E. Modesitt’s COREAN CHRONICLES and a direct sequel to The Lord-Protector’s Daughter. You can read this duology without having read the first six COREAN CHRONICLES books, but you do need to read The Lord-Protector’s Daughter before picking up Lady-Protector. This review will necessarily spoil some of the plot for that earlier novel.

In The Lord-Protector’s Daughter, Mykella (the titular character) discovered that her father’s brother was stealing mone
Stephen Davis
Jun 18, 2015 Stephen Davis rated it really liked it
The buildup of the story was very detailed leading up to a potential resolution of all the Lady Protector's problems. At which point the word limit for the story is reached, and everything is brought to a neat happy conclusion with magic battle followed by a battle between armies all within the blink of an eye. Ends with a happy parade with the land having a surprisingly bright future with all problems solved. Great lead up for the story, and then in such a rush to finish that it felt like the a ...more
Yong En
Feb 01, 2015 Yong En rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and well constructed from start to finish.

After reading the mostly lackluster preceding book, I had my reservations coming into Lady-Protector. But I had my hopes and it truly lived up its fancy smancy title. Upon picking it up, I found myself eager and interested enough to keep reading from start to finish quickly.

There are only two things hindering it from getting 5 stars from me. But that's not important.. You can read this great book without seeing anything below.

You're still
Mf
Aug 08, 2011 Mf rated it really liked it
The second story focused on Mykella (the first being Lord-Protector's Daughter). The previous book on her seemed to be the same Modesitt formula of learning about your powers and needing them as fast as you can develop them, 'or else', but from a female point of view. This book goes in a bit of a different direction. Mykella is the ruler of her country, and a female ruler in a male-dominated society. So in addition to developing her powers, saving the world, and saving her land, she has to deal ...more
Kevin
Mar 24, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best Modesitt ever, I'm afraid, but still a solid entry from one of my favorite authors. He spends a lot of time going throughout the challenges inherent in running a government in a semi-medieval culture. The day to day business of fixing a government hobbled by years of weak leadership and endemic corruption were just the sort of writing I expect from Modesitt. The MC was pleasant enough and dealt with the challenges of being a young female ruler in a male dominated society fairly well ...more
Tobias Cooper
May 26, 2015 Tobias Cooper rated it it was amazing
Another good story in the history of Acorus. Fitting between the two main trilogies it concludes the story of the Lady Protector begun in Lord Protector's Daughter. Like many of Modesitt's novels the hero not only faces the traditional challenges of fantasy but also the practical concerns of economics and social expectation. Again good to see a story with a female lead that isn't entirely focused upon their love life!
Tom Gregorio
Dec 09, 2011 Tom Gregorio rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ok. Not an incredible amount of action, but the series continues from another perspective. Really annoying however, is the consistent usage of the same 'filler', over and over again.

- Meals. Really, who cares about what they have to eat and how it's prepared. EVERY FRICKING MEAL. Even the absense of eating a meal, and the subsequent feelings of hunger are detailed. EVEN THOUGH said pangs have no impact on the story!
- Floors and Wall Coverings. Every Table Room, every palace floor, every building
Darcy
Mar 05, 2016 Darcy rated it really liked it
I re-read the lord protector's daughter before this to refresh my memory, and lady protector has much better pacing and more of the interpersonal problem solving that generally makes his books good. The ending felt rushed - one of those cases where you can see the pages left diminishing and the big climax hasn't even started, but the rest of the book was good enough to make up for it.
Bailey Olfert
Mar 26, 2015 Bailey Olfert rated it liked it
Coming in with #8 in this series isn't ideal but it was do-able. The characters were easy to catch up with - it was just the Talent and powers that were unclear. I liked the book but would have been happy with a few less details of her administrative work as a new ruler.
James
Nov 17, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I give this author a lot of 5 stars...but I really enjoy his depth of detail. Many people find it tedious, I enjoy the fact that he put THAT much effort into his books. Mykella and her sisters developed as characters, thank you Jesus, and that was important. More then just figureheads or bartering chips, each of the three women actually contributed something overall. I can't say the book wasn't predictable, because it was....but it wasn't completely able to be forseen. I love curveballs ...more
Kevin
Feb 08, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
This was fairly satisfying, with the same basic plot and characters as others by the author. The only difference was that it was a woman protagonist.
Once again, irrelevant and uninteresting events and details filled the book, and the ending felt rushed.
Michael Hall
Mar 28, 2013 Michael Hall rated it really liked it
Modesitt has a way of introducing details that seem superfluous to the story, yet they are so enriching to the feeling of life that he gives to his characters. His books are for the thinking person instead of mass produced filler that fans of Hollywood action movies are apt to read.

I have to admit that this story has a bit of tediousness to it, intrigue and details drive this book instead of action, yet is very much worth the effort in the end. There is a strong female lead having to deal with r
Suprio
Oct 02, 2014 Suprio rated it liked it
3.5
Wendy
Mar 21, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
I've always thought that L.E. does a wonderful job with characters. They never are perfect, which makes them easy to relate with. The book could have done more with backstory on Arm's Commander Areyst but other wise all the characters are well developed. The story is wonderful because every time Mykella seems to be on top of things, more things pop up that were either thought to be trivial or were totally unexpected.

This book is going to be in my re-read collection for sure.
Craig
Aug 14, 2014 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Better than The Lord-Protector's Daughter, in fact they really should have been published as one book, since the first was pretty weak on its own and quite short. Even then, it wouldn't really be up to the standard of the first few in the Corean series. But still, 3 stars.

Re-read, 8/14. I'll leave it at 3 stars, but it barely makes that. The handling of the romance is just horribly, terribly awful and almost makes me want to drop it to 1 star.
Eugene Tellier
Jul 20, 2015 Eugene Tellier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Fun as always, though it did seem to peak and close very quickly. I guess I was hoping for more "cuddling".
Tom Boshell
Aug 02, 2012 Tom Boshell rated it really liked it
Standard reading from L.E.Modesitt Jr. A woman's perspective was different this time, but still kept it in the outward struggles with only a little bit on the internal problems. The most of the internal thought processes were based upon the outward struggles. The fights were almost anti-climatic and almost ninja like. She sneaks in and separates their life-thread from concealment--ninja
Mel
Jul 28, 2011 Mel rated it liked it
It was okay. The ending seemed a bit rushed and again, I think the main character learned how to use her Talent much too quickly. I bought the other 6 books in the series (not including The Lord-Protector's Daughter) this past weekend and am looking forward to rereading them as soon as I get through the 5 books I already have at home that I took out from the library.
Karen
May 16, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It helped to have read the earlier book (Lord Protector's Daughter) and/or others in the Corean Chronicles series in order to better understand what was going on in this book.

The action was fast paced and kept me interested. I liked the character development of the main players in this book.
Frode
Aug 23, 2012 Frode rated it really liked it
I just like L.E. Modesitt, Jr. His characters are interesting; there is a plot that moves along, and he is good about getting some of his philosophy regarding relationships and government entities across without being preachy. He writes well, no sex, no real swearing, nothing offensive, even when there is carnage.
Arthur
May 08, 2012 Arthur rated it really liked it
Standard Modessitt fare, though a bit disjointed and I felt the protagonist was a bit over-worked, even for Modessitt. I would love to have more space in the book devoted to exploring the powers without the constant overhanging doom expected "any day now". Still, an enjoyable read, as are all Modessitt books.
Ron
May 10, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An enjoyable addition to the series. Continues the story of Mykella and her taking control of Lanachrona. If Modesitt follows the arc of the other Corean books, there will be one more story about Mykella which will lay the background to the Legacies/Darkness/Scepters volumes.
Lisa
Oct 14, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it

Another excellent addition to the Corean Chronicles. There are certain predictable elements but I enjoy the books in spite of the predictability. I enjoy the worlds that he has created.
Mariana
May 04, 2012 Mariana rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. It was just an easy read. A lot about the roles of strong women and how we have to go against the current.
Nancy
May 20, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Modessitt, advances this series satisfactorily, kept my interest and didn't get too wordy as some of his recent books have.
Jim
Aug 25, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
Part of a new sub-series of Modesitt's Corean Chronicles. I recommend starting at the beginning, with Legacies.
Jo
Sep 24, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it
It is nice to see a male author write several female character, including the lead, so well.
  • Heart's Sentinel (Terra's Guardians, #1)
  • A Magic of Dawn (Nessantico Cycle, #3)
  • Kings of the North (Paladin's Legacy, #2)
  • Rolling Thunder (Thunder and Lightning, #3)
  • House Name (The House War, #3)
  • Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)
  • An Interrupted Tapestry
  • Weavers of War (Winds of the Forelands, #5)
  • Carousel Tides (Archers Beach, #1)
  • Fortune's Bride
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • A Young Man Without Magic (The Fall of the Sorcerers, #1)
  • The Soldier King (Dhulyn and Parno, #2)
  • To Save a World (Darkover Omnibus, #7)
  • Beyond the Blue Moon (Hawk and Fisher, #7)
  • The White Tribunal
  • Missing Persons (Kate Conway Mysteries, #1)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Corean Chronicles (8 books)
  • Legacies (Corean Chronicles, #1)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)