Start by marking “In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy, #4)” as Want to Read:
In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy, #4)

In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,432 ratings  ·  140 reviews
Fledgling private investigator Molly Murphy's latest assignment gives her the opportunity to escape the typhoid epidemic sweeping across New York City in the summer of 1902 for the lush Hudson River Valley. And it comes from an unlikely source-Captain Daniel Sullivan, a New York City police detective and erstwhile beau of Molly's. She has vowed to keep him at arm's length ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about In Like Flynn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Like Flynn

Waverly
This mystery, the fourth in the series, neatly ties off a thread from the first book about Molly's circumstances when she fled to America. The murder mystery itself was not difficult to puzzle out. Molly's angsty relationship with Daniel doesn't have me thinking very well of him, and I can see from the series title list that there's a lot more angst ahead.

The drumbeat message of "you're a woman, you can't do that, and I forbid you to do so" is played heavily to evoke indignation among a female
Mary
Molly travels to an island in up state NY to check out some Psychic sisters that Captain Daniel believes are fake and preying on the rich who have lost loved ones. She, of course runs into another whole investigation about a boy who was kidnapped and never seen again.
Library-KAT

1/2

Molly is sent undercover by NYPD Detective Daniel to the home of a Senator whose wife is now in the company of two Spiritualist Sisters... The couple lost their child to a kidnapping scheme gone bad years back and the wife is distraught and looking to find solace by contacting the spirit of her dead infant. Molly is there as the Senator's cousin from Limerick, to debunk the sisters....

Meanwhile, she happens upon another murder, that of the wife's former nurse. There is friction between Mol
Ed
#4 in the Molly Murphy series. Finalist 2006 Macavity Award for Best Historical Novel. A most enjoyable series sharing the flavor of the Irish immigrant experience in New York City around the turn of the 20th century. All of the books in the series have an historical hook - in this case the typhoid epidemic of 1902 and the spiritualist movement started in the late 19th century.

Molly Murphy's former beau, policeman Daniel Sullivan, arranges for Molly to leave New York City (and the rapidly spread
Bonnie
This has been my favorite Molly Murphy mystery. Rhys Bowen has created a wonderful character in Molly, a daring, brave, and capable private investigator. Captain Daniel Sullivan, Captain of the New York Police Department, sends Molly on an undercover assignment to the Hudson River Valley to the home of Senator Barney Flynn. She is supposed to investigate two women staying there who give séances. Theresa Flynn has become the latest devotee of the spiritualists known as the Sorensen Sisters and ho ...more
Kate
Daniel tries to keep Molly out of trouble by giving her an undercover assignment as a long-lost Irish cousin of a politician, so as to keep her away from gangsters and the typhoid epidemic that is raging in the city. In her attempts to prove the Sorensen sisters (spiritualists) to be frauds, she also gets involved in a five-year old kidnapping mystery endured by her hosts.

Overall, it was a very quick read; Daniel's behavior towards Molly continues to be exasperating, and the progression of thei
Kristin
I have to copy (and credit) another reviewer, Waverly, for this perfect summation of my own feelings about the Daniel angst this far:

"The drumbeat message of 'you're a woman, you can't do that, and I forbid you to do so' is played heavily to evoke indignation among a female readership today from a twenty-first century perspective. I'm supposed to get fed up with it, but that also means being fed up with reading the books."

Precisely. I'm very aware of the realities for women in the 19th and 20th
Michelle
Molly takes an undercover assignment for the NYPD and goes undercover in the country to try and discredit a couple of spiritualists who have been duping rich society ladies all over the east coast. Of course (because it's Molly and one case can never be as simple as it seems) while there, she starts to uncover details about the couple's son who was kidnapped five years previously. As always, there are twists and turns and coincidences aplenty. Despite some obvious shortcomings, I continue to be ...more
diemmi147
Having had enough his share of all the thrills and frenzy Molly Murphy had positioned in his life, what with having his heart assaulted every moment he saw her, having to worry sick about her using up her cat lives so quickly, and having his whole life jeorpadised by her, Daniel conceived it was high time to send Molly away from the city of crimes to somewhere more tranquil, also to prevent her from stumbling into some unsavory neighborhoods and ending up catching the typhoids that were raging t ...more
Spuddie
#4 Molly Murphy historical mystery set in New York in the early 1900's. Molly, trying hard to be a private investigator and finding the going tough, accepts a timely case from none other than Daniel Sullivan, her policeman "friend." It's timely for a couple of reasons--she's just had a falling out with her current beau, and also there's a typhoid outbreak in the city and this assignment would take her to a manse in the country to investigate a couple of spiritualists that Sullivan believes are f ...more
Luffy Monkey D.
Reading this book had me comparing it to another cozy mystery, A Bitter Truth, by Charles Todd, the mother and son duo of writers. Clearly, Rhys Murphy is at least a lesser writer than them, as far as her ability to tug at the readers' heartstrings is concerned. The tragedy of the early death of a child is often used as a device in less cerebral books.

Rhys Bowen is, however, at the top of her game here. That's because she is able to move her characters around like a skilled gamer. The change
Donna LaValley
This is #4 of the series. I've gotten them out of order a bit.

Daniel Sullivan doesn't want Molly to keep endangering herself as a Private Detective, of course. It's dangerous, demeaning to him when she solves crimes faster than the police, and embarrassing to him when he has to bail her out. She has a nose for danger. So, Daniel dreams up a soft assignment for her in the Hudson Valley, in a lovely country estate, where she'll be safe. He asks her to look into a spiritualist duo of sisters, who
Roberta
This is #4 in the Molly Murphy historical mystery series. It is set in New York in the early 1900's. Molly has decided that being a private investigator is a better job than working in a sweatshop or one of the few other jobs available to women. She gets a case up in the Hudson Valley from Daniel Sullivan, her policeman on again off again boyfriend. It's a good time to get away because there's a typhoid outbreak in the city. Going undercover as the Irish cousin of Senator Barney Flynn, she is su ...more
Mark Baker
Molly is asked to investigate two spiritualists who are preying on a Senator's family. However, when she arrives, she finds plenty of danger and a second mystery. This was the book that turned me into a full fledged Molly fan. I love the characters, and the multi-layered plot kept me turning pages.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Doreen
an intriguing mystery right till the end. molly has not given up her ambition as a private investigator but she is faced with few business opportunities. when daniel commissioned her to uncover two spiritualists, she eagerly took up the job. along with the job, she also tried to solve the kidnapping case of a senator's son. little did she knew the dangers lurking ahead of her and that her ghost from her past came back to haunt her.
Katie Sholty
Molly Murphy's past catches up with her as she heads to countryside under Daniel's orders. Death, mayhem, and blackmail follow Molly into the house of Senator Barney Flynn. She goes undercover as Flynn's cousin from Ireland as she tries to debunk a pair of famous spiritualist sisters who are staying with Flynn.

This fourth installment of the series, has Molly bucking conventions once again and meeting a new cast of colorful and memorable characters. The multi-layered plot kept me turning the page
Shannon
I really enjoyed this one - I do wish there was a bit more about unveiling the two psychics but overall the story was a good one. I also liked that the story took place away from New York City. I am a little tired of the will they/won't they of the Daniel relationship. Daniel seems like a bore but based on book descriptions he's not going anywhere and probably won't change much.
Gail
In early 20th century New York City, Molly Murphy is a unique figure--a woman detective, though she is having a hard time getting jobs or gettting clients to take her seriously. She's hired by the police to go undercover in a rich man's mansion to expose two psychics. She disguises as the Senator's Irish cousin and finds more than two fake spiritualists.

The family is haunted by the kidnapping of the Senator's son a few years before and there are many undercurrents. Molly works to uncover the my
Susie
What a fun read. I picked this up thinking it was the first and not realizing it was book 4 until I was already a couple of chapters in. However, not knowing the previous stories didn't seem to matter as the author gives you enough back story to get the gist.

Irish immigrant Molly Murphy is trying to be a private detective in early 1900s New York City and having a hard time at it. Desperate for money, she jumps at the chance for work when her former beau offers her a chance to spy on a pair of "s
Lilcranberry
Not the smartest of detectives. A little rash and brash. She gets herself into scrapes and gets saved somehow...usually because she's quick on her feet when it comes to weaving some blarney. She a typical red-headed Irish girl, with a strong head, and stubborn way. All-in-all very entertaining. I'm hooked.
Denise
Mar 09, 2013 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This is a cozy mystery that is the 4th book in the Molly Murphy Mystery series. I have not read the first three books so I have to treat this as a stand-alone book. I think that the book would probably have been better had I read the first three books in the series first. I do intend to go back and start at the beginning.

The date for the setting of the book isn't stated but seems to be in the early 1900s New York City. I particularly like this time period and especially set in New York City.

Moll
Argum
Crazy story but brings things to a head on the personal front. Molly goes undercover at Daniel's request to catch some spirtualist's in an act of fraud at the home of a Senator by pretending to be his newly arrived Irish cousin he of course has never met. Molly pokes her nose in the wrong place for someone's taste and eventually wraps up several cases.
Mollie
I liked this story. Some of the mysteries were actually easy to figure out, but then there were others that were a complete surprise. The intricacies of the story kept it interesting and it was difficult to put down. Molly Murphy is a great character.
Judy
I picked this up at random in my local library, enjoyed this light read. It is well written and nicely incorporates 1902 New York city, Irish immigrants, life in the mansions along the Hudson River, kidnapping and orphan trains. Quite a mix, but well done.
Barbara
Still enjoying this series featuring the clever, intrepid Molly Murphy. This one moves out of New York City to the inner workings of an up-and-coming Irish politician, his society wife and their isolated estate on the Hudson. Add in an unsolved child kidnapping and a pair of spiritualist sisters spinning their seances and possibly a little fraud, and you have the basic set-up.

The main story was good and Molly seemed to make the adjustment to "society" although her nosiness probably should've ra
Melliott
This is a fun series. I don't love it, it doesn't hold me absolutely enthralled, but it's well written, entertaining, and mostly believable. There were a few things in this one that made me say C'mon! but over all I enjoyed it.
Becky
This is, I believe, about the third or fourth book in this series--haven't read the previous ones but it was easy enough to pick up on the back story and enjoy the current mystery. A fun read for a rainy period.
Sheryl
Was a little slow getting into this one for me, but perhaps I just wasn't really in the mood for it. Ended up enjoying it but Daniel's behavior regarding his relationship (or lack thereof) with Molly is starting to annoy me. He needs to "man up" already.
Ann
So glad to discover the prolific Rhys Bowen. Looking forward to reading more of her mysteries. Anyone who's read her...should I continue with Molly Murphy or switch to the Royal Spyness series?
Kristen
In the early 1900's, most women are only concerned with their roles as mothers and wives, but not Molly Murphy. Newly arrived from Ireland, where she escaped a murder charge, Molly takes up a career as a crime fighting detective in New York City. Her sometimes sweetheart Daniel, a captain in the police force, asks her to go undercover as the cousin of the famous Senator Flynn in order to ferret out the secrets of the popular spiritualist Sorensen Sisters. What she discovers is not a fraud, but t ...more
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • An Impartial Witness (Bess Crawford, #2)
  • A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Molly Murphy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)
  • Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries #2)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries #3)
  • Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries #5)
  • In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)
  • Tell Me, Pretty Maiden (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #7)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy, #8)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • Hush Now, Don't You Cry  (Molly Murphy, #11)
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)