Start by marking “Loki's Daughters” as Want to Read:
Loki's Daughters

Loki's Daughters

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  1,617 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews

For as long as Arienh can remember, her Celtic people have feared the deadly Viking raids. She knows their brutality first hand, having lost the men from her own family and village to their swords. When she encounters and wounds a Viking warrior one stormy night, she has every right to want him dead. Instead, she allows him shelter in her cottage. Although she fears him, h

Published (first published March 13th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Loki's Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loki's Daughters

Sarah Briggs
Jul 11, 2012 Sarah Briggs rated it really liked it
Fairly quickly into the book, there was one thing that went through my mind - that this was an awful lot like the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Except that it was with Viking men and Celt women and there wasn't a lot of singing.

I have to say that this book was a very enjoyable one. I always get put off by romance books, because most of the ones I've read don't develop the romance. At all. It goes from instant-attraction to love within a matter of pages.

That wasn't this book. In fact,
Melindeeloo
Mar 15, 2011 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loki's Daughters was an entertaining Kindle cheapie with Celts and Vikings (who are not the pillaging kind, but much harder to get rid of.)

The pranks by the Celtic women whose village is taken over by huge hunky Vikings, were fun and are what earned the women the nickname of Loki's daughters. The way one of the pranks backfires on the women is particularly eye-opening. I liked that author Jacob's didn't rush the transition from fear and suspicion and that it took patience and a sense of humor f
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Oct 25, 2012 Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb" rated it did not like it
Loki's Daughters (Kindle Edition)
I really really hated Arienh and she brought the whole story down for me!! Arienh was saved by Ronan years earlier when his uncle forced him to help invade the village that Arienh and her family lived. Ronan saves her from being raped and killed or sold into slavery. He did this at the determent of his own life. Ronan suffers under is uncles so called care. Ronan returns years later to take Arienh as his wife thus the story begins. I understood at first why Arien
Niina
Jul 13, 2011 Niina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: viking lovers, historical romance lovers
I found this free on Amazon.com for Kindle, and read it in less than 24 hours.

The story begins with 9th Century Cumbria where a village is inhabited by Celt women only, after raid, after raid of Vikings who killed their men in their wake. Arienh is the rock of the whole village of women, but as hard as she tries they aren't doing good. What changes everything is when Arienh runs into a lone Viking in the hills, he tries to capture her only to be stabbed to his and her surprise by Arienh.

Her cons
Chandra
Aug 04, 2011 Chandra rated it it was ok
AUTHOR: This is my 1st time reading one of Delle Jacob’s books. I’m not impressed with “LOKI’s DAUGHTERS”. I found the content to be repetitive. If romance books provided (3) separate layers of “something that you can sink your teeth into”, this book only made it to the first layer. I never give up on an author and “fully” intend and look forward to reading another book by Delle. I want to be fair.

SYNOPSIS -
Many years ago the Celtic village was attacked by Vikings. A handful of women, children a
A.R. Von
Mar 08, 2012 A.R. Von rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading a Delle Jacobs work's and I will say as of now it was the best historical romance I've ever read!

So many thrills, laughs, excitement, a touch of mystery, love and more all rolled up into one unique work. Between the males (Vikings) and females (Celts) there is much mischief and games to keep you turning the pages, smiling and holding on to your seat.

Being through so much throughout their lives the woman are all weary of their visitors. Vikings do not have a great re
Josephine
The title of this book is a misnomer there is no Loki and there definitely are no Loki's Daughters. I went into this book expecting a norse fantasy novel and what I got was an overdone romance something. Don't get me wrong it's not overly badly written, there is much worse out there, but the plot and the characters left much to be desired.
Becca
Okay so this book wasn't for me, i am not saying that is was a bad book or anything because i liked most of the characters but, really this is a character influnced book and there is nothing wrong with that unless you are like me and sort of hate Arienh - one of main ladies. I'm not going to go in depth about what this book was about because that is what the summary is for and i didn't finish reading it.... soo there is that. i got more than half way through and i just had to stop because my big ...more
Serena Myles
Nov 06, 2013 Serena Myles rated it it was amazing
It was love, if ever she had seen it.

This was another one that had been sitting on my kindle for some time.

After finally deciding to read it, i am disappointed i didn't do so earlier.

At the beginning we meet the celtic woman Arienh. She has assumed the position a man would normally have in her small village after all the men have died. Most due to raids by the vikings, including her own brother, father, her sister was raped by a viking and her other brother was taken by the vikings as a slave.

U
Debbie
May 29, 2014 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook edition of this novel, and I think I might have enjoyed it more if I'd read the ebook edition. The narrator, Amanda Ronconi, read with a lot of expression and kept the pace going, but sometimes she was a little over the top. She read the characters with accents, and while the Celtic was fine, her Northman accent was awful - and kept changing throughout the book.

Others have covered the plot points, so I won't go there. The characters in the story had great potential,
SandraE
Feb 06, 2011 SandraE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I was searching for a cheap book to read on my kindle. I found this one and was surprised by how good it was. Usually the 99 cent books are short and disappointing but this one was neither. It is a fully fleshed out story of strong naive women trying to stand up to the Northmen who decided to live in their town. I realize the plot is ridiculous but I still enjoyed it and even laughed out loud a few times.
Angell
Oct 03, 2013 Angell rated it liked it
I gave this book three stars. in some places I glanced over paragraphs because it would drag on about how the character was feeling about things, but it was written well enough that I already knew. thus skimming allot. it was a good book, just not great.
Caitlin
Jul 18, 2011 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-digital, romance
Really liked this. There were a couple points were the suspension of disbelief required was a little excessive, but the characters were compelling and the story was interesting and well-written. It's been added to my list of books to re-read.
Sally906
Jan 19, 2012 Sally906 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful historical romance - lusty Vikings that only want to help and distrusting and warlike Celtic maidens who don't want Vikings in their lives - lots of misunderstandings, laughter and edge of seat scar moments - because yes there are baddies!!!
Maddux
I got this title free on Amazon Kindle Unlimited.

Loki's Daughters came very close to being a 5 star read for me. I loved it.

Ugh! These heroes! So freaking sweet!

Give this one a try.
SheLove2Read
Feb 11, 2013 SheLove2Read marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2013
I wasn't crazy about the style this was written in. Somewhat difficult to follow. This dnf is simply a case of too many books laying about to struggle with one that doesn't grab me.
Vivian
Jul 10, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-hist, romance
Absolutely refreshing take on the fluctuating powers in play in British Isles around the first millennium.
Mar 06, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like my romances believable. A strange thing to want from romances where the very genre demands we suspend our disbelief in favour of impossibly handsome, well-endowed alpha men, often wealthy, falling with everyday women. However, that isn't what I mean. I’m OK with that, it's the scenario that keeps them apart I need to be believable. If it's a wishy-washy excuse, he doesn't like cats and she has thousands of them, I get bored and move on.

Loki’s Daughters gave me the believable scenario I n
Suzy Kennedy
For a romance novel this was very well written.

Northmen form ireland come to settle in scotland to find wives. they find a village in disarray with no men, its perfect. Only the women dont want them there, having been raided, raped and their men killed by vikings, they dont trust these men. We follow as the men insert themselves into the womens lives and win their hearts.
Just the right amount of romance, with lots of pranks, mischief, some action and a few steamy scenes.
Sam
Dec 04, 2016 Sam rated it it was ok
Eh...
Ruth Stuart
Jan 17, 2017 Ruth Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Celts . And Northmen

Interesting blending of cultures. Found it is probably what my ancestors experienced with Northmen settling New lands and cultures becoming one.
Shannon
I have a ton of books to read on my iPod. I'm obsessed with free stuff, so I went a bit overboard with getting every free book possible. I might as well start reading some of them. I have to say that I didn't have high expectations. The synopsis itself wasn't the most original, but it seemed interesting. Sorry to be mean, but the cover is a bit ugly and doesn't do the story justice. I sure hope that the guy on the cover isn't supposed to be Ronan because oh my god that guy isn't cute at all. The ...more
T
Dec 29, 2012 T rated it it was ok
I think it's important to say I downloaded this book for perhaps not the highest reasons--I wanted a historical romance novel for some light holiday reading and it was super cheap on my Kindle. But even so, it was terrible. For me, two stars is the lowest rating I can give a book that I finished reading.

My main problem with this book is how boring it is, which stems essentially from the lack of credible conflict driving the plot forward. Right from the beginning, a band of Vikings (or Northmen,
Nicole
2.5 stars. This story had potential and I believe this is one of the authors first books (if not the first). In the beginning i was very sympathetic to the heroine and her village. But as the story went on she just became an obnoxious shrew to me. There was a lot of stubbornness and misdirected hatred going on here.

There were some typos and repetitive sentences and unnecessary scenes that just kind of made the store more unappealing.

Jenny
6/10

First off, this cover gave me nightmares. I didn't notice Ronan standing in the background until I glanced at the cover at around 3 am. It's like he's hiding in the shadows...always watching...*shiver*

Loki's Daughters is a historical romance set in the 9th century. This is the first Viking romance I have read. The basis of the story is that these Northmen (as they proclaim they are the happy, farming type of Vikings, not the angry marauding type) come to a Celtic town to claim wives and rebu
Regan Walker
Nov 02, 2012 Regan Walker rated it liked it
Unusual Tale of Gentlemen Vikings and a Cranky Heroine

LOKI’S DAUGHTERS was Jacobs’s first book and a Golden Heart finalist. She says in her Author’s Note that she would write it differently today. That I can understand. Jacobs writes well and the description of Viking and medieval life seemed quite authentic. Her characters are well drawn. But I did tire of the heroine’s constant anger and her worry over the same thing time and time again. One wants to love the heroine and I just couldn’t do tha
LadyCalico
Jul 24, 2011 LadyCalico rated it liked it
I really wanted to rate this book higher, but I just couldn't. It was a fast, entertaining read if you didn't think about anything. I was really in a mood for a good romance, but this wasn't it. It had a lot of good elements and could have been rewritten into a good romance, but it was ruined by an idiot plot (def: a plot that requires everybody involved to be an idiot or everything would have worked out long before it did) and a heroine who started out interesting and sympathetic but didn't gro ...more
Carrie Daws
Jun 07, 2013 Carrie Daws rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
The really mixed reviews on this book had me wondering, and it seems to be one of those books that people either love or hate. After reading several of the other reviews, here is where I fall:

Couldn't relate to the main character: I had no problem relating to Arienh. Perhaps it was because I could relate to the great battle within her, wanting to release the past and move on with great hope, yet fearful that the past will repeat itself. At one point in the book, she even acknowledges that she is
Radella
Jul 07, 2011 Radella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some ways, it has the feel of a classic Greek play... or at least it reminded me of The Supplicants by Aeschylus in some ways. There's a village full of beautiful Celt women, struggling to survive the harsh lands. They've been all but destroyed by the Viking raiders, and have little love for that race. A boat of handsome Viking (strike that, Northerner) men land and set themselves up in the village, against the wishes of the women. The men want nothing to do with raiding, raping, and pillagin ...more
Caroline Greyling
Jun 23, 2014 Caroline Greyling rated it it was ok
'Loki’s daughters' is set against the beautiful backdrop of the Irish coast in an era that sees Viking Northmen destroying the proud Celtic race with their brutal raids.
Ariehn, leader of one of the last Celtic villages of surviving women knows what it is to suffer hardships. She’s watched loved ones die, be taken as slaves and brutalized at the hands of the Vikings. But she’s also been rescued by a young Viking and saved from a hellish fate.
Ten years later, Ronan, her boy savior, now fully grow
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1; Lords of Conquest, #1)
  • The Mistress' House
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Lady Deception
  • Never a Bride
  • On Falcon's Wings
  • Heart of a Knight
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Again
  • Bridleton
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • To Seduce a Rogue (Southern Heat, #1)
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Beyond All Price
  • The Brigand Bride
  • Blackbird
I write write write. Sometimes I travel. Then I write some more. And I have a great family who understand that I write write write.
More about Delle Jacobs...

“He had come looking for a docile, submissive, sweet-natured girl and found instead a Celtic warrior woman, ferocious in her protectiveness of those she loved. Yet he had expected she would become the girl of his dreams simply because he dreamed it.” 0 likes