Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking

Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Just outside Toronto, a 14-year-old Canadian girl was auctioned on the internet for men to purchase by the hour. A young woman was taken by slave traders from an African war zone to Edmonton to earn greater profits by exploiting her in prostitution. A gang called Wolfpack recruited teenagers in Quebec and sold them for sex to high-profile men in the community.

The global pr...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Viking Canada

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Chains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Chains

Cow
Very important. Very depressing, but so important. I think a lot of people have no idea just how pervasive this problem is in our society; I think everyone will be shocked by at least a few of the things in this book. It's leaving me with a lot t

My only complaints are these: first that the organization of the book felt troubled at times; it seemed like a lot of things just got repeated over and over, and stories would get split in weird places (half of the story of a person appearing in, say, ch...more
What an eye-opening book about human trafficking in Canada (and Canada's influence in human trafficking abroad). A comprehensive book that starts with a glimpse of human trafficking and the sex trade abroad and then continues to outline Canadian laws and policies (or lack thereof) regarding the internet, human trafficking within our own boarders, prosecuting human traffickers, and treatment of victims.

Some of the most shocking details included the following:

- States like New York have policies...more
Dianne Kaucharik
This book was an enlightening and startling exposé of human trafficking of persons for the sex trade and for labour. Perrin shares numerous stories and facts to demonstrate that the problem is pervasive here in Canada, the "true north stong and free", but that our failure to adequately address the problem and to support its victims serves to perpetuate modern day slavery both here and abroad. I found the book to be a thorough and well written overview as well as a call to action with numerous, s...more
Josephine
You know, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Deep in our history of struggle for freedom, Canada was the North Star.”

After reading Benjamin Perrin’s “Invisible Chains,” I really doubt that victims of modern-day slavery and human trafficking can view Canada in the same light.

Interestingly, Perrin’s book was what prompted me to start reading up on modern-day slavery — I heard him on the radio with John Tory and decided to check his book out.

It just happened that I wound up reading Kevin Bales’...more
Shonna Froebel
Wow. I was aware that human trafficking was going on in the world and even in Canada, but several things in this book really surprised me. First, I was surprised at the extent of this crime here. Second, I was surprised at the lack of arrests and convictions, especially given the extent. Canada is an embarrassment among other countries on several counts. This is especially interesting given Harper's "law and order" platform. Here are some criminals he can really go after, victims he can really r...more
Congrégation de Notre-dame
Many very good books have been written on human trafficking in the last few years. I would highly recommend those written by Richard Poulin, Victor Malarak, Somaly Mam, Isabel Vincent, Melissa Farley. The one I want to comment though is INVISIBLE CHAINS, by Benjamin Perrin.*
It happens often that one takes a decision in life and is led to a path that was not clearly defined at first. It seems to me that such was the case for Mr. Perrin. While talking with his university friends, he became aware o...more
Jenn (muzikgrrl)

A excellent and comprehensive book about Canada's complete incompetence when it comes to combating trafficking of persons. If sure there are plenty of people trying to do their best with what they have in terms of resources but it is incredible how inadequate of a response there is by all levels of government. The research is thorough and it's a great jumping off point for anyone that wants to learn more about the issues.
Suzanne Benner
Hard hitting book about human trafficking in Canada. Made me more aware of the horrible truth. Gripping stories. I think the book could have been shorter - seemed like a lot of repetition, but maybe that's what it takes to get people to pay attention.
Anne Hopkinson
Stunning content in this book. I just didn't know Canada was so LAX on human trafficking! One of the pedophiles arrested and convicted was the parent of two little boys I taught in Grade 3.
Jdow
Excellent book. Every Canadian should read this to develop an understanding of the horrific oppression and exploitation that occurs in our own country, and what we can do to stop it.
Myriam
A very good start if you are looking into this theme . Poorly written, but is an excellent reference book.
Melissa
Not the type of book I thought it was going to be.
HelenJ
Great investigative work and a good teaching tool!
Robin Fillmore
Robin Fillmore marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Leanne DeWitt
Leanne DeWitt marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Deborah L Pfeil
Deborah L Pfeil marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Heather Pelczar
Heather Pelczar marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Olena
Olena added it
May 29, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Invisible Chains Modern Warfare: Armed Groups, Private Militaries, Humanitarian Organizations, and the Law Modern Warfare: Armed Groups, Private Militaries, Humanitarian Organizations, and the Law Human Trafficking: Exploring the International Nature, Concerns, and Complexities