Start by marking “Deliver Us from Me-Ville” as Want to Read:
Deliver Us from Me-Ville

Deliver Us from Me-Ville

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Author David Zimmerman takes readers on a hilarious and honest trip through Me-Ville, a place where it's all about You. David shares his insights on escaping the trap of selfishness.
Published January 1st 2010 by David C Cook (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deliver Us from Me-Ville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deliver Us from Me-Ville

CCCfaithathome
Jul 30, 2013 CCCfaithathome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Building on the teachings of Thomas Merton and Dietrich Bonhoeffer, David Zimmerman outlines the journey from Me-Ville to God's Kingdom that all Christians must travel (and often, re-travel). The good news is, Jesus is the one who comes to Me-Ville to lead the way out!

Each chapter includes ways that the journey changes us, practices we actively engage in as willing participants on the trip (we aren't just along for the ride, after all), and "Escape Routes" or spiritual practices to try when you
Rick
Feb 01, 2016 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You could say it was the title that drew me in. Deliver us from Me-ville. Just saying it out loud makes me chuckle. It's the kind of title that makes me want to jab you with my elbow, all the while smiling and asking you if you get it.

See, it's a play on words.

Nevermind.

David Zimmerman has written a good book here on helping us move. Move? Yeah, from our current address in Me-ville. He points out, without apology, that living self-centered is not where we want to be.

It would be easy for us to
Clint
Sep 22, 2009 Clint rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A joyfully sarcastic look at our own self-absorption from a Christian perspective. This is a great look at how to navigate the self-sacrificial mandate of our faith when we live in a society that assures us that "I'm important, yo!"
Tarissa
Feb 27, 2013 Tarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to get one thinking about whether you're living in Me-Ville, or if you're truly living for God. I found the chapters to go by, always leaving me with something I could really chew on, ponder, and apply to my life. I think I discovered wonderful insight on how to always keep Christ at the center of your life, and never let the relationship stray.

"The kingdom of God is firmly established because it's the place where our God reigns. Me-Ville is not. Me-Ville is where superbia reigns; it'
Tami Boesiger
Mar 14, 2013 Tami Boesiger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Zimmerman spoke directly to my heart and my desire to rid myself of self-centeredness. There is no easy way to leave Me-Ville. It will hurt because it involves denying self, denying practices and wants that seem normal. But the freedom we find in Thee-ville is worth the pain.

One of my favorite quotes was this: "To the extent we compare ourselves to one another, we are still trapped in the life God is calling us out of." Ouch. And guilty.

I especially appreciated the inclusion of a passage f
Scott Hughes
Sep 08, 2015 Scott Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read yet the author does mix in some challenging words. If anything, and the reason I didn't give it a higher rating, is that he doesn't go far enough in examining the problems and complexities of cultural issues such as consumerism and individualism have on current Christianity. But perhaps I shouldn't have let my desires cloud his work.
Tim
Jan 05, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about how Jesus can displace us from the center of our self-involved lives. It's tough to do in America, but Zimmerman, aided by abundant quotes from the spiritually wise, especially Bonhoeffer, provides a route. It includes spiritual practice and the church and focuses centrally on Jesus. I liked his humorous, self-deprecating tone and found the "escape routes" or exercises at the end of each chapter especially useful. God knows I can use all the help I can get getting over me.
A.J.
Thought Provoking

This book will make you consider your current spiritual position and relationship with Jesus Christ. If you want to live a fuller, more satisfying life - you can have it by doing what this book suggests. Get the focus off of yourself and back to where it should be.
Dennise Gonzalez
Simple necessary truths

Easy to read. It feels like taking a stroll with an old friend who softly but surely talks into your heart the things you need to hear.
I needed this! It's helped me refocus.
Matt Miles
Nov 01, 2012 Matt Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With self awareness and insight, along with a sense of humor, David Zimmerman takes the reader on a journey from Me-Ville to We-Ville, then beyond that toward the City of God as we follow Christ. The honesty of our insidious self-centered tendencies, even (or especially) in worship, makes this a must read for any Christian. There are always three fingers pointing back to the author as well, seeking truth over a false sense of heroism. This would make a great companion to Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Th ...more
Allyson Loretz
Jun 28, 2014 Allyson Loretz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! David Zimmerman somehow found a way to mix his hilarious sense of humor with a very serious challenge to our Christian faith, and it is perfect.
Nathan Hayes
Jul 11, 2015 Nathan Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. One that every up and coming leader or student should read
Miniver Cheevy
Nov 30, 2014 Miniver Cheevy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kindle
Elizabeth
Aug 03, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating : 3.5

I first opened this book in search of a good laugh! I have to say that I was very surprised at the level of depth. In many parts of the book, I felt that my flesh and selfish heart were described shamefully well. I left this book more humble and with a deeper notion of God's truly amazing grace.
Deborah
A good topic, but i wasn't captivated by it. I didn't feel like I heard anything
new. It does have a discussion guide which would make this book a nice group study.
Vince Stegall
Jun 06, 2015 Vince Stegall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-bests
I would challenge every teen and young adult to read this book. Very witty and fun and insightful. Love it, and the author.
Crossbones
Oct 31, 2012 Crossbones marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctrinal-issues
kindle - Doctrinal Issues/Postmodernism
Jessica Abegg
Jessica Abegg marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
JoAlice
JoAlice marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Nicole McAninch
Nicole McAninch rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Shaun Miller
Shaun Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Dave Lowrie
Dave Lowrie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Shane Atkinson
Shane Atkinson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Patrick Browne
Patrick Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
L
L marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
  • Messy Church: A Multigenerational Mission for God's Family
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Good News for Those Trying Harder
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • Beautiful Battlefields
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • The Grace Outpouring: Blessing Others through Prayer
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?

“Adam and Eve each denied their own responsibility when confronted by God because they saw themselves as too important to be wrong, to be weak, to be vulnerable to the shrewdness of a mere serpent. The dramatic increase in self-importance over the turn of the millennium, occurring alongside a steady increase in divorce, white-collar crime, morbid obesity, and high-profile falls from grace, smacks of a similar stink. We’re too important for silly rules. We can’t be expected to keep promises we made after circumstances change. Give us enough time, and we’ll figure out who’s really to blame for the trouble we find ourselves in. Jake” 0 likes
“Journeys are regularly marked by an early exhilaration followed by a waning resolve to finish.” 0 likes