Start by marking “Deliver Us from Me-Ville” as Want to Read:
Deliver Us from Me-Ville

Deliver Us from Me-Ville

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Author David Zimmerman takes readers on a hilarious and honest trip through Me-Ville, a place where it's all about You. David shares his insights on escaping the trap of selfishness.
Published January 1st 2010 by David C Cook (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deliver Us from Me-Ville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deliver Us from Me-Ville

Clint
A joyfully sarcastic look at our own self-absorption from a Christian perspective. This is a great look at how to navigate the self-sacrificial mandate of our faith when we live in a society that assures us that "I'm important, yo!"
Tarissa
Great book to get one thinking about whether you're living in Me-Ville, or if you're truly living for God. I found the chapters to go by, always leaving me with something I could really chew on, ponder, and apply to my life. I think I discovered wonderful insight on how to always keep Christ at the center of your life, and never let the relationship stray.

"The kingdom of God is firmly established because it's the place where our God reigns. Me-Ville is not. Me-Ville is where superbia reigns; it'
Tami Boesiger
David Zimmerman spoke directly to my heart and my desire to rid myself of self-centeredness. There is no easy way to leave Me-Ville. It will hurt because it involves denying self, denying practices and wants that seem normal. But the freedom we find in Thee-ville is worth the pain.

One of my favorite quotes was this: "To the extent we compare ourselves to one another, we are still trapped in the life God is calling us out of." Ouch. And guilty.

I especially appreciated the inclusion of a passage f
CCCfaithathome
Building on the teachings of Thomas Merton and Dietrich Bonhoeffer, David Zimmerman outlines the journey from Me-Ville to God's Kingdom that all Christians must travel (and often, re-travel). The good news is, Jesus is the one who comes to Me-Ville to lead the way out!

Each chapter includes ways that the journey changes us, practices we actively engage in as willing participants on the trip (we aren't just along for the ride, after all), and "Escape Routes" or spiritual practices to try when you
Tim
A book about how Jesus can displace us from the center of our self-involved lives. It's tough to do in America, but Zimmerman, aided by abundant quotes from the spiritually wise, especially Bonhoeffer, provides a route. It includes spiritual practice and the church and focuses centrally on Jesus. I liked his humorous, self-deprecating tone and found the "escape routes" or exercises at the end of each chapter especially useful. God knows I can use all the help I can get getting over me.
Matt Miles
With self awareness and insight, along with a sense of humor, David Zimmerman takes the reader on a journey from Me-Ville to We-Ville, then beyond that toward the City of God as we follow Christ. The honesty of our insidious self-centered tendencies, even (or especially) in worship, makes this a must read for any Christian. There are always three fingers pointing back to the author as well, seeking truth over a false sense of heroism. This would make a great companion to Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Th ...more
Allyson Loretz
I loved this book! David Zimmerman somehow found a way to mix his hilarious sense of humor with a very serious challenge to our Christian faith, and it is perfect.
Elizabeth
My rating : 3.5

I first opened this book in search of a good laugh! I have to say that I was very surprised at the level of depth. In many parts of the book, I felt that my flesh and selfish heart were described shamefully well. I left this book more humble and with a deeper notion of God's truly amazing grace.
Deborah
A good topic, but i wasn't captivated by it. I didn't feel like I heard anything
new. It does have a discussion guide which would make this book a nice group study.
Karel
Oct 31, 2012 Karel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctrinal-issues
kindle - Doctrinal Issues/Postmodernism
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Ali
Ali is currently reading it
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Steven Fekete
Steven Fekete marked it as to-read
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
SarahJoy
SarahJoy is currently reading it
Jaymie
Jaymie marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
victoria johnson
victoria johnson is currently reading it
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jacob Coldwell
Jacob Coldwell is currently reading it
Gloria Sherwood
Gloria Sherwood is currently reading it
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
  • Messy Church: A Multigenerational Mission for God's Family
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • When God Breaks Your Heart: Choosing Hope in the Midst of Faith-Shattering Circumstances
  • The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • God Knows My Name: Never Forgotten, Forever Loved
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • The Grace Outpouring: Blessing Others through Prayer
Comic Book Character Panic!: Markets, Crises, & Crowds in American Fiction Panic!: Markets, Crises, and Crowds in American Fiction (Cultural Studies of the United States)