Start by marking “Deliver Us from Me-Ville” as Want to Read:
Deliver Us from Me-Ville

Deliver Us from Me-Ville

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Author David Zimmerman takes readers on a hilarious and honest trip through Me-Ville, a place where it's all about You. David shares his insights on escaping the trap of selfishness.
Published January 1st 2010 by David C Cook (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deliver Us from Me-Ville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deliver Us from Me-Ville

Clint
A joyfully sarcastic look at our own self-absorption from a Christian perspective. This is a great look at how to navigate the self-sacrificial mandate of our faith when we live in a society that assures us that "I'm important, yo!"
Tarissa
Great book to get one thinking about whether you're living in Me-Ville, or if you're truly living for God. I found the chapters to go by, always leaving me with something I could really chew on, ponder, and apply to my life. I think I discovered wonderful insight on how to always keep Christ at the center of your life, and never let the relationship stray.

"The kingdom of God is firmly established because it's the place where our God reigns. Me-Ville is not. Me-Ville is where superbia reigns; it'
Tami Boesiger
David Zimmerman spoke directly to my heart and my desire to rid myself of self-centeredness. There is no easy way to leave Me-Ville. It will hurt because it involves denying self, denying practices and wants that seem normal. But the freedom we find in Thee-ville is worth the pain.

One of my favorite quotes was this: "To the extent we compare ourselves to one another, we are still trapped in the life God is calling us out of." Ouch. And guilty.

I especially appreciated the inclusion of a passage f
CCCfaithathome
Building on the teachings of Thomas Merton and Dietrich Bonhoeffer, David Zimmerman outlines the journey from Me-Ville to God's Kingdom that all Christians must travel (and often, re-travel). The good news is, Jesus is the one who comes to Me-Ville to lead the way out!

Each chapter includes ways that the journey changes us, practices we actively engage in as willing participants on the trip (we aren't just along for the ride, after all), and "Escape Routes" or spiritual practices to try when you
Tim
A book about how Jesus can displace us from the center of our self-involved lives. It's tough to do in America, but Zimmerman, aided by abundant quotes from the spiritually wise, especially Bonhoeffer, provides a route. It includes spiritual practice and the church and focuses centrally on Jesus. I liked his humorous, self-deprecating tone and found the "escape routes" or exercises at the end of each chapter especially useful. God knows I can use all the help I can get getting over me.
Dennise Gonzalez
Simple necessary truths

Easy to read. It feels like taking a stroll with an old friend who softly but surely talks into your heart the things you need to hear.
I needed this! It's helped me refocus.
Matt Miles
With self awareness and insight, along with a sense of humor, David Zimmerman takes the reader on a journey from Me-Ville to We-Ville, then beyond that toward the City of God as we follow Christ. The honesty of our insidious self-centered tendencies, even (or especially) in worship, makes this a must read for any Christian. There are always three fingers pointing back to the author as well, seeking truth over a false sense of heroism. This would make a great companion to Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Th ...more
Allyson Loretz
I loved this book! David Zimmerman somehow found a way to mix his hilarious sense of humor with a very serious challenge to our Christian faith, and it is perfect.
Elizabeth
My rating : 3.5

I first opened this book in search of a good laugh! I have to say that I was very surprised at the level of depth. In many parts of the book, I felt that my flesh and selfish heart were described shamefully well. I left this book more humble and with a deeper notion of God's truly amazing grace.
Deborah
A good topic, but i wasn't captivated by it. I didn't feel like I heard anything
new. It does have a discussion guide which would make this book a nice group study.
Castrobabble
kindle - Doctrinal Issues/Postmodernism
Brian Creely
Brian Creely is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2015
Eric
Eric added it
Mar 27, 2015
Janet Hernandez
Janet Hernandez marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Ann Griffin
Ann Griffin marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Nicholous
Nicholous marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Christi
Christi marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Russell
Russell marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Messy Church: A Multigenerational Mission for God's Family
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • God Knows My Name: Never Forgotten, Forever Loved
  • Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism
  • The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Vertical Church: What Every Heart Longs for. What Every Church Can Be.
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • When God Breaks Your Heart: Choosing Hope in the Midst of Faith-Shattering Circumstances
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
Comic Book Character Panic!: Markets, Crises, & Crowds in American Fiction Panic!: Markets, Crises, and Crowds in American Fiction (Cultural Studies of the United States)

“Adam and Eve each denied their own responsibility when confronted by God because they saw themselves as too important to be wrong, to be weak, to be vulnerable to the shrewdness of a mere serpent. The dramatic increase in self-importance over the turn of the millennium, occurring alongside a steady increase in divorce, white-collar crime, morbid obesity, and high-profile falls from grace, smacks of a similar stink. We’re too important for silly rules. We can’t be expected to keep promises we made after circumstances change. Give us enough time, and we’ll figure out who’s really to blame for the trouble we find ourselves in. Jake” 0 likes
“Journeys are regularly marked by an early exhilaration followed by a waning resolve to finish.” 0 likes