Start by marking “Dunkle Tage, helles Leben” as Want to Read:
Dunkle Tage, helles Leben

Dunkle Tage, helles Leben

Von der Sinnlichkeit des Augenblicks, von der Einsamkeit, vom Suchen und Finden der Liebe

Als Rosalynn Barry spürt, dass die Liebe zu Leo nach neun Jahren langsam erkaltet, kehrt sie in ihre Heimat Irland zurück. In Kilbride bei Dublin taucht die fünfzigjährige Journalistin in eine Vergangenheit ein, deren Schatten sie verfolgt haben, und entdeckt Wege der Liebe, die sie im
Published March 15th 2010 by Diana (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dunkle Tage, helles Leben, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dunkle Tage, helles Leben

Lydia Presley
Nov 09, 2010 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is it about the Irish? I've always been a sort of melancholy girl, I love overcast days, I find romance in bittersweet endings, so it's natural I'd gravitate toward a book with a description like this one.

What I didn't expect to find was a book that so accurately reflects some emotions that I've been struggling with myself. Now, granted, I'm still about 20 years away from Rosie's age, so while this "coming of age" story is meant for an older generation, it still rings true for the single, c
Kelly
Jan 22, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruminations on aging, love, sex and the meaning of life could be trite, but in the hands of this gifted writer they were funny, poignant and wise. There were so many passages I will copy and keep verbatim, including ruminations on the gift animals give us (“Animals are at the other end of the spectrum from such cold emptiness; they’re compact and warm and specific and they don’t seek for answers because they don’t know there are questions.”) to the importance and nature of love (“…its not just m ...more
Jackie
Oct 30, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is not for everyone, not for young people, perhaps, I loved it. There are all kinds of love, and all kinds of ways to live out a life. The particularly Irish sensibility of this author informs every word and delighted me.
Aline
May 04, 2011 Aline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Rosie has lived and worked around the world. But one day, she decides to go back to Ireland, to take care of Min, her old aunt that raised her. Min is depressed and drinks too much, so Rosie wants to help her: she goes to the library to find books about depression. But the books she finds don't seem interesting to her: they are written for young people. Rosie then decides to start writing her own book, with pieces of advice for the mature people. She gives her own "recipes" to grow old gracefull ...more
Elizabeth Quinn
Fans of Nuala O'Faolain's memoirs will find much that they recognize in this final novel published after her death in 2008. Rosie is a 50-something globe-trotter who comes home to Dublin to care for her 70ish Aunt Min. But in a somewhat unbelievable reversal, Min spends the book gallivanting across the US while Rosie is back in Ireland dealing with a tumble-down ancestral home on the seashore that has just been returned to them by the Irish government. Rosie's story includes a big cast of friend ...more
Collin Shea
Feb 28, 2011 Collin Shea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book, even though I cried my way through much of it. I'm not sure if the crying was because the author died recently, which makes me very sad, because I love her work and wish that there was more to look forward to, or because her writing on the subject of being a middle-aged woman touched so close to home.

Whatever the reason, I didn't mind the crying, because I found the book so lovely in all its Irish melancholy.

I think this book would appeal mostly to women, and probably to women
Alesa
Aug 06, 2016 Alesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A touching and beautifully written examination of middle age (the main character is about 55), mothers and daughters, older women (the aunt, the secondary character, is about 69), the coast of Ireland, family secrets, depression, loneliness, life purpose, creativity and lost opportunities.

One of the delights of the book is the way that elderly Aunt Min kicks up her heels and rediscovers herself, much to her niece's surprise. It's never too late for serendipity, courage and creating a new persona
Lorna
Okay, so I can't say I have much in common with the main character of this book, Rosie, but I did enjoy it, and admire O'Faolain as an author. This book is best described as one of reflection, as Rosie, never married and in her 50s reflects on her life be it past loves, work, or her family. Her work live is in transition, as is her role as perceived caretaker of an aging aunt. You watch Rosie try to define herself in this new phase of life. Beautiful portrayed in Ireland--I too would long to spe ...more
Apr 26, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Wonderful, poignant, sad, funny musings of a woman on the cusp of her life and how to move forward. I have enjoyed O'Faolain's books because of her lovely descriptions and her hard sense approach to life. This is one I will read again because there is so much wisdom and humor in her words. Sad to think we won't have any followups to this one. Just feel happy and full after this banquet of a book.
Erika Mager
Aug 03, 2016 Erika Mager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recently
Es hat mich sehr berührt. Viele Gedanken über das Älterwerden, viele, dich selbst schon gedacht habe.
Eine Frau, die versucht zufrieden zu altern. Und das, ohne den Sinn hinter all dem hier auf Erden zu erkennen.
Ein Buch, zum zweimal lesen. Nichts für Frauen unter 45.
Lisa Welch
This was by no means a horrible book, but I just could not get into it at all. Maybe if I were two decades older, I might identify with the author and her life a little more. This may be the very first book ever that I did not finish!!!!
Kathy
Apr 22, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-bc
Sad, funny, touching, thoughtful...I'll miss Min, Rosie, Andy, Tessa, Peg, Herself "the dog" and Bell the cat. Love the honesty and poignancy that this Irish writer brings to her stories.
Terri Welch
Feb 27, 2015 Terri Welch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it! One of my very best favorites of the year. And it's published by my friend, Trish O'Hare. I encourage all my friends to check it out. Buy it. Read it. And enjoy.
Caroline
Mar 19, 2012 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une femme à la cinquantaine est confrontée à la fin d'une certaine vie: séduction, voyage, amour physique, et doit trouver d'autres chemins pour continuer à vivre la vie à pleines dents.
Leslie Dalton
My Irishness is confirmed, so many of her thoughts have gone through my head albeit not as lyrically or magically expressed. I'll read more of her.
Ms. Online
Published posthumously, O’Faolain’s final novel follows a midlife woman who leaves Dublin for new York City, undergoing transformations of body, mind and soul.
Mary
Feb 16, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. A little hard to get into but worth reading. I love Irish people. It was about facing your older age and letting go of your youth. A look into being a childless woman was interesting.
Jean-Luc
Jean-Luc rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Netti
Netti rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Steven Meyer
Steven Meyer rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Karen rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Vicki Fennessy
Vicki Fennessy rated it liked it
May 04, 2013
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Clair Diones
Clair Diones rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2012
Mary Casey
Mary Casey rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Lillian
Lillian rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Frannie
Frannie rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2010
Eli Klein
Eli Klein rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
David Cairat
David Cairat rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Premier bilan après l'apocalypse
  • Petit traité de manipulation à l'usage des honnêtes gens
  • On n'y voit rien : descriptions
  • Hallucinations: or, The Ill-Fated Peregrinations of Fray Servando
  • Cassie Draws the Universe
  • Sylvia
  • Chez Moi
  • Tsubaki
  • Bony and the Kelly Gang (A Scribner Crime Classics)
  • The War on Moms: On Life in a Family-Unfriendly Nation
  • Nothing More to Lose
  • Une année chez les Français
  • The Samurai Series: The Book of Five Rings, Hagakure -The Way of the Samurai & Bushido - The Soul of Japan
  • Rebetiko
  • L'Orme du Caucase
  • Shadow Child
  • Exit Light
  • Little Town, Great Big Life (Valentine, #8)
Nuala O'Faolain is an Irish journalist, columnist and writer who attended a convent school in the north of Ireland, studied English at University College, Dublin, and medieval English literature at the University of Hull before earning a postgraduate degree in English from Oxford.

She returned to University College as a lecturer in the English department, and later was journalist, TV producer, boo
More about Nuala O'Faolain...