Start by marking “The Valhalla Exchange” as Want to Read:
The Valhalla Exchange

The Valhalla Exchange

A lone journalist unravels the mystery behind a Nazi war criminal's escape. In 1945, as the Allies closed in on war-ravaged Berlin, Hitler's personal secretary, Martin Bormann, made his escape. Since that fateful day, Bormann's story has been shrouded in mystery.Thirty-one years later, a journalist has begun to finally piece together Bormann's cunning getaway. His ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by HarperTorch (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Valhalla Exchange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valhalla Exchange

Pramod Nair
Jack Higgins is a name that is often associated with fast paced and highly engrossing political and espionage thrillers featuring some of the noblest of heroes ever to adorn the thriller genre. Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of ‘Harry Patterson’, a prolific British writer with more than 80 novels, who published his works under his own name as well as under his many other pseudonyms. ‘The Valhalla Exchange’, a World War II thriller, published under his real name ‘Harry Patterson’, is an electrifyi ...more
Thom Swennes
Aug 05, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it
In April 1945, Germany was in ruins and the remnants of the once all-powerful German army was being pressed from all sides by the conquering allies. From that fateful day in June 1944 when the allied forces reestablished a foothold on the beaches of Normandy, the German’s fate was sealed. The Third Reich that was said to last a thousand years was doomed to fail in less than twenty. At the end of April, with the Russian Red Army at the gates of Berlin, panic ruled the day everywhere. Deep down in ...more
Henri Moreaux
Originally published under the the authors true name 'Harry Patterson' the Valhalla Exchange by Jack Higgins is an enjoyable read. Whilst it may be the standard war story mix of a few base facts extrapolated into a tale of heroics and/or adventure in this case it works.

The novel is set in late 1945 and covers the escape of Martin Bormann from Central Berlin (which is under siege on one side by Russia and the other side the United States) to potentially freedom outside and a plan to use 'VIP' pr
Arjün Kaül
Feb 13, 2013 Arjün Kaül rated it it was amazing
This was the first Jack Higgins book I read. I own a copy under the "Harry Patterson" name which is his real name.

This book has a decent plot, great action sequences and great drama. You'll really like Ritter almost instantly.

The location is terrific, the Bavarian alps. Makes for a great scenic situation and the narrative is fast paced and fun.

The role of the "Winter Rose" is special and its something that will haunt you even after you put the book down.

I liked this so much I wrote an instrument
Amy Jackman
May 09, 2013 Amy Jackman rated it really liked it
A very simple concept well executed. Actually put it down for a couple of days because I was scared all the characters were going to die and was disgusted at a betrayal! Very good read.
Lawgotham
Dec 03, 2016 Lawgotham rated it liked it
This is your standard WWII thriller. A journalist tracks the escape of a Nazi luminary as WWII comes to a close.

Engaging, though an easy read. With my busy life, it's easy to pick up at Amy time to continue.
William Brown
Sep 22, 2016 William Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Jack Higgins” is the pseudonym of very prolific British spy novelist named Harry Patterson, who lives on one of the Channel Islands, is 87 years old, and has and has now published a phenomenal 84 suspense novels. He is an experienced professional and prodigious writer who keeps banging them out, but obviously, some are better than others. His all-time best signature piece is The Eagle Has Landed, which was subsequently made into and equally good movie. Most of them center on WW II, Ireland, or ...more
Santanu Dutta
May 06, 2016 Santanu Dutta rated it it was amazing
Altogether a nice read.
Its after a long that i completed any book so fast. I shall definitely post a review in course of time in a couple of days. But at this stage I feel this is a better read than the two books "The Eagle has Landed" and "The Eagle has Flown."
This was the year 1945. Germany facing final defeat in World War II. US and Russian forces marching hard towards Berlin. Many a top Nazi persons were declared war criminals. In those grave situation one man was calm and purposeful in all
D. B.
Sep 06, 2009 D. B. rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: airport layover victims, WWII fanfic admirers, Anglophiles
Shelves: fiction-lit
Jack Higgins may write paperback thrillers that seem out of place if they're displayed anyplace other than in an airport gift shop, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's deserving of the position.

What makes this shoot-em-up different from other fanciful yarns spun out to be untold tales of World War II is the characters. The story itself is a little formulaic and forgettable, but no worse than anything Dan Brown might come up with. And while Higgins' protagonists are trading card clones of gung
A.J. Riccio
Jun 17, 2015 A.J. Riccio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Master Story teller

Whenever I read more than one novel from an author it says that that writer has reached me. Both with his storytelling style and with his/her subject matter. Jack Higgins (Harry Paterson) is such an author. The Valhalla Exchange although a work of fiction reads as non fiction. The plot is one that could very well be factual. We meet the German officer "Ritter" in his dashing black SS uniform with medals adorning it. The Iron Cross radiates from his neck as does his flowing bl
Spencer Warner
For a start I found the entire thing a little confusing and in comparision to other books I have read it doesnt stack up too well. I thought there were a little too many characters with similar names (schmidt, schenk etc) and although I did enjoy the last 150 or so pages of it and read thorugh them fairly fast, I have to give the novel on a whole 3 stars because I just didnt enjoy it as much as other books.
Anne
Feb 11, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
For decades, people have wondered what happened to Martin Borman, Hitler's secretary, and it has been fodder for many fictional reads. This is one of them and it is a well done work which supposes that Borman made his was to South America, as many escaping Nazi's truly did. I enjoyed this read and the possibility of what happened to this man.
Amy Mitchell
This book was a little hard to follow at times but had a very interesting story line. I would so much love to know what was actually true and what was fiction. Just for fun, I'm gonna choose to believe it was all true. Why not?
Kelley
Jul 27, 2014 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
The end days of Nazi Germany is an intriguing setting and leads itself to intense action. Yet, I found some aspects of the story's plot development to be too predictable. Still, it was an entertaining light read.
Fawn Rasmussen
May 22, 2011 Fawn Rasmussen rated it it was ok
I thought this book was a bit boring. I read it while waiting for my plane at the airport and I finished it within the time it took my plane to board. It is a short book and I did end up finishing it so I suppose it wasn't all that bad but definitely not that good either.
S-S-Long
Sep 02, 2016 S-S-Long rated it it was amazing
Very good book, with lots of action. I loved how it tied in with events in WWII era Berlin (I have a huge interest in that era in history, as well as Berlin and Germany itself), and so greatly appreciated the little factoids thrown in amongst the drama. I also liked Ritter as a character, too.
Eric Mccutcheon
Nov 11, 2013 Eric Mccutcheon rated it liked it
Typical Higgins book. Same character types pop up over and over again. I do enjoy both the German and Allied perspectives and I do think that his effort to personalize the typical German soldier is admirable. Easy to read.
William Howle
Aug 11, 2016 William Howle rated it really liked it
It was a typical page turner from Jack Higgins. I have read a lot of his books over the years and have enjoyed them all.
Rich
May 04, 2011 Rich rated it liked it
Audio book. Good. Typical Higgins. Broke it up into four or five runs. Listened to most of it on one long run. Got back to it over a week later and had forgotten a lot of the characters.
Rene'
Nov 10, 2011 Rene' rated it liked it
Older novel taken from a real WWII event. (I was actually looking for the story of the real event.) It was a reminder of the 60's-70's genre and a fun, quick rainy day read.
Johan
Jun 05, 2015 Johan rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. Almost as much as The Eagle has Landed. Has some real interesting characters.
-kevin-
While the book started slowly, it was an intriguing story, and I certainly got caught up in the ending. The ending was not satisfying as there was little resolution.
Jan
Aug 06, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
The last of the general Jack Higgins books that I had not read. Not the best by a long way, but an interesting plot.
David Bruns
Apr 14, 2013 David Bruns rated it it was ok
A good way to pass a long afternoon. Not great literature, but I am a sucker for WWII historical fiction.
Ron
Oct 02, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it
Jack Higgins always writes exciting and action packed books. WWII still has a little action left at the end of the war. I look forward to reading more of his books.
Shamila Abeysinghe
Jun 23, 2016 Shamila Abeysinghe rated it it was amazing
A first-rate thriller; one that needs to be read in a single breath although I took way more time than needed to finish it.
Richard McMaster
Jul 12, 2013 Richard McMaster rated it really liked it
Well written and good read. Historical fiction. Interesting that Jack Higgins is pen name... today's author James Patterson
Frank
Dec 11, 2010 Frank rated it it was amazing
Fact or fiction ... good story, good twists, interesting ending. Worth the read or the listen in my case.
Maureen Simmons
Jan 18, 2014 Maureen Simmons rated it it was amazing
Always enjoy a good book pitting the Allied troops and the Nazis. Some great unexpected twists and turns.
dennis barron
Apr 22, 2015 dennis barron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Valhalla exchange

Excellent read,tremendous amount of action and intrigue. Is the Nazi Borman alive in south America? One Hell of a great book!!
  • Death Force (Death Force, #1)
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • A Thousand Suns
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • The Lure
  • Von Ryan's Express
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • Charlie M (Charlie Muffin, #1)
  • Twinkle, Twinkle Little Spy
  • Exit Wound (Nick Stone, #12)
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • For My Country's Freedom (Richard Bolitho, #23)
  • Bunker 13
  • The God Decrees
  • The Mountain of Gold  (The Journals of Matthew Quinton, #2)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • The Fall of Berlin
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...