Start by marking “Jack O' Judgement” as Want to Read:
Jack O' Judgement

Jack O' Judgement

From the 1950's Ward, Lock Dust Jacket:
Jack O' Judgment, that light-hearted, insouciant, masked mystery man, who sets out to expose a gang of daring crooks who are amassing millions regardless of their methods, is a book to read at a sitting. We are carried, spell-bound, through every page of what can justly be described as one of the late Edgar Wallace's best and most ex
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Jack O' Judgement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack O' Judgement

Julie Davis
Oct 13, 2010 Julie Davis rated it really liked it
Who was the mysterious avenger whose hooded form sent terror into the dark haunts of the underworld? Criminal mastermind Colonel Dan Boundary fights two enemies — Stafford King, a dedicated detective, and Jack O'Judgment, a mysterious figure bent on vigilante justice.The tale opens with the murder of "Snow" Gregory, a drug lord linked with Boundary. ...

Continuing my investigation of old-time, public domain mysteries on my Kindle, I have encountered much praise of Edgar Wallace. I have just begun
Oct 02, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books by this author popped up in my recommendations list so thought I'd give one a go. One of the reasons for me going on Goodreads was to occasionally try new books of genres that I'd not normally go for. Jack O'Judgement seemed to be the book most people suggested starting with by Edgar Wallace. I downloaded it free from my local library but it is available on Project Gutenberg.

I'd describe it as a crime/mystery novel. The subject matter of criminals versus detectives and their surrounding e
Leah A. A.
Criminal mastermind Col. Dan Boundary fights two enemies, Stafford King, a dedicated detective, and Jack O'Judgment, a mysterious figure bent on vigilante justice.

The novel opens with the murder of "Snow" Gregory, a doper linked with Boundary. (I was surprised to learn that "snow" was slang for cocaine as far back as 1920, and addicts were just as common then as now.)

Naturally, there is also a love interest, actress Maisie White, daughter of one of Boundary's associates, who's sought after by
Pamela
Jun 22, 2015 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not one of Wallace's best. Although the methodology of the bad guys (buying property for a fraction of it's value as an alternative to blackmail payments) is clever, I just couldn't get past the silliness of the "Jack O' Judgment" and his pronouncements. Granted, he wasn't supposed to be silly, but gimme a break--he was silly. Even the name...I kept picturing this giant jack-in-the-box thing similar to Michael Keaton in "Betelguese."

Judy
Jun 05, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, a free download to my Kindle. It was not until the very end that the identity of Jack O'Judgement is revealed. The Boundary Gang, headed by "Colonel" Boundary, the blackmailer extraordinaire, is "picked off," one by one by the Jack O'Judgement. The book was well written and I enjoyed it.
Holly
Apr 01, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
A fascinating story in which I recognized more than a few scenes from (of all things) Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Well-developed characters and just enough plot twists.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2009
Sheila Mayura Reddy
Sheila Mayura Reddy rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2017
stefano
stefano rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Shari
Shari rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
May 23, 2011
Suzanne Oliver
Suzanne Oliver rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2009
Nakkeerar
Nakkeerar rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2014
Nandini
Nandini rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Darleen Woodman
Darleen Woodman rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2016
B. Zedan
B. Zedan rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2009
Fre
Fre rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Richard Genova
Richard Genova rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Antonella
Antonella rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Satyen
Satyen rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Phil Cotto
Phil Cotto rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Vasanthan Panchavarnam
Vasanthan Panchavarnam rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Johnptc
Johnptc rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Divad
Divad rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
Divya
Divya rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Audrey Hallows
Audrey Hallows rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard Horatio Edgar Wallace (April 1, 1875-February 10, 1932) was a prolific British crime writer, journalist and playwright, who wrote 175 novels, 24 plays, and countless articles in newspapers and journals.

Over 160 films have been made of his novels, more than any other author.

In the 1920s, one of Wallace's publishers claimed that a quarter of all books read in England were written by him.

He i
More about Edgar Wallace...