Start by marking “Decision at Thunder Rift: Book One of The Saga of the Gray Death Legion” as Want to Read:
Decision at Thunder Rift: Book One of The Saga of the Gray Death Legion

Decision at Thunder Rift: Book One of The Saga of the Gray Death Legion (BattleTech Universe #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  569 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Battletech is the exciting and innovative role-playing game of a future world that combines non-stop action with state-of-the-art technology. To claim the title of MechWarrior, all Grayson Death Carlyle has to do is capture a giant killing machine--a BattleMech--by himself. That is, if it doesn't kill him first.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Decision at Thunder Rift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decision at Thunder Rift

Nlindgren
A Battlemech pilot's father is killed (not a spoiler, because the book practically begins with the event), and he must take revenge while engaging in neo-feudal power plays typical of the Battletech universe. Said power plays are, unfortunately, rather uninteresting and confusing while still ostensibly relevant, and the revenge story is bog-standard.

The peripheral characters feel similarly irrelevant and two-dimensional, making it difficult to care about their fates, and all the setting exposit
Randy
The beginning of the Gray Death Legion is one of the first novels to expand on the Battletech role playing game. The great thing about the novels is that they stand apart from the tabletop game. No knowledge of the game is required. As one of the first, it's also one of the best jumping on points for new readers. There is a lot of game-established jargon here, but Keith Jr. does a wonderful job of explaining each term and providing just enough description to not read like a dictionary.

The novel
Eric Lawson
I first read the Battletech series around 20 years ago when I was playing the boardgame that the series is based upon. Now much later I am reading them again and it is going to be interesting to see how they stand up.

Decision at Thunder Rift the first in the 7 book series about the Grey Death Legion. Grayson Death Carlyle is training to be a Mechwarrior in his father's regiment. They are garrisoned on the world of Trellwan a world of extremes where the year is 45 standard days long, and the day
Tim Gray
It's Battletech Old School - and the Marauder is still the coolest looking mech around (even if the cover picture doesn't do it justice). As a straight piece of military sci fi this book does ok, but it's the Battlemech's themselves that are the stars, more so than the characters - had to give 4 stars just for nostalgia value.
Lee
Good, took a while to draw me in though. Excelled on the action scenes I thought, but it lacked a little when it came to character depth and development. It took longer than average for me to get through because it just didn't suck me in and make me want to read it until the book was over half finished.
Michael T Bradley
OK, I gave up on this one as well. Not as horrible as "Sword & the Dagger," but still fairly dull. The next (in chronological order) trilogy is by Michael Stackpole, so that'll be my do or die series. If I can't stand it also, I guess Battletech is dead to me.
Mphecker
I wasn't sure what to expect from an old Battletech novel, but I remember Frank telling me this was a great book back in our high school days. Good lord was he right. I loved the characters, the combat was interesting, and the politics weren't overbearing, as I've seen in some of the later Battletech novels. I loved this one, both as historical background for Battletech and as a just-plain-fun action/adventure novel. Highly recommended if you can find a copy.
Royal Conyers
Great seris of books
H.L. Reasby
Following the exploits of a young mech-warrior who witnessed the virtual destruction of his mercenary unit, and the murder of his father, Decision at Thunder Rift introduces us to Grayson Death Carlyle and illustrates how simply doing what it takes to survive can turn an ordinary man into a hero.
Bradley
Classic Battletech story. Reminds me so much of high school days gathered with friends pretending to battle with machines of destruction on a hex grid game board. Lovely action, drama, and explosive action. Definitely a keeper! =)
Augustinas Vee
Good to get the history of the Gray Death Legion- though the writing style is a bit clunky at times. It feels like every female character he introduces must be dated by the third act. Still an enjoyable read, though.
Timothy
Set before the clan invasion and the first trilogy in the greatest shared universe of all time. And featuring the greatest merc unit in knownspace :) a must read for all military sci fi fans.
Nocheevo
War of the Roses intrigue reimagined in a science fiction setting exploring the depths of the human condition in a way only possible throught he use of 30m tall Bipedal War Machines. Stuff blows up
Christian
Mein erstes Battletech-Buch das ich mir damals auf Sylt gekauft habe - es hat mir unheimlich gut gefallen. Letztendlich bin ich dadurch auf das Tischspiel gekommen.
Granger44
This is the first Battletech book that I read that used the Inner Sphere. While it starts off a bit slow, the book ends with a bang.
Steve
Entry novel to introduce a cast of characters ...if you like Mechwarrior Universe you will like the series.
João Martins
Predictable, but better literature than the previous one.
Brook
reliving my childhood love of mechs.
Muller Of
Muller Of marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
  • Warrior: Riposte (The Warrior Trilogy, #2)
  • Operation Audacity
  • Freebirth (Twilight of the Clans, #4)
  • The Hunters (Twilight of the Clans, #3)
  • Wolves on the Border
  • Storms of Fate
  • Ideal War
20444
Bill Keith was raised in the mountains of western Pennsylvania, and served in the Navy as a corpsman for many years. In addition to writing fiction and non-fiction works, he is an award-winning illustrator/artist.

He has also published under the psuedonyms:
Ian Douglas (SF series: Heritage, Legacy, Inheritance, Star Carrier series)
H. Jay Riker (SEALS:The Warrior Breed series)
Keith Douglass (Carrier
More about William H. Keith Jr....

BattleTech Universe (1 - 10 of 95 books)
  • The Sword and the Dagger (Battletech)
  • Mercenary's Star (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #2)
  • Price of Glory (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #3)
  • Warrior: En Garde (The Warrior Trilogy, #1)
  • Warrior: Riposte (The Warrior Trilogy, #2)
  • Warrior: Coupé (The Warrior Trilogy, #3)
  • Wolves on the Border
  • Heir to the Dragon
  • Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood Legacy (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #2)
Bolo Rising Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4) Mercenary's Star (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #2) Price of Glory (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #3) Warstrider (Warstrider, #1)