Start by marking “A Touch of Strange” as Want to Read:
A Touch of Strange

A Touch of Strange

'Winner of both Hugo and Nebula Awards, Theodore Sturgeon has established his reputation as one of the most original and provocative of SF writers.

Here are nine masterpieces of imagination from the period of his finest creativity. Included are "The Pod in the Barrier", "The Other Celia", Affair with a Green Monkey", "The Touch of Your Hand", and more.

The name of Theodore
Published April 4th 1978 by DAW (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Touch of Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Touch of Strange

Dagny
Jul 27, 2013 Dagny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this collection over fifty years ago and The Other Celia has stayed in my mind all these years. What a concept; absolutely unforgettable.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Oct 14, 2011 Kurt Reichenbaugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: pulp, sci-fi
Recently I was lucky enough to find a handful of vintage Theodore Sturgeon collections at a used bookstore near my house. It's taken me some years and wisdom to appreciate Sturgeon's craft at creating a story, but I've finally come around. This collection contains seven stories, all from the 1950's. Standouts, for me, are "Mr. Costellor, Hero" about the politics of fear let loose, "Affair with a Green Monkey" sexual labels and an extra-terrestrial who needs to be shown how to behave like a man, ...more
James
Sep 17, 2010 James rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this Sturgeon collection very much, cover to cover (more or less). Of the seven short stories contained within, I like six of them VERY much. I was especially wowed by "Mr. Costello, Hero," "The Touch of Your Hand," and "The Other Celia" -- but even the less than superb (in my estimation) stories in this book are full of charm and insight.

While none of the stories in "A Touch of Strange" are as humorous as "Derm Fool" or as full of pathos as "Die, Maestro, Die" (from two other collect
Carol Tensen
Jun 16, 2014 Carol Tensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Reading A Touch of Strange, I can see why Bradbury and Vonnegut looked up to Sturgeon. His stories are wonderfully original. The characters in "A Touch of Strange" have contact with mythological beings, then the story takes a turn back to the ordinary, and knocks our socks off. Sturgeon was fascinated with morality and amorality; he uses Angel/Policemen to deal with this theme in "It Opens Up the Sky". "Affair With a Green Monkey" would have been a shining addition to The Fiend, Playboy's Magazi ...more
Bill
Feb 01, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
A Touch of Strange is a collection of 9 short stories by Theodore Sturgeon. This is my first attempt at reading Sturgeon's unique brand of science fiction. It did take me a bit to get used to his writing style, but as I read through the stories, I enjoyed them more and more. Some had nice positive endings, some somewhat confusing endings and The Girl Had Guts was quite scary, reminding me a bit of Aliens. The title story, A Touch of Strange was just as the title states, strange. This book was or ...more
Rena Sherwood
Here's a photo of Theodore Sturgeon (and friend), one of the Grand Masters of Sci Fi (according to my mind, anyway.)

description

His imagination was prodigious, but he did center his stories around people instead of "special effects" like alien worlds or space travel. He has dozens (is seems) of anthologies out just devoted to his short stories. A Touch of Strange is not one of his best, but still good enough for someone wanting to read sci fi or just creepy stories in general.

This collection is bookended b
Zantaeus Glom
This is my first exposure to the wonderful phantasmagoria of Theodore Sturgeon and it most certainly won't be my last. In fact, as son as I finished reading it I ordered a copy of 'E Pluribus Unicorn'. I don't think it's an exaggeration to state that Mr. Sturgeon is one of the finest practitioners of fantastic fiction; he has the ability to captivate you immediately by dint of his agile, beautiful prose, and then take you on a truly magical etheric-exodus to worlds of meta-mystic strangeness.

Th
Bad-at-reading
Two anti-homophobic stories, "Affair With a Green Monkey" and "The Other Celia" (the latter is a more elegant narrative but the former's stance is explicit and much more radical), and the marvelously gross "The Girl Had Guts" (pairs nicely with the similarly unpretentious pulp gem "Killdozer!"), are unforgettable. The other six offerings suffer, usually from that unique combination of clumsy morals ("It Opens The Sky") and/or purple prose ("The Touch of Your Hand") that marks many of Sturgeon's ...more
Rod
Apr 04, 2015 Rod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I'm a sucker for Sturgeon. Some of his stories can seem (and are) a bit corny at first and from this vantage point, and yet there is "a touch of strange" that lingers with the reader long after the details are forgotten; an opening to the mystery that undergirds human relationships and life in general. This collection has the story ("The Girl Had Guts") that purportedly supplied some of the inspiration for the movie, "Alien".
Devowasright
Apr 07, 2009 Devowasright rated it really liked it
reminds me much of the alfred hitchock presents magazines i read as a wee lad. some twilight zone-ish careful-what-you-wish-for type stories, but the last few were works of incredible imagination. loved it.

(18)
James Hold
Jan 03, 2017 James Hold rated it liked it
Sturgeon is 50-50 with me. He's either really good, or else unreadable.
He does appear to be a favorite of Stephen King though as that "author" has ripped off Sturgeon's "Killdozer" more than once...and probably made more money from it than TS would ever hope to see.
Aaron
Oct 15, 2013 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First work of Sturgeon’s that disappointed me. It’s rare to find a collection of short stories without one compelling entry, especially from such a world class author, but here it is, a blah collection of blah stories by Sturgeon.
Bob Rust
Oct 19, 2016 Bob Rust rated it it was amazing
Mr. Costello, Hero • (1953)
The Touch of Your Hand • (1953)
Affair with a Green Monkey • (1957)
A Crime for Llewellyn • (1957)
It Opens the Sky • (1957)
A Touch of Strange • (1958)
The Other Celia • (1957)
The Pod in the Barrier • (1957)
The Girl Had Guts • (1957)
colleen
Dec 21, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
read 05.20.84
Robert Walrod
Dec 11, 2014 Robert Walrod rated it liked it
Highlights - "Mr. Costello, Hero," "The Girl Had Guts," "The Other Celia," "A Touch of Strange."
Billy
Jan 30, 2016 Billy rated it really liked it
Highlights include "A Crime For Llewellyn," "It Opens the Sky," and the uber-creepy "The Other Celia."
Amanda Rutendo
Feb 15, 2016 Amanda Rutendo rated it it was amazing
some of the stories really need logic to be understood..i liked a crime for lliwyen the most
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Science Fiction
Mike S
Nov 22, 2016 Mike S rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
Nine really great stories by a really great author. His name is on my list of favorites, I'd read anything by Sturgeon.
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Cole Roberts
Cole Roberts rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Rob Rice
Rob Rice rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Ryan rossi
Ryan rossi rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Jude Dumont
Jude Dumont rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Tyrion
Tyrion rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Fred Gannett
Fred Gannett rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2011
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Iniondia
Iniondia rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2008
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • Born with the Dead
  • A Dream of Wessex
  • Untouched By Human Hands
  • Beyond the Tomorrow Mountains (Children of the Star, #2)
  • Fireflood and Other Stories
  • The Left Hand of the Electron
  • Lost Worlds: Volume 1: Zothique, Averoigne and Others
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • The Dark Light Years
  • The Book of Philip Jose Farmer
  • Telempath
  • Empire Star
  • Too Many Magicians (Lord Darcy, #2)
  • Gate of Ivrel (Morgaine & Vanye, #1)
Theodore Sturgeon (1918–1985) is considered one of the godfathers of contemporary science fiction and dark fantasy. The author of numerous acclaimed short stories and novels, among them the classics More Than Human, Venus Plus X, and To Marry Medusa, Sturgeon also wrote for television and holds among his credits two episodes of the original 1960s Star Trek series, for which he created the Vulcan m ...more
More about Theodore Sturgeon...