Start by marking “A Wedding Quilt for Ella (Little Valley, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Wedding Quilt for Ella (Little Valley, #1)

A Wedding Quilt for Ella (Little Valley #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Ella Yoder's wedding with Aden Wengerd and the building of their dream house is set for June. But when Aden is suddenly taken from her, Ella begins to doubt God's love. When her family pressures her to marry the new young bishop, Ella asks for six months to heal from Aden's death. Meanwhile, Aden's brother, Daniel, helps Ella build her dream house based on a drawing by Ell ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Harvest House Publishers (first published November 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Wedding Quilt for Ella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wedding Quilt for Ella

The Shunning by Beverly  LewisWhen the Heart Cries by Cindy WoodsmallThe Covenant by Beverly  LewisThe Betrayal by Beverly  LewisThe Sacrifice by Beverly  Lewis
Best of Amish Fiction
81st out of 199 books — 174 voters
Sisters of the Quilt by Cindy WoodsmallBeside Still Waters by Tricia GoyerThe Mercy by Beverly  LewisThe Judgment by Beverly  LewisThe Wonder of Your Love by Beth Wiseman
2011 Best Amish Books Read
31st out of 36 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Natalie
Ok, I DNFed this book at 55% percent. I try to avoid this because I feel bad about not being able to finish books that I set out to finish. This book had issues. I felt it was unclear with the setting and a few other things.
Shari Larsen
This is not an Amish romance as the title implies, it is more of a story of grief. Ella is young woman whose life in her Amish community is well established. She is ready to leave childhood behind and marry Aden, the man she loves, when he dies unexpectedly.
She grieves her loss deeply, and does not intend to marry again, but a few months later a young bishop asks to court her, and she feels pressure from her parents to move on with her life and consider marriage again.

When her fiance's brother D
Cindy

Ella Yoder is on top of the world, she is in love with a wonderful young Amish man, and they are soon to be married, but one tragic day will change all of that. When her intended Aden becomes ill, he really does not think it is serious, he did not find out in time, how serious it was. His appendix had ruptured and the poison leaked into his body, causing his death. His family, his community and his beloved Ella are shocked. How can Aden be gone? He was so full of life and happy, and now there is
Camille
A Wedding Quilt for Ella by Jerry S. Eicher

I am actually on it this month with reading our group read on time!

Ella Yoder is just a short time away from marrying the love of her life, Aden Wengerd. She couldn't be more excited as he is absolutely and completely the man for her. Kind, loving, gentle, respectful and oh-so-handsome, Ella couldn't imagine her life being any happier.

Just as they are about to start building their dream house, tragedy strikes. Ella receives news that Aden has died sudde
Cathy
In the early to mid 90s I committed myself to read all quilt related fiction. At that time there wasn't much and some were hard to find. Quilts appearing in fiction seems to abound now, it seems as I read one another takes it's place, so I feel farther behind than ever.
The website I used for inspiration also doesn't keep up.
and sadly the quality doesn't keep up either.
I can't really think why this book is so disappointing, it just doesn't flow. There are t
Paula-O
First time I have read Jerry Eicher,s amish stories, Book #1 of Little Valley series "A Wedding Quilt for Ella"..
This story had so much sadness to it but still told a good story of Ella and how she learns to deal with grief.
almost from the beginning she loses her special friend Aden when he dies suddenly. Before she has learned to cope with this death another in the community loses his girl that was soon to be his wife.
A brother has a terrible barnyard accident and miracle when he survives.
Many
Diane U
Ella Yoder is getting married soon until tragedy takes her true love, Aden, away from her. Her life has been changed forever. She is having difficulty moving on with her life and vows never to love again. When she receives a marriage proposal from the young bishop, for her parent's sake, she does not turn him away immediately as she wished but told him to come back in six months. During that time, Aden's brother, Daniel, tells her about the money that Aden saved to build her a house. After talki ...more
Rachel Brand
This book took me a long time to read, partly because I had a lot of other books to read for university that I had to finish by specific deadlines, and partly because this book just didn't grip me. For the most part, it was a quick and easy read. While the speech sometimes seems stilted and forced, it wasn't too badly written, so it wasn't as if I was stumbling over awkward prose. A few of my friends adored this book, while others found it difficult to enjoy. I tried not to start this book with ...more
Kate
‘A Wedding Quilt for Ella’ is not a typical mostly-lighthearted read. Within pages of the beginning, Ella’s fiance is taken from her unexpectedly, and she feels her life start to spiral out of control. As the troubles mount in their close-knit community, Ella must figure out for herself what it means to trust God’s will, and realise that even in the midst of difficulties, God still does love her. Ella begins to find healing in reaching out to others in their sorrows, and in making plans to move ...more
Michele
I really enjoyed it...I am familiar with Amish ways....and this book did a great job showing how relying on one's faith, however different it is from my own, can get you through a bad time and that there really is a bright spot to be found in almost any situation, regardless how small that bright spot is. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.

My only complaint is one part of the book, the horse gets into the grain and they said he was foundering.....no, he was colicking. Founder is anoth
Paulette
One of my favorite Amish authors. Easy going style, love them all.
Mayda
In this Amish novel, weeks before her long awaited wedding day, tragedy strikes the intended groom, and the bride-to-be is left to pick up the pieces. Her parents have their prescription to remedy the situation. Will she acquiesce to their wishes? While there is nothing wrong with the premise of this story – the first in a trilogy – it is rather slow moving. If the author wished to mimic and reflect the slow-moving life-style of the Amish in his novel, he has certainly succeeded. I felt like I s ...more
April Suter
Ella is making her wedding quilt. It is all done but the center. The finishing the quilt becomes a healing device and she uses her sister's drawing of a house for the center. The saying death comes in threes haunts the community. The characters struggle with the accepting why things happen and the will of God. I enjoyed reading about the family's relationship with each other.

Advice: Wait until book #2 in the series is out before you start reading. The end leaves you hanging.

283 pages
Kim
This author does not embrace the Amish lifestyle as other authors do. I found his repetative "journal writing" sections of the book distracting and very unappealing. If I were an English teacher I would say he did this to simply take up space as all of the journaling sections were merely repeats of what he had already written. I was not over all impressed with this book. While I did finish it and will keep it I am not sure that I would read it again.
Jodi
This one was a little different than a lot of Amish books I've read. Ella's wedding is originally planned for June while in other books I've always read that the Amish weddings take place in November. I was also a little surprised that Ella was planning to live in a house on her own. That seems a bit unusual for single young Amish women. Overall I did really enjoy the book and look forward to reading the next book in the series
Gail
This book started off very slow for me and I had a hard time getting into it! However it got better as I realized what actually was going on!
Started off with a death or should I say more than one death and ended up with a young Amish girl getting a house built for her! I know it sounds a little bizarre but it all ends up coming together hence the 4 star rating!
Marg
Apr 22, 2011 Marg rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Did not like this book! did not finish!! It is not as good or believable as many of the other Amish novels I have read. Did not like the characters. Did not like the negative feeling of God I felt in the couple of hours I spend reading parts this book.

First the wedding was planned for June. Are not most Amish weddings planned for after harvest in the fall.
Jocelyn Gunter
I wish you could do a 1/2 star...I'd give 2 1/2. The story was good but wasn't too exciting or veer much. It was just like reading a years time of storyline for one girl...I wanted to know what happened after it got started. I was hooked from the beginning being such a sad way to start but it would be my first choice to read.
Linda Bourg
You ever heard of the unending story, well that's what this felt like. The storyline just dragged on and on. Its a story of death, sorrow and mourning. I was hoping for more of a love story on this one, but if that is what you are expecting, this book is so not that lol. It was an ok book.
Karen
This book kept me guessing what was going to happen and I didn't get closure at the end. It's ok since there are more books on what looks like the same person (Ella) so I assume this series is a story of her so I won't get real closure until the very last book. I liked the book though.
Lynne Young
This was a wonderful first book in a new series! I can't wait for the second one! Ella becomes like a sister in this book and you feel what she is feeling. All of the emotion that goes with loss and coming to terms with it while being a part of a large family.
Kelly
I've read Amish fiction many times before, and enjoyed it. This, however, was not up to par. It was a forced and contrived plot that centers around the mantra 'bad things come in threes'. Readable, but not recommendable.
Rachel
This book is the first in the series. I have read the first two of three. I won't share the story line but if you enjoy a quiet read that isn't overly sexual and weaves romance and some mystery this is a good read.

Dee Leach
This is the most boring book ever. I know her fiance died but the whole first part of the book is just getting through his funeral. I typically like Amish style books but this was a flop.
Rachel
This series is the best that I've read by Jerry Eicher so far. The characters are a bit more rounded out than in other books he's written,and I really like the plots.

I like a good Amish romance but there were some dialogue inconsistencies throughout the series that made them a little harder to read than some others.
Judy Bullard
This book was just OK - not nearly as good as many of the other Amish stories. Very little plot.
Debbie West
great book interesting story line and characters. can't wait to get second book Ella's Wish
Carolyn E
Mar 11, 2012 Carolyn E rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I enjoyed this book. Am planning to read the other books in this series.
Lynne Kravitt
Awesome book.
  • A Widow's Hope (Miller Family, #1)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • Winter's Awakening (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana #1)
  • Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1)
  • Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters, #1)
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1)
  • An Amish Love
  • The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County, #1)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • The Promise of an Angel (Heaven On Earth, #1)
  • Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1)
Jerry Eicher’s bestselling Amish fiction (more than 210,000 in combined sales) includes The Adams County Trilogy, the Hannah’s Heart books, and the Little Valley Series. After a traditional Amish childhood, Jerry taught for two terms in Amish and Mennonite schools in Ohio and Illinois. Since then he’s been involved in church renewal, preaching, and teaching Bible studies. Jerry lives with his wife ...more
More about Jerry S. Eicher...
Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1) Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1) Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1) Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2) Rebecca's Return (Adams County, #2)