Start by marking “Best Destiny (Star Trek)” as Want to Read:
Best Destiny (Star Trek)

Best Destiny (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,300 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
As James T. Kirk prepares to retire from a long and illustrious Starfleet career, events in a distant part of the Federation draw him back to a part of the galaxy he had last visited as a young man, a mysterious world called Faramond whose name takes Kirk on a journey back to his youth. At sixteen, Kirk is troubled, estranged from his father, and has a bleak future. Howeve ...more
Paperback, First Pocket Books Paperback Edition, 398 pages
Published November 1st 1993 by Pocket Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Best Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Destiny

Sud666
Jun 22, 2016 Sud666 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Best Destiny is the story of the development of two men. The story starts 45 years before the events of ST VI: Undiscovered Country. A 16 year old, rebellious, trouble-making and downright snotty "Jimmy" Kirk runs away from home to get aboard a ship in order to be a deckhand. Promptly "recovered" by his father, a Starfleet Security officer. Deciding to teach his troublesome son some lessons he and Captain April take Jimmy on a routine exploration mission. Of course nothing is routine about this ...more
LemmiSchmoeker
Jun 14, 2016 LemmiSchmoeker rated it did not like it
Okay, I'm sorry. I've tried, but I couldn't even bring myself to read more than thirty pages of this drivel. The psychological depth could maybe impress a very dim twelve-year-old. The dialogue seems to have been rewritten over and over again until it has become pure creative writing: there is now nothing but conflict.

The worst part is that Carey (and apparently Gregory Brodeur, who credits himself as a co-author in the foreword) try so hard to be brooding and foreboding in every other paragraph
Charles
Apr 03, 2015 Charles rated it it was amazing
Like so many of the greatest commanders in history, James T. Kirk was a rebellious teenager, driving his Star Fleet father George Kirk to the brink of frustrated parental defeat. In his first attempt to show his son what Star Fleet was all about, Jimmy Kirk experienced the brutality of Kodos’ own brand of survival techniques. When Jimmy leads his gang in an attempt to run away on an ocean ship, George tries one last time to alter his son’s life course.
Although the mission is designed to be a
Glen Stripling
Aug 12, 2014 Glen Stripling rated it it was amazing
As a Trekie, I have wondered how James T. Kirk came to be the commander of the USS Enterprise. As a sci-fi writer I have longed for a tale that shows how a series of events could transform a futuristic Huck Finn into the disciplined responsible character I grew up watching on TV.

That was why I had to get my hands on the novel BEST DESTINY, (Pocket Books) by Diane Carey that describes Kirk's early life. Carey's novel is the story of George and Winona Kirk and their frustrating battle to save thei
Brian Lewis
Apr 20, 2015 Brian Lewis rated it liked it
I really didn't like the book to begin with. The characters were highly exaggerated, stereotypical teenagers that cause grief to everyone around them for the sole purpose of doing so. I felt that Star Trek was suppose to be a divergence from our current culture, however, the book read far too much as a modern day juvenile fiction novel. Another issue I had with the book was the propensity of invented words and flowery descriptions. I don't mind technical jargon, especially in a sci-fi novel, how ...more
Neil
Love this quote [statement] [so far] on page 74 by James T. Kirk: "I was too busy finding out I wasn't perfect."

final thots:

I actually enjoyed this book the second time around. I remember reading it when it first came out and not liking it very much. I bought it cheap recently and re-read it. It had a decent flow to it. Almost a 'sequel' to 'Final Frontier' in that it brings back characters introduced in that book. It also takes place after 'Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country'. It has a decent f
David King
Jan 07, 2013 David King rated it really liked it
“Best Destiny” by Diane Carey is more or less a sequel to “Final Frontier”, another of Carey’s novels which I previously read. Whilst there is a basic framing story based around an attempt to rescue another Starfleet ship by the soon to be retired James T. Kirk, the main portion of the story follows the antics of a young 16 year old Jimmy Kirk. As a teenager Kirk has a lot of pent up anger against his father and seems destined to for a life of gangs and crime. However, Kirk’s father decides to m ...more
Matt R. R.
Jan 03, 2012 Matt R. R. rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read from Diane Carey... I really enjoy the "old-school navy" and "intrepid explorer" vibes she throws into her work. It makes Starfleet seem all the more grounded in reality and understandable ideals, as well as truly presenting a future where humanity's moved past so many of its current problems and built a grander destiny for itself.

Her understanding of the James T. Kirk is impeccable, and with Best Destiny, she deftly handles the adventures of a teenage Kirk and the seasone
M. David Loyal
Oct 08, 2012 M. David Loyal rated it really liked it
While I was visiting my brother-in-law, he suggested and then lent me a Star Trek book – Best Destiny. Best Destiny follows James T. Kirk’s first time in outer space. He is 16 years old and absolutely filled with teenage angst. He is furious with his father, who is a Star Fleet security officer and is very much absent from Jimmy’s day-to-day life. Jimmy is taken up to the Star Ship Enterprise, captained by Robert April, and of course, something goes wrong, and they meet some pirates who also hav ...more
Sean Wicks
Apr 11, 2013 Sean Wicks rated it it was ok
Back when I was a tween and teen, I read every Star Trek book I could get my hands on. I grew out of them, but as I was packing recently I came across this title that was given to me back in the early 1990s as a Christmas gift. I will never not read or use something that someone has given me, so before I pass it on I gave it a read.

It took me a while because I wasn't all that excited about it, and it was a continuation of sorts of another Star Trek book I read back in the 1980s called Final Fro
Amy
Jun 27, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
After watching the new Star Trek movie that shows Kirk's parallel-universe beginnings, I wanted to read this book. Parts of Kirk's childhood in the new movie were based off of it, plus I was just curious to find out more about Kirk as a youngster since I hadn't liked his character much until the new movie.

Well, I enjoyed the meat of the book: an exciting action plot that brings Kirk from hoodlum to young man. Lots of father-son themes going on in there, and learning more about Kirk's dad helped
John Chevalier
Jan 18, 2015 John Chevalier rated it it was amazing
This gives a great backstory on how Captain Kirk learned that he wanted to go to Starfleet. The ending was a little too quick, I believe that this could have been better developed. Still a very good book and one that I couldn't put down.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 28, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
There are moments where this book dives off the deep end of sentimentalism...but only moments...which leaves 85% of the novel to be brilliant. This is a superb & exacting look at a young James Kirk, and the inner demons & conflicts that drove him to become such a legendary starship Captain. Ironically, its details fit in surprisingly well with the new time-line started by the 2009 Trek film...which only enhances both the character and Diane Carey's skill. This book is miles away from the ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite Star Trek novels, particularly for its focus on my favorite Star Trek Character, James T. Kirk as a teen, and his relationship with his father. It's a good extrapolation of what the young Kirk might have been like--the flaws and virtues that came out in the man and leader, often flip sides of the same quality. (“Jimmy,” he asked, “when is it going to dawn on you that rules exist for a reason?" Lines said after an incident that would definitely hammer down the lesson. Y ...more
Crystal
Jun 26, 2015 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a really enjoyable read! I had never thought of young Kirk as a delinquent (usually figured he would be an Eagle Scout, straight A's, football quarterback, you get the idea) but apparently J.J. Abrams did in his ST reboot as well. This one is action-packed, maybe a bit slow to get started but once you get through the first couple of chapters, it's a roller-coaster.
Michael T Bradley
Dec 31, 2015 Michael T Bradley rated it did not like it
Whoops, this is another flashback story about Kirk's dad & his admiral buddy or whatever, only this time including Teen Kirk. Not interested.
Athena Braun
Mar 27, 2010 Athena Braun rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Before the movie there was Best Destiny. The story about how Jimmy Kirk became James T. Kirk, The captain of the Enterprise. Kirk's retirement is looming & the enterprise is being replaced by a newer stlye of starship. Uhura picks up a distress call & a place from Kirk's past makes him remember his teenage years. I like the movie's rendition of him better than the book but for what it is it's still good.

"Parents don't last forever, Good or bad.---Comes a time when there is no excuse. Po
Shaun Hately
Jan 03, 2015 Shaun Hately rated it it was amazing
Star Trek novels are very hit and miss - some are good, some are not. This one, which sets out to show James T. Kirk in his mid teens is one of the very best I have read.
Stephen Fender
Apr 04, 2013 Stephen Fender rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio version before I read the book some years later: big mistake. Book is 10x better. The author got the "old" kirk down perfectly, and "young" Kirk was beautifully crafted. The characters and plot were fantastic, and I was drawn into wanting to learn more about the supporting cast. It was riviting and exciting. Well done.
Michael
Oct 05, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, audiobooks
I enjoyed listening to this Star Trek Novel as an audio book. It was good to see a bit more of Kirk's early life. Touched upon on one of the newer films with Kirk being a trouble maker and having a wild youth it was nice to see the relationship he had with his farther.

I would recommend this book to any fan of Star Trek!!
Cary Spratt
Feb 24, 2016 Cary Spratt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, star-trek
This book made me realize I needed to reorganize my Star Trek shelf. I had been reading them in chronological order based on the latest stardate within each book, but I *really* should have read this one after 'Final Frontier' (also by Diane Carey). Oh well, there's always next time.
Mike
Feb 16, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This book was quite entertaining, a definite must read before the new movie. It would be better suited to teenagers I think, as I am now 24 and my taste has matured (usually). I wasn't what I would call a 'page turner,' nor was it difficult to get through. It was just...entertaining.
Mary JL
Nov 23, 2008 Mary JL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans only
For the die hard Star Trek fan, they might rate it higher. I read it and found nothing too bad about it--but nothing exceptional either. Especially, I find the relatively quick change is Kirk;s character a bit hard to swallow.
Shane Noble
Jul 21, 2011 Shane Noble rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of Trek novels. Most of them are rather schlocky, but this one was genuinely good. It doesn't hurt that the main character is one of the best characters EVAR!!1!
Justin
Nov 01, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could hardly put this one down. It started off strong and ended just the same. I'd give it 6 stars if I could.
Daviyd
Sep 11, 2008 Daviyd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-n-liked
Finally we see where the on the edge character of Kirk was forged via flashbacks from his youth...fantastic read!
Lydia Dueck
Jan 29, 2015 Lydia Dueck rated it liked it
This book really dragged on. After about 8 climaxes, I had to put it down for a good month before finishing it.
Jason Cross
Mar 16, 2013 Jason Cross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. We get to see what Kirk would have been like as a child and how he grew to be the legend!
Jana Babáčková
Dec 23, 2012 Jana Babáčková rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Co zdědíš po otcích, si musíš nejdříve zasloužit, abys to mohl mít. To asi vystihuje uplne vsecko :o)
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
I wonder how the young James Kirk in this book will compare to the one in the upcoming movie...
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • Federation
  • Sarek
  • Probe
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Enterprise: The First Adventure
  • Spock's World
  • Deep Domain
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • Uhura's Song
  • The Rift
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • The Price of the Phoenix (Star Trek Adventures, #4)
  • The Pandora Principle
  • Firestorm
  • The Ashes of Eden (Star Trek: Odyssey, #1)
  • The IDIC Epidemic
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more
More about Diane Carey...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans

“A ship doesn't look quite the same from inside, does it? A wise sailor,' Robert said, fanning his arms, 'will one time stand upon the shore and watch his ship sail by, that he shall from then on appreciate not being left behind.' He grinned and added, 'Eh?'

George gave him a little grimace. 'Who's that? Melville? Or C.S. Forrester?'

It's me!' Robert complained. "Can't I be profound now and again?'

Hell, no.'

Why not?'

Because you're still alive. Gotta be dead to be profound.'

You're unchivalrous, George.”