Start by marking “The Mormon Mirage: A Former Member Looks at the Mormon Church Today” as Want to Read:
The Mormon Mirage: A Former Member Looks at the Mormon Church Today

The Mormon Mirage: A Former Member Looks at the Mormon Church Today

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In the first edition of The Mormon Mirage, Latayne C. Scott shared her remarkable journey out of Mormonism as she uncovered shocking inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and contradictions in the faith she had loved and lived. Thirty years later, Mormonism and Mormon scholarship have evolved with the times. In this third, revised and updated edition of her well-known book, Scott ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Mormon Mirage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mormon Mirage

Latayne C. Scott is a scholar of both Mormonism and Christianity with a heart for sharing her Christian faith with her former church, the Latter-day Saints. This book is a detailed challenge to Mormon doctrine that exposes its historical, archaeological and scientific inacurracies. It is also a well-reasoned argument for Biblical Christianity.

Here are a few excerpts:

“It wasn’t easy to leave. I owed, and still owe, The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members a great debt of gr
I feel so torn about this one. On the one hand, it's the first 'anti-Mormon' book I've encountered in which a genuine love for Mormonism and the LDS people shines through. But that's not the only thing that shines through. Scott converted from devout Mormonism to equally devout Bible-belt Christianity, and the book is positively riddled with statements that boil down to "OH NOES! All these Mormons will BURN IN HELL FOREVER if I do not convert them one and all!!!"

There was a time when this book w
Latayne is a very good writer and her book on her Mormon experience is very well written and compelling. As is often said about a very good book, "I could not put it down." I learned much from this book of the Morman experience as seen through the eyes of the author. Her own story was quite moving as she recounted how she was compelled by the evidence and her conscience to leave the church that she loved and that meant so much to her. She tells of her painful loss and the intense grief that foll ...more
I'd thought this book was what the summary on Goodreads says: "Latayne C. Scott shared her remarkable journey out of Mormonism as she uncovered shocking inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and contradictions in the faith she had loved and lived." .. This book isn't what it purports to be. Scott doesn't share much about her "journey" at all; it's more an expose of the inconsistencies of the Mormon doctrines. And she spends most of the time talking about Joseph Smith. If I wanted to read a biography ab ...more
Krisko Isackson
I really wish the promotional materials had made it clear that this was a book about switching from one version of right-wing Christianity (Mormonism) to another (evangelical Christianity). I'm sure other Christians would like this book to justify that their flavor of religion is the right one. But I couldn't help reading this and being amazed at how the author could scrutinize the contradictions and logical fallacies in the Book of Mormon, but not those in the Bible.
Jun 16, 2014 Lwf rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to understand the difference between faiths
Decided to get this Kindle book after reading another book by a former Mormon woman. This book is more about the actual differences between the book of Mormon and the Bible as well as the plagiarisms of the Bible that Joseph Smith used in the book of Mormon. The author goes into deep details about the church history, the original "witnesses", their backgrounds, character and early writings to support her work.

There are Bible verses to compare to book of Mormon verses, etc. I'm only at the thi
This is one of the most even handed works I've read about the Mormon faith; not effusive with praise certainly, but not as bitter as most ex-Mormons tend to be. Scott almost never makes a claim that she can't back up with a reference, and as another reviewer has said previously, she fastidiously documents those references in the back of the book so you can do your own research if that's what you would prefer.

That said, she lost me at the point where she pretty much went on a tangent about more p
Dina (ReviewTime)
What's Inside
The Mormon Mirage is a collection of Mrs.Scott's finding from years of research as a devout Mormon. The 3rd edition is the latest version of her book, in this edition you will also find her more recent research and opinions. Mrs.Scott writes in a conversational non-scholarly tone, and is very strait forward in her statements. In the back of this book you will find many references so that you can do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Table Contents

Part One

1. A Gentle Ap
It helped me a lot at the time hence the three stars HOWEVER looking back I think it's very wrong of the author to push her new faith onto those leaving the Mormon faith. Leaving the church is emotionally heart wrenching, terrifying, and makes you vulnerable to jumping into another religion just to replace the big gaping faith hole left inside. So I really wish this author would have left the Christianity out of it, and just focused on facts of the Mormon church, of which there are plenty. Or sa ...more
Carole Parma
I read this years ago, and have not read this updated version, but it was a valuable resource for a paper I wrote in college. Ex-Mormons can reveal the deception of the Mormon Church like nobody else. I would recommend Carma Naylor's books as well, if you are looking for information in order to help a Mormon friend see the truth of Biblical Christianity.
Keita M. Ward

Does not keep my interest. Leaving the Mormon church at age 17 doesn't provide the in depth experience I was hoping to read about throughout the book. Basically, her experience could have been summed up in the first two chapters.
Writing with skill and grace, former Mormon Latayne Scott offers a loving treatise on why she left Mormonism. Her writing is skillful, at times even entertaining. Her documentation is outstanding. What impressed me most of all, though, was that while she pulled no punches in her presentation of the dark side of Mormonism, the love and respect that she still has for Mormons and Mormonism shines through on every page. This really is a remarkable book. It is detailed, scrupulously documented, and s ...more
Eye opening and so well wtitten!
This was an okay book. It mentioned the beliefs of the Mormon church, then attempted to refute them with the Bible. This is probably fine for an evangelical reader, but I found it ridiculous. The highlights of the book are actually the section where the author tells her own story and when she tells about Mormon beliefs which are *taught* and not mentioned in the Book of Mormon. The refutations are unnecessary.
Well written and easy to read. If you're looking for a memoir this is not it, rather it's a history of how the Mormon church was founded and the changes that have been made to keep it more mainstream. The irony in the changes is that Joseph Smith proclaimed to have restored the perfect church. If it was so perfect...why all the changes?
I wanted a book about someone waking up from RELIGION. It boggles me that this author realized the flaws in mormonism but STILL stayed a christian? I don't understand it. Her use of the term negro wasn't sitting well with me either. I was mormon once, but still, this book was not helpful. Couldn't finish it.
Shari Leid
I had to stop after almost 1/2 way through. I was looking for a book that discussed the history of Mormonism, not one that seems to me to glorify the Bible. If you believe in the Bible as the word of God and are a "Christian", you may better appreciate this book than I did.
Excellent book written by a former Mormon.

Gives insight into the changing doctrines of the Mormons, points out difficulties that the church is currently having, and lists current doctrines which current Mormons would attest to that disqualify the group from Christianity.
Lisa Cline
Alot of important facts in is book but the thing that I take away is her heart ache that she suffered as a result of leaving the church. Important to keep in mind. Mormons hearts are invested in this.
This book is a thoroughly researched (and footnoted), easy to understand nonfiction book that helped me to understand Mormon teachings/theology and why so many Mormons are leaving the LDS church.
Of great value to me in my early search for truth.
Robert Gordon
Robert Gordon marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Patrick S.
Patrick S. marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Amelia marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Blake marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mormon America
  • The Unexpected Journey: Conversations with People Who Turned from Other Beliefs to Jesus
  • The God Makers: A Shocking Expose of What the Mormon Church Really Believes
  • The New Answers Book 3
  • The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • The Mormon Experience: A History of the Latter-day Saints
  • Sketches of Jewish Social Life
  • Letter from a Christian Citizen: A Response to "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris
  • How Wide the Divide?: A Mormon & an Evangelical in Conversation
  • The Ultimate Proof of Creation: Resolving the Origins Debate
  • Canon Revisited: Establishing the Origins and Authority of the New Testament Books
  • Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free
  • The Gospel Mark: The New Daily Study Bible
  • Principles of Conduct: Aspects of Biblical Ethics
  • The Dawkins Letters: Challenging Atheist Myths
  • The Kingdom of the Cults
  • One Nation Under Gods: A History of the Mormon Church
Author of over a dozen books, most by major Christian publishers. Two new books: Latter-day Cipher (Moody Publishers) and The Mormon Mirage, Third Edition (Zondervan) will be released April 2009.
More about Latayne C. Scott...

“early 1820s. In 1822, about two years after he supposedly received the first vision, Joseph Smith found what he called a “seer stone” 0 likes