Start by marking “The Mormon Mirage: A Former Member Looks at the Mormon Church Today” as Want to Read:
The Mormon Mirage: A Former Member Looks at the Mormon Church Today

The Mormon Mirage: A Former Member Looks at the Mormon Church Today

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In the first edition of The Mormon Mirage, Latayne C. Scott shared her remarkable journey out of Mormonism as she uncovered shocking inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and contradictions in the faith she had loved and lived. Thirty years later, Mormonism and Mormon scholarship have evolved with the times. In this third, revised and updated edition of her well-known book, Scott ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Mormon Mirage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mormon Mirage

Andy
Apr 19, 2009 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Latayne C. Scott is a scholar of both Mormonism and Christianity with a heart for sharing her Christian faith with her former church, the Latter-day Saints. This book is a detailed challenge to Mormon doctrine that exposes its historical, archaeological and scientific inacurracies. It is also a well-reasoned argument for Biblical Christianity.

Here are a few excerpts:

“It wasn’t easy to leave. I owed, and still owe, The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members a great debt of gr
Bishop
Jul 05, 2010 Bishop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Latayne is a very good writer and her book on her Mormon experience is very well written and compelling. As is often said about a very good book, "I could not put it down." I learned much from this book of the Morman experience as seen through the eyes of the author. Her own story was quite moving as she recounted how she was compelled by the evidence and her conscience to leave the church that she loved and that meant so much to her. She tells of her painful loss and the intense grief that foll ...more
drowningmermaid
I feel so torn about this one. On the one hand, it's the first 'anti-Mormon' book I've encountered in which a genuine love for Mormonism and the LDS people shines through. But that's not the only thing that shines through. Scott converted from devout Mormonism to equally devout Bible-belt Christianity, and the book is positively riddled with statements that boil down to "OH NOES! All these Mormons will BURN IN HELL FOREVER if I do not convert them one and all!!!"

There was a time when this book w
Ruth
Sep 30, 2011 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writing with skill and grace, former Mormon Latayne Scott offers a loving treatise on why she left Mormonism. Her writing is skillful, at times even entertaining. Her documentation is outstanding. What impressed me most of all, though, was that while she pulled no punches in her presentation of the dark side of Mormonism, the love and respect that she still has for Mormons and Mormonism shines through on every page. This really is a remarkable book. It is detailed, scrupulously documented, and s ...more
Lwf
Jun 16, 2014 Lwf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to understand the difference between faiths
Decided to get this Kindle book after reading another book by a former Mormon woman. This book is more about the actual differences between the book of Mormon and the Bible as well as the plagiarisms of the Bible that Joseph Smith used in the book of Mormon. The author goes into deep details about the church history, the original "witnesses", their backgrounds, character and early writings to support her work.

There are Bible verses to compare to book of Mormon verses, etc. I'm only at the thi
Dina (ReviewTime)
What's Inside
The Mormon Mirage is a collection of Mrs.Scott's finding from years of research as a devout Mormon. The 3rd edition is the latest version of her book, in this edition you will also find her more recent research and opinions. Mrs.Scott writes in a conversational non-scholarly tone, and is very strait forward in her statements. In the back of this book you will find many references so that you can do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Table Contents

Part One

1. A Gentle Ap
Homeschoolmama
I'd thought this book was what the summary on Goodreads says: "Latayne C. Scott shared her remarkable journey out of Mormonism as she uncovered shocking inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and contradictions in the faith she had loved and lived." .. This book isn't what it purports to be. Scott doesn't share much about her "journey" at all; it's more an expose of the inconsistencies of the Mormon doctrines. And she spends most of the time talking about Joseph Smith. If I wanted to read a biography ab ...more
Josh
Dec 31, 2015 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The biographical information on Scott really enhances this book. I thought it was clear. She's a former Mormon. She talks of how much she loved this religion as a member. She does have a desire to expose truth in this book, but I felt that she was fair and even handed. I think that this book provides an excellent introduction to some of the theology and beliefs of Mormonism.
BG45
Jul 24, 2015 BG45 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most even handed works I've read about the Mormon faith; not effusive with praise certainly, but not as bitter as most ex-Mormons tend to be. Scott almost never makes a claim that she can't back up with a reference, and as another reviewer has said previously, she fastidiously documents those references in the back of the book so you can do your own research if that's what you would prefer.

That said, she lost me at the point where she pretty much went on a tangent about more p
Krisko Isackson
I really wish the promotional materials had made it clear that this was a book about switching from one version of right-wing Christianity (Mormonism) to another (evangelical Christianity). I'm sure other Christians would like this book to justify that their flavor of religion is the right one. But I couldn't help reading this and being amazed at how the author could scrutinize the contradictions and logical fallacies in the Book of Mormon, but not those in the Bible.
Carole Parma
I read this years ago, and have not read this updated version, but it was a valuable resource for a paper I wrote in college. Ex-Mormons can reveal the deception of the Mormon Church like nobody else. I would recommend Carma Naylor's books as well, if you are looking for information in order to help a Mormon friend see the truth of Biblical Christianity.
Jolene
Jun 23, 2012 Jolene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mormons
Well written and easy to read. If you're looking for a memoir this is not it, rather it's a history of how the Mormon church was founded and the changes that have been made to keep it more mainstream. The irony in the changes is that Joseph Smith proclaimed to have restored the perfect church. If it was so perfect...why all the changes?
Dwight
Jul 08, 2009 Dwight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book written by a former Mormon.

Gives insight into the changing doctrines of the Mormons, points out difficulties that the church is currently having, and lists current doctrines which current Mormons would attest to that disqualify the group from Christianity.
Lisa Cline
Jun 06, 2011 Lisa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alot of important facts in is book but the thing that I take away is her heart ache that she suffered as a result of leaving the church. Important to keep in mind. Mormons hearts are invested in this.
Debbie
Aug 31, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a thoroughly researched (and footnoted), easy to understand nonfiction book that helped me to understand Mormon teachings/theology and why so many Mormons are leaving the LDS church.
Smpaetz
Jan 27, 2010 Smpaetz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of great value to me in my early search for truth.
Amy Hammond-Hagberg
Eye opening and so well wtitten!
Danielle
It helped me a lot at the time hence the three stars HOWEVER looking back I think it's very wrong of the author to push her new faith onto those leaving the Mormon faith. Leaving the church is emotionally heart wrenching, terrifying, and makes you vulnerable to jumping into another religion just to replace the big gaping faith hole left inside. So I really wish this author would have left the Christianity out of it, and just focused on facts of the Mormon church, of which there are plenty. Or sa ...more
Keita M. Ward
Apr 15, 2015 Keita M. Ward rated it did not like it
Boring

Does not keep my interest. Leaving the Mormon church at age 17 doesn't provide the in depth experience I was hoping to read about throughout the book. Basically, her experience could have been summed up in the first two chapters.
Kenyon
Jan 04, 2013 Kenyon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay book. It mentioned the beliefs of the Mormon church, then attempted to refute them with the Bible. This is probably fine for an evangelical reader, but I found it ridiculous. The highlights of the book are actually the section where the author tells her own story and when she tells about Mormon beliefs which are *taught* and not mentioned in the Book of Mormon. The refutations are unnecessary.
Nov 30, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted a book about someone waking up from RELIGION. It boggles me that this author realized the flaws in mormonism but STILL stayed a christian? I don't understand it. Her use of the term negro wasn't sitting well with me either. I was mormon once, but still, this book was not helpful. Couldn't finish it.
Shari Leid
Aug 26, 2013 Shari Leid rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to stop after almost 1/2 way through. I was looking for a book that discussed the history of Mormonism, not one that seems to me to glorify the Bible. If you believe in the Bible as the word of God and are a "Christian", you may better appreciate this book than I did.
Andy
BettyAnn
BettyAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Christopher Morgan
Christopher Morgan marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Kim
Kim added it
Jul 23, 2016
Lawn
Lawn marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
David Gooldy
David Gooldy rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
LC
LC marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mormon America
  • The Unexpected Journey: Conversations with People Who Turned from Other Beliefs to Jesus
  • The God Makers: A Shocking Expose of What the Mormon Church Really Believes
  • God Is. How Christianity Explains Everything
  • The Mormon Experience: A History of the Latter-day Saints
  • How Wide the Divide?: A Mormon & an Evangelical in Conversation
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?
  • The Wisdom of Proverbs, Job, and Ecclesiastes: An Introduction to Wisdom Literature
  • Already Gone: Why Your Kids Will Quit Church and What You Can Do to Stop It
  • The Essentials of Prayer
  • Christ and Your Problems
  • Betty Greene: Wings to Serve: Christian Heroes: Then & Now
  • Sketches of Jewish Social Life
  • The Best Kept Secret of Christian Mission: Promoting the Gospel with More Than Our Lips
  • Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free
  • The Gospel Mark: The New Daily Study Bible
  • Kingdom of Priests: A History of Old Testament Israel
Author of over a dozen books, most by major Christian publishers. Two new books: Latter-day Cipher (Moody Publishers) and The Mormon Mirage, Third Edition (Zondervan) will be released April 2009.
More about Latayne C. Scott...

“early 1820s. In 1822, about two years after he supposedly received the first vision, Joseph Smith found what he called a “seer stone” 0 likes