Start by marking “Juxtaposition (Apprentice Adept, #3)” as Want to Read:
Juxtaposition (Apprentice Adept, #3)

Juxtaposition (Apprentice Adept #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  8,033 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Stile had problems on two different worlds. On Proton he was threatened with murder, and on Phaze, an alternate world ruled by magic, he had to master magic, fight a dragon, win the friendship of a lady unicorn, locate his enemy among the paranoid Adepts and return out of Phaze to win the Great Games on Proton. After that, he was ready to face the real problems!
Published 1983 by Grafton Books (first published March 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Juxtaposition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juxtaposition

James
The conclusion of the Apprentice Adept trilogy. Although that trilogy seems to have grown somewhat since the first time I read the first three. Now it's a seven part series: two trilogies and a finale apparently.

The end of the first trilogy ties up all the loose ends. The ending isn't ever in any doubt – the good guys win, the bad guys lose. The journey is the fun. Now I'm gonna have to find the rest of the series aren't I?
Thomas
When I was 13, I read a lot of Piers Anthony, and when I say “a lot,” I mean a lot. The guy was pretty much all I read, from the Xanth series to the Incarnations of Immortality series, and even the Battle Circle and Bio of a Space Tyrant series, but my favorite of his books from that time would have to be the Apprentice Adept series. I read them again in my late 20s and thought they held up pretty well, so when I got on a bit of a nostalgia kick recently, I thought I’d give these another go, jus ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Juxaposition is definitely the best of the initial trilogy. The pace is very fast, with satisfying, significant events happening regularly. Stile-as-Citizen is delightful - some of the gambling scenes are better than any of the previous Game scenes. And while Stile's rigid morality gets tiresome, it is, at least, internally consistent, and the deux ex machina that insures everyone gets a happy ending is better than marginally plausible.

The rampant sexism gets no better - Stile still has every wo
Annette
Sep 20, 2007 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
Shelves: fantasy
I strongly encourage this be read as the entire series. The last books go in a very different direction than the first few.

At first, this seems a rather typical fantasy type book. Toward the end, well, the comparison to our own world is inevitable and powerful.

Why can't we all just get along?

I'm giving the series a rating of 4. Some of the books in the series are better than others. As a whole, I think it's worthy of a 4.
Nicholas Armstrong
This book taught me a very important thing, the meaning of the word Juxtaposition. I used it incessantly after and discovered that professors really like it in essays.
David Sarkies
Jul 10, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody really, their not that good
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: sci-fi
The red and blue adept continue their spat
2 March 2012

This is the final book in the first trilogy of the Apprentice Adept series and is where the battle between the Blue Adept (Style) and the Red Adept comes to a conclusion. The final parts of the book are very action orientated as the battle rages across two interconnected worlds. Personally I have no idea why the Red Adept was so intent on killing Style, but it is a conflict, and it is a requirement of most literature that there be a conflict
Emily
On the planet Proton, science works and magic doesn't, but juxtaposed with this world is another frame, that of Phaze, where magic works, but science doesn't. This is powered by a mineral called Protonite or Phazite depending on which frame you are in, and the Protonite mining of it is endangering the balance of both frames. Stile has been prophesied to ameliorate this destruction, but many powerful people in both frames are out to stop him, denying the destabilization and wanting to maintain th ...more
Onefinemess
Ahh the thrilling conclusion! At least for a few years until he decided to write 4 more volumes (which will hopefully stand the test of time and memory).

I think the cover is hideous, and the worst one of the set. I find it hard to find Lady Blue attractive with that cover image in mind *barf*. Or maybe that’s supposed to be Sheen the golem/machine woman? Wait no, her horse is just a horse, so it’s not Sheen. Either way, I can’t suspend my disbelief that far. I tried not to look at the cover befo
Gabriel
While I'm purging I might as well throw in this book from my early adolescence. A world where everyone's naked? What fourteen-year-old boy wouldn't want to go. Sure, the constant erections plagued me during this period of my life might have been a bit awkward, but back then this is exactly what I was into. I blame this book for my adolescent tendency to strip naked whenever I was faced by an awkward social situation. Such as a friend of mine inviting a bunch of us over to attempt to convert us t ...more
Ted R Turner
Great fantasy and science fiction merger!

This along with many Piers Anthony books appeal to both young and old alike. Give them a chance, you won't be sorry.
Kaethe
Part of my Anthony binge. I like the Xanth books better.
David
The third in the series finally separates the two worlds. There is one item that truly irritated me throughout Juxtaposition. In the other novels it is quite secret that Stiles can shift between the two worlds, but in the third everybody and his brother knows all the details of Stiles journey back and forth. If it wasn't for Anthony's excellent action writing and creative game elements, I probably would have tossed it aside. It still amazes me this series hasn't been done in at least film or Ani ...more
William
About time!
Man, after getting hooked on the characters in Book 1, then the intense build up of Book 2, I could not finish Book 3 fast enough.

The plot was pretty simple, and awfully predictable. But I've found all of Piers' books this way, and what kept me in the series was his high action stories, interesting characters, and the interesting environments.

I found myself predicting most of this book before I finished Book 1. But please don't let that bother you, it's still a fun read.
Jay
Always kinda liked this series, a bit of a guilty pleasure; re-read it recently with a certain nostalgia. I felt the protagonist's adventures in the scientific world of Proton were a lot more compelling than his adventures in the magical world, since as an Adept he had the power to basically wish for anything he wanted in Phaze. I enjoyed his climb through the Tourney and up the ranks of the Citizenry, I liked the robot equal rights subplot, and I liked the book's ending.

Dawn
I read this as a stand alone book, not realizing that it was the third book in a series. Could possibly explain why it took awhile to figure out what was going on.
Nevertheless I found it quite an interesting book with this kind of half science fiction and half fantasy world going on. I liked both worlds and our hero was quite fascinating. I was also quite interested in both love interests, one on each world. Not sure I liked the outcome but liked the book.
Angela Delgado
This is another that was kind of 'meh'. It wasn't as much fun as the previous entry in the series; where previously Stile was trying to advance in the Game and win Citizenship, this book follows him and his new wife as they amble along on their honeymoon and keep getting delayed by interference. The interest didn't really pick up until closer to the end, with the merging of the frames and the challenges involved.
Lee
Diane ~Firefly~
The final book in the first trilogy wraps everything up. Stile finds out who was trying to kill him and why. He must also use his status in both worlds to solve an even bigger problem.

All in all it is a good trilogy, although it gets a bit preachy in the final book. The second trilogy is just ok, I recommend getting it from the library if you want to read it.
Michael R.
Really disappointed in the finale.

First, I didn't like resolution with the robot Sheen, who was so in love with Stile that she would sacrifice her being for him. Sheen ends up with Stile's double. That's a happy ending?

All of the answers I'd been waiting to see resolved, seemed anti-climatic.

Enjoyed the first two books of this series much better.
Jeff Slag
Good finish to the trilogy, within the 7 book series. I'm tapping out though, don't want anymore of this for a while!
Jill
A nice conclusion to the Apprentice Adept trilogy (even though there are 4 more books to the series). I found some plot moves a bit far-fetched, even in a fantasy world of magic, and Piers Anthony is not as clever with plot twists as he would like to believe, but still a worthwhile read if you have read the first two books.
Christian Crowley
a fun conclusion to the original trilogy, with the usual interesting explorations of the author's imaginative universe. But also has the usual tiresome commentary about women and gender relations, and the author's tendency to breeze through challenges he's set his characters, and to wrap up all the loose plot ends in a hurry.
Caitlin
This is the third book in the Apprentice Adept series and is kind of a sub-end. You can honestly stop the series here and be perfectly happy. This is the last book where Stile is the main character.

It is a good book and does have some small surprises, which is a pretty rare thing with Piers Anthony.
Andy
While all the threads were very suitably wrapped up in this 3rd book, the writing style was perhaps at its worst here. Still I love the series. I wonder whether it could be made into a tv miniseries--the main obstacle being that the characters are naked 1/2 of the time. Otherwise I think it would be great.
Cathy Holford
I liked this one much better than the first two. There seemed to be more action when in Proton, but I still preferred the Phaze frame the best. I still can't bring myself to give 5 stars because I don't like this series as much as the Xanth series which appealed to me more.
Dark-Draco
Wow! The end of the trilogy and what a fast-paced read. I was just hooked from the first page and sometimes felt a bit lost in all the action crammed into the 12 chapters, but still felt it was an excellent end to the series. A bit obvious towards the end, but still great.
Dale Rosso
The world of Proton gets more interesting with each addition to the series.
Keri
This is an awesome series!! It has a great mix of sci-fi and fantasy. I especially liked the games on the sci-fi side of the world (I'm sorry I read these so long ago I can't remember the names of the worlds or the name of the game, I should re-read them!)
David Caldwell
I need to reread the original trilogy again because while I know I read them, I can't remember reading the other books in the series. I definitely know I do not remember the first 3 book to just pick up the series without being totally lost.
Mary Lauer
I like the overall story of the two worlds and the Game. Not so much of a fan of Anthony's apparent attitudes towards women. Still a faun read over here. I did rush through the details of moving the darn Phazite ball, but I didn't miss much.
  • Medusa: A Tiger by the Tail (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #4)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)
  • The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3)
  • The Warlock Unlocked (Warlock Series, #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)