Start by marking “A Message to Garcia” as Want to Read:
A Message to Garcia

A Message to Garcia

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,035 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
This famous motivational magazine article became an international phenomenon in the early 20th Century.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about A Message to Garcia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Message to Garcia

Debbie Zapata
Nov 29, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pg
This little tract was written in 1899 after a long and trying day where the author could not seem to get any of his employees to do what he expected of them. He explains this in his 'Apologia' section at the beginning.

A friend commented that a man by the name of Rowan was the true hero of the Spanish-American war in Cuba, because he accepted with no questions the order to carry an important message to Garcia, a leader somewhere in the wilds of Cuba. And he managed to get the job done without ask
Simon
Aug 25, 2007 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some marks may be granted to Mr. Hubbard for his endeavor to demonstrate his idea of the proper way to accomplish a task. However, his notion of very integral parts of completing any undertaking is quite misconceived. To describe A Message To Garcia, in the most gracious way, is to say that the point intended was poorly made.

The author’s fervent admiration of an honest work ethic is to be commended, no doubt. His devotion to the matter seems complete, if not somewhat overly zealous. However, h
Gina R
Aug 29, 2007 Gina R rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Marine
SO first of all I have to say this book is CRAP! Its not even a book. I personally believe it is propaganda, and that it is NOT a coincidence that the author's name is very similar to one L. Ron Hubbard. Hmmmmm....is this really the stuff that we should have our junior Marines reading? I read it as a Lance Corporal (just a lowly E-3), and I hated it. Just one more excuse for someone to chew me out. "Didn't you read A Message to Garcia...LANCE corporal?!" Whatever.
However now that I am an NCO (f
Sam
Aug 29, 2009 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book briskly and then again. It is a very concise get to work book. The idiology it espouses is to do, not to say. By that I mean that you should be getting things done and making things happen, in stead of asking questions on what you should specifically be doing. The message that comes from this for leaders is to have your people read this book, if they whine, then tell them "message to Garcia" and that battle cry will help them focus back to getting the mission accomplished whatev ...more
Kaj Samuelsson
May 02, 2015 Kaj Samuelsson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this many times. But this version was a bit longer, with an interesting foreword by the author.
This little story might be a good idea to distribute in businesses all over the world and it might raise the loyalty, responsibility and initiative of the workers.
DonQuijote
Dos cortos ensayos. El primero la famosa "Carta para García" que desconocía por completo. Este está entre teoría para la "autoayuda" y "caso de estudio" para escuelas de negocio. Sin olvidar el año de su publicación, aunque tiene elementos aplicables aún hoy, encuentro bastante cuestionable la obediencia sin cuestionarse el objetivo de lo que se te manda hacer (sea en el contexto que sea). Sobre el segundo ensayo, "O Pessimismo Nacional" de Manuel Laranjeira, da ganas de pegarse un tiro como hiz ...more
Tatiana
Jul 20, 2015 Tatiana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope, 2015, school
"El General García ya no existe. Pero hay muchos Garcías en el mundo. Qué desaliento no habrá sentido todo hombre de empresa, que necesita de la colaboración de muchos, que no se haya quedado alguna vez estupefacto ante la imbecilidad del común de los hombres, ante su abulia, ante su falta de energía para llevar a término la ejecución de un acto."

Este corto ensayo, es una punto de vista diferente al que tenemos de nuestra sociedad actual, pero, realmente solo es un discurso acerca de la forma de
Stina
Jan 29, 2011 Stina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Wow... should I be worried that my boss asked me to read this? He said it was "really good", I found it to be bullshit corporate propaganda.
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
First, let me summarize what this little 32 page booklet is about before I start ranting.

"A Message to Garcia" refers to this man, Lieutenant Rowan, who was tasked by President McKinley during the Spanish-American War to deliver a message to the Cuban general, Garcia. So, what is it exactly that makes this story worth telling? Rowan just took the letter, without question, departed the states, and searched out Garcia---all on his own. And then he returned.

Hubbard (who wrote this in 1913) was so i
Fed
Nov 28, 2013 Fed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This long essay, written by Elbert Hubbard, is a speech that needs to be consumed in its entirety; from the beginning to the end, the point that the author is trying to make builds on the previous paragraphs creating crescendo intensity and meaning for the readers.

The message in this essay is powerful: be a person of integrity, keep your word, and carry out the work that you are asked to do quickly, efficiently, and with integrity.

“My heart goes out to the man who does his work when the ‘boss’ i
Brittany Sanford
Very good story. Very Short. Worth a try.

As I read the introduction (which is only a few pages itself) I wondered, why am I reading this and what is the point? Well, it gets to the point pretty quickly. It's a 10 minute read.

Very plain an simple, despite a few old timey phrases and a few words I had to look up, but even so I understood it well. It's about Honor, principal, values, and hard work. "Do your job" it exclaims.

It's not about Garcia but about Rowan the man who did his job (taking the
Melvin Montilla
Dec 28, 2015 Melvin Montilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente Libro

Te enseña que las cosas tenemos que hacerla en cualquier circunstancias y en cualquier situación. Excelente libro. Felicidades. Muy bueno.
Sam Bledsoe
"I am an anarchist. Being an anarchist, I am also a socialist." I read Jesus was an Anarchist first and I thought it was brilliant. This book was not what I was expecting.

The first quote was from Jesus was an Anarchist but A Message to Garcia wasn't something I thought I would hear from a self-described socialist. It's a good message, really. The ideal worker is someone who does their work efficiently and without stupid questions. But on first read it comes off as capitalist propaganda, the type
Bria
Jun 25, 2014 Bria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hubbard did a fantastic job of succinctly describing the two opposite views of work. Those who make it happen, and those who use excuses and questions to drag their feet to not work or try.

A great view into late 1800s and how people don't really change. There are those who want to work, and those who don't in every era.
It's so easy to make excuses for not succeeding, the easiest being shifting the blame onto others, usually their previous or current boss. Sometimes the boss is at fault, but ofte
Kate
Jan 31, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-chinese
While the question, why are the average person not as productive as he should and could be, is a very good one, the book is a disappointment. We don't get to see much of the arguments, or the difficulties and determination of Rowan. We get a lot of conclusions, most of which I agree and would have agreed more if they are more moderate. Also I feel that if everyone carries out his or her employer's wishes without questions, like the soldier hero of this book the world would be a dangerous and int ...more
Tim
Nov 28, 2008 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat inspirational, but really seems an awful lot like some form of corporate propaganda. Work hard, do good ect.. I work in a cubicle so I think that I am naturally susceptible to this.
Audrey
Sep 05, 2014 Audrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think A Message to Garcia is a noble message. I understand (and practice) the general concept of quietly accepting your work, doing it, and completing it with no guidance. Maybe in some industries it applies better than others. Where a questioning attitude is cultivated, or it is required to understand something 3 questions deep, this really can't apply. Where the task is well within the knowledge and capability of an individual and no additional input SHOULD be required, this applies. So I on ...more
Rdt
Jul 06, 2015 Rdt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was not my cup of tea. On one level I see myself as Rowan -- the person prepared to execute difficult tasks without shirking or complaining. And I sometimes wish that people I work with could be more like Rowan. But who are we kidding? Real people are not like that. I am sure that the real Rowan was not like that. Interestingly, I found this book while looking at Nicholas Ostrovsky's How the Steel Was Tempered, one of the classic books of Stalinist Socialist Realism -- another fantasy ...more
David
Mar 25, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astonishly brilliant in its simplicity. A must read for its message.
Mark
Dec 03, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every lazy american
it's so short that it would be criminal if every person didn't read it through
Lisa Brookshire
Feb 24, 2015 Lisa Brookshire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be required reading for job applicants

I see so many people with an "entitled" attitude for no apparent reason except that they exists. Entitled to wages beyond their skill level just because they can't live off of what their education and experience dictates yet they don't want put in the time and effort to bring themselves up. Employees who can't just do the job at hand but seem to spend more energy throbbing to wok. This should be required reading for job applicants - then test them on
Rose
Oct 31, 2010 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Years ago my father mentioned to me that people used to recite "A Message to Garcia", kind of like they'd recite the Gettysburg address (as shown in the musical "A Music Man"). I'd never heard of it. As part of my efforts to show Dad that the internet was useful for something, I googled it up, and read him the first line. And he said "Yup, that's it!" but then the conversation moved on. It wasn't until this week that I read the whole thing, even though it's quite short.

It's gist is "Just Do It":
Kay
Oct 19, 2013 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not really a book although I read a version with several other essays included. I was inspired to read this after a recent visit and tour of the Roycroft campus in East Aurora, New York. Our guide talked about the essay and that it could be downloaded for free. I did this from Project Gutenberg.

Following a discussion of the Spanish-American War with his son Elbert Hubbard, leader of the Roycroft community, wrote and published a short essay about workers and how they do their jobs using an analo
Megan
Feb 05, 2016 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This classic is a quick pamphlet. It is essentially a paean to having a good work ethic, and laments when it is absent. It doesn't say much about the actual message to Garcia - a possible adventure through Cuba to find a rebel leader with a message from the American president. That could be a cool story, but here we just have a few pages saying that it was nice that someone was willing to do that without balking, and it would be nice if more people could be that way. Well, okay then.
Jakob
Apr 26, 2016 Jakob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book is a very quick read, being about 48 pages, and was very inspiring. While it's not something that would be read for fun, it has a very important core concept that too many people choose to ignore or deny both now and in the past. While some would argue that this is corporate propaganda, I have easily been able to see how it applies to everyday situations, farm work, and unexpected situations that can occur outside of the workplace. The main idea is that when you encounter an obst ...more
Jill
Aug 02, 2014 Jill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because it's been on many military professional reading lists, however I was disappointed in it because I thought it would be a short story about the heroism and adventure of Lt. Rowan on his quest to deliver a message, instead it was just a short discourse on doing what is asked of you without questioning why?
J. Gibson Hartley
This book bears a striking message to those of us who underestimate the virtue in trust and self-reliance. The reader leaves with a reminder of what loyalty means and will think twice before hesitating to meet the simple requests we so often receive from our friends and peers.
Maggie Gibbs
Sep 01, 2015 Maggie Gibbs rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Though the overall sentiment of this short book is a good one, i found that one of the ways it made its points was by asserting right wing ideologies, and making bold claims to the same effect with no evident basis in fact.
Gary Slavens
Not what I was expecting

I thought that this would be about "the message," or "Garcia," or the process of finding and delivering the message. Then it was over. There were certainly some inspiring quotes, and I'll read it again and savor the writing, but my expectations didn't match the work itself.
Eduardo Gutierrez
Sep 12, 2015 Eduardo Gutierrez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lectura de 1 hora sencilla, clara y de mucha utilidad

Lectura recomendable, sencilla y aplicable a los trabajos de hoy en día, puede leerse cuantas veces sea necesario sin aburrimiento alguno
  • Rifleman Dodd
  • The Defence of Duffers Drift
  • WARFIGHTING (Marine Corps Doctrinal Publication 1)
  • Once a Marine: An Iraq War Tank Commander's Inspirational Memoir of Combat, Courage, and Recovery
  • First to Fight: An Inside View of the U.S. Marine Corps
  • The Gift of Valor: A War Story
  • The Village
  • The Last Full Measure: Death in Battle Through the Ages
  • Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character
Elbert Green Hubbard was an American writer, publisher, artist, and philosopher. He was an influential exponent of the Arts and Crafts movement and is, perhaps, most famous for his essay A Message to Garcia.

Also known as Fra Elbert Green, for the magazine he edited, Fra.

from http://freepages.history.rootsweb.anc...

For a more detailed look at this life, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbert_H...
More about Elbert Hubbard...

“Opportunities for education should be within the reach of every individual, not for the lucky few.” 10 likes