Start by marking “Genius, Isolated: The Life and Art of Alex Toth” as Want to Read:
Genius, Isolated: The Life and Art of Alex Toth

Genius, Isolated: The Life and Art of Alex Toth

Created by the Eisner Award-winning team of Dean Mullaney and Bruce Canwell who produced the ground-breaking Scorchy Smith and the Art of Noel Sickles--Genius, Isolated is a lavishly illustrated book that includes the first biography of this giant figure. The book has been compiled with complete access to the family archives, and with the full cooperation of Toth's childre ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by IDW Publishing (first published November 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Genius, Isolated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genius, Isolated

Serge Pierro
Jun 28, 2013 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, art
Over the years, I have always heard Toth's name mentioned amongst the greats. I never really found anything that I felt lived up to that claim, but this volume shows what some of the fuss is all about. Stylistically, I'm not really into Toth, but I do appreciate his minimalist work - in particular his use of black ink. The book itself is gorgeous, and the reproductions of the original artwork are amazing. I'd love to see this level of production on the works of other artists. Fans of Toth will ...more
Michael Emond
May 26, 2014 Michael Emond rated it it was amazing
This book, first and foremost, is beautiful. Dean and Bruce cannot be praised enough for the work they put into it. From the generous size, to the wonderful reproductions to the excellent biography of the man himself, this is the kind of book you NEED to hold in your hands. This is the kind of book that tells you why the PRINTED medium must never go away. It is a perfect ratio (for me) of art to story. Yes, you could say the biography is a little sparse but I don’t feel that way. It told me what ...more
Paul
Apr 17, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
Enormous gorgeous volume examining the life and art of Alex Toth in detail.

A ton of love and research went into this project (this volume is the first of three), and it shows, although at times that enthusiasm exceeds the skills of the authors. The biographical text is a bit pedestrian, straining for effect at times, and in other places over-explaining quotes. The book's main attraction, though, is the amazing amount of art, often reproduced straight from the original boards at a very generous s
Andrew
May 16, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Alex Toth is regarded as one of the finest comic book artists ever, but because he never really had a long run on a single title, he has remained just a name fans have heard of. This book gathers together some of the best stories from the first part of his career, showing how his brilliant, minimalist art represents some of the best storytelling on the comics page.

Just as important, the book also acts as a biography, telling the story of Toth's life alongside the artwork. We not only see the sto
Parka
Nov 15, 2012 Parka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books

(More pictures on my blog)

This is book 1 of 3 that covers the life and career of American cartoonist Alex Toth who was active in 1940s to 80s.

The publisher IDW has once again come up with a stunning artist biography book. This book is huge. It's a bit larger than A4 size and it's 328 pages thick. The paper is non-gloss white. Layout and editing is wonderful.

This first book collects his early works until the early 1960s. There are his life stories, his early days at DC, lots of different genre co
Michael Thorner
Mar 21, 2014 Michael Thorner rated it it was amazing
Just a glorious, well-annotated, lovingly designed book on Toth the master; and this is only volume one of three!
Kenneth
Aug 05, 2014 Kenneth rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest, most influential comics artists ever... but you didn't need me to tell you that. What I would like to mention is that there's a pretty interesting documentary on Toth's life called "Simplicity: The Life and Art of Alex Toth," to be found as a special feature on the flip side of disc 2 of the DVD set "Space Ghost & Dino Boy: The Complete Series." If you're a fan, it's well worth seeing.
Derek O'Gorman
Oct 04, 2013 Derek O'Gorman rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book, and it was fun to read. It has a lot of great biographical information on Toth and his career, and a lot of incredible and beautiful artwork. The book itself is a hardcover edition, and it is big, heavy, and really nice. I would highly recommend it. I have already started reading the second book in the trilogy, "Genius, Illustrated: The Life and Art of Alex Toth".
Craig
Sep 08, 2012 Craig rated it it was amazing
Pretty amazing book. Only tangentially aware of Alex Toth before this. This is a huge, very well-made book, filled with black and white and color artwork and biographical information on Toth. I was amazed when I got to the end and discovered it ended in the mid-1960s--this is only the first book of a three-volume set on Toth! Someone really put some love and effort into this project.
Chadwick
Sep 07, 2012 Chadwick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This is worth five stars simply for the gorgeous reproductions of so many of Toth's originals. His art is a high point that has rarely, if ever been matched in the comics world. Toth drew like a fucking angel.
Michael
Dec 08, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, triumph of a book - a must for Alex Toth fans and well worth it for any fan of great comic book art.
William J. Meyer
Dec 28, 2012 William J. Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book introduced me to Toth, and I can't wait for the other two volumes!
PJ Ebbrell
Mar 28, 2015 PJ Ebbrell rated it it was amazing
Alex Toth - a genius. Should be more widely known. Brilliant artist.
Eric Orchard
Aug 25, 2011 Eric Orchard rated it really liked it
Amazing, beautifully produced book. Well worth having.
Kidbenicia
Kidbenicia rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
All Access Customer
All Access Customer rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Ed McKeogh
Ed McKeogh marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Ashish Agarwal
Ashish Agarwal marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Mikebo
Mikebo added it
Feb 10, 2016
Andres Salazar
Andres Salazar rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Mujahid
Mujahid marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Simonfletcher
Simonfletcher rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Erik Mallinson
Erik Mallinson marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Jacen Burrows
Jacen Burrows rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Gary Sassaman
Gary Sassaman rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Christopher Allen
Christopher Allen rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Nichole Bennett
Nichole Bennett marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015