Start by marking “Theodore Boone (Theodore Boone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Theodore Boone (Theodore Boone, #1)

Theodore Boone (Theodore Boone #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  22,373 Ratings  ·  2,885 Reviews
Free Shipping if order value from the seller is greater than 399. Used Book in good condition. No missing/ torn pages. No stains. Note: The above used product classification has been solely undertaken by the seller. Amazon shall neither be liable nor responsible for any used product classification undertaken by the seller. A-to-Z Guarantee not applicable on used products.
Published March 3rd 2011 by Hodder And Stoughton (first published 2010)

Monica Edinger
While there may be kids who will enjoy reading this trial story I expected more from the reviews I'd read. I debated giving this a three because I do think Grisham did a reasonably good job helping kids better understand how trials work. But in the end I felt there wasn't enough action for this sort of book and an awful lot of telling versus showing. Teddy is a likable hero and maybe Grisham will do better by him in future books.

So, on to my problems.

First of all, Grisham needs to do a bit mor
Tea Jovanović
Zabavno stivo, moze da zabavi i odrasle...
Pang
Jul 06, 2016 Pang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA Legal fiction.. wanna try?
4.7 stars. Omg, Theodore is rock! at first, I haven't think I gonna enjoy this since the writing style kinda too much 'tell, not show' for my taste. But when it reach to the Court scene and OMG I cannot stop! all the legal cases that came to our main lead 'Theo' are interesting and exciting. and oh this Theo boy is so smart, his parents are lawyers so Theo know the Laws very well, even the court, the judge, and blah blah blah... He help his friends for being law adviser and... he has to face a b ...more
Monique
This is John Grisham's first foray into the Young Adult (YA) genre, and, true to form, he was able to deliver another engaging legal thriller - this time with a 13-year-old boy as protagonist.

Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer is the story of Theo, only child of lawyer-parents, who himself dreams of becoming one day a trial lawyer, just like his parents. He may only be in middle school, but he knows practically more law than any other seasoned lawyer, and this is demonstrated by several of his peers com
Kim
Jun 28, 2010 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: penguin-review
(Copied from my blog)

Hey, when you were a kid, did you ever feel compelled to seek legal advice? Or play golf?

Yeah, I didn’t think so.

So you can imagine my confusion over why international bestselling author of legal thrillers John Grisham‘s new foray into kid lit has so far scored 3.35 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. Half his book, aimed at eight- to twelve-year-olds, is about things like how to avoid foreclosure, which lawyer in town to phone when your brother-in-law is picked up on a DUI, and wh
Kathryn
Jan 22, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
You know, sometimes I write reviews explaining why things haven’t worked for me in particular books. Often I find myself citing implausibility as a major reason, sometimes lack of resolution and not enough strings being pulled together at the end. (Sometimes it’s too many strings being tied up and leaving a feeling of the ending being contrived.)

In this book, it really was fairly unbelievable that a 13 year old would be looking into other students’ legal troubles, jumping onto city websites to c
Lana Krumwiede
I was interested to see what John Grisham would do with a kids' book. I like the "legal world" setting--that's something new for kids. I like the dilemma that Grisham creates for his character.
Steph Bowe
I’m not sure what to say about this book except that it reads like a prologue. Nothing huge or earth-shattering really happened. We didn’t really get much of a conclusion. We got a whole lot of info about all of the characters, and a lot of plotlines were established that were not developed. It really is just an introduction to a series.

Something that’s surprising about this is that Theodore is thirteen, which is an odd age for what I believe is meant to be a YA novel (it seems more like the age
Michelle
Jul 09, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know it's horrible to not love this book written by an adult author I occasionally enjoy. I expected this book, written by John Grisham, to be a young adult book that had an interesting story, but no sex and violence. Instead I got a book better suited to those written in the fifties and sixties, only with updated technology. It was so much like the Three Investigators, Nancy Drew, and Hardy Boys that I really kept looking to make sure it was written by John Grisham. I'd more fully believe his ...more
P.V. LeForge
I grew up reading juvenile series novels. Tom Swift Jr. was my favorite, although I also enjoyed many others: Rick Brandt, Vicki Barr, Peggy Allen. But the Swift Jr. books were tops: lots of adventure and real science at a time when science was really coming into its own. Then the Harry Potter series came along and turned the young adult novel topsy turvy. It revolutionized reading for young people but also spawned a ton of bad imitations.

So when I heard that the man who had virtually created th
Kirsty
Feb 02, 2016 Kirsty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MYz0...

This book seems to have such extreme reactions in people, with some loving it and some absolutely hating it. I'd say that it's important to not let either opinion put you off reading this novel and to just try it for yourself as you never know.

This is the first time I have ever read anything by John Grisham and it definitely won't be the last. I certainly plan to pickup the next book in this series, which is a YA crime and mystery series. Som
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A cute book that puts all James Patterson teen series (es?) to shame. Grisham deals with the intricacies of the law in such a way that a 12-15 year old not yet ready for THE FIRM or THE CHAMBER can understand. The story was quite good and the language did not leave me wishing I had bubble gum to chew like cud.

Theo Boone loves the law and goes with his class to watch the opening day of the town's most recent (and rare) murder trial. He gets hooked and becomes involved in the trial, indirectly, w
Rebecca McNutt
Theo Boone hasn't been to law school, in fact, he hasn't even graduated high school yet, but he's a genius when it comes to courtroom cases. He finally has the chance to prove himself soon enough, but how can he keep from getting caught up as a victim? This book was really different, and despite it being for middle-grade to young adult readers, it still has a compelling mystery in its pages that anyone can read.
Brian Regan
Jun 15, 2010 Brian Regan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Grisham has jumped on the "Best-selling adult author writes YA book" bandwagon, and the result is pretty lame. It is clunky, slow-paced, and at no point did I forget the fact that this was Grisham pretending to be a YA author. Don't waste your time. As a middle school librarian, and fan of (most of) Grisham's other books, I was seriously disappointed.
Truly
Sep 28, 2010 Truly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cewek, sidang pembunuhan, saksi rahasia!
Belakangan hidup menjadi kian rumit bagi Theo

Pepatah yang menyebutkan buah tak jauh dari pohonnya, sangat cocok untuk sosok Theodore “ Teddy”Boone.

Hidup selama 13 tahun dengan seorang pengacara real estate, Woods Boone, sang ayah serta ibu seorang pengacara perceraian (selalu dari pihak istri), Marcella Boone, membuat Theo menjadi anak yang paling tahu seluk beluk hukum dibandingkan yang lainnya. Plus tambahan seorang paman yang juga pengacara. Teman-tema
Ana M. Román
Jan 25, 2017 Ana M. Román rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto
Habría sido un gustazo dar con este libro con la edad indicada para leerlo. Está claro que el público al que va dirigido es uno en las primeras etapas de la adolescencia.
Posiblemente este libro habría aumentado mi afición por el derecho, que lamentablemente, aunque consiguió sobrevivir al horrible primer año con sus feas asignaturas acabó hundiéndose durante el resto de mi etapa universitaria (en esos momentos daba gracias por haber escogido estudiar dos carreras en lugar de una sola).

Pero dejan
Stephen Gallup
I wasn't aware that Grisham had also written YA fiction until my 12-year-old picked up this title in the library. She handed it off to me with the warning that it had "not a very satisfactory ending" (spoken in a tone of voice reminiscent of the twerp in Ice Age: The Meltdown.

I found it engaging. I wondered if the murder case would ever have gone to trial in a real court, given the lack of evidence--but I'm no lawyer. The setting is an idealized small town populated by (mostly) good people who k
Josh Newhouse
May 30, 2010 Josh Newhouse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing... on several levels...

When I first heard Grisham was doing a YA novel, I thought here's a chance to have a riveting crime fiction tale from one of the best in the page-turner business...

Here's what I found:

1. 100 pages to get to any riveting drama... he's lost 98% of my students by then... it does get interesting for about 80-100 pages with a lot of promise but fizzle...

2. Dated characters... Theodore reads like a Encyclopedia Brown impersonation... since when do 13 year olds not
Josh Girard
This book was a decent book. The idea of the book was something that I liked.
Shambhawi P.
Mar 14, 2014 Shambhawi P. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shambhawi by: My University syllabus
Sometimes I need to put some defense mechanism in place in order to finish a book. Mostly it is because the book is too damn terrible for my brains to process normally. This was one of them. The delusion I kept feeding myself - Theo Boone is not really a child prodigy. This book, instead, is about a mentally challenged socially awkward adult lawyer whose brain capsized and is now stuck as a thirteen year old who is creating an elaborate fantasy about his adventures. The secondary characters are ...more
Archie Gothard
Mar 13, 2016 Archie Gothard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason why I decided to read 'Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer' By John Grisham was because I like to read books with a bit of crime and mystery involved. This book gave me an insight to what it is like to know the law at such a young age and how Theo wants to live up to his dream from a young age, this is something I admire, I've had a dream since I was a young and what's better than learning or getting to know your dream better.

'It was no surprise, at least to Theo, that his father did not agree
Jeannie
So why would such a great writer write something so flawed? Did he not want to go into the YA/kid market but his publisher made him do it? Does he love law so much that he wanted to get kids interested in it without any regard for other YA/kid book elements? I'm thinking the latter, but with basically no action for the first third, a plot with very few interesting twists, basically flat characters, and an unrealistic setting (a public school where classes consist of sixteen well-behaved 8th grad ...more
Pam
Jun 20, 2010 Pam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fiction
Grisham was scarred for life by the Hardy Boys. He is so not ready for children's literature. I can't believe his editor even read this book.

Theodore Boone wants to be a lawyer. He lives in a small town with an office in his parents law firm taking on "cases" and solving them. Although Grisham does a good job explaining the process of a court trial, he can't make up for the fact that Theodore Boone is an unlikeable, obsequious, and completely unrealistic teenager.

I knew I was in trouble with th
Scott
Feb 20, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I read this on a lark - Not my usual reading but I think Grisham has turned into a really fine writer (I did not like his earlier books).

This book was great.
Fully formed characters that learn, grow and develop relationships.
Tight plot that kept me riveted and left no threads hanging.
Pacing was top notch - it slowly built over the course of the book until the end when things were moving at a pretty good clip.

I listened to the Audio book and the narrator was Richard Thomas (one of my favorites) wh
Andrew Jacobson
Uninspired. That would be the one word I'd use to sum this one up. A courtroom/legal pot boiler in the vein of The Firm or The Client, only targeted to a tween/YA audience... from Grisham, no less. This should have been a home run. But instead we get a lazy, twistless, BORING case, with no real villain or conflict for our young hero, who is frankly not so interesting himself. And its condescending to its young readers to boot, dishing out pedantic passages about the law. I was thoroughly disappo ...more
Joann
May 24, 2010 Joann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to like this book, but Grisham's first kid's book worked for me; lots of interesting legal bits, beleivable situations, humor, and a good tale. A few missteps--13 year old boy who isn't into girls, yet, are you kidding? And a 13 year old in 8th grade--wouldn't that be 7th grade? Cliff hanger endings on several secondary stories...felt like more to come for sure.
Mike French
Nov 17, 2015 Mike French rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book of the series,which was entertaining and enjoyable to even an old fart like me! Written for YA readers and the young at heart. John Grisham shows why he is one of the authors in America.
Emily Ann
3.3/5.0 Very weak middle grade. Writing style was not good. To bad. Though I would really like this one.
Mary
Aug 06, 2010 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book for a younger audience, I would definitely recommend that Mr. Grisham go back to writing for adults. I don't think a young person would finish the first chapter.
Rory Donohoe
Looking for a quote 1 2 Dec 12, 2016 04:32AM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Theodore Boone 1 2 May 15, 2016 10:13PM
John Grisham 2 9 Feb 16, 2016 11:02AM
Climax and resoulution 4 6 Dec 16, 2015 07:45AM
  • Palace Beautiful
  • Hide and Seek
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The White House (I, Q, #2)
  • Belly Up (FunJungle #1)
  • Lawn Boy Returns
  • Zero Moment (The Joshua Files, #3)
  • Barn Boot Blues
  • We the Children (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #1)
  • Ghost Dog Secrets
  • Hothead
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • Adam Canfield of the Slash
  • The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman
  • The Underdogs
  • The Rivalry: Mystery at the Army-Navy Game (The Sports Beat, #5)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham...

Theodore Boone (6 books)
  • The Abduction (Theodore Boone, #2)
  • The Accused (Theodore Boone, #3)
  • The Activist (Theodore Boone, #4)
  • The Fugitive (Theodore Boone, #5)
  • The Scandal (Theodore Boone, #6)

“Theo explained, in what he thought was perfect Spanish, that Julio needed extra help with his algebra. Evidently, she did not understand perfect Spanish because she asked Julio what Theo was talking about.” 1 likes
“He did smile at her, though, but she did not return the smile. Her teeth were somewhere in the house.” 1 likes