Start by marking “Hank & Chloe” as Want to Read:
Hank & Chloe

Hank & Chloe (Chloe)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  638 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Chloe Morgan is a thirty-three-year-old part-time waitress, small-time horse trainer, and full-time thoroughly toughened Western woman living in a corner of the dwindling canyonlands of Southern California. Calloused and wary, Chloe allows herself to love with total abandon and complete faith only her horse and her dog. That is, until a quirk in the weather and a sunrise f ...more
Published April 8th 1994 by Harper Perennial (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Hank & Chloe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hank & Chloe

The Giver by Lois LowryThe Fires of Heaven by Robert JordanThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxVoyager by Diana GabaldonThe Client by John Grisham
Best Books of 1993
78th out of 187 books — 77 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerA Round-Heeled Woman by Jane JuskaThe Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan
Brave Dames
76th out of 102 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
Jun 28, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago -- probably not too long after it was published and I still remember the title, the characters and the story with great fondness. I remember thinking that I was completely satisfied when the book ended and wishing I had another book like it to read. Additionally, I was living in Southern California at the time and working in Irvine where the novel takes place, and was astonished to learn that a completely different rural world existed just a few miles away and I had ne ...more
Mary
Jun 27, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Oh I loved this story. A love story, but so filled with more than that alone. Chloe is a lady who has known so much hurt during her lifetime and has decided that there is only true love found with animals, including her horse who is slowly dying and her dog who she took in and saved. She lives on the edge of homelessness and says that is who she is and how she is happy. Then she meets Hank who is totally opposite in lifestyle. It is not always smooth going between them but the chemistry is stron ...more
Diana
Dec 22, 2014 Diana rated it liked it
I have read other Jo-Ann Mapson novels and just read this one.....her first novel.
Mapson does such a wonderful job making her characters come to life. The settings of her books are always described in a way that it is easy for you to imagine them.
The main character, Chloe, lives in the canyon land of Southern California. She is a very guarded womand then meets Hank. just a good read.
Apr 24, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chloe is a part-time horse trainer, part-time waitress. She connects with Henry, a professor of folklore at the local college where she boards her horse. Chloe and her dog live in a primitive cabin with no water or electricity (she likes it that way) in a canyon that makes me think of Trabuco Canyon. What does she want more...her independent solitary life or Hank?
Hope Sherman
Oct 18, 2014 Hope Sherman rated it it was amazing
Just terrific...have had this book sitting on my shelf for a few years, don't even remember when I bought it. What a treat it was to read - great characters, interesting story, it was such an enjoyable read and a glimpse into a world ( horses) that i know little about.
Jan 31, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
This might be the most I've ever loved a book I didn't like so much. Not sure if I can explain that. This book contains one of the most thoroughly described settings I've ever come across. It made me feel like I was living in this small California community along with the characters. I could see the rocks and paths and shacks described in the book, and could ride along with the horses, even though I know precious little about any of that. So an A+ job on settings and descriptions. The characters ...more
Sue
Feb 09, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, usa
Chloe Morgan - waitress, horsewoman. Hank Oliver - Junior college professor of mythology. They meet after Chloe had pulled an all-nighter helping a friend's horse with a difficult foaling. The friend was a co-worker of Hank's and Chloe ended up with Hank's good shirt when she needed to change clothes. Hank wanted his shirt back and found out where Chloe worked. Both Chloe and Hank had pasts that made trusting in a relationship difficult. Could they work it out?
Re-read in 2012, having not remem
Almira
Aug 29, 2014 Almira rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book.

So often, anymore, when I get to a book that has "graphic" sex, I just quit. Up until that point, Hank and Chloe had been enjoyable, I found the character development, the writing and the story very well done.

Enough said.
Cook Memorial Public Library
Recommended by Connie.

Check our catalog: http://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore/...
Peri Schacknow
Mar 31, 2012 Peri Schacknow rated it liked it
Meh. I decided to read this after loving Mapson's "The Owl And Moon Cafe", and was somewhat let down. I liked her development of the characters individually, but I'm afraid I never bought the attraction between them together as a couple. By the end, I admit I was somewhat intrigued as to what would happen to them individually, and whether or not they would make it together, but more as an interested observer than anyone with a concerned stake in the game. I suppose I will eventually pick up the ...more
Katie
Jan 10, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
While I did like this book and read it pretty quickly, I'm only giving it three stars because it has a lot of language which I found distracting and also it has way too many "romantic scenes" if you know what I'm saying. I felt like the swearing and these scenes were an escape of sorts so that the author didn't have to deal with harder conversations between characters and sometimes it was hard to see why (beyond the sexual attraction) the two main characters loved each other. The ending was a li ...more
Jul 19, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Excellent western romance. Set in the early 1990s. Published in 1993.
Cheryl
Apr 03, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books which I have read several times!
Nancy
Oct 10, 2015 Nancy rated it it was ok
If this was my first book by Jo-Ann Mapson I wouldn't have read her other books. This read like a romance novel. Not my taste to read.
Patricia Eichenlaub

Apr 14, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing
Good.
Linda
Oct 09, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
A funny, tender, sexy Western love story about Chloe Morgan, a part time waitress and part time horse trainer who meets college professor Hank after she has tried to save the horse which belongs to his office mate. Chloe has been brought up in foster homes and is independent and tenacious, while Hank has been henpecked by his mother and haunted by the death of his sister; they both find it hard to make permanent attachments. This is a first novel, although the author has written short stories.

Michelle Cox
May 11, 2015 Michelle Cox rated it really liked it
Shelves:
A good horsey romance. I find that Jo-Ann writes like a man when it comes to violence and sex. If that were toned down it would be 5-star book.
Connie Regan
Feb 17, 2015 Connie Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, out-west
Chloe is a tough western woman and Hank is a college professor of folklore. Improbable friends but sparks fly.
Laura Drake
Jun 10, 2012 Laura Drake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mapson is my new favorite author. I'm glad I read a couple of others of hers first though, because the emotion is so raw in this one, that if I didn't know that she would bring a satisfying ending, I'd have had to quit it.

The characters are so real, so well-rounded -- I'm in awe of her ability.

Wonderful book.
Rachel
The story of gritty survivor Chloe, struggling to make ends meet waitressing & teaching riding, and quiet, reserved mythology professor Hank. The writing deals with heartbreak & damaged people in an insightful way, but probably too many purple passages to recommend to my mother!
Cindy
Jul 24, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-authors
I loved this book. The characters are so complex, it's not a typical romance, it's very real - real situations and feelings.

Now that I'm about to give it away to someone who will love it as much as I have...I wish I had read it again!
Ruth
Nov 26, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
Although I recently recommended this book and another in this series to several GR friends, I *totally* forgot to mention there are explicit adult scenes (which I skip over). So, apologies for leaving this detail out!
Pam
Dec 30, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
I love Jo-Ann Mapson's books and have saved 3 to read in emergency times when nothing holds my interest. As usual I loved it.
Harriett Bulger
Mar 02, 2013 Harriett Bulger rated it really liked it
Story of two flawed characters that you feel belong together....but who have problems that seem unsurmontable. Throughout the story you realize that love is not easy....and sometimes it just isn't going to work.
Maggie Shanley
Jul 12, 2015 Maggie Shanley rated it liked it
A tad depressing story of a poor girl who is struggling to survive with her horse and her dog and the college professor who is trying to survive the middle class expectations of his parents.
Toni
Sep 28, 2010 Toni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy fun read/romance set in the west. Some of the language is a little coarse but the story is basically sweet. Opposites attract? Friendships come in all ages and genders.
Elizabeth Martel
Oct 12, 2011 Elizabeth Martel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the last part much more than the first, but was somewhat disappointed with the abrupt ending. ....literally no denouement...the climax came in the very last paragraph.
  • Heartbreak Town (Lucy Hatch, #3)
  • Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)
  • Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)
  • Missing Mabel
  • Fireworks
  • The Train to Estelline
  • Consider This, Señora
  • The Ninth Clan (Migration Trilogy #1)
  • The Beans of Egypt, Maine
  • Mr. Right Goes Wrong
  • Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great
  • Rainlight
  • Dakota (Andi Oliver, #2)
Jo-Ann Mapson, a third generation Californian, grew up in Fullerton as a middle child with four siblings. She dropped out of college to marry, but later finished a creative writing degree at California State University, Long Beach. Following her son's birth in 1978, Mapson worked an assortment of odd jobs teaching horseback riding, cleaning houses, typing resumes, and working retail. After earning ...more
More about Jo-Ann Mapson...

Chloe (2 books)