Start by marking “1636: The Saxon Uprising (Assiti Shards, #11)” as Want to Read:
1636: The Saxon Uprising (Assiti Shards, #11)

1636: The Saxon Uprising (Assiti Shards #10)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  723 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The West Virginia town of Grantville, torn from the twentieth century and hurled back into seventeenth century Europe has allied with Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, in the United States of Europe. So, when Gustavus invades Poland, managing to unite all the squabbling Polish factions into repelling the common enemy, the time-lost Americans have to worry about getting dr ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about 1636, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1636

On Basilisk Station by David WeberRing of Fire by Eric FlintTorch of Freedom by David WeberBolo! by David WeberThe Service of the Sword by David Weber
Loren's Lost List
25th out of 51 books — 5 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Dance of Time by Eric FlintThe Tide of Victory by Eric FlintDestiny's Shield by Eric FlintFortune's Stroke by Eric Flint
To Collect: Sci-Fi
17th out of 28 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Liviu
The second half of the huge novel started in Eastern front - this one ends very well the main thread from there and of course continues the epic saga of the different 17 century that resulted from the transplantation of Grantville, W Va 2000 in Thuringia 1631; the books breathe new life in a series that was going stale with all the tedious details hashed in the side stories that lost my interest and I hope Mr. Flint will keep delivering mainstream series books since the rest are usually fan-fic ...more
Geoffrey
For the last few books, the Assiti Shards series had been all over the place. It felt like too much was happening in too short a time - a few decades worth of war happened in 4 short years with internal social convulsions thrown in between. Then, the last book, 1635: The Eastern Front, threw in a seriously unexpected curveball.

From that plot twist, this book started up with a mess that turned into an unexpectedly fun novel. This one felt like a return to the first few books in the series. There
Melinda
These just keep getting better!
Josh
Another strong entry in the sprawling "Ring of Fire" universe.

This one picks up directly from the end of 1635: The Eastern Front and pushes the narrative even further into 1636. It's a fascinating series, premised on the idea of what would happen if you took an entire West Virginia mining town and dropped it into the middle of Europe during the 30 Years War.

I particularly enjoy when Flint (and whomever his co-writer is) focus on the overarching political narrative embodied by some of the most pr
Rena McGee
In this book, Gustav Adolph’s cousin quietly investigates the circumstances around Chancellor Oxenstierna’s power grab and the ensuing succession crisis, Gretchen, the Committees of Correspondence defend Dresden, and various other groups, rise in opposition to Oxenstierna’s attempt to take over the government. (And are able to play it quite convincingly that they’re on the side of the angels--because they are--since Oxenstierna is deliberately trying to change the entire system that had already ...more
Peter Salomon
Fun alternative history fiction, thankfully without the whole 'Ram' episode which brings up the one drawback to this sprawling series: it's close to impossible to keep everything straight, to know which book to read in which order. Some are close to unreadable (see the 'whole Ram episode' comment in the first sentence) and some are just random tales with no contextual relationship to the main characters that attracted me to the series in the first place. I understand what the author is doing and ...more
Robin
I think I need to start reading these books closer together to keep better track of all the story threads going on. I know that there are several different threads going on with both uptime and downtime characters and that the same general group of characters may or may not be featured in books and also that the books aren't being released in true chronological order sometimes makes it difficult to keep the overall story straigh in my head.

I still enjoyed the interplay between uptimers and downt
Ken Kugler
With Gustavus Adolphus gravely injured, Europe is on the verge of civil war. The "rebels" must contain themselves and let the new Prime Minister and the Swedish Chancellor blow their chances at achieving a takeover. Mike Stearns, known as the Prince, first as a derisive term and later as one of endearment, must navigate a world with many different factions. His ability to navigate he political waters at a dangerous time will sink or save the U.S.E. as it seems headed to the a hard war across Eur ...more
Kevin
To date, I hadn't enjoyed the editions of this series that were written only by Flint. However, these two volumes, which I read in immediate succession, as I would advise everyone to do, were very good. The first volume is full of military maneuverings which are given Flint's normal detailed attention and are fascinating. The reinvention of war with new technology and old manufacturing remains fascinating. The second volume is full of political intrigue surrounding the Swedish crown, and is equa ...more
Tim the Wiz
Flint has successfully revitalized the 1632 series with this installment, building off the adroitly hinged cliffhanger of 1635: The Eastern Front. The limitless nature of this exhaustive alternate fantasy world can be intimidating, even confounding - a feeling of dislocation is no stranger while navigating this behemoth - but the main-line thread following Stearns and Richter always bring a sense of engagement and focus often lacking in most of the secondary, off-shoot threads. That could have s ...more
Frank
This book had a lot of main line 1632 characters highly reccomended
Bob

More tales from the Ring Of Fire with Mick Sterns and the rest of the Grantville up timers as they take on the Swedish forces under the Swedish Chancellor when the King Gustavus Adolphus is recovering from a head injury and is out of commission. The scope of the story is too wide to cover here, but it kept me reading way too late and disappointed when I finished because there was no more to read. I will have to be on the lookout for the next book now in this one of my most favorite series.
Ron
A continuation of 1635: The Eastern Front, this is the tale of overreach, greed and a desire to return to old ways meeting up with public enthusiasm and desire for change that results in less carnage than forecast due to restraint on several characters' actions. The title is a bit misleading in that the Saxons did not rise up, rather repression came down upon them. Definitely not the book to start the series (Eric Flint has a guide to reading the series in the back of the book).
James
Mar 06, 2012 James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A continuation from the story started in 1635: The Eastern Front. The tradegy of Gustav II Adolf injury gives Axel Oxenstierna and the german aristocracy a chance to reclaim power. Only restrain from the common people prevents an all out civil war which finally thwarts their ambition. The battle for Dresden demonstrates the advantages f being prepared. The death of Baner is gruesome enough, decapitation by volley gun, in the course of a battle.

Cannot wait for the next instalment.
Jeremy Preacher
Finally we're back to at least solid competence. This isn't a good book - I don't think more than one or two of the ten have been objectively good - but at least it's workmanlike and the plot moves along some. It will probably be the last one I actively seek out, because the conceit is wearing on me by now and the charmingly archetypal characters have become merely flat and predictable, but at least it leaves me on a relatively high note.
Tim Wright
Eric has done it again. He has taken us into a (semi)fictional world, populated by old characters we've already come to care about, added new characters that we're learning to love, hate and laugh at, and written a stirring and twist filled novel that stands alone and delightfully winds up it's predecessor novel.

Once more, great job, Eric!
Wink
Interesting read. It felt like the end of the series until the last few pages. Then Flint left room for more sequels. Many more sequels as I discovered in the afterward. I have enjoyed this series, some more than others, of course. This is in the top five imo. Not a great deal to say except the plot moves smoothly and good triumphs once again.
Topher
What happens when the emperor is knocked senseless, the conservatives decide to take advantage of that situation to throw a revolution, and the (normally) revolutionaries refuse to play along, and instead become the guardians of the establishment? Gustav will need to clean house, and Mike's got an Army (or at least a Division) to take care of.
Bill
With the King of Sweden incapacitated and the aristocracy in rebellion, the fate of the United States of Europe is in the balance. This is the immediate sequel to 1635: The Eastern Front. It's good to have the 'big picture' characters leading the action.
Steve Sarrica
Better than its immediate prequel 1635: The Eastern Front. Good intrigue and improving characterizations. The plot, however, was completely predictable. Recommend to fans of the 1632 alternate history universe only. Anybody else would wonder what the hell was going on.
Friedrich Haas
As Prince Ulrik says, it is always a pleasure to deal with skill and competence. This book takes me back to the beginning, a wonderful chess match of politics and war and technology. As well a lesson in present day politics, of the 99% vs the 1%.
Gail
The next installment of the Ring of Fire series. I read this one (#10) before I read installment #9, which was confusing sometimes. Emperor Gustav Adolph is ill, the Saxons are uprising, there's lots of stuff going on. And I enjoyed every bit of it.
Joe
DELICIOUS!
What a fun read.
This is one you wait for..

"The Prince" at his best.
Really everyone is good.
Ed P., Gretchen, Jeff. Ulrich...The main line story really pays off in this one.

A little politics. A little battle.
Fun.
Rachel
This series has wobbled in quality through the many, many books. To be honest, if I couldn't check them out of the library, I might not still be reading. But with this book, my patience was rewarded: this is a top-notch story.
Meril
Apr 15, 2011 Meril rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: sff
I'm still reading the series but this is apparently the point where it has just become too ridiculous for me (possibly because there was little character development, or even character fun scenes, in this book at all)
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This is a great addition to the series. All of the characters from the first part of the series appear and the new history moves forward. A must read for fans of the series.
Muff
Sep 26, 2012 Muff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Keeping track of the characters and the intertwining plots and plotting of this series is a real challenge, but I've enjoyed most of them and will try to keep up with the series.
Bruce
Well written and quite entertaining. A bit more than an airplane book. Still, the tale is rather too telegraphed and positive for suspension of disbelief.
Charles Kennedy
Brings in medical issues to story and brings back Mike Stearns to the center of the plot. This is one of the more fun books in the series.
Kenneth Flusche
A fast paced story which continues the story, must read in order to keep track of the characters. I loved it.
  • 1636: Seas of Fortune
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
  • In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)
  • 1945
  • Ruled Britannia
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • The Two Georges
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.
More about Eric Flint...

Assiti Shards (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • 1632 (Assiti Shards, #1)
  • 1633
  • 1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards, #3)
  • 1634: The Ram Rebellion (Assiti Shards, #4)
  • 1634 The Baltic War (Assiti Shards, #5)
  • 1634 The Bavarian Crisis  (Assiti Shards, #6)
  • 1635: Cannon Law (Assiti Shards, #7)
  • 1635: The Dreeson Incident
  • 1635: The Tangled Web
  • 1635: The Eastern Front (Assiti Shards, #10)
1632 (Assiti Shards, #1) 1633 1634 The Baltic War (Assiti Shards, #5) 1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards, #3) In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)

“Conspiracies existed, to be sure; many of them, and many were dark indeed. But fiendish? Fiendishness required brains. Nine times out of ten, conspirators behaved like buffoons and wound up exposing themselves out of sheer, bumbling incompetence.” 3 likes