Start by marking “Bad Girl Creek (Bad Girl Creek #1)” as Want to Read:
Bad Girl Creek (Bad Girl Creek #1)

Bad Girl Creek (Bad Girl Creek #1)

Phoebe DeThomas has lived life as spectator, confined to a wheelchair, in awe of her beloved Aunt Sadie, and overshadowed by her financial wizard brother, James. But when Sadie dies, leaving Phoebe a flower farm, the world opens up to her in ways she could never have imagined. Taking in three roommates to help get the farm running, she finds herself, for the first time in ...more
Published April 2nd 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Girl Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Girl Creek

Marleen
Nov 23, 2011 Marleen rated it really liked it
BGC is a real treat. Personally I find this book one of the warmest books on the topic of friendship between women. It’s the story of four very different women who come together on Phoebe DeThomas's newly inherited flower farm and form bonds of love and friendship. As always, Mapson describes the scenery and atmosphere with great talent and the reader has no problem imaging the flower farm and California.

Despite her disability, Phoebe DeThomas has great strength of character and that makes her
Cindypbarnard
Jun 13, 2012 Cindypbarnard rated it really liked it
This was a fun read.....a rag tag group of women who end up living together. Each, of course, has "a story". This is a trilogy and as book 2 and then 3 moved along the stories got a bit much. So, first one was good, "Along Came Mary" was okay, and by the time "Goodbye Earl" was done, I was glad.
Beth Weldon
Throughly enjoyed this story. I really liked the bonding of these wonderful women and how even through the toughest beginnings we can survive and make our world's happier and richer.
Kerry Hennigan
Jul 06, 2015 Kerry Hennigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was actually bereft when I finished Jo-Ann Mapson's "Bad Girl Creek". While reading this book I had been 'living with' the strong, supportive women, or ocelots, as they called themselves, who inhabited the flower farm left to wheel-chair bound Phoebe by her beloved Aunt Sadie.

I had been through the seasonal stresses of planting, cultivating and finally selling the plants; I had worried there wouldn't be any customers, and that the farm would fail to support all those who had found refuge there
Diana
Jul 04, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
This is a book with vivid women characters that is also interesting and leaves you hungering for more of the story (and I am sure there has to be another book to finish all the parts of the story line)
The main character is Phoebe DeThomas who has used a wheelchair all of her life. Phoebe is a rich character and not to put in the book to make you feel sorry or inspired for her. At the beginning of the book, Phoebe inherts the flower farm where she has been living with her colorful aunt, Sadie.
Tabitha Vohn
Jul 15, 2015 Tabitha Vohn rated it really liked it
Every Christmas my husband and I have dinner with his parents and his cousin. She's actually closer to his parents' age, and every year she'll have the television on, tuned to the Hallmark channel where they play cheesy, predictable chick-flick films with predictable endings and an excuse of a holiday backdrop. And no matter how hard I try to ignore them...I still can't look away, because they're sweet and good-natured and formulaic and pride themselves on that happy "aawwwww" ending.

Ok: Bad Gi
suzannarama
I just love Jo-Ann Mapson books, and not just when I'm hormonal. Sure, they're predictable as all get-out, and they do leave me feeling a little dirty, like I've just watched a Lifetime miniseries starring Ally Sheedy trying to be Bette Midler with cancer. But they just feel so right, like cuddling up near the fire with a chenille binky, warm, cozy and safe...despite the fact that men are unreliable and women are a minefield. A good Mapson book will make me laugh, neglect my family for a few ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 11, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
great friendships and lovely story.
Jazmin A
Sep 12, 2015 Jazmin A rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this book way too young to truly understand its depths, but having re-read it somewhat recently, I can understand why I recommended it then. I still would recommend this book.

Bad Girl Creek has diversity without feeling forced. It has companionship, friendship, loss, loneliness, love, the whole gamut of human experience (in the Western world, anyway).

I picked this book up when I was 10 years old at the library in San Jose. I picked it because it had "Bad Girl" in the title, and that's w
Nicole
Mar 10, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Women making friendships and learning to work with each other and their pet companions: a likable yellow lab, a thoroughbred gelding, a cursing macaw. The setting was the farm where they lived & worked attempting to make a go selling potted plants and cut flowers to the California moneyed set while each keeping their day job. This wasn't a stroll through the tulips it was described with real accuracy as to the difficulties of bringing a profit from a small farm versus the benefits from ...more
Linda
Oct 09, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
I had forgotten about Mapson, whose novels I enjoyed several years ago (“Hank and Chloe,” “Loving Chloe,”) and I was excited to find that she had written other books. Phoebe Thomas, confined to a wheelchair because of a twisted spine and heart problems, inherits a flower farm in California from her Aunt Sadie, who raised Phoebe. In order to keep the farm in business, Phoebe decides that she requires help, but doesn’t know quite where she’ll find any, until a homeless black woman with a horse ...more
Jacqueline Sheehan
Oct 15, 2015 Jacqueline Sheehan rated it it was amazing
This book was first published in 2001, but I only recently discovered it. Part of what I loved about this story, which is an intertwined compilation of women's lives, was the focus on the main character, Phoebe DeThomas. She is a young woman confined to a wheel chair. But having said that, the reader should delete any stereotype one might have about physical limitations. Mapson gives us the full life of a woman discovering love, sexuality, and personal power. I particularly liked that we get to ...more
Denise
Mar 13, 2011 Denise rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book. It is a bit dated, especially in regard to the medical information but well developed and entertaining. Four women end up sharing a large house on a flower farm that one of them has inherited. All of them go thru a period of growth and change together. Each is very different but they bond and are unseperatablyn bound together emotionally. I enjoyed this book because it was entertaining but I equate the work to a TV movie sort of product. I found the central theme a bit hard ...more
Amy
Dec 22, 2007 Amy rated it liked it

This book wasn't especially well-written, but I enjoyed it in spite of the occasionally cringe-worthy word choices.

The story takes turns being told from the viewpoints of four women who, through a variety of unusual circumstances, end up living together on a flower farm. Each is trying to deal with her own difficult past, and they help each other by forming their own little family group. Once you find out everybody's secret (in the first few chapters of the book), everything is fairly predictabl
BeParticular
I enjoyed this story of very different women (and their animals) coming together and forming their own family. The story continues with two more books and I'm interested to see what happens next. What kept the rating low was the extremely slow pace of the book. At 377 pages we should have learned much more about these characters than was revealed. And I didn't think it helped to have each chapter told from one of the four women's perspectives. There was no real insight given and it made the ...more
Cheryl Gill
May 27, 2014 Cheryl Gill rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of 4 women who become friends due to one characters' need to keep her house and flower farm. This is the first of a trilogy series by one of my favorite authors: Jo-Ann Mapson. I have read all her books and this particular trilogy is always a joy to read. Jo-Ann creates beautiful characters with sometimes flawed histories and are not perfect. I love the way her stories and descriptions help me to understand the foibles of humankind. I never miss one of her books and am always ...more
Dee
Jan 24, 2010 Dee rated it liked it
I was in the bookstore yesterday, and one of the young women was reading this novel. I'd forgotten about it until she showed it to me. A not so ordinary rendering of the three women living their dreams novel. In this one, the protagonist is handicapped (in a wheel chair) and inherits a flower farm from her aunt. Of course, her brother wants her to sell, but she doesn't.

I now see that it became a series. Interesting.
Mary Baker
Aug 09, 2012 Mary Baker rated it liked it
This was a decent read about four women who support each other through personal difficulties. With four major characters plus minor characters, I thought the author couldn't develop personalities very well. The relationship between Phoebe and Juan was hurried and contrived--not developed enough to be plausible. Nevertheless, the author caught my interest in the lives of her characters, and I'm now reading "Along Came Mary."
Danthony74
Aug 23, 2014 Danthony74 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I didn't want to put it down. The relationship of the 4 woman was touching. Phoebe is confined to a wheelchair and her beloved Aunt Sadie dies and leaves her a flower farm. In order to pay for the running of the farm, she takes in room mates with pets. The develope an invaluable bond as they learn friendship and purpose. I enjoyed it so much. I will read more Jo-Ann Mapson
Gerry
Apr 14, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it
Phoebe’s been taken care of all her life; after all, she’s crippled and confined to a wheelchair. When she inherits a flower farm unexpectedly from her much-loved Aunt Sadie, it’s time for Phoebe to begin to take care of herself, and she does, bringing together an unusual assortment of down-on-their-luck women to create a special “family” that brings the farm back to life. This is the first in a trilogy, and I look forward to the next installment.
Pam
Jan 04, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
I feel like I just "discovered" Ms. Mapson. After recently reading her 2 latest, I am going back to earlier books. Bad Girl Creek is the first of 3 books about the same people. I loved this! I love her books! They are smart, fun, funny, interesting and poignant at times. Next up The Wilder Sisters and Along Came mary
Christi
Feb 12, 2008 Christi rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007-reads
I didn't expect to like this book. I thought at first the characters were too whiny. They turned out not to be the typical "man haters" or "ditzes" of chick lit. They grew together and individually to become successful in business, love and life. And not just in the final chapter.
I was impressed.
Linda Schlomer
May 04, 2016 Linda Schlomer rated it really liked it
I received this book as a prize from the author. It is a story about four women who each were going through something and how they over came the problems. It also shows how people can work together to make something out of nothing if they only try hard enough. It is about how strangers can become friends and family. And along the way they find love. It is a feel good book.
Linda
Feb 23, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Fabulous book written from woman's perspective. Fun funky read. Book 3 Goodbye Earl continues the lives of well developed characters. You'll find you want these women for your friends too. The topics included are HIV, Prison, being in a wheel-chair, falling in love, running a business, death of loved one, caring for pets, Bird Rescue programs, California.
Alicia
Feb 22, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
A tale of four very different women, all with a different problems that they are facing in life. Phoeboe, in a wheelchair, has just inherited her aunt's flower farm. She finds 3 room mates, all with a love of animals and rocky past with men, with whom she bonds and manages to make the farm successful. A feel good kind of book.
Julie
Feb 13, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
I took a chance on anothe Jo-Ann Mapson book. Once again, it's a nice easy summer read. This is my second Mapson book - similar character development and depth (which I enjoy) - seems like she's using the same "recipe" in terms of setting (California); similar stress on females who have been "burned" by males...and somebody is sick again, but somehow...that's OK.
Donna
May 02, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
The story of four middle aged women who become roommates on a flower farm in northern California. They've all had difficult lives and it was easy to become immersed in their stories. The characters are 3-dimensional and quirky. Mapson's writing style reminds me of my favorite author, Jodi Picoult. I think there's a follow up book with the same characters which I'll also read.
Margaret
Feb 24, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it
Well-drawn characters with a plot line that kept me reading. A few escapist plot points, which I consider forgivable. Ending left open, which I appreciated -- although I just learned this is the first in a series, and I am not entirely sure I will read the next one. I might just leave this as a book I enjoyed for its story and quality of writing.
Keri
Feb 05, 2008 Keri added it
I learned that women can be the best support in your life and the thing that you need the most in a time of crisis. Women will shelter you from the storms of life and make you laugh when you most feel like crying. Your friends will be your champion when you most need it and will cheer you on in the best of times. Read this book to laugh along or cry, depending on what chapter your reading.
Christine
I read this on the recommendation of my mom. It's got the friendship and heart of chick lit, but digs deeper than shopping, shoes and drinks. It's the story of four wayward women and how they came together in one house, making a family when they all desperately needed one. A nice escapist read - I'll likely get to the others in the trilogy.
  • Death from the Woods
  • Socialite Evenings
  • The Will
  • The Crying Heart Tattoo
  • The Prodigal Nun (Sister Agatha, #5)
  • Hex and the Single Girl
  • The Last of the Honky-Tonk Angels (Lucy Hatch, #2)
  • Everlasting
Jo-Ann Mapson, a third generation Californian, grew up in Fullerton as a middle child with four siblings. She dropped out of college to marry, but later finished a creative writing degree at California State University, Long Beach. Following her son's birth in 1978, Mapson worked an assortment of odd jobs teaching horseback riding, cleaning houses, typing resumes, and working retail. After earning ...more
More about Jo-Ann Mapson...

Bad Girl Creek (3 books)
  • Along Came Mary (Bad Girl Creek #2)
  • Goodbye, Earl: A Bad Girl Creek Novel

“What ever was fair? What ever is? You put one foot in front of the other and you walk through all of it. And if you’re lucky, like I am, on either side, you plant flowers.” 0 likes