Start by marking “Happy Hippo, Angry Duck” as Want to Read:
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck

Happy Hippo, Angry Duck

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  778 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Are you HAPPY AS A HIPPO?
Or ANGRY AS A DUCK?
Maybe SAD AS A CHICKEN?
(Can you sadly say "CLUCK CLUCK"?)

Bestselling author Sandra Boynton is back in this all-new board book about moods. Boynton's clever animals exemplify a wide range of emotions in this hilarious story about different feelings. Young readers are sure to giggle as interactive text asks them if they
Board Book, 16 pages
Published May 24th 2011 by Little Simon

Melody
Read this at Powell's the other day- it was, like most Boynton board books, charming and adorable and fun. Boynton board books are so charming, in fact, that they make me think that I'd like to work somewhere I could read them to toddlers all day long. That's how good this book is. But then I woke up and put the book back on the shelf, backed away until I was a safe distance, turned on my heel and ran like hell.
midnightfaerie
Another typical Boynton. Beautiful, cute, illustrations, but not deep enough content to keep my children really engaged. They did like the angry duck in this one and how he kept popping up. They also liked to make the different faces, but some of them, like the "sweetly amused pig" or the "contented frog" were a bit over their heads to really understand. Still, a Boynton is not without merit.
Mallory
A funny story about a lot of different feelings. It teaches your little one that it's okay to be mad or sad or happy or silly. Lots of new words and fun pictures. A great book to read aloud as you can make lots of funny voices and actions.
Drew Graham
People go through many moods. They come and go, and you can usually find a good one, like the animals in this book do (except for that duck).

This is another brilliant Sandra Boynton board book. It seems like emotions and moods aren't usually something that's addressed in books for tiny readers, but this does it in such a way that it's true and relatable (and interactive), not only for little ones, but for their parents too. Some of the emotion/animal pairings are a little bit of a stretch, but w
David
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck: a book of Moods by Sandra Boynton is a humorous boardbook look at emotions and moods.

Boynton's illustrations feature her slightly silly animals portraying different moods that animals or peopple may adopt. Hippo, duck, chicken, moose, duck, rabbit, frog, pig, cow, dog, and "thing" are shown in different moods. My favorite images are hippo, duck, moose, frog, cow, frazzled, and group.

In a straight forward manner, a animal narrator asks young readers about their moods. Aft
Heidi
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Could there ever be a Boynton book I do not love to pieces? I highly doubt it. And this book continues my great love of her work. What a fabulous book on moods! Simple yet hilarious. The illustrations convey so well. And the message near the end is something I still need to be reassured of. If there were a larger format, this book would be very fun in a toddler storytime, too.

I think, being my unfortunately and uncontrollably moody self, my mother (great saint who has alw
Pam
This is a good addition to our Sandra Boynton collection, but it's not her best work. It just doesn't have the same catchiness and personality of her other books, like But Not The Hippopotamus and Blue Hat, Green Hat.
Asho
It's no "Barnyard Dance" but it's still a cute Boynton book. And this book actually did open up some discussion of moods with my toddler, who was especially interested in showing me which animals were mad and sad.
Cynthia Varady
I love the message this book delivers; we all have bad days, but don't worry, they won't last forever, and you are always loved.
Craig Fischer
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck is a rhyming early reader, and while it starts off kind of stupid, it wins you over by the time you have to cluck cluck sadly. It has a nice message about friends always being there that I think could have been expounded a bit better, but I really liked the ending with that Angry Duck--I think it would have been better if Sandra would had the other critters trying to be it's friend--while it still remained grumpy, to try and instill the message just a bit more, but I sor ...more
Wooden Horse
I love Sandra Boynton for all of the work she does to encourage kids to turn off their televisions and to get out and play. I also love all of her rather silly books. Happy Hippo, Angry Duck is a very simple book of moods with loads of silly faces. It's a close second to Moo, Baa, La La La in my favorite books by Ms. Boynton.
Annalise
Mommy loves that this talks about different moods, but I get bored of it once it talks about a frazzled thing.... Mommy thinks I'll love it when I'm older.
Missy Kirtley
I thought this one would open up doors so that my daughter and I could talk about feelings and emotions, but I don't think she really understood. She also picked up the book and started reciting "Fifteen Animals" (same author) word for word. I guess she saw the illustration style, and thought it was the same book!

We just received a gift of 8 Boynton board books from a friend of mine, and I think we'll stick with those.
Alicia Scully
Garsh, I loved this book. It's a book of moods, as described on the cover, and it really does delve into different moods. Boynton keeps her characters that fans will recognize and love to see in action. I loved the duck and the fact that's he's surly regardless and I loved that there's a point at the end about how you're loved regardless of bad moods. I bet that will be very reassuring for kids who have issues with tantrums.
Nansense
Ever since I found it in the long line at TJ Maxx, I continue to read HHAD over and over. I agree w Boynton. Feelings are important, and wise friends are essential for bearing some of the thornier emotions. And ducks are angry. Well, maybe not that last thing, but am 100% on the other messages. As a former Prisoner of the Left Side of the Brain, this romp across the corpus callosum is just the ticket.
Mailee Pyper
This book is great. I am starting to think this author is just great. I really appreciate it when I don't feel like the author of children's books is questioning the intelligence of not only my children but also of me as a parent (for choosing to read their book). This author puts in clever little rhymes that are enjoyable, funny, and help with learning all at the same time. Delightful!
Lauren
I read a board book version of this book, though it seems more appropriate for preschoolers or older toddlers, as they are more likely to get the humor, particularly when it is implied rather than explicit at the end.
Lisa Overberg
Amusing rhyming book to introduce moods to the early grades using animals who have complicated emotions and Sandra Boynton's cute, funny illustrations (especially the angry duck and the contented frog). The book explains that it's OK to have difficult moods but unless you are that Angry Duck, you won't stay that way forever.

Grade level: Pre-K - K
reading level: 1.9
Lexile: 530L
Robin
I love Sandra Boynton's work, and this is my current favorite. It starts with a fun list of emotions that I can act out while reading, then ends with two great messages: your friends are here for you if you feel bad, and hard feelings don't last forever. It's a sweet book with a great lesson and I enjoy reading it to my kids every time.
Libby
It is so important for toddlers to learn about their emotions and the emotions of other people, too. I have read that if young kids don't learn empathy during a specific developmental window they may never be able to fully grasp the concept of empathy. Sandra Boynton teaches moods with her fabulous humor and unique style.
Kathy Cowley
This hilarious take on moods highlights fun rhymes with cartoon pictures, sometimes speaking directly to the reader. (Take, for example, the first page: "Hello little person. How are you today? Is your mood quite terrific? Or only okay?) I loved reading the book aloud so much that I now practically have it memorized.
Peanut
MOMMY: I'd give this 5 stars because I love reading it. There is so much opportunity to show emotion through the changing of tones and the cadence is perfect.

PEANUT: At 3 years old he has enjoyed this book for several years but it's never the first book he picks from the pile.
George Miles
Fabulous book for the young - and the not so young! Not only is it OK TO have lots of emotions, we don't have to face things alone.
Eric
A fantastic way to introduce children to moods and how to deal with them, and with great humor, the punchline is a fantastic payout.

For some reason I don't understand, whenever I read this to my daughter I do it in my Bill Cosby voice. I don't know what that says about me.
Felicia
This one is longer than the other Boynton books we own, but it cracks me up. I take great pleasure in sadly cluck clucking at my son when I read it. So far, he loses interest in this one half way through though, which is odd because he usually really enjoys being read to.
Linda
Sandra Boynton is one of my favorite children's authors. I love her illustrations and her sense of humor. she uses rhymes, but they never feel forced or contrived. this one is great because of the twist of the angry duck at the end. good for talking about feelings.
Elizabeth S
As with all of Boynton's stuff, this book is a silly treasure. It is fun, clever, and off-the-wall. It also introduces a number of different emotions in a fun way. That would be useful, at times, for helping kids learn about feelings.
Paige
You really can't go wrong with Sandra Boynton. This was given to us by my mom and it is charming and wonderful. I would read it aloud everyday if my two year old would allow it.
Kaethe
Here's a challenge: draw an angry duck. Or top that, draw a sympathetically angry duck. Boynton is a genius, unappreciated by any except the very young.

Library copy.
Jackie
May 27, 2011 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
So cute! I love Sandra Boynton, and this one is a great addition to her collection of fun board books that's sure to get children interested in reading, singing, etc.
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • Tubby
  • First 100 Words
  • Black on White
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Trains Go
  • Can I Play Too? (Elephant & Piggie, #12)
  • My Very First Book Of Shapes
  • Heads
  • You Are My Cupcake
  • Ollie
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)