Start by marking “The Killing Storm (Sarah Armstrong, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Killing Storm (Sarah Armstrong, #3)

The Killing Storm (Sarah Armstrong #3)

On a quiet afternoon in the park, four-year-old Joey plays in the sandbox, when a stranger approaches looking for his puppy. While Joey’s mom, Crystal, talks on her cell phone, the stranger convinces the child to help search. By the time Crystal turns around, her son has disappeared. Yet her reaction is odd, not what one would expect from a distraught mother. Is Crystal so ...more
Published October 26th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Killing Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing Storm

Kay Huck
Aug 08, 2011 Kay Huck rated it really liked it
When Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong begins investigating cattle killings with obscure writings, she doesn't dream she will be chasing a killer into the eye of a hurricane. Page-turner suspense! Love it!
Roger
May 15, 2017 Roger rated it really liked it
A good entertaining series of a lady Texas Ranger. Found this third book very good, recommend.
Kevintipple
May 30, 2011 Kevintipple rated it really liked it
Kids always have been a key part of this series featuring Texas Ranger and Criminal Profiler Sarah Armstrong written by former true crime writer Kathryn Casey. The same is true from the first page despite the fact that the initial focus is about how the summer heat has lingered on deep into October, Hurricane Juanita is stalled out in the gulf, and somebody has killed a very expensive bull on a ranch outside of Houston in order to send a message.

With a vulture perched above the scene around in a
Deborah
I've just finished reading The Killing Storm as a tropical storm of thunder and lightening grumbles and blitzes its way around me and the skies are dark with torrential rains. I'm glad it's in this setting Kathryn Casey's book draws to an end for me because her story climaxes during a horrendous hurricane that wars demonically against her protagonist, Sarah Armstrong. I couldn't have asked for more atmospheric drama!

However, in this case, I didn't need the help of a storm at home to experience h
Crystal
Dec 14, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Kathyn Casey and it won't be my last. If you are looking for a thrill ride to go on from the first page until the last, then The Killing Storm is for you. Set against the backdrop of a monster hurricane approaching the Texas coast makes the stakes even higher for Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong. She's not only racing against a kidnapper/killer but also an extremely powerful hurricane.

As someone who lives on the coast I understand the hurricane background very well. So that
Gina
May 20, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
From the book flap- On a quiet afternoon in Houston, 4 year old Joey Warner is playing in a park sandbox when a stranger approaches looking for his runaway dog. While Joey's mom, Crystal, talks on her cell phone, the stranger convinces Joey to help him search. By the time Crystal turns around, her son has disappeared. Yet her reaction is odd, not what one would expect from a distraught mother......Meanwhile, on a cattle ranch outside Houston, Texas Ranger and profiler Sarah Armstrong assesses a ...more
Cheryl
Nov 04, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A huge hurricane named Juanita is brewing. It is making its way to Houston .

Four year old, Joey was playing at the park with his mother, Crystal. A man walks up to Joey and asks him to help find his lost puppy. Joey goes with the man.

Joey’s mother reacts oddly. So what is Crystal hiding and did she have something to do with Joey’s disappearance. Joey’s father would not put it past Crystal to harm Joey if she saw a way to get lots of money quick. Joey’s father is not innocent either.

Texas Rang
Ashley Dawn
Dec 21, 2010 Ashley Dawn rated it it was amazing
A twisted case has Texas Ranger, Sarah Armstrong, baffled. Someone is murdering longhorn bulls and painting symbols on them. Sarah is almost one of a kind, being a woman in an almost completely male department, not only that, but she is also a profiler. She and her partner Buckshot are trying to find who is murdering the docile bulls and why, but the only leads are the unusual symbols left on the carcasses.
David, an FBI profiler and pseudo boyfriend of Sarah’s has his own problems. Someone stole
Vilia
Review from Backchatting Books

This was quite an uncomfortable read as it focussed on the kidnapping of a small boy named Joey. His mother Crystal's reaction is fairly odd as it takes her a while to report him missing from the park where he was playing. Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong is brought in as a consultant on the case by her FBI boyfriend even though she and her partner are already investigating the death of prize winning bulls.

Read it for...
The tense situation when a hurricane hits and the
Viccy
Nov 24, 2010 Viccy rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Sarah Armstrong is a Texas Ranger, one of only two female Rangers and an FBI trained profiler. While waiting for a Category 5 hurricane to blow into Galveston from the Gulf of Mexico, Sarah is called to the scene of a cattle mutilation. She comes to learn the symbol inscribed on the side of the long-horn bull is African. Then she gets the call all law enforcement officers dread -- a child is missing from a park in Houston. Soon, these two crimes merge and Sarah knows she is on the hunt for a cra ...more
Sandra
Dec 29, 2012 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This book started with a thud, but I didn't have anything else to read, not even a Time Magazine, so until something better came along I kept at it. By about the 4th chapter I couldn't put it down. The detective hero ties two dissimilar crimes together, only half way thru the book, then keeps you biting your nails as she and her colleagues try to catch the bad guy in time to save a child's life. So, great book, but I couldn't give it a five only because I hate reading about children being hurt o ...more
K
Apr 11, 2014 K rated it liked it
another series out of order, but a lot of references to the other books.
Sarah, a texas ranger, is helping her partner solve a mystery involving prize longhorns murdered and marked with African symbolism markings.
David, her fbi boyfriend, is trying to solve the disappearance of a 4yo little boy from a park in plain sight of his mother crystal.
A hurricane looms off the coast of galvaston, threatening all of the mysteries at the same time.
I liked the pace and the storyline. At times when she goes o
Dec 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I had no idea this was the 3rd book of the series until I had done read it so obviously it is a great stand alone story! This was a real fast paced, nail biting, edge of your seat thrill ride! I Loved it!

A young boy goes missing and a huge storm brews and is making its way closer and closer to Houston while some sicko is killing off prized cattle and leaving strange symbols on them. sarah and David join forces to try to find the child with little to no help from the boys parents. Are they involv
Dec 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
From my book review blog Rundpinne...."Casey has cleverly crafted three storylines together leaving clues and false clues for the reader to follow and unravel in the hopes of getting ahead of Sarah. I truly enjoyed reading The Killing Storm and will be looking out for the fourth Sarah Armstrong mystery."....The full review may be read here.
Autumn
Dec 13, 2010 Autumn rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I knew it was the third book in the series but I read it without reading the first two and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. It could have easily been a stand alone novel. It was a great mystery novel that made even more tense by the impending hurricane threatening to derail the investigation. Kathryn Casey is a great writer and clearly a lot of research went into this book. I'm looking forward to more from this writer.
Brenda B Birdow
Dec 17, 2010 Brenda B Birdow rated it really liked it
An easy read - the setting is as a hurricane hits the Houston area so it's always neat to recognize the locales noted in a book and to relate to the tensions associated with an in-coming hurricane. It grabs you in the beginning as a young 4 yr old boy is kidnapped and the ensuing pursuit of a diabolical cuplrit.
Susan
Mar 26, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
An average whodunit with a decent story line. I really didn't find any of the characters very well written except for the squirrely-odd mother. The heroine is a profiler for the Texas Rangers and frankly I found her pretty one dimensional. I guess this book is one of a series and it is left w/a cliff hanger but there is nothing that would compel me to watch for any sequels.
Ruth
Apr 06, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Such a relief to be reading a plot driven story. Apparently this is the 3rd in the Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong series. Not familiar with series or author, but I liked the book OK. SPOILER: one of those unusual tales with culprit escaping justice. I smell a sequel.
Kathleen Smith
Apr 24, 2011 Kathleen Smith rated it liked it
Good mystery!!!!!! Not up to par with the books I have been reading ( Cutting for Stone or The Help), but still good.....Very transparent ending left open for a sequel. If you like mystery then it works.
House of Aqua
Sep 18, 2011 House of Aqua rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. At times it was hard to read considering the four year old boy's life is in question, but the book captured and held my attention. I look forward to reading more books by this author in the near future.
Sharla
Nov 21, 2011 Sharla rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by this author that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was born in Houston and I still have relatives in Texas so it was quite enjoyable to read about my old hometown. I will definitely be ready more books by Ms. Casey.
Marianne Stehr
Oct 13, 2011 Marianne Stehr rated it really liked it
This is another good book in the Sarah Armstrong series. This one takes a little bit to get into, but once it gets going it flies. It appears that one character leaves the series and one enters. No spoilers here though. Pick it up and read it, it is a good one.
Patti
Jul 26, 2013 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 2 and a half.

Predictable, right down to the (view spoiler)

Characterization was good, but I won't be reading any more in the series.
SouthWestZippy
Apr 29, 2015 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong is back and WOW, Kathryn Casey stepped up the mystery in this one. Great story line, strong characters. So far this is my favorite of the Sarah Armstrong series books.
Debbie Andreen
Jun 04, 2014 Debbie Andreen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best of the three Sarah Armstrong mysteries. My heart was racing throughout, especially during that storm!
Sep 02, 2010 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, mystery-women
Not my favourite Kathryn Casey novel. I didn't find myself connecting with the characters at all and the plot, frankly, was a little far fetched.
Anisha
Sep 28, 2012 Anisha added it
Good book.perfect drama and true crime mysteries...
Karen Dunaway
Jul 31, 2014 Karen Dunaway rated it it was ok
Low two stars. Only redeeming features were hurricane and grammatical writing.
Kathy
May 07, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Excellent whodunit!
Theresa
Apr 26, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Quick, easy read--was fun recognizing the places in and around Houston in the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Veronica's Nap
  • Falling Skies
  • The River of Forgetting: A Memoir of Healing from Sexual Abuse
  • Dead Bad Things
  • Something Red
  • A Spark of Death
  • Motor City Shakedown (Detroit Mysteries)
  • The Manicurist
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Out of Breath  (The Lithia Trilogy, #1)
  • The Reconstructionist
  • Murder in the Air (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #17)
  • Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • The Last Track (Mike Brody, #1)
  • Snakewoman of Little Egypt
  • Wings: A Novel of World War II Flygirls
  • Consider This, Senora (A Harvest Book)
A novelist and an award-winning journalist, Kathryn Casey is the creator of the Sarah Armstrong mystery series and the author of eight highly acclaimed true crime books. Her first novel, SINGULARITY, was one of Booklist’s best crime novel debuts of 2009, and Library Journal chose the third, THE KILLING STORM, as one of the best books of 2010. In both books Casey’s protagonist is a Texas Ranger/pro ...more
More about Kathryn Casey...

Sarah Armstrong (3 books)
  • Singularity (Sarah Armstrong, #1)
  • Blood Lines (Sarah Armstrong, #2)