The Killing Storm

The Killing Storm ( Sarah Armstrong #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  34 reviews
On a quiet afternoon in the park, four-year-old Joey plays in the sandbox, when a stranger approaches looking for his puppy. While Joey’s mom, Crystal, talks on her cell phone, the stranger convinces the child to help search. By the time Crystal turns around, her son has disappeared. Yet her reaction is odd, not what one would expect from a distraught mother. Is Crystal so...more
Published October 26th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

Kay Huck
When Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong begins investigating cattle killings with obscure writings, she doesn't dream she will be chasing a killer into the eye of a hurricane. Page-turner suspense! Love it!
K
another series out of order, but a lot of references to the other books.
Sarah, a texas ranger, is helping her partner solve a mystery involving prize longhorns murdered and marked with African symbolism markings.
David, her fbi boyfriend, is trying to solve the disappearance of a 4yo little boy from a park in plain sight of his mother crystal.
A hurricane looms off the coast of galvaston, threatening all of the mysteries at the same time.
I liked the pace and the storyline. At times when she goes o...more
Crystal
This is my first book by Kathyn Casey and it won't be my last. If you are looking for a thrill ride to go on from the first page until the last, then The Killing Storm is for you. Set against the backdrop of a monster hurricane approaching the Texas coast makes the stakes even higher for Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong. She's not only racing against a kidnapper/killer but also an extremely powerful hurricane.

As someone who lives on the coast I understand the hurricane background very well. So that...more
Ashley Dawn
A twisted case has Texas Ranger, Sarah Armstrong, baffled. Someone is murdering longhorn bulls and painting symbols on them. Sarah is almost one of a kind, being a woman in an almost completely male department, not only that, but she is also a profiler. She and her partner Buckshot are trying to find who is murdering the docile bulls and why, but the only leads are the unusual symbols left on the carcasses.
David, an FBI profiler and pseudo boyfriend of Sarah’s has his own problems. Someone stole...more
Kevintipple
Kids always have been a key part of this series featuring Texas Ranger and Criminal Profiler Sarah Armstrong written by former true crime writer Kathryn Casey. The same is true from the first page despite the fact that the initial focus is about how the summer heat has lingered on deep into October, Hurricane Juanita is stalled out in the gulf, and somebody has killed a very expensive bull on a ranch outside of Houston in order to send a message.

With a vulture perched above the scene around in a...more
Gina
From the book flap- On a quiet afternoon in Houston, 4 year old Joey Warner is playing in a park sandbox when a stranger approaches looking for his runaway dog. While Joey's mom, Crystal, talks on her cell phone, the stranger convinces Joey to help him search. By the time Crystal turns around, her son has disappeared. Yet her reaction is odd, not what one would expect from a distraught mother......Meanwhile, on a cattle ranch outside Houston, Texas Ranger and profiler Sarah Armstrong assesses a...more
Cheryl
A huge hurricane named Juanita is brewing. It is making its way to Houston .

Four year old, Joey was playing at the park with his mother, Crystal. A man walks up to Joey and asks him to help find his lost puppy. Joey goes with the man.

Joey’s mother reacts oddly. So what is Crystal hiding and did she have something to do with Joey’s disappearance. Joey’s father would not put it past Crystal to harm Joey if she saw a way to get lots of money quick. Joey’s father is not innocent either.

Texas Rang...more
Deborah
I've just finished reading The Killing Storm as a tropical storm of thunder and lightening grumbles and blitzes its way around me and the skies are dark with torrential rains. I'm glad it's in this setting Kathryn Casey's book draws to an end for me because her story climaxes during a horrendous hurricane that wars demonically against her protagonist, Sarah Armstrong. I couldn't have asked for more atmospheric drama!

However, in this case, I didn't need the help of a storm at home to experience h...more
Vilia
Review from Backchatting Books

This was quite an uncomfortable read as it focussed on the kidnapping of a small boy named Joey. His mother Crystal's reaction is fairly odd as it takes her a while to report him missing from the park where he was playing. Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong is brought in as a consultant on the case by her FBI boyfriend even though she and her partner are already investigating the death of prize winning bulls.

Read it for...
The tense situation when a hurricane hits and the...more
Viccy
Sarah Armstrong is a Texas Ranger, one of only two female Rangers and an FBI trained profiler. While waiting for a Category 5 hurricane to blow into Galveston from the Gulf of Mexico, Sarah is called to the scene of a cattle mutilation. She comes to learn the symbol inscribed on the side of the long-horn bull is African. Then she gets the call all law enforcement officers dread -- a child is missing from a park in Houston. Soon, these two crimes merge and Sarah knows she is on the hunt for a cra...more
Sandra
This book started with a thud, but I didn't have anything else to read, not even a Time Magazine, so until something better came along I kept at it. By about the 4th chapter I couldn't put it down. The detective hero ties two dissimilar crimes together, only half way thru the book, then keeps you biting your nails as she and her colleagues try to catch the bad guy in time to save a child's life. So, great book, but I couldn't give it a five only because I hate reading about children being hurt o...more
I had no idea this was the 3rd book of the series until I had done read it so obviously it is a great stand alone story! This was a real fast paced, nail biting, edge of your seat thrill ride! I Loved it!

A young boy goes missing and a huge storm brews and is making its way closer and closer to Houston while some sicko is killing off prized cattle and leaving strange symbols on them. sarah and David join forces to try to find the child with little to no help from the boys parents. Are they involv...more
Debbie Andreen
This is the best of the three Sarah Armstrong mysteries. My heart was racing throughout, especially during that storm!
From my book review blog Rundpinne...."Casey has cleverly crafted three storylines together leaving clues and false clues for the reader to follow and unravel in the hopes of getting ahead of Sarah. I truly enjoyed reading The Killing Storm and will be looking out for the fourth Sarah Armstrong mystery."....The full review may be read here.
Autumn
I really enjoyed this book. I knew it was the third book in the series but I read it without reading the first two and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. It could have easily been a stand alone novel. It was a great mystery novel that made even more tense by the impending hurricane threatening to derail the investigation. Kathryn Casey is a great writer and clearly a lot of research went into this book. I'm looking forward to more from this writer.
Susan
An average whodunit with a decent story line. I really didn't find any of the characters very well written except for the squirrely-odd mother. The heroine is a profiler for the Texas Rangers and frankly I found her pretty one dimensional. I guess this book is one of a series and it is left w/a cliff hanger but there is nothing that would compel me to watch for any sequels.
Brenda B Birdow
An easy read - the setting is as a hurricane hits the Houston area so it's always neat to recognize the locales noted in a book and to relate to the tensions associated with an in-coming hurricane. It grabs you in the beginning as a young 4 yr old boy is kidnapped and the ensuing pursuit of a diabolical cuplrit.
Ruth
Such a relief to be reading a plot driven story. Apparently this is the 3rd in the Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong series. Not familiar with series or author, but I liked the book OK. SPOILER: one of those unusual tales with culprit escaping justice. I smell a sequel.
Marianne Stehr
This is another good book in the Sarah Armstrong series. This one takes a little bit to get into, but once it gets going it flies. It appears that one character leaves the series and one enters. No spoilers here though. Pick it up and read it, it is a good one.
Sharla
This is the first book by this author that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was born in Houston and I still have relatives in Texas so it was quite enjoyable to read about my old hometown. I will definitely be ready more books by Ms. Casey.
Patti
More like 2 and a half.

Predictable, right down to the (view spoiler)

Characterization was good, but I won't be reading any more in the series.
House of Aqua
I really enjoyed this book. At times it was hard to read considering the four year old boy's life is in question, but the book captured and held my attention. I look forward to reading more books by this author in the near future.
Kathleen Smith
Good mystery!!!!!! Not up to par with the books I have been reading ( Cutting for Stone or The Help), but still good.....Very transparent ending left open for a sequel. If you like mystery then it works.
Jackie
I read this book, even after realizing it was the third in a series, and I hadn't read the first two. It was a good, thrilling read, but unfortunately I didn't love the author's writing style.
Not my favourite Kathryn Casey novel. I didn't find myself connecting with the characters at all and the plot, frankly, was a little far fetched.
Christin Osborn
This was a good book. It took a little while for me to get really into it, but once I did I was really into it! It was a good easy read.
Diane Fanning
Love Sarah Armstrong. Love this series. I want more. This third book is the best one of all. Go Kathryn Casey!
Rhonda
This book was a quick read, with some twists and turns, and some kind of corny coincidences, but overall pretty good.
Mary Kay
This story of a kidnapping & bizarre cattle mutilations takes place in Houston on the eve of a hurricane.
Sue
Continuing series. Good characters; set in Texas with female Texas Ranger as main character. Good plot.
Kathryn Casey is a Houston-based journalist who has written for Rolling Stone, TV Guide, Newsweek, Texas Monthly, and many other publications.
More about Kathryn Casey...
She Wanted It All Shattered A Descent Into Hell Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters