Start by marking “Fade to White (A Ski Diva Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fade to White (A Ski Diva Mystery, #2)
Preview

Fade to White (A Ski Diva Mystery #2)

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Heavy snow is falling on Spruce Peak when Stacey Curtis returns in her second skiing mystery. Hollywood has-been Harper Stone arrives in Stacey’s little Vermont town to shoot a mouthwash commercial, and he’s far from happy about it. When the actor turns up dead—and the last person to see him alive is Brian Russell, Stacey’s jealous ex-fiancé—Stacey can’t help but become in ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fade to White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fade to White

Julie H.
Fade to White is a light, airy bit of escapism. The mystery itself isn't too complicated, but what remains unsolved is precisely how protagonist Stacey Curtis' account manager ex-fiance (and unlamented) Brian manages to insinuate himself onto a commercial photo shoot. While delighted that Stacey left the philandering moron as the set-up for this series, one is left seriously doubting what she ever saw in this self-absorbed dolt. The best bit of these stories is author Wendy Clinch's (er, I mean ...more
Stephanie
I got my hands on an advance reader copy and read it while at an early season ski vacation. Other than the first line of the book, I’ve forgotten the plot to Wendy Clinch's debut, Double Black, so it may not be fair to say that I enjoyed Fade to White more. Stacey Curtis is back waitressing at the Broken Binding in Vermont when a Hollywood has-been rolls into town with a crew to film a mouthwash commercial. What happens next is a well-told story – that it’s a murder mystery is almost a bonus. Th ...more
Tracie Petersen
This book has a lot of the same feel as the first book "Double Black", which is both good and bad. Good, because Stacey is her same, likeable, headstrong self. Good, because the story is a fast read that's easy to pick up any time of the day. Good, if you're a skier, since it again captures a lot of nuances that only a skier would get (Brian's dinosaur hat was a nice touch). Bad, because of Scooby-Doo-like ending...all that was missing was the old man saying "and I would have gotten away with it ...more
emily
Jan 21, 2011 emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who don't ski, because skiers already know that this is awesome.
Stacey Curtis returns! She's still solving crime at Spruce Peak (and serving drinks at the Broken Binding), but this time the murder victim is washed-up action hero Harper Stone, and Stacey's slimy ex Brian is in the picture, too.

The Ski Diva mysteries are so much fun -- they're clever, fast-moving, and often hilarious. Often, successful mystery novels are gorefests or triumphs of characters driving around talking to people, then driving explaining to the reader what just happened, then driving
Peggy
I was intrigued by the cover and the synopsis. I really wasn't impressed. It was a quick read, characters were fairly funny. But it didn't go too far to keep me interested. A murder mystery, the author could have gone a little deeper with the intrigue. The murdered man wasn't killed until halfway into the book and then it was all cleared up so conveniently in just a few pages. Too much background on the main character and not enough of the investigation. Rahter like an old Nancy Drew.
Becky
This second in the series was pretty disappointing. The mystery itself turned out to be very thin -- promising through the first half and a letdown through the ending. Stacey, amateur sleuth and main character, was somewhat in the background in this one as well. Her parts of the book were mostly ski driven, or, amazingly, making the sheriff look completely inept to his face while not actually helping the investigation along.
Susan
Ski bum/bartender Stacey Curtis isn't too excited by the commercial featuring old-time movie star Hampton Stone--she's too young to be in his fan base--until she and her friend Chip find him dead on the mountain. Stacey is more concerned with the presence of her ex-fiance, who seems to want to reconcile with her. No way, Dude! Probably those into skiing will enjoy this more than I did.
Kate
Enjoyed this second in the series about Stacey Curtis who gets involved with murders in her small Vermont ski town. The author, Wendy Clinch very well captures the physical side of skiing, from the exhilaration of flying down a mountain to the cold of riding up the chair lift. The mystery is okay, I did figure it out before the end, but it was a fun read for a hot and stemay summer afternoon.
Vicki
Very enjoyable, a quick read. Great likable protoganists on cusp of...relationship or staying pals, that's another mystery which to me feels real and modern and relevant. Good murder mystery but it wrapped so fast I kinda wanted more to round out the tale. Love the ski theme.
I love Clinch's fun, quick mysteries featuring Stacey Curtis, bartender and super skier in Vermont. Perhaps it's the ski resort setting, or my experience living in the part of Vermont she describes, but I just can't get enough. Looking forward to the next one...
Helen Dunn
As enjoyable (maybe more so) than the first book by Wendy Clinch. This is not heavy duty literature but it's quick entertainment with quirky characters. Kind of strikes me as "murder in Stars Hollow" with the Gilmore girls as sleuths.
Deshay
I'm not a skier so some of this series is lost on me. However I like the characters and the setting. A decent mystery and I think the series will get better.
Marsha
Second book of hers I have read...really enjoyed the first one. Really struggled thru this one. Ski town mystery about an old movie star.
Caroline
A so-so read. Seemed fairly loose and I don't seem to have developed any connection with the characters.
Kathleen
Such an easy, breezy page turner I had to stop myself to admire the sentence-level craft. Great read.
Amy
Even worse than the first. Story is boring and the who-dunnit is neither thrilling nor likely.
Diane
Really enjoyed this second installment. Going to be a fun series
Michele
This was as good as the first one! Hope there is a 3rd!
Sue
Jun 20, 2011 Sue added it
a alittle slow but a good ending.
Sabra
Booooooring.
Cozy Misstery
Cozy Misstery marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Jaki
Jaki marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kristin Sposato
Kristin Sposato marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born and raised in Ocean County, NJ, Wendy Clinch is the founder of TheSkiDiva.com, the premier internet community for women skiers. A graduate of Syracuse University, Wendy now lives in Vermont with her husband, Jon Clinch, author of "Finn: A Novel," "Kings of the Earth," and "The Thief of Auschwitz."
More about Wendy Clinch...

A Ski Diva Mystery (2 books)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1) Fade To White (The Ski Diva Mysteries Book 2) Double Black (The Ski Diva Mysteries) Double Black: A Ski Diva Mystery