Start by marking “The Wolves In The Walls” as Want to Read:
The Wolves In The Walls

The Wolves In The Walls

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  11,403 ratings  ·  703 reviews
Truth be told, Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean's picture book The Wolves in the Walls is terrifying. Sure, the story is fairytale-like and presented in a jaunty, casually nonsensical way, but it is absolutely the stuff of nightmares. Lucy hears wolves hustling, bustling, crinkling, and crackling in the walls of the old house where her family lives, but no one believes her. Her ...more
Published October 4th 2004 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolves In The Walls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wolves In The Walls

Airiz C
Am I the only one who thought this is a mishmash of H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Rats in the Walls” and the classic wolf-riddled admonitory bedtime stories like “Little Red Riding Hood” and “The Boy Who Cried Wolf”? The Wolves in the Walls, a collab work by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean, is yet another landmark tale that speaks directly to young readers while teaching a few lessons like open communication in the family.

SPOILER-ISH! Basically the story revolves around Lucy (aka the girl who cried wolf), w
Sh3lly ~Not all those who wander are lost, sweetie darling~
Cute and a little bit spooky kid's book by Neil Gaiman. The illustrations are done by the same guy who did the Sandman graphic novels, so it's got that familiar vibe. I guess you could call it a bit "moody and atmospheric and artsy." It's very Gaimanish. Points for creating the word "squossucks."
Haha, ok - the below review is one I wrote on in October of 2003. A review, I might add, that was found to be useful by 9 out of 9 Amazon members. Wow, I know, wow...

I recently read this book outloud to my cousin and he LOVED it! The book is so intuitive and allows so much expression and voice intonation. The characters are distinct individuals and I could instantly find their voice. The art is simply amazing - I've been a fan of McKean for years. I really don't think kids should be u
My kids really liked it. My eight year old son read it and thought it was good. He thought the illustrations were cool because the people had "spooky" eyes. I read it to my six year old son and my four year old daughter, and they liked it also. My little girl actually made me read it to her twice. Her only complaint was that the wolves were just regular old wolves and not werewolves. Go figure.
I think some younger kids might find the story a little bit scary, so be careful if your kids spook ea
This is a great story about parents not listening to their daughter and said daughter saving their home. It also has the walls! It comes with a CD of Gaiman reading the story aloud, which I haven't heard yet...but if the readings from The Ocean at the End of the Lane I heard him give last week are anything to go by, it should be excellent. It is just the kind of story that should be read aloud, too, full of the rhythms and repeated refrains that fit with oral story telling.

McKean's i
The Wolves in the Walls is a story about Lucy and her family, and how they have wolves living in their walls - or at least that's what Lucy thinks. She hears scratching and nibbling in the walls and is convinced that the noises are coming from the wolves. But everyone that Lucy tells (her mom, dad and brother,) dismisses her concerns with more believable explanations. Little do they know, Lucy isn't that far-fetched...

The illustrations of this book are magnificent and amazing, making the entire
Sara Williams

Soooo adorable! Once again, Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean combined their skills and created a lovely little illustrated book with a satisfatory plot. The illustrations are incredible, even though I'm not the biggest fan of this art style.
This is the story of a little girl who starts hearing Wolves inside the walls of her house, but no one seems to believe her, until the wolves invade therir home. Of course, parents never listen to their children.
I certainly enjoyed it.
I am always looking for unique, quality storybooks to keep on my shelves long after my children have children. I struggle to find something special in between "I love you Forever" and "Dumb Bunnies". Sometimes I think I find it when I see breathtaking illustrations, often to be disappointed when the words aren't in the same league. This book absolutely has both. If your children get scared easily- mine do not- then I might skip this one. It is written in fairytale prose and that may keep some ki ...more
Apr 06, 2010 Ronyell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 6 and up
Dave McKean’s illustrations are both haunting and hilarious at the same time. The wolves are portrayed as drawings made by a child, as it is implied on the front cover of the book. The wolves are also drawn in both a frightening and humorous way throughout the book. A great example of an image where the wolves display both terror and humor is in the image of the wolves being shown in creepy shadows as they are watching television and are laughing their heads off. Another advantage that this book ...more
A Summary/A Thoughtful Review:
This dark and suspenseful picture book, more appropriate for an older audience of upper elementary to middle school-aged readers, will appeal to those looking for an eerier side of fantasy. Neil Gaimen writes a thrilling story about a anixous, yet curious girl, Lucy, who believes there are wolves living in the walls of her house. As her father, mother, and brother continue to deny the reality of this situation, Lucy, on the other hand, continues to hear "sneaking,
We love this book! It is fast becoming a favorite in my house. Sooo much fun to read aloud. I can make my 5 year old jump every time and he loves it. The art is amazing but the writing really stands out as something extra special, especialy considering that this is a children's story. I rarely recommend buying a children's book outright considering that your library is readily available, children's books are quick reads, and kids attention spans are notoriously short but this book I can wholehea ...more
Farnoosh Brock
The genius of Neil Gaiman is an inspiration that keeps me going. If you want to write a story, write a short story first. Let it be short. Let it be brief. Let it be so succinct that someone can read it in 10 minutes. That's what The Wolves in the Wall is. It's a super-short extra-short short story. The story of Lucy who hears the wolves in the wall, and her utter certainty about them being wolves, not rats or mice or bats.

There is no character development, as there is just no time for it. Ther
Aug 22, 2008 Carly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neil Gaiman fans
Probably one of the only picture books I really, really like. Creepy as all heck, though. Come to think of it, that's probably why I like it.
If the wolves come out of the walls, it's all over.

The storyline of The Wolves in the Walls revolves around young Lucy and her family and their unwanted houseguests. It is set in and around Lucy’s home, prominently featuring night-time as is due for a scarier story. Simply reading the text would probably create a homier scene in our imagination, however, the illustrations have a definite ‘creep factor’, almost elevating the setting to thriller or horror status.

Lucy fears the scratching sounds

Originally posted HERE.

This is the story of Lucy, who could hear the sounds being made by wolves coming from within the walls of their house. She tries to tell her mother, father, and brother about the wolfish sounds, but they were all incredulous and refused to believe her. Only her little pig-puppet believed her. And then one night, something happened in Lucy's house... Can you guess what?

Wolves In The Walls is a children's story, yes, but I think it might be too dark or scary for the smalle
Linda Lipko
When Lucy hears hustling, bustling, crinkling and crackling noises inside the walls, she attempts to warn her mother, father and brother. Emphatically telling the family there are wolves in the wall, they do not believe her and say "Well, if the wolves come out in the walls, then it's all over."

Never explaining why it will be all over, the refuse to believe her. Her brother continues to play his video games; her mother continues to make jam and her father continues to play his tuba.

On the night

The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean is a brilliant, if not slightly disturbing and incredibly scary, picture book.

The illustrations are excellent and the cover (which looks slightly like the girl out of the horror film, ‘The Ring’) gives a good indication of the content. In short there are wolves in the walls of a house so the family living there have to take refuge when they come out. The family then hide in the walls and turn the tables by scaring the wolves away when they c
أين كانت الذئاب قبل أن تسكن في الصحاري وفي الجليد؟ بالطبع كانت تسكن داخل جدران منزل لوسي.. ولقد حذرت لوسي أهلها من الذئاب خلف الجدران، لكن أهلها لم يصدقوا بالطبع، حتى اليوم الذي خرجت فيه الذئاب.. والجميع يعلم أنه إذا خرجت الذئاب من الجدران فقد انتهى الأمر، أو هكذا كانوا يقولون.

أحمد الديب
مايو 2015
Judy Lindow
Dark, scary, and suspenseful. Both the story and the illustrations artfully, gleefully, walk you on the fence between creepy fantasy and dark possible reality. There are darling jokes, details and really scary, heinous looking wolves. These are not cuddly wolves.

The illustrations profoundly support this dream world with a variety of strategies. The darker, sepia pallet and dark wash, combined with the ink etchings, and photos (those eyes through the walls do a lot of damage!). The telling of det
Shawn Thrasher
To get to groovy creepy Gaiman world where The Wolves in the Walls, and most of his other books, seem to take place, it's similar to going to Never Never Land - take the second star to the right, but in this case straight on until midnight. Hovering over every Gaiman book I've read is that sense of the unearthly and macabre - the humor is dark, the palette is darker, the plot flavored with henbane and eye of newt. In the Real World, no one has heard about wolves living in the walls, and when our ...more
I was lead to this story mostly through the eye-catching, vivid style of Dave McKean’s illustration, after loving the graphic novel hybrid of Slog’s Dad. But this is not a case where the illustration supersedes the text – in fact far from it. The Wolves in the Walls is a great example of showing how text and illustration combine to deliver a collaborative storytelling experience, not merely there to support the other, but to interlink and fill in the blanks.

It is the main character of this story
The Wolves in the Walls tells the tale of Lucy and her family, who are driven out of their home by wolves who come out of the walls. Lucy tries to warn her family that there are wolves in the walls but no one believes her. There is a element of foreboding throughout the book as we are constantly reminded that if the wolves come out of the walls 'it's all over'. Lucy is proved right in the end and it is Lucy who saves the family home and rids it of the wolves.
The Wolves in the Walls challenges a
Robyn Schaefer
(Audio Version) My 3rd grade students, particularly the boys, thrive on “terrifying, creepy, and sinister.” So when I read reviews that described Neil Gaiman’s Wolves in the Walls as such, I was hooked. I listened to the audio without any picture support, and was surprised to find it, well, a little humorous. I felt a little guilty chuckling at a book that is marketed as dark and “the stuff of nightmares.” The 17-minute narration alone was just not enough to convey this. I visualized a lighter t ...more
Gaiman, Neil Wolves in the Wall pgs.56 HarperTrophy Language~G; Sexual Content~G; Violence~PG

Author Neil Gaiman has written a superb picture book for older readers, terrifying but terrific! Lucy is a young girl who begins to hear what she absolutely without a doubt knows are wolves in the walls of her house. Her mother doesn’t believe her. She tries to warn her father, but he brushes her off. Her younger brother thinks she has finally gone over the edge. Only her pig puppet believes her, until t
This is a very special, wonderful book. It is quite scary and creepy, but shows that facing up to fears has a positive outcome. A little girl called Lucy hears noises in the walls of her house, and is convinced that there are wolves living there. Her family dismisses her fears, and her father tells her that "If the wolves come out, then it is all over". One day, the wolves do indeed come out, and the family must run away, but Lucy is determined that they must face up to the badly-behaved wolves ...more
Tricia Douglas
After reading Gaiman's current best seller The Ocean at the End of the Lane and noticed that he had written many children's books, I picked up a copy of The Wolves in the Walls. I found that the fantasy in The Wolves in the Walls followed along with the fantasy in The Ocean at the End of the Lane. The reader follows along with the story and can't stop (in both books). I loved the creativity and rhythm of the words. The illustrations are amazing and add so much to the story. I think I've found an ...more
As ilustrações são algo assustadoras para um público mais infantil... não sei bem explicar porquê mas não me pareceram assim... como dizer... muito infantis. São um pouco creepys.

A história, tal como seria de prever num livro deste género, é bastante simples mas tem uns toques de humor que me apanharam desprevenida e de que gostei muito.

Concluindo, foi interessante conhecer este lado de Neil Gaiman.
Rhian Loxley
In Lucy's house, grown-ups and older brothers don't listen to little girls. This is a spooky and creepy story about strange noises and the underlying fear that one day "it will all be over". Lucy's predictions come true and she proves to be the wise one in the face of fear and homelessness in her attempt to be reunited with her pig-puppet.

This is a great imaginative story that has a reasonably happy if not somewhat disconcerting ending for Lucy can still hear funny (elephant sized) noises in the
Rebecca Collins
I decided to read this book after it was recommended by a friend who really enjoys reading Neil Gaiman books.

This book is quite dark, but I like the message of it as it relates to courage, and I also like the imaginative side to it! It would be great to use within the classroom because it would be interesting to see how children would respond to this and use it as a stimulus for their own writing!
  • The Rabbits