Start by marking “Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories

Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories

Illus. in full color. In this storybook, Scarry presents three humorous tales about happily resolved misunderstandings in the busy world of Lowly Worm and Huckle Cat.
Published October 12th 1984 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1982)

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories

Cars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard ScarryRichard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever by Richard ScarryRichard Scarry's Best First Book Ever! by Richard ScarryRichard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever by Richard ScarryWhat Do People Do All Day? by Richard Scarry
Best of Richard Scarry
9th out of 110 books — 2 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussSplat the Cat Takes the Cake by Rob ScottonA Fly Went by by Mike McClintockLittle Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik
Guided Reading Level J
13th out of 73 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Mr. John
Jan 30, 2014 Mr. John rated it liked it
Huckle wanted to do something nice for his mom, and be helpful. But, like a lot of kids, he was making more of a mess by helping her. His mom sends him to the store to by some groceries, but Huckle forgets his list.

It is so funny when Huckle hooks up with his friend Lowly, and they get all of the food mixed up. But, in the end it's coincidental how a mistake can be turned from negative to positive.

A Visit to Mr. Fix It:

Huckle buys his mom a Cuckoo - Clock for Mother's day. I enjoy the twist in
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: My kids loved the stories in this book. Even my 2-year old enjoyed it, although, I had to paraphrase near the end due to dwindling attention span issues! My 6-year-old is to the point where he can read this to his brothers, and my 4 year old loves to listen to it. Sometimes we read 1 story, sometimes 2, and sometimes all 3. There are 10-15 words per page, and they are simple and somewhat repetitive, with some longer words like "wonderful," "presents," and "whispered."

Big Kid
Sara Bland
Apr 20, 2015 Sara Bland rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
These are cute, short stories with nice illustrations. The style of having three little stories in one book is kind of fun and attractive, but the stories are almost too short to carry much of an impression. Each short story is about this cat who keeps getting himself into a little big of trouble and he always ends up getting himself out of it. This would be a good book for younger children who have a short attention span.
Joan
Sep 17, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it
Huckle Cat and Lowly Worm have been around a long time. There was even a PBS show when my kids were little. Sweet stories and illustrations. Hope they are still around when I have grandchildren someday.
Pam
Mar 27, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
There is something about Richard Scarry's illustrations, I have loved them all my life!! This is not the right version listed here, ours is a book club version, not a #3Level reader, but you get the idea.
Henry
May 19, 2015 Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book I have read it about 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 nonillion times (yes this is a number).
Maritza Mejia
Apr 14, 2016 Maritza Mejia rated it it was amazing
Humorous tales about happily resolved misunderstandings. Good lessons and great read-aloud.
Emily Woodard
Jul 16, 2015 Emily Woodard rated it it was amazing
100 Stars. I hope it's not cheating. I liked when Huckle made a mistake because it was silly!
Jun 24, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
This was a delightful read for all of my children (9 and under). They had some good chuckles.
Sophie
Jan 02, 2016 Sophie added it
At RMHC, I read this book to dad and I knew all the different food items.
Lea Beall
Oct 05, 2015 Lea Beall rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A cat and a worm team up to make a mess of things, but it all turns out ok. These are cute stories about how unplanned things, surprises and mistakes can turn out ok. It also has a lesson in not assuming bad things about something that you don't understand at first.
Justin
Oct 24, 2014 Justin rated it it was amazing
the friends part was so awesome. and the other stores to
Ryan
Jul 14, 2013 Sayaka Kiko rated it liked it
Time: 10 minutes
7 words: cat errand mistake clock present suprise-party best-friend
Questions:
1・ Have you ever ran on errands?
…… Yes,I have. When I was a elementary school student, I bought bread by myself.
2・ Do you have best friends?
……Yes, I met her when I was a kindergarten student.

This story is very funy, and there are a lot of good pictures.
I could enjoy reading this book.
Kathryn Alice
Jan 28, 2013 Kathryn Alice rated it it was amazing
This is pretty much our favorite bed-time story. Why? It is SO upbeat, innocent and sweet. It gives the message that even a mistake can turn out to be a good thing, which I adore. Our copy is well-worn :-)

I recommend any of the Richard Scarry Busytown books. We got them in light-weight paperback, so they've been around the world with us a few times now.
Rosa Cline
Jun 05, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This "I Can Read It All By Myself Beginner Book" is actually three smaller stories in one. All three stories something happens that makes Huckle Cat think is 'bad' but the mistake turns around to be 'good'. Good 'friend' stories too...as Huckle's best friend Lowly helps him in each story. If you like Huckle Cat stories you'll enjoy these.
Emerson and Theodore
Very nice entry into the world of short chapter stories by Richard Scarry. We've read the first story wherein huckleberry the cat and lowly botch the grocery list (potato chips instead of mommy's potatoes, ice cream instead of cream, apple pie instead of apples, etc).
Belise Michel
This book is about relationships with friends and family members. It helps build up vocabulary by relatable experiences in life. It also helps children to understand the value in each lesson.
Cheryl
May 24, 2009 Cheryl added it
Shelves: wrens-favorites
Wren loves this book. We read it at least once a day lately. Luckily I still kind of like Lowly worm. Gotta hand it to a hand-less critter who drives an apple car.
Sandi
Great illustrations and nice "lessons" make this fun read educational as well as adorable! The little stories can be read all at once or in several sittings.
Cece
Feb 14, 2010 Cece rated it liked it
This book has several stories. Huckle Cat helps with the grocery shopping, visits the fix-it-shop, and learns about being best friends.
Gordon
Nov 15, 2009 Gordon rated it it was amazing
The book is very easy. I learn that you have to be careful with your work: pay attention to your parents and not to mess up.
Dean graham
Mar 02, 2008 Dean graham rated it really liked it
It was about Huckle cat Lowly worm going shopping for Huckle's mother. I liked it because I could read it and it was funny.
Yarb
Jul 25, 2016 Yarb rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, kids-books
The incomparable Huckle Cat and his nematode sidekick apply their trademark hapless humour to three workaday scenarios.
Vanessa
Nice stories but to many referencing to junk food.
Gabriel Dubransky
This is a little bit better than Recess Mess!
Catarina
Three very funny stories for starting readers.
Amy Mccarty
8/18/13
..1/8/14 MD
Cws
May 18, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Sca
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Cat Traps (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1)
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Dinosaur Days
  • The Bears' Vacation
  • Mittens
  • Snug House, Bug House (Bright & Early Books)
  • Arthur's Reading Race
  • Biscuit's Big Friend
  • Poppleton And Friends (Poppleton)
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books(R))
  • The Fox in the Dark
  • Baa-Choo!
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Pete the Cat's Train Trip
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • The Very Bad Bunny (Beginner Books)