Start by marking “Bio-Weapon (Doom Star, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bio-Weapon (Doom Star, #2)

Bio-Weapon (Doom Star #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  539 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Humans are the warheads in a lethal contest of missiles vs. long-range beams in deep space.

The desperate Homo sapiens of Earth launch their experimental beamship. It’s ultra-tracking and breakthrough technology allows it to out-range the Doom Stars.

The Highborn want that ship. They send swarms of missiles, knowing few will reach it. In the nosecones are their secret weap
Published June 18th 2010 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Bio-Weapon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bio-Weapon

Kevin
I'm going to struggle through this series. I'm having trouble both with the story and with the narration. The conversations between characters are immature, almost like Gooneys in Space. The story (I'm just starting book 4) reminds me of the drama experienced in a typical high school with the brains, brawns, jocks, druggies, and beautiful people all saying nah nah nah sticks and stones to each other. Even the science in the fiction is absurd in many cases.

As for narration, unfortunately Ely Mil
Perry Reed
The Doom Star series of books are one of the best sci-fi book series I've read in a very long time!

They're set in the distant future where Earth and most of the inner planets in our solar system are ruled by the communist Social Unity, who brutally repress their subjects. The main character, Martin Kluge, starts the first book by escaping the Sun Works Factory, an enormous space station ringing Mercury. He flees to Earth where most people live in giant cities buried miles deep into the ground.

As
Mike Nemeth
Vaughn Heppner's second outing in his "Doom Star" series tones down the organized warfare and increases the personal stakes for hero Marten Kluge. In "Bio-Weapon," Marten's life just got worse. Now his superiors want to geld him and his successful soldiers after surviving a grueling battle in the first novel in the series. Marten's dilemma is that life sucks from every angle. He hates the Social Unity system that has earth in its political talons. The Highborn super-soldiers created by the Socia ...more
Eve Mcfadden
This is a great follow-up to the first book, Star Soldier. Marten Kluge is caught in a web not of his own making, trying to stay alive as forces gather on various sides. Marten is just a man, but he exerts himself to be more than that -- to be a free man.

I think the only thing I'm not crazy about in this series is the lack of strong, sympathetic women characters. That, of course, is something that has been an sf problem (and probably a general literature problem) for a long time. There are three
Campbell, c
high borns and shock troopers.

Shock trooper Marten and others are launched aboard a missile laden bomb of a vessel to intercept the Social Unity's battleship Bangladesh. Their mission is to capture or destroy it before it finishes its mission. Soon members of the troopers come to a split over how to deal with their future. Later - - - Read to find out. Another hard to put down book.
Doc
I have very mixed feelings about this whole series.

The author is clearly not polished. Much of the writing is quite good, then I'll come across an incorrect word usage (verses vs. versus, used repeatedly), awkward sentence construction, or just something a bit weird that a good editor would correct. Which leads me to believe that these are self-edited and self-published.

The overall plot is interesting, although it has some holes. The characters are a bit shallow/cardboard, as well.

And that said,
Sonja
Marten is still alive!!!

More in the saga that. Is the life of Marten, former shock trooper... What awaits him after his lateslife altering adventure. I've already downloaded the next book in this series so I can find out.
Chris Coneybeer
Good space warfare book. The first half is little slow with all the day-to-day life of Martin. But you get to experience what he is living through and his life since becoming a preman for the HighBorn.

Second half of the book is great once they get into the battle with the great laser platform from earth. Looking forward to book three. Can Martin make his way back to Earth. And what will happen with the SU.
Gabriel
The second instance of the Star Soldier series has the same problems the first one (Star Soldier) presented: repeated passages, disposable characters, and clichés. Even then, it's an entertaining read if you can look past its flaws.
Mark Umstead
Great stories but the author seriously needs an editor. Spelling, grammar and punctuation errors plus poor sentence structure and repeat sentences fill the pages of these books.
Patrick
Jesus christ, have the third book ready too! This episode really hit its stride with the shock troopers. Fun read, and engrossing.
Gordanereemannotteebro
I loved this book , though I wish they focused more action , and less on characters
Long
This is an interesting take on the future. I really enjoyed reading it.
Andries Burger
Follow up to star soldier... still reading... but gripping as it is.
John Morris
great development in the story action packed
Tom
Very good scifi book. Can only recommend it.
Dave
the series gets better with each book
Wai Kong
Wai Kong marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Jody
Jody is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
Joseph McIsaac
Joseph McIsaac is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Salvatore
Salvatore marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
  • Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium Series, #2)
  • Run
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Immune (The Rho Agenda, #2)
  • The Cost of Betrayal (The Half-Orcs, #2)
  • Demon's Sacrifice (Annihilation, #6)
  • The Works of Jules Verne
  • The Expanse (The Frontiers Saga #7)
  • The Cost of Victory
You can visit Vaughn at www.vaughnheppner.com

I was born in Canada and remember as a small boy crawling in my snow-fort. I closed my eyes, and when I tried to open them, they were frozen shut. I didn't panic, but wiped away the ice crystals, unglued my eyes and kept on building my tunnel. Those were great days! I moved to Central California before seventh grade and couldn't believe I lived in a lan
More about Vaughn Heppner...

Doom Star (6 books)
  • Star Soldier (Doom Star, #1)
  • Battle Pod (Doom Star, #3)
  • Cyborg Assault (Doom Star, #4)
  • Planet Wrecker (Doom Star, #5)
  • Star Fortress (Doom Star, #6)
The Lost Starship (The Lost Starship, #1) The Lost Command (Lost Starship, #2) Assault Troopers (Extinction Wars, #1) Star Soldier (Doom Star, #1) Star Viking (Extinction Wars, #3)