Start by marking “The Tomb” as Want to Read:
The Tomb

The Tomb

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"The Tomb" is a short story by H. P. Lovecraft written in June 1917 and first published in the March 1922 issue of The Vagrant. It is the first work of fiction that Lovecraft wrote as an adult.

"The Tomb" tells of Jervas Dudley, a self-confessed day-dreamer. While still a child, he discovers the entrance to a mausoleum, belonging to the family Hyde, whose nearby family mans...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 1917)

To ask other readers questions about The Tomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tomb

Scott
“In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative”
"The Tomb" is a short story of Jervas Dudley, an admitted day-dreamer, who’s opening lines immediately lay open the uncertainty about the tale and the narrator himself. Jervas spent his youth and adolescence in ancient and little known books, and exploring the fields and groves near his ancestral h...more
Fabio Binder
Magdalena
Bizzare and creepy in the manner I completely adore.
Matt
Immense!
Antonio
This one was one of the better ones. The protagonist - a patient at an aslyum - weaves an ambiguous story set on the planes of dreams, but extended to reality.

The life surrounding him not being of much interest, Jervas became a man of books and fantastical tales. it's not clear if his ever-growing mental instability, and unbounded imagination are the manufacturers of a complete fabrication; or simply a dash of spice to an idle and unassuming walk through a mausoleum.
Colleen
Very much in the style of Poe. Hardly surprising since they were nearly contemporaries. Madness, or at least the thought of going mad, scares everyone. Jervas doesn't even see it coming, does he? It happens so gradually over so long that it comes as a shock when he is locked up. And that's what I love about this 8-page story. Even knowing from the first paragraph that he's mad, I was still surprised by how it happened.
Shaina Neal
I've been digging into some gothic romance and this is the first in the series. I enjoyed the short story, but interestingly enough, I enjoyed the introduction by Guierrmo Del Torro even more hahaha. Anyway, I loved the onset of his insanity. It was like a slow burn. I equate his insanity with getting drunk; all is well and then BAM you're face down praying to the toilet God's...or in his case, institutionalised!
Esteban Figueroa
Deals with insanity and that is, to me, one of the most terrifying things in life. Great and suspenseful story that everyone should read.
Megan
Don't understand all the 3- and 4-star reviews. I loved this short story! It has many elements of a great, creepy short story. Insanity, questions of reality, death, insecurity and so much more. This was well-written and fun to read.

Makes you question if insanity is more fun than reality. If it doesn't hurt anyone else, is it really wrong living a private fantasy?
Samantha Williams
Listened to it on Stuff You Should Know podcast.
Pratyush Raman
flavour to how H P Lovecraft writes.
Ashley
Crazy guy want to be dead...that's it.
Godzilla
I've downloaded all of HP Lovecraft's work for 77p, at that price why wouldn't I?

I must confess to having never read any of his work before, so I started at the beginning, and judging by this early effort I am going to be rewarded well.

It's a creepy, well laid out tale, yes, it's predictable, but for an early effort I can't fault it.

The character was engrossing and the tale of obsession and consequence pulled me in quickly.

Next please Mr Lovecraft...
M Pereira
This is a very strange story, not in a bad way. I just wasn't able to get into it when I was reading it, but that is more my fault than that of the author. What I do like about the story however, is how the protagonist slowly and evidently goes more insane. This is a fascinating aspect of Lovecraft's work, quite similar to the character in Dagon or Call of Cthulu: getting into the head of a person who turns obsessive
Scott Harris
Lovecraft's short story about a younger boy who finds himself caught up into a dream like reality in which he enters the tomb of his ancestors and through series of events becomes convinced that he has been revealed his own burial place. Lovecraft, as always, has fun with the circumstances but this particular story struck me as being the least interesting of the pieces I have read recently.
Ben Bromley
The Tomb is one of the first short stories that HP Lovecraft wrote, and it sets the table for many of his later themes. There is death, insanity, and old religions (Thankfully, no trace of Lovecraft's infamous racism). I'm currently reading a compendium of HP Lovecraft stories, and am looking forward to continuing to delve into his works.
namekuseijin
An early Lovecraft tale that already is as evocative and subtle as the master's best. I loved it for it subtlety, no weird monsters making a show.

I've not read the kindle edition, but from an ePub containing most of his works already in the public domain.
Ken
As a rather morbid, solitary child, Jervas Dudley discovers a long forgotten family tomb in the forest near his home. He develops an unhealthy life-long obsession with the tomb that results in his eventual confinement in an institution.

5 STARS
Andrew
Nov 04, 2012 Andrew added it
This one even creeped me out, and left me thinking about it long after it was finished.

I like Lovecraft's way of leaving the reader guessing as to what is and is not real.
Justin Thickston
First story of his that I was lucky enough to read. Not a mature writer here at all but the seeds of greatness are evident.
Ramiro  Casas
My first Lovecraft. I believe this was one of his first stories. I'm curious to see what else he has to offer.
Anuradha
Kind of predictable but still a good read
International Cat Lady
An excellently creepy short story!
Alejandro
Pura calidá Lovecraft
Shahzarin Khan
Shahzarin Khan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
  • Bubba Ho-Tep
  • الغرفة الحمراء
  • The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1)
  • Biohazard
  • Countdown
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Peabody-Ozymandias Traveling Circus and Oddity Emporium
  • Trolley No. 1852
  • Freeze
  • Harry Keogh and Other Weird Heroes (Necroscope, #14)
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Damned Highway
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eighteenth Annual Collection
  • The Crew
  • Wild Child
  • Novels and Stories
  • The Sinister Mr. Corpse
  • Sea Sick
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a...more
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu