Start by marking “Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied” as Want to Read:
Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied

Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  526 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In "Modern C++ Design", Andrei Alexandrescu opens new vistas for C++ programmers. Displaying extraordinary creativity and programming virtuosity, Alexandrescu offers a cutting-edge approach to design that unites design patterns, generic programming, and C++, enabling programmers to achieve expressive, flexible, and highly reusable code. This book introduces the concept of ...more
Published February 23rd 2001 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Modern C++ Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern C++ Design

Jacobo
Aug 01, 2012 Jacobo rated it it was amazing
Este libro es sencillamente alucinante, de principio a fin. Es un libro para admirar al autor por la librería increíble que construye, poco a poco, capítulo tras capítulo, usando unas técnicas que van mucho más allá de la programación en C++ que muchos estamos acostumbrados a ver, usando metaprogramación para crear, en unas pocas líneas código, diseños que serían mucho menos efectivos o prácticamente imposibles de mantener de ninguna otra manera.

Doblemente alucinante al pensar que el libro está
Tijn
Jul 16, 2015 Tijn added it
Read it front to cover, now it's time to read it again -- so much good stuff!

Most of the development I've done last decade has been in C++, so I thought I'd seen it all. Couldn't have been further from the truth - wow; there's so much more to learn! Imagine all this was out there while I was using Boost (but never dared to look inside).

Alexandrescu is a great narrator, so even though he treats some deep and technical stuff he never loses his reader and frequently succeeds in making his tricks lo
Haitham Gad
May 20, 2015 Haitham Gad rated it really liked it
Gives a lot of insights about the various aspects and tradeoffs pertaining to the implementation of generic design patterns in C++, as well as the motivation behind each pattern. Policy-based design, described and utilized abundantly in the book, is also a powerful design technique for building generic components. The book is a bit outdated though. For example, Typelists, the vehicle he uses to build many of his patterns, is no longer needed given the introduction of variadic templates in C++11.
Alasdair Craig
Apr 10, 2015 Alasdair Craig rated it it was ok
I don't know who the intended audience is. Don't read this if you think it's about templates, it's more about making templates do clever tricks for you. And by clever I mean cryptic, obfuscated and questionable in their usefulness in the real world. I kept on thinking that the next chapter would be more relevant to me, but three quarters of the way through just gave up. I see no relevance to my work and personal programming.
Zahir
Aug 04, 2015 Zahir rated it it was amazing
Needs great understanding of template machinary, but this is one of C++ In-Depth Series, and this book is nailing it. Provides neat and modern implementations for some GoF patterns in C++.
I'd also like to see some C++11 additions or modifications for the implementations too.
Artem Komisarenko
Must read для advanced плюсовика. Хоча з поширенням boost і виходом C++11 інформація в книжці трохи застаріла, але описані методики ще працюють, біль того, частина них стала частиною тих самих boost та C++11
Manuel Rodriques
Jul 07, 2010 Manuel Rodriques rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: advanced C++ programmers
Shelves: tech
If it was for the fact that many of the topics covered in the book were so advanced that they are not applicable to day to day software development, I'd give the book 5 stars.

I was introduced to generic programming and Andrei's book at a presentation by Martin Fowler. I have to share Fowler's view that Alexandrescu is at a level beyond most of us. However, even though I don't find the book applicable to my day to day job, I do find it stimulating and revisit it from time to time.
Sergey Zubov
Nov 19, 2013 Sergey Zubov rated it it was amazing
Если вы знаете как работают механизмы обобщенного программирования в языке C++, но не знаете как их применить, то эта книга для вас. Не смотря на то, что с момента издания прошло уже больше десятилетия и некоторые техники описанные в книге утратили свою актуальность с выходом C++11, основные принципы обобщенного программирования остаются прежними, поэтому книга актуальна и по сей день. Главное относится к изложенным идеям прагматично.
Jean-Luc
Jul 12, 2008 Jean-Luc rated it liked it
Not the type of book you'd read w/out at least a few other C++ programming and software design books under your belt... Not to mention a couple years in the field to build up some experience. Still, if you've ever used the boost libraries, the first 4 chapters will really help you understand the design philosophies.
Manuel Pöter
Mar 26, 2014 Manuel Pöter rated it really liked it
While some of his concepts are now a little outdated with C++11 (in the sense that it can now be implemented much easier) this is still a great book the shows the power and possibilities of C++ template meta-programming.
Andreas
Sep 23, 2009 Andreas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Advanced C++ programmers
Shelves: programming
Great book. It takes some time to understand the concepts but it's this kind of meta-programming that will save you later a lot of work.

Highly recommended for every advanced C++ programmer. This is not a book for beginners.
Chandra Sekhar  Katuri
Jul 21, 2011 Chandra Sekhar Katuri rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Advanced book .. initially when i tried to read in coll days i had tough time understanding. If you are really experienced programmer you can understand easily.
Danien
Mar 11, 2010 Danien rated it liked it
Some good ideas and discussions, like policy-based design, but some overcomplicated ones like type lists.
Joshua
Feb 25, 2014 Joshua rated it it was ok
Lots of clever tricks that would be terribly difficult to use and maintain in any medium sized code base.
Eugene Popovych
Feb 11, 2015 Eugene Popovych rated it it was amazing
Outdated a little bit, but still a classic. Sheds light on many modern C++ features.
Peter
Jun 11, 2013 Peter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Probably the most important C++ book you can read.
Philippe Guglielmetti
Jan 07, 2012 Philippe Guglielmetti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informatique
The only computer science book I read 3 times.
Laurent M.
Very good book on modern C++
Ankur Singh
Ankur Singh marked it as to-read
Yuri
Yuri marked it as to-read
Nariman
Nariman marked it as to-read
Jasu
Jasu rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
HBooks91
HBooks91 marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Andrei Avram
Andrei Avram marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Gary Ritchie
Gary Ritchie marked it as to-read
Guy Dumais
Guy Dumais rated it really liked it
David
David rated it it was amazing
Max Taldykin
Max Taldykin rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Johnson
Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
  • Hacker's Delight
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • C++ Primer

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »