Start by marking “Tescopoly” as Want to Read:
Tescopoly

Tescopoly

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  14 reviews
You can shop anywhere you like - as long as it's Tesco. The inexorable rise of supermarkets is big news but have we really taken on board what this means for our daily lives, and those of our children? In this searing analysis Andrew Simms, director of the acclaimed think-and-do-tank the New Economics Foundation and the person responsible for introducing 'Clone Towns' into ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Tescopoly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tescopoly

Andy Wilkins
I think I would have preferred to have read this as an extended article as it contains a lot of repetition and information that I'd read elsewhere; the author seemed to labour the point a bit too much. However, the book certainly had an impact on me and will definitely change the way I think about where I do my shopping.

Though I had thought about it previously, it really hit home to me how much Vancouver, BC is a "clone town" with its infamous 3 Starbucks on one intersection. What is the point?
Evelyn
Given Tesco's recent revelations of overinflated profits and hideous accounting, it seemed appropriate to revisit Andrew Simms' damning analysis of this superpower business. I first read Tescopoly when it was released back in 2007 and it made me rethink a lot of my consumer decisions, many of which I still stick by today. Simms does a fantastic job of picking apart the finer details of how Tesco became so big and how it used its arsenal of bullying and super-buyer tactics to dominate cities and ...more
Stuart Hill
Whilst this book had its moments it was too rambling and unfocused to provide a useful overview of Tesco. Much of the material covers the impacts of globalisation, large corporations and climate change, information which will be familiar to those who have read any other literature on these subjects. Many books have discussed these topics in a more thorough and coherent fashion which made this account feel slightly redundant.

Simms does make some interesting points about Tesco's cavalier attitude
Ann
Too melodramatic to be taken seriously, which unfortunately diminishes the point
Tyne
Mar 08, 2008 Tyne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Laurie Burkland
Even if you don't shop at Tesco, or more importantly if you DO.... you ought to read this book and realise just what is happening to the British way of life - draining the life out of town centres and obtaining more and more influence over local planning procedures and town councils.

If you read this book it will (or should!) change your life and the way you shop. Fight back against the greedy corporate giants and let's get some individualism back into our towns.

Watch out America, Tesco intends t
Ian
Aug 15, 2014 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: green
An excellent expose of the supermarkets, and Tesco in general. How they've bought up the land and killed of the opposition. A real eye opener.
Gemma Williams
A readable and wide reaching look at the evil that is Tesco,which I will be doing my best to avoid even more than I have previously.
Eleanor Black
Read this a while ago, it's very much an eye opener into the aggressive business tactics of the major supermarket chains.
Wilma Burns
This makes you think about whether shopping in Tesco is a good idea - does one really want to add to their profits?
Alex
Jul 10, 2007 Alex added it
Yeah, stick it to the man! Not one for the corporate whores out there. Hang on, all my friends ARE corporate whores.
Nicci
an insight into tesco's domination.
an arrogant brand.
Lynne
A wee bit wordy in places, but I've never shopped in a Tesco since :/
Fiona Mosgrove
everyone should read this book.
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Grace Davies
Grace Davies marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Loke Bertilsson
Loke Bertilsson marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Bec Gabrielle
Bec Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Vic
Vic marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • Not On The Label
  • Shopped: The Shocking Power Of British Supermarkets
  • Cruel Britannia
  • You Can't Read This Book: Censorship in an Age of Freedom
  • The Leaderless Revolution: How Ordinary People Will Take Power and Change Politics in the 21st Century
  • The Silenced Majority: Stories of Uprisings, Occupations, Resistance, and Hope
  • Why Do People Hate America?
  • Occupy (Occupied Media Pamphlet Series)
  • How To Live Off-Grid - Journeys Outside The System
  • Permaculture in a Nutshell
  • Back from the Brink: 1000 Days at Number 11
  • A Brief History of the Human Race
  • Radical Simplicity
Andrew Simms is policy director of nef (the new economics foundation) the award-winning UK think-and-do tank, and head of nef's Climate Change Programme. His latest book is Ecological Debt: Global Warming and the Wealth of Nations published by Pluto Press.
More about Andrew Simms...
Do Good Lives Have To Cost The Earth? Cancel the Apocalypse: The New Path to Prosperity Ecological Debt: Global Warning and the Wealth of Nations The Great Transition: a tale of how it turned out right 21 Hours