Start by marking “Invasion of the Road Weenies: and Other Warped and Creepy Tales” as Want to Read:
Invasion of the Road Weenies: and Other Warped and Creepy Tales

Invasion of the Road Weenies: and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Watch out for the road weenies!
A town is overrun by road weenies--a.k.a. joggers--who never smile. A girl thinks she's too old for Halloween...until she finds a special pair of gloves. A boy takes a shortcut to an unexpected place. A mummy takes his revenge, one little piece at a time.... Welcome to the weird and wacky world of award-winning storyteller and master of the m
Published August 29th 2006 by Starscape (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Invasion of the Road Weenies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion of the Road Weenies

Kris
This is a good source of creepy short stories for the upper elementary crowd. A handful of them are really skin-crawling, like the kid being chased through the cemetary by a bad guy who says, "Run, run, run! It makes it more fun!" *shudder* But there are many I can read aloud to a class, like the big sister complaining about how her three-year old brother found the genie bottle before she could, and now he's wishing for weird things like peas when she would've been smart and wished for a gazilli ...more
Emmett
It has many short stories that are either scary or gross. It is not horribly scary olny a little bit. And as far as gross goes if you dont like bugs, and thinking there crawling up your leg reader discresion is advised.
I think this is a good book. but not amazing theres olny about twenty so it will olny entertain for a little while. But it is not scary for me. But who knows it might be scary for you.
I recomend it for people 5-8 for it to be scary. I think it might scare a 5 year old if he was
Elissa Hoole
My sixth grade students and I were introduced to David Lubar in the Guys Read: Funny Business anthology, and I picked this collection up this summer hoping to be able to use it in my teaching with the same group of kids--struggling but not necessarily reluctant readers. The stories in this book are perfect--a great readaloud or independent reading length, and almost every one begins with a great "What if?" concept...perfect fodder for writing prompts, high-level questioning, and overall just fun ...more
Wyattmclaughlin
The book Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales by David Lubar was an okay book. It had a lot of tales that were creepy and funny. The book didn't have a main character but for every tale, there was a person that was doing the most of the talking.

There is really much to tell about the bok because like I said, the book had 35 different tales but I'll tell you a little bit of them. There was a girl who used to hate halloween because of one year that these bullies yelled at
Jessica Camara
This book has some great creepy (and/or strange) stories, "The Dead Won't Hurt You", "A Tiny Little Piece", "The Shortcut", "Numbskull" and "Mr. Lambini's Haunted House" to name a few - I've read some of them to 6th grade classes around Halloween - very fun! It's tough to find good, creepy, not overly long stories to share with classes in a class period, but these work really well. Glad I stumbled upon it, am planning on checking out some of the others in the series as well.
Caleb Lattin
This book was ok, it had lots of description and imagery. The tales in this book were a little creepy and pretty warped. The thing I didn't like was that it didn't have very much of a thesis. It was also pretty jumpy, and by jumpy in mean we were talking about joggers who never smile, and them we go into talking about a barn. This book was mainly just to entertain you. One story was about when a girl takes a piece of bandage off a manny in a museum. Then she almost put it back because if everyon ...more
Madeline
Now this book scared the bee-jeebies out of me! Caution,this book is full of creepy, scary, sad, monster and mystery filled stories that attack when you aren't looking. Just looking at the title and seeing the cover you hear alarms going off in your head. If you cant live without a good creepy tale, get this IMMEDIATLY!!!Be warned, cause the invasion starts at a bookstore near you!
Melissa
this book is so mcuh fun. david and i had so much fun reading it. the stories were a good length to read together before bed. they were also very creative in the variations from story to story. i only gave it 4 stars because it has some of the same stories as the lawn weenies.
Heather
I only read two stories out of this book. I agree that they were creative.

However, I was reading this to my eight-year old third grader and was not happy about the content. Her teacher had read some of them to her in school, so I had assumed they wouldn't be that creepy but they were.

I summarized the two stories that I read to a friend to make sure I wasn't overreacting.

Then I told my daughter we weren't going to read anymore of those stories at home. She actually seemed thankful and admitted
Jaycie
This book is soooo scary it scared the pants of me well not for real right when you see the front cover you know it's a scary book so be warned and don't say I didn't tell you :|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
James
Great book it filled with many short stories that will make you just want to read the next one! I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read it!
Mrs Bond
Excellent collection of short stores that are very suitable for class read-aloud. Stories range from silly to creepy. Especially enjoyed:
'Shaping the Fog' - children sneak out to play in the fog, making playthings and creatures. All is fun until the littlest one attempts to make one like himself.
'Wandering Stu' - deals with selfishness and introduces futility of bureaucracy.
'Lines' - On the way to a school assembly a girl decides to walk next to her friend instead of a single file line. Great ju
Raevyn ~WICKED is good...right?~
The stories were great, but the title and cover don't do the book justice.
Mallory
LET'S BE CLEAR I READ THIS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL NOT NOW.
Sabaa
ehehehehehehehehehehehehe
jiawei Ong
If you think about it, writing a horror book about one story might be difficult but writing a horror book with like 30 different story books is even more diffucult, because you need to think of more problems, endings, and monsters. "The Dead Won't Hurt You," about a kid who walks around a grave to see if anything hurts you, was one of my favorite stories. "Buzz off," about a boy who had bees all over him, was another one of my favorite tales. David Lubar's mind is filled with a lot of horror sto ...more
Simon711
There many short stories all that are creepy. They creeped me out made me laugh and creeped me out again. Most of the time the are extremely funny. They took classics and warped them into funnies. When I first saw this book I thought it would be one long funny book. When I learned it was short stories I thought it wouldn't be as funny, But it was extra funny.
Tyler R
I didn't care for this book at all. I didn't think it would be that good but I told someone I would read whatever book they wanted me to. So I did read it I didn't enjoy it but at least it's done. This book has short little stories about dumb stuff, like people being changed into aliens, and worms taking over someone and taking them into the ground.
Noah
This book is about a bunch of diffrent stories that are creepy and wered and turn your stomach.

I liked this book it was good read but it wasnt the best book that i have ever read but i still really liked it.

I would reccomend this book to people who like weried and creepy tales.
Lara
Reminiscent of Ray Bradbury or Stephen King, these silly, kinda creepy tales will delight and thrill you. And freak you out. Seriously, these stories take the strangest turns that you's never in a million years consider. Great for discussion and writing projects!
Amber
I thought "Invasion of the Road Weenies" was a very good book. I have a very warped mind, and some of these stories brought me to my limit! I couldn't belive how much I got into this book.
Sean W.
The subtitle reads "and Other Warped and Creepy Tales". Man, are these warped! Not too creepy, but I can't think of one that wasn't weird or demented in one way or another.
Lisa
Amazing short story author. Stories range from horror, to sci fi, to fantasy, and more, and every one is a winner. Don't judge this book by its cover or title.
Anderson
Hao Wei:This had many short stories and they were creepy or interesting.It's a little like "In the Land of the Lawn Weenies" but the stories were more scary.
Aryanna
this book along with it's other books in the series, can freak you out and yet make you laugh like crazy. it is a really good read.
Johnny Bennett
It's a Weenies book! Some are great. Some are mediocre. And some lack taste. But as a collection of short stories they are pretty good.
Aubrey
Good book, they are scary stories but not really scary... just something to keep you entertained (seriously they aren't scary)
Cole
This book is creepy and weird.I dont recommend this book to anybody but if you like weird books this is for you
Austin
The book I read was very fun to read but also got me Lost in the story. If you like a funny book this would be for you
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Short stories book [s] 7 36 Jun 03, 2014 11:38AM
Teen Critic: _____________of the __________Weenies 1 8 Sep 24, 2013 01:56PM
  • Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: The Riot Brothers Tell All
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • One Beastly Beast: Two Aliens, Three Inventors, Four Fantastic Tales
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • Nightmare at the Book Fair
  • Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia
  • Captain Raptor and the Moon Mystery
  • Eager
  • Con-Fidence
  • December Secrets
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Zombie Butts From Uranus
  • The Pinstripe Ghost (Ballpark Mysteries #2)
  • Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
  • Nerd Camp
  • The Class Trip from the Black Lagoon
20936
David Lubar created a sensation with his debut novel, Hidden Talents, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults. Thousands of kids and educators across the country have voted Hidden Talents onto over twenty state lists. David is also the author of True Talents, the sequel to Hidden Talents; Flip, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and a VOYA Best Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror selection; several short ...more
More about David Lubar...

Weenies series (7 books)
  • In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #1)
  • The Curse of the Campfire Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series #3)
  • The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #4)
  • Attack of the Vampire Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #5)
  • Beware the Ninja Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #6)
  • Wipeout of the Wireless Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #7)
Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie Hidden Talents (Talents, #1) Punished! True Talents (Talents, #2) Dunk