Start by marking “This Calder Range (Calder Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
This Calder Range (Calder Saga #1)

This Calder Range (Calder Saga #1)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,232 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Chase Benteen Calder was bound to wrest a fortune from Montana land, where the whisper of riches swept across a sea of buffalo grass. With Lorna at his side, a woman who took the tough ways of the land as her destiny, he would breathe life into his dream. Through the treacherous Texas prairie, the perils of Indian country, and a bustling Dodge City, they forged their way t ...more
Published January 2nd 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about This Calder Range, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Calder Range

Shari Kay
Feb 27, 2017 Shari Kay marked it as skip-it
Series ruined in subsequent books. I'd be pissed. (view spoiler) Author not for me...at all.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... <--book 4
Mary
Jan 11, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Started reading this series in the 80's. I think the last one was published just a couple of years ago. I've enjoyed them all, especially the early ones set in the old west. The newer one's are contemporary. It follows a large ranch owning family through the generations.
Ginny
Jan 21, 2009 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2005, borrowed
Hooked me on the series. I had read a few of her Harliquin romances, this is definitely a step up.
Wizzy
Feb 22, 2017 Wizzy rated it it was amazing
Once I got out of high school, I ceased to be interested in "romance" novels, but this series is excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the growth of Benteen and Lorna as they pioneered on a cattle drive from Texas to Montana in 1878 to built their ranch. Lorna began as a soft, wimpering, somewhat spoiled city girl and became a strong independent woman along the way. Benteen grew to trust Lorna as she finally was able to prove to him she would not run out on him as his mother did when he was a young ch ...more
Boong
Sep 30, 2013 Boong rated it really liked it
สนุกกวาทีคิด

ตอนแรกจะไมอานเพราะไมชอบแนวคาวบอย และทีสำคัญ...หลังๆนีไมคอยปลืมนางเอกทีเปนนางเอกนางเอก
(คิดเอาเองจากปีทีแตงและชวงทีเหตุการณในเรืองเกิดขึน)

แตสิงทีคิดกไมเกิดขึนสักอยาง

นางเอกเขมแขงและมีพลังอยางประหลาด แมจะทำตัวตามวิสัยของผูหญิงสมัยนันแทบจะเปะๆ
ลอนาเปนนางเอกทีเปิดตัวมาตามฉบับพิมพนิยมของสาวสังคมสมัยนัน
มีการศึกษา มารยาทงาม จิตใจดี
แตพอสิงรอบๆตัวเปลียนไป ลอนากสามารถปรับตัวได...แตกไมไดหมายความวาจะเปนลอนาทีกากันนะ
กยังเปนลอนาทีมารยาท เปนผูหญิงพิมพนิยม...แตเพิมความแกรงและใจเดดเขาไป
อานๆไปแลว ชอบ เธ
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
This a tale of Old West for when cattle was king of the range. Chase Benteen Calder didn't share his father, Seth Calder's dreams that his wayward wife would return to them ever. Benteen's dreams included a big ranch in Montana's open range and new bride in Lorna Pearce. Lorna didn't understand why it was so important to leave Texas for a life in Montana. Benteen was determined not make his father's mistakes with Judd Boston. Lorna learns that she must be stronger than she ever imained she neede ...more
joy in wonderland
Jan 19, 2009 joy in wonderland rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-novels
Adriana Fogaça
Jul 04, 2013 Adriana Fogaça rated it it was amazing
Os Calder 01
A Terra dos Calder
Janet Dailey

Benteen é um dos homens mais interessante e complicado, da literatura romântica universal. Um homem duro, daqueles que não existem mais, pq sua essência era feita daquele material comum aos desbravadores. Homens que suportam situações extremas e tragédias, que o homem moderno não conseguiria assimilar.

E o que é essa Lorna, que mulher!!! Apesar de muito jovem, que coragem!!! O mais lindo, gratificante e digno foi observar o amadurecimento desta menina mul
Lori Hamilton
This isn't the type of book I usually read. Normally, I like a book that is a little more heated. But I thought I would try it out because I like reading series books that build from one book to the next book. It keeps the story going for a long time. I must admit, I was impressed. It was a really good story with a lot of emotion and tragedy. I am excited to read the next book in the series to find out what happens to Benteen and Lorna and their son. Seeing how there is like 11 books in the seri ...more
Iris
Aug 19, 2016 Iris rated it liked it
Ik ben dol op boeken die je in vakantiehuisjes vindt. Deze vakantie op Schiermonnikoog vond en las ik de eerste drie en halve ( net niet uitgekregen!) delen van de Calder saga. Woest romantische cowboy romantiek. Ik heb er van gesmuld, onderhoudend geschreven en het verveelde me nooit.Al wandelend door de schiermonnikoogse kwelders moest ik dan weer aan de grasvlaktes van Montana denken. De kwelders waren toch ook echt interessant hoor, zeer aan te raden zelfs.
Lee
Nov 27, 2007 Lee rated it really liked it
Chase Benteen Calder leaves Texas where he has known nothing but pain in his life. His destination is Montana where the word is he'll find a sea of buffalo grass, perfect for the herd of maverick steer he's driving north. Newly married, he and his wife take a homestead on the range and begin to build a new life.
Beth
Nov 12, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd time I am reading the Calder Series. It's a strong, powerful reminder of our history and a good example of family and friends for all of us. I wouldn't want to go back to those times but they sure were strong people!! A real change from the other book I just finished reading "Boys Adrift". What a change in 150 years!
Amy
Mar 27, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
It took me a while to really appreciate this book. For the first half of the book I didn't even like the two main characters. This has got to be the most realistic western romance book I have ever read. It definitely takes you through the highs and lows of their relationship. I'm hooked now though, and will have to read more of the Calder series.
Sherry Ewy
Nov 21, 2015 Sherry Ewy rated it really liked it
Vicki
Jan 15, 2013 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
I love the entire Calder series. It is very rare when an author gets it all right. Growing up on a ranch I tend to be critical of those who write of ranches, horses, history and hardships because they (authors) get it wrong. Ms. Dailey not only tells a beautiful story with flawed characters with debth and detail but takes on a historical journey as well.
Ratforce
Dec 13, 2012 Ratforce added it
Shelves: romantic, western
Janet Dailey’s beloved Calder series stretches from the beginnings of the ranching Calder family all the way into the present day. Fans of Diana Palmer often like Janet Dailey’s sweeping, romantic westerns.
Brandee Silva
Jul 27, 2009 Brandee Silva rated it really liked it
My sisters have been trying to get me to read this series. After the first book, I'm hooked. Love the story about building a ranch from the ground up with hard work, love, and dedication.
Maddux
A long epic story that I didn't much enjoy. There was very little depth where I enjoy deepness.

It reminded me of the movie, Lonesome Dove, but not nearly as compelling.
Susan
Jul 11, 2016 Susan added it
One of the first romance novels I ever read. Fell in love with this series and have read every single book in the series.
Patty
Aug 26, 2012 Patty added it
Time Period 1878. Good Book. This is the first book of Janet Dailey's that I have read. Will read more of her books, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Megan
Jul 11, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
I first read this series 10 years ago and loved it!! It's on my keeper shelf and nice to read over again.
Maggie
Sep 24, 2009 Maggie rated it liked it
this was recommended to me by my aunt. I liked it and will read more of the series.
Deb
Feb 07, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing
One of my reread or go to series. I have in paperback and on my kindle. I reread this series yearly.
Dawn Crosley
Oct 26, 2015 Dawn Crosley rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love the Calder series. Discovered it while looking for a good western romance to read. Actually read #3 first I think... either way, this is a good series for reading over and over!
Joan
Jun 22, 2012 Joan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
A thoroughly enjoyable read!
carla
Jun 15, 2007 carla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance
love the calder series. follows a family for generations through the struggles of running a successful cattle ranch.
Cws
Aug 20, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Dai
Emily Riewerts
Feb 11, 2011 Emily Riewerts rated it really liked it
After being slightly overwhelmed by the descriptions on the first couple of pages, I was drawn into the story and setting of this book and had a hard time putting it down.
Pamela
Sep 22, 2013 Pamela rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Calder series. It tells how the calder empire gets started,and all the hardship,and love the family went through. It was so good, that I went to book two,then 3, etc.
Lee
May 22, 2009 Lee rated it it was amazing
I have read the whole series and enjoyed all of them.
  • Heart of the West
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Two Brothers: The Lawman / The Gunslinger (Two Brothers, #1-2)
  • The Smiling Country
  • The Cadence of Grass
  • Comanche Sunset
  • April's Grave
  • The Devil's Arms
  • Night in Eden
  • A Family for Luke (Riverbend, #3)
  • Next Door Daddy (Mule Hollow, #7)
  • A Summer Affair (Calhoun Chronicles #5)
  • Savage Conquest (Gray Eagle, #9)
  • The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2)
  • Sweet Lullaby
  • Fencing the Sky: A Novel
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Kentucky Rich
Janet Anne Haradon Dailey was an American author of numerous romance novels as Janet Dailey (her married name). Her novels have been translated into nineteen languages and have sold over 300 million copies worldwide.

Born in 1944 in Storm Lake, Iowa, she attended secretarial school in Omaha, Nebraska before meeting her husband, Bill. Bill and Janet worked together in construction and land developme
More about Janet Dailey...

Calder Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Stands A Calder Man (Calder Saga #2)
  • This Calder Sky (Calder Saga #3)
  • Calder Born, Calder Bred (Calder Saga #4)
  • Calder Pride (Calder Saga #5)
  • Green Calder Grass (Calder Saga #6)
  • Shifting Calder Wind (Calder Saga #7)
  • Calder Promise (Calder Saga #8)
  • Lone Calder Star (Calder Saga #9)
  • Calder Storm (Calder Saga #10)
  • Santa In Montana (Calder Saga #11)