Start by marking “First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: A Student-To-Student Guide” as Want to Read:
First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: A Student-To-Student Guide

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: A Student-To-Student Guide

This annually updated collection of the most frequently tested high-yield facts and mnemonics delivers everything you need to pass the most anxiety-provoking exam of your career.
Published December 14th 2010 by McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about First Aid for the USMLE Step 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Aid for the USMLE Step 1

Marcie
Dec 19, 2012 Marcie rated it it was amazing
Ok, I'm not recommending any of you read this book, but I spent ~12 hours/day, 7 days/week for 6 weeks memorizing it, so I felt it deserved a shout out on my Goodreads. It's basically a study guide for medical licensing boards, and every page of mine is highlighted and annotated, read and reread, hated and loved. All my classmates have a copy, but the joke around here is that I'm overly attached to mine -- I can creepily open it directly to specific topics, and I had to keep it in my bed with me ...more
John
Dec 28, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed, I cried...but mostly cried.
Stewart
Dec 19, 2012 Stewart rated it really liked it
To say that I love this book would be a gross distortion of the truth. More accurate would be to say that I have an intimate relationship with this book. I see her more than my own wife and children. That does not mean that I love her. In all honesty I'm using her because she's easy and puts out quickly. She's so good that I plan on sharing her with my friends.
Andrew L. Warren
Dec 19, 2012 Andrew L. Warren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All 2nd year medical students
Shelves: medical
Excellent comprehensive review. More detailed than 2008, but the added information is the most up to date. Consistently based on current research. Vital information for all 4 years of medical school. I use this info on the wards constantly.
Katie
Dec 19, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
I know I know, it's my stupid FA study guide. But I read it 3 times and skimmed it a 4th so I feel it deserves to be on this list. An obvious must-have for Step 1 and provides all the essentials, but I am so sick of looking at this book. Plus sometimes it's overly concise and I had to look elsewhere for context, which was annoying. This edition also didn't have all the fancy color pictures that the 2012 edition does, not that I felt like I didn't learn just as well. In the end, good riddance ...more
Marla Shu
Dec 19, 2012 Marla Shu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medical
No one needs to review this. It's a gold standard. You know what it's good for. Just have a very solid biochem background before tackling the biochem section. Or go review it first with another source.
Megan
Jun 13, 2015 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i only included it because it took up such a big part of my actual reading time, it felt like i should. honestly...i spent way too much time with this book. the important thing is, i'll never have to look at it again.
Andrew L. Warren
Sep 13, 2010 Andrew L. Warren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Second year medical students
Shelves: medical
Awesome review, everything you need to know from the first two years of medical school. This information is valuable for "pimp" questions during 3rd year. Excellent overview of core information. Memorize it!
Dan
Dec 19, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
I've become so close to this book i'm obligated to give it 5 stars. It did have everything needed for the step 1, especially if you annotated the margins like I did. By the time I was done the book was about twice as thick as originally due to added pages and notes.
Haider A zaini
May 09, 2013 Haider A zaini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best book for USMLE step 1 prep .. Accompanied by U world Q bank .. U will definitly beat it !!
Stephanie
Jun 09, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book (and previous editions) have helped me immensely these past two years. I'll see in a couple of days how helpful it has been for the boards...
Jesse Jensen
May 16, 2009 Jesse Jensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great review for the 1st Step that determines your destiny, or so they say.

I dreaded getting through this book, and when I had read it 5 times, I was totally burned out.
Alyssa
May 03, 2010 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: med-school
It's so good I'm reading it for the 3rd time.... I have learned quite a bit from it. If you are trying to pass Step 1, it is a must read.
Wajid
Apr 25, 2013 Wajid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usmle-step-1
The errata is just too huge I came to almost believe this was done on purpose so I will have to purchase the 2013 edition. Ah that's not cool at all I am not rich!
Sas
Mar 12, 2009 Sas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ก็ดีนะ สรุปเนื้อหาแต่ละบทดีมากๆเลย แต่ว่าบางบทก็น้อยเกินไป อ่านไปอาจจะไม่เข้าใจได้ แต่ก็ได้ความคิดรวบยอดดี เพียงแต่ว่าอาจไม่ละเอียดเท่าไหร่นัก
Wajid
Dec 19, 2013 Wajid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usmle-step-1
a medical bible basically but lacks in consistency...I guess that it's unavoidable when you want to take step 1
Renee Wierz
Jan 30, 2013 Renee Wierz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am rating this one but I mean to say check out the 2013 under assisted editors and find yours truly :) Great Read!! :)
Anne
Dec 19, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if "really like" is the appropriate phrase. They didn't have a star for "painful but useful and necessary."
Natasha
This book has been my life for the past 6 weeks. Tomorrow I will finally be free of its grasp over me. It might be the happiest day of my life so far.
Nubia
Nubia rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2008
Neelu Mahendra
Neelu Mahendra rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
James Oldfield
James Oldfield rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Ajay
Ajay rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Jason
It gets the job done.
Danusia
Danusia rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2009
Amit
Amit rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Mar Savvy
Mar Savvy rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Brittney Newby
Brittney Newby rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Raed Al-ahmadi
Raed Al-ahmadi rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2008
  • Rapid Review Pathology
  • Physiology (Board Review Series)
  • Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, with E-Book
  • Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
  • Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
  • Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease
  • Rapid Interpretation of EKG's
  • Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body
  • Gray's Anatomy for Students: With Student Consult Online Access
  • Pocket Medicine: The Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of Internal Medicine 3e
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy
  • Medical Microbiology
  • Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine: 16th Edition
  • Textbook of Medical Physiology
  • Langman's Medical Embryology
  • Kaplan & Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry
  • Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple [Book & CD-ROM]