Start by marking “The Red Heart of Jade (Dirk & Steele, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Red Heart of Jade (Dirk & Steele, #3)

The Red Heart of Jade (Dirk & Steele #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,536 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
The grisly murders are just the beginning. Dean Campbell, ex-cop and clairvoyant, is sent to investigate. He is with the Dirk & Steele Detective Agency, that global association of more-than-human men and women. Shapeshifters, psychics and other paranormals, Dean and his peers are devoted to protecting life. But there are those who live to destroy.

In Taipei, he finds th
Published February 22nd 2011 by Avon (first published July 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Heart of Jade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Heart of Jade

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
There is drive-thru paranormal and there is sit down, multi-dish, stick to your ribs and set your taste buds on fire meal eating. Both are good, depending on what you want. As a paranormal fan, I love a book that I can devour in three hours and get my PNR fix. But as a reader who likes to be wowed, I love Marjorie M. Liu's style. I figure if you don't like her writing style, you won't make it past the first ten pages. She writes intricate and textured. Her world-building involves all the fives s ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
May 25, 2011 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I’ve only read Marjorie Liu’s Crimson series entry but enjoyed her voice so much I decided to pull this book from the pile (well, there’s that and the fact that my friend has patiently been waiting for me to return it for months). I’m afraid I may have picked the wrong book from the pile this time around.

Reading the first chapter was a real chore because, for some reason, I could not fall into the story. It starts out introducing Dean who apparently is a hunky agent who does some sort of police/
Zeek
Jan 04, 2011 Zeek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Red Heart of Jade had some majorly different PNR elements to it- so much so I think I missed some things. I do want to go back and do a re-read once I catch up on the series. Excellent read from a Paranormal Romance series that deserves more press than it gets...
Catherine
The one thing you can say about the Dirk & Steele series is that it’s never typical. Sometimes I just stop and marvel at the stories Liu comes up with. It is the one series that I can think of that manages to provide something unique to the Paranormal Romance genre with every book. I mean, each time you crack open a new book in the series it’s something different. Different powers, different countries, different races. I love it.

In this installment we finally got a closer look at Dean. He ca
Brenda
Apr 16, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this series in order and this story was riveting in so many ways. The chemistry and emotion between the two main characters is heart stopping. They mystery of their past and what it means adds suspense that kept me reading nonstop. Ms. Liu's descriptions of the locations in the book are also wonderful. I can't say enough about her writing style.
Barbara ★
I've read a couple of Marjorie Liu's books and honestly haven't rated one above three stars (and that was stretching it). Her premises always sound exciting and promise to draw the reader in but they just fail to do that. I find myself drifting off and literally have to force myself to finish her books. I can't pinpoint why this is as she has hunky heroes, kick-ass heroines and great plots so it makes no sense but I guess I just do not like her writing style.

In this one, someone is torching peo
Donna Hatridge
This is the 3rd book in the Dirk & Steele series. The book has 282 pages on the Nook. I liked this book the story moves at a fast pace but it took longer for me to get into the story then the first book did. I think that all the characters in the Dirk & Steele detective agency are interesting and like finding out more about them and their powers.

This time it's clairvoyant Dean Campbell, set on the trail of a nonhuman criminal in Taipei who is flagrantly setting people on fire. Also in T
Mystique Reviews
Marjorie Liu has done it again! She has delivered a brilliant yarn about true love lost and found. With fast paced action, sharp dialog and solid world building this is a fun read to curl up with!

Dean Campbell is a regular member of Dirk and Steele, a paranormal detective agency specializing in the magical, strange and fantastic. Sixteen years ago he watched the love of his life get brutally murdered. That was the beginning of the end as Dean throw himself into his work and hide behind a mask of
Leslye
Sep 23, 2013 Leslye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good: Dean and Miri. Both of them are excellent characters and have excellent chemistry together. Strong, witty, playful, committed, they're everything you want in a hero and heroine.

Also good: the mystery. I was kept on my toes the entire time because of the many twists and turns, and all the various players that were pieces in the puzzle.

The not so good: I'm still not sure I fully understand what happened or what everyone's motivations or actions really were. I read the last chapter twice
Jodi
Dec 22, 2008 Jodi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
Miri and Dean are caught at the center of a mystery almost older than time. Two pieces of red jade buried inside living people. A Book that explains the secrets of immortality. This is Book 3 of the Dirk and Steele series. Dean is the operative. He seems to be more or less immortal, not that he wants to put it to the test. He can certainly heal himself. Miri is the girl he loved as a child and thought had died at 16 from a bullet wound to the heart. She didn't. But I was bored by the story. It t ...more
Ronda  Tutt
Dean gets his HEA with Miri. This story was ok for me, actually it was slow and confusing at times. Even now the stories ending is still not clear with the gift and powers Dean and Miri have. I think the author tried to hard and the chase became boring.

Also, for this to be a New York Times Best selling author, she might want to think about getting a new editor for this Kindle edition had a lot of errors in the book with misspelling and words out of place. Usually stuff like this doesn't bother
Gina Briganti
The Red Heart of Jade by Marjorie M. Liu (2006) is the third novel in the Dirk & Steele series of paranormal romances. I give the book 3 stars.

Dean is a recurring character that we got to know in the first two books in the series. His talent for tracing objects is one that I wouldn’t mind having myself. Ms. Liu has written him as incredibly sexy and interesting. At least I think he is.

While he and Koni (also from the first two books) are investigating a case they come across the name of some
Claire
Dean (who of course I pictured as Jensen Ackles, duh!) and Mirabelle's story. Slightly confusing at the start and I still am not sure that it had a wrapped up conclusion. Wonderful world building and descriptions of locales though, and it's nice to have magic romance that doesn't involve were-type shifters. There's a whole spectrum of abilities represented and even the characters who posses powers don't always know the full extent of their abilities. I like that this isn't a Western-based world ...more
Summer
I was a little disappointed with this book. It just didn't grab my attention like the others in the series did. I'm hoping I find better luck with the next book.
Lizzielvr
Jun 19, 2011 Lizzielvr rated it liked it
Not as good as the first two. I had high hopes for this because I really liked Dean. Wasn't bad, just OK.
Pet
Jul 23, 2015 Pet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this this series years ago, long before goodreads ;) and a discontentment in a lot of the books I have been reading lately had me reaching for these again. I couldn't remember the actual stories (it really has been that long), but I did remember that I enjoyed them, and I was not disappointed.

Ms. Liu's h's are wonderfully strong independent women, they have depth and passion, and have more than enough backbone to stand side by side with the men that love them.

None more than The Red Heart
Amyiw
Oct 13, 2014 Amyiw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 1/2 stars - I was on the fence on giving this a one or two stars but the effort it took me to read through it, I think, was the deciding factor. I started this book and got well into it a couple of time and then put it down. This time I started from the beginning and pushed through but still kept on putting it down over and over. It took me close to two weeks to get through it, reading a little every day, I was determined. Since I usually read books in one to three days, this is a bad sign.

So
Kim~Fantasy~
May 12, 2011 Kim~Fantasy~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I've decided if I can't have Rictor I want Koni....and before my girls start yelling at me, I already chose them both at previous books...so :P!!! Anyway Dean's book was great, I would have never thought that the pervy one would be so deep! LOL Anyway I thought the love between Dean and Miri was amazing...the kind fairytales are really made of. I loved the backstory of the jade as well. I really want to know Miri's abilities and if she joins D&S. I loved the action and romance and all ...more
Crystal
Mar 28, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vamp-were, traded
First off, I'm liking the heck out of this series but... this installment had me as confused as the H/h were (what's going on?!)

So our H/h practically grew up together until... they were attacked while making out in the backseat of a car some creep decided to steal. Uh...yeah. Both were shot in the chest and somehow magically survived. Because you see, they couldn't die except by natural causes or their own hands or something like that. Strange. No- they didn't know about it. H, after tracking d
mlady_rebecca
This was a very dark, very confusing book. I don't really remember the second book in the series, but as I recall the first book was rather light and fun, reminding me of Sherrilyn Kenyon's writing style, and her book "Fantasy Lover", in particular.

The first chapter was really confusing. I had trouble understanding what was happening, and who it was happening to. Dream? Vision? Reality? The second chapter got better, but there wasn't much improvement after that.

I didn't like the world being port
Susan
Review: The Red Heart of Jade is an adventure in the supernatural world where the unusual is normal for the extraordinary members of the Dirk & Steele Detective Agency. As a detective of the agency, Dean Campbell’s current assignment has him following the trail of a serial killer to Taipei and facing more otherworldly beings that keep the story growing in intrigue. It doesn’t take him long to realize that there is a more deadly and evil force at work and it will prove to be his most personal ...more
ange
Kerry
Sep 24, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9, romance, paranormal, 2006
I really enjoyed this. Liu has given out more of the puzzle pieces that describe her world without spelling it out for us or even telling us enough to come up with any answers on our own yet. We're being left to discover what's really going on in that alternate version of the world at the same trickle feed pace as the Dirk & Steel agents, and while I respect this as a perfectly valid writing exercise (and marketing one as well to keep me spending my money), it's also extremely irritating.

I
Jas
Mar 20, 2010 Jas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book. I read it diligently till about half way through, when I made the mistake of putting it down and then I could not convince myself that it was worth it to pick it back up. I really, really enjoyed the beginning of Liu's Dirk and Steele series, the first two books struck me as original and well written. The Heart of Jade had a very intriguing premise and I was excited to read the book because I had remembered Dean from the others. Unfortunately, I think the book was too ...more
Peejay Who Once Was Minsma
Each one of Ms. Liu's Dirk and Steele books is better than the last. She writes lyrically at times, gritty at other times, and (like Meljean Brook mentioned above) the depth of her characters is equal to her fertile imagination. By this book, the third in her series, she's also got her pacing down cold, too, telling a really engaging action-adventure-paranormal romance. Dean Campbell of the Dirk and Steele (paranormal) detective agency, is in China tracking a murderer who burns his victims alive ...more
Gates Watson
Jul 12, 2015 Gates Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone wanting to read a great paranormal series should put the Dirk and Steele novels on their list. The employees of the agency are each talented, individuals with a few quirks. They each hide in plain site while saving humanity. Great reads each and every one.
~Leslie~
Dec 01, 2012 ~Leslie~ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-nook
3.5 stars Number three in the Dirk and Steele series is good and I really liked it but I had to downgrade my rating because it is very confusing and I wanted more with the H/h than the story gave me. This is a very convoluted story about dragons and Chinese mythology but it keeps your interest even though you are scratching your head. Mirabelle Lee is a noted Archeologist and Dean is an operative with Dirk and Steele and he is in Taiwan to investigate a series of murders that were accomplished b ...more
Dantegideon
May 18, 2015 Dantegideon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent in places. Spends too long with mysterious characters doing mysterious things at the start though.
Kelly
Oct 15, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars.

I liked the characters, but something about the story fell a little flat compared to the last two books. Perhaps it is that this one is so much more open ended than the previous two; it has a storyline that is clearly going to continue into the series much more so than the first two volumes. And even the storyline with the main characters relationship isn't exactly self-contained. What will Miri and Dean do if every time their chests come together they risk creating the stone, whole?
Carien
Jul 01, 2011 Carien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
I had a bit of trouble getting into this story at first, but once I did it was an exciting read from there on. The story did feel a bit over-complicated from time to time, but Liu's writing is so beautiful I'm willing to go where she leads me and take any twisted road to get to the conclusion which so far with every book has been more than satisfying. There was lots of action, cool characters and a very sweet romance. This might not be my favourite book of this series so far, it certainly is a t ...more
  • Dark Dreamers (Dark #7; Dirk & Steele, #4)
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
  • Hunter, Healer (Society, #2)
  • Through a Crimson Veil (Crimson City, #3)
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Children, #1)
  • Breakfast with Tiffany: An Uncle's Memoir
  • The Darkening (Immortals, #2)
  • A Night with the Society Playboy (Nights of Passion #3)
  • Dead Surround (Julia Poe Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • Crimson & Steam (Crimson City, #8)
  • Demon Moon (The Guardians, #2)
  • Cinderman
  • A Darker Crimson (Crimson City, #4)
  • Strange Little Band: Two Psychics. One Mega-Corp. All-Around Bad Behavior.
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • The Dragon Master (Dragon, #3)
  • Dog and Dragon
  • Butterfly Swords (Tang Dynasty, #1)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black
More about Marjorie M. Liu...

Dirk & Steele (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele,  #1)
  • Shadow Touch (Dirk & Steele,  #2)
  • A Dream of Stone & Shadow (Dirk & Steele, #4)
  • Dark Dreamers (Dark #7; Dirk & Steele, #4)
  • Eye of Heaven (Dirk & Steele #5)
  • Soul Song (Dirk and Steele,  #6)
  • Where the Heart Lives (Dirk & Steele #6.5)
  • The Last Twilight (Dirk & Steele, #7)
  • The Wild Road (Dirk & Steele, #8)
  • The Fire King (Dirk & Steele, #9)

“Jesus, Dean. I don’t know why you have me around with her watching your back”
“You’re just jealous. But don’t worry. One day you too will have your very own little Amazon.”
“I’ll just settle for a woman.”
“If you’re lonely, you can have the inflatable sex doll Blue gave me for my birthday. I don’t want the two
of you to miss out on an opportunity for love.”
“You didn’t like her?”
“I wasn’t man enough to satisfy her cravings. I’m sure you’ll be different.”
6 likes
“Come on. Let’s go and sit down. I need to have a beer and a nervous
breakdown.”
“Talk first, then breakdown. I want answers, not drool.”
“You used to love my drool.”
“Ha. You funny.”