Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)

Sinner (The Wayfarer Redemption #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,950 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The land Tencendor has been united for more than forty years. The Starman Axis defeated the dreaded monster Gorgrael and by fulfilling his destiny he has brought peace finally to the three races of this land: the Icarii bird people, the Avar tree people, and the humans who for generations controlled (and oppressed) the other two races. Attaining god-like powers, Axis chose...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Tor Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Sinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinner

Rabbit {run little Red Ridinghood}
Disclaimer: Gifs.

I really liked this.

Yes, it will make you hate (or seriously dislike) Axis, Azhure, and Caelum.

While some people would think these next three books weren't necessary, but they were IMHO. There were a lot of foreshadowing in the first three books, that have led to events in the last three books in the series.

I love how Faraday returns to kick even more ass, and has turned into a BAMF Queen.

I love how Drago has depth to his character, and I am, by the end of this book rooting fo...more
Jackie Cowan
This is the first book in the second series to the Axis Trilogy. If you liked the first three books, you will not like these three. However, if you didn't like the first three books, you might like these three. Everything I liked about the Axis Trilogy was basically ripped apart and set on fire, making it completely pointless to read. Sinner, Pilgrim, and Crusader ruined the Axis Trilogy as a whole.

Bottom line: If you have read the Axis Trilogy, do yourself a favor and erase these next books fro...more
Joel Davies
The characters in the first three books of Wayfarer Redemption all share flaws and weaknesses, often times causing the reader to outright dislike them. Yet each character also had their redeeming qualities, and external influences that attributed to their actions.

In Sinner, almost every character is abrasive, arrogant, rude or stupid. Axis and Azhure seem hollow shells of the complex characters evolved over the previous books. Caelum acts like a four year old, not a man of 40 years!

The imminent...more
Lady K

Il faut savoir que ce tome est le premier d’une trilogie annoncée et la suite d’une première trilogie, la Trilogie d’Axis. Je tiens aussi à dire que je n’ai pas lu cette dernière et que j’ai pourtant compris ce qu’il se passait ! C’est un très bon point pour ce livre, il n’y a rien d’incompréhensible, tout est plus ou moins réexpliqué, les différentes races, les différents pouvoirs, les différents liens de parenté, tout ce que le lecteur a besoin de savoir...more
Trisha
So I finished book 1 of The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass. Of course, I'm confused by what the proper title of the series should be, because when I look on the internet for this series, it's books from earlier on in the world's timeline that first come up. Oh well...

I have read reviews that say the earlier (and possibly later) books are a lot better in that you care more about the characters in them...but as someone who has never read Sara Douglass before, i must say I really did enjoy th...more
Beaulah Pragg
Having read the first two books of the Darkglass Mountain Trilogy by Sara Douglass (a subsequent series), it was a fascinating leap to jump back into a time when Tencendor had not yet vanished beneath the sea and many of the characters who had been only legends were suddenly alive and 'breathing'.

'Sinner' is a book that can stand alone, but I suspect appeals far more to an audience that has already read Douglass' first 'Battle Axe' series because this set deals with the children and aftermath of...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
It's been forty years since the Prophecy of the Destroyer. Peace rules the land of Tencendor. Where Axis, Azhure and Faraday's children have grown. Many people do not like the rule of the Throne of Stars and seek to destroy the peace for their own gains. They want the kingdom of Achar back with Prince Zared as their king. Caelum does not want to see the kingdom of Achar reinstituted because it will cause strife among the races. Zared wishes to marry Leagh, Princess of the North but Caelum and he...more
Lady Reads
I hate giving books a one star rating; authors work so hard to bring a novel to life. I only do this, give the one star rating, if a book has serious or offensive flaws. This book has both.

I loved Wayfarer Redemption #3. I adored it. It was right up there with my favorite books of all time. Axis was so flawed but so brave. He was a worthy leader. Both Faraday and Ahzur were strong, decisive women and fair, beautiful mothers.

What you get in Sinner is the opposite of all these powerful character q...more
Katie
It's hard to find anyone to like, much less root for in this book. This book even managed to kill whatever love I had for Azhure in the first 3 books with her reaction to Zenith's troubles. The universe is compelling as ever and the story is interesting, but I hate everyone at this point and am kind of hoping the Timekeeper Demons eat all of them.

Seriously. Death to Tencendor. It's filled with jerks.
Rachel
I have not read the first trilogy, and, if they're like this, I am quite pleased. Shallow, arrogant, pompous characters, an entire plot that was predictable, and the whole plot lines revolving around Drago and Zenith were as annoying as they could possibly be. Maybe because I am a firm believer in the fact that it's our choices that make us who we are, the thought that Drago was born to do what he did, and Zenith was born to be who she was, was incredibly hard to stomach.
Donna
Oct 09, 2010 Donna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to Donna by: my sister, Dionne
At the end of the 'Axis Trilogy' my like of Sara Douglass as a fantasy author was waning, after reading the opener to the 'sequel' trilogy, it has almost been obliterated.
There is not much charm or eloquence to this novel at all. I found her writing to be crudely designed to shock, especially in the way she romanticises incest and condones the brutal murder of a child.
I believe she also has isolated fans of the original trilogy by making her 'old favourite' characters into hollow, unlikeable sho...more
Chris Pacheco
I enjoyed the Axis trilogy. Yet, i did not like the characters very much. There were a few here and there, but many of the main characters just sucked. I believe that since that was Sara's first story, it had the characteristics of a first story. But this. This... is something fucking amazing. Sara douglass is fucking relenbtless with the amount of suffering she puts on her cast. It truly reminded me of Ian Irvine(AUS). I love how what ever hardships the people in the first three books faced and...more
Anastasia
I liked this better than the first trilogy, I think for one reason: because I wasn't supposed to like the characters I didn't like. I never warmed to Axis in the first trilogy. In fact, I think I liked him less as the novels went on. Caelum, on the other hand, isn't supposed to be likable, which is good, because I think he's a total dick. Actually, there aren't many characters I like at all. Zenith, and perhaps StarDrifter.

The rest of my complaints about the original trilogy apply here - dumb na...more
Jenn
This is the 4th book in the Wayfarer redemption series but I personally think this is the start of a new trilogy. The story starts out 40 year after the big battle. It does bring back the old characters but they are not the main players. The children are the main focus of the book.

This book captured me just as much as the other books in the series. I found that the characters seemed to have a little more depth to them. I found Caelum being the weakest character out of all of them. He annoyed me...more
Laura Gary
Love love love this series!!!
Caprica
Just finished and was pleasantly surprised. I liked this and did not expect to. The first three books I read years ago and was very emotionally affected by the ending. When I found out that some characters returned in these books, I just didn't want to have to deal with them again. Douglass creates people that can be truly annoying and make you dislike them, which is unusual since they are usually the protaginists of the tale. I finally gave into reading the second trio of this series and glad t...more
Mindy
So, this is the fourth book in a series I thought there were only 3 of. I kind of wonder if there were only supposed to be three but people liked them so much Douglass invented a subsequent trilogy for the same world. If that is the case, she's done a great job. To many times, authors trying to build off the success of books by writing sequels they never intended do a poor job, but not so in this case. Douglass' world is detailed enough to support another storyline, and I can't wait to read the...more
Aly Linderer
I adored the first three books of the series, so I bought the next two thinking they'd be just as good. They weren't. I liked them, but I barely finished Sinner and hardly touched Pilgrim. The children are all abrasive, arrogant and extremely hard to like. Axis and Azhure aren't the glorious characters they were before; it's like the souls were sucked from them upon becoming gods!

Unless you really want to see what happens with the kids (I didn't) stop with Starman.
Brenda
This series is very good, but intense and dark. If you start it be ready to read a lot of material that can become very depressing. But, the writing is so good the reader falls in love with this alternate world with is different races, religions, and magics. I loved it, but I had to space out reading each book so I did go into a bad place in my head due to the graphic violence to women (sorry for the spoiler).
Adrienne Crowley
This is really book 4 of the series... I liked the first book so much that I bought the remaining 5 of the series from a book store in Australia and had them shipped to my house here in Michigan. It ended up being totally worth it to read them in succession instead of waiting 2 years in between waiting for them to be published here.
Lydia Presley
I think I almost like this book better than the original trilogy. I was torn back and forth between sides, felt a hurt I didn't think possible for Drago, was angry at Caelum and wondered if I was wrong about Axis and Azhure more often than not!

Needless to say, I ripped quickly through this book and look forward to the next.
Farhana Faruq
According to other reviews..this isn't as good as the rest of the series. Well... seeing how I decided to read book 4 first (which I shouldn't have done) I REALLY enjoyed it!!!

I loved the charnacters. It's fast paced and interesting all the way through.

I definitely look forward to reading more from Sara Douglass.
Jessi
This is called the fourth book of The Wayfarer Redemption series in America, but for Sara Douglass it really marks the beginning of a new trilogy. This trilogy is also very good, but it is a lot more gory and nasty. Still, it is a very intriguing story and the love matches are odd but satisfying.
Jeanne
So far I enjoyed the first 3 books of this series better. I am a bit disappointed in our main characters in this first book of the next three, but I may change my mind with this rating as I finish completely these 3 books...long way to go with this story and I am still quite interested.
Lindsey
Better than her first trilogy in this universe; at least these characters have some shading, if still no depth. The foreshadowing is transparent as always, but at least the characters are more interesting and there is some question as to what price the heroes will pay for this victory.
Tyla Smith
I know lovers of the first three books to this series feel Douglass took an extremely dark turn with the next three and didn't enjoy it but I adore it. I think the series needed it and I could not put these books down. Plus Faraday comes back as the badass Axis wouldn't let her be.
Rebecca
Douglas is a very good fantasy writer who convicingly turns things upside down from where she last left them. She also does a good job of showing more and more flaws in her supposed heroes as those who were once thought lost or traitors emerge once again from the shadows.
Greg J
The first trilogy was incredibly cliche at first but got a bit more interesting as it went along. The 4th boko was so hackneyed and with characters doing anoyingly obviously wrong things that I closed it after the first 50 pages never to read Sara Douglas again.
Sueij
Oh, what a disappointment after so many excellent books.

I liked the first three books of the series, but this was a lackluster story about a bunch of whiners. I'm only reading on because of the eleven books in the storyline, I'm only missing two.
Marian Weaver

This series just doesn't get old. I think this is the third or fourth time I've picked it up, and it still draws me in and doesn't let go.

It's going back on my shelves as soon as I save this review, and I'm going to start Pilgrim immediately.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count is incorrect 3 25 Mar 16, 2012 04:04PM
  • Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #3)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)
  • Revenge (Trinity, #2)
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas...more
More about Sara Douglass...
The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1) Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2) Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3) Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5) Crusader (Wayfarer Redemption, #6)