Start by marking “642 Things to Draw: Journal” as Want to Read:

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A rolling pin, a robot, a pickle, a water tower, a hammock, a wasp, a safety pin, a kiss. Budding artists and experienced sketchers alike will find themselves invigorated by this collection of offbeat, clever, and endlessly absorbing drawingprompts. Some are deceptively simple (just try drawing a bicycle!), some are conceptually mind-bending (sketching the sound of girlish ...more
Diary, 304 pages
Published September 1st 2010 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about 642 Things to Draw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 642 Things to Draw

Ana
642 Things to Draw: Journal
As an artist, I have to say, I really love this book. I started this book on May 19, 2012. Not sure when I will finish it as there are 642 things to draw and I don't necessarily draw in it every day. As of this writing I have done 11 challenges.

This is a sketchbook/journal in a different way. Each page has one to four items written on it and you draw that item in the space provided. It is a great way to get the creative juices flowing. When I have the need to draw, but
Susan

A must have for former art students who haven't drawn in forever! Just having a pencil in hand with no bigger goal than to doodle the item listed on the page was refreshing and so enjoyable. No pressure to produce something awesome but a nice opportunity to work out some design/rendering muscles. Thank you to a co-worker who admired the doodles on some meeting notes--one of my favorite gifts ever!
Angel
This book is Awesome I can put it down!!! Anyone who enjoys art GET THIS BOOK! NOW. You will defiantly love it. Its basically A blank book that has around 2-8 things to draw per page eg.a pony tail or a spiral stair case.
Crystal Puckett
Jan 06, 2011 Crystal Puckett is currently reading it
Shelves: art, own
I love this book! It literally just has 642 things to draw (I haven't counted them, but I assume they aren't lying on the number). 642 RANDOM things to draw. If you're in a inspiration rut, this is the book for you! Just pick it up, let it open to any page, and draw. Or, you can go in order. Or you can go backwards. It's your call. But do it. I'd like to finish mine by the end of the year, so I'm planning to draw between 1 and 3 a day for the year. I hope they do a sequel for next year!
Timothy Wolf
This sketch journal is awesome. It really sparked my imaginative side and gave me a chance to really improve my drawing skills. It kept me busy for hours on end as I tried to perfect my drawings. I would recommend this to anyone who likes doodling just for fun or for artists looking to open their imagination and improve. Can't wait to get 712 More Things to Draw.
Maisy
This is a really cool book! Great for rainy days, with 642 completely random objects as well as things that make you laugh; a tacky rug, a beatles song, great for all ages!
Em
Oct 02, 2011 Em is currently reading it
Shelves: love
I just started doing this book, and I already love it! It really makes you think about what you're drawing in order to make you a better artist.
Halah
Mar 20, 2013 Halah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: i-own
This is so fun! Usually I can never think of what to draw so this really helps getting me started.
Theresa
I love this book. I do quick,simple drawings according to the prompts.
Nazreen M.
Nazreen M. marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Berny
Berny marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Alex Watson
Alex Watson marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Chiqui188
Chiqui188 marked it as to-read
Elysia Hughes
Elysia Hughes marked it as to-read
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Tathagata Pandit
Tathagata Pandit marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Cjbutter
Cjbutter marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Maizie
Maizie marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Harpreet
Harpreet marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • 642 Things to Write About
  • 365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!
  • Van Gogh
  • Successful Drawing
  • The Non-Planner Datebook
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Geek Dad Book for Aspiring Mad Scientists: The Coolest Experiments and Projects for Science Fairs and Family Fun
  • My Listography: My Amazing Life in Lists
  • 344 Questions: The Creative Person's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment
  • The Exquisite Book: 100 Artists Play a Collaborative Game
  • Q&A a Day: 5-Year Journal
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • The Happy Book
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • All About Me
  • Natural Beauty at Home, Revised Edition: More Than 250 Easy-to-Use Recipes for Body, Bath, and Hair
  • This Book Will Change Your Life, Again
Everything Is Going to Be OK Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts!: Woolly Embroidery: Crewelwork, Stump Work, Canvas Work, and More! Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts!: Lacy Crochet My Quotable Kid: A Parents' Journal of Unforgettable Quotes Mom's One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book