Start by marking “Moby-Dick: A Pop-Up Book” as Want to Read:
Moby-Dick: A Pop-Up Book

Moby-Dick: A Pop-Up Book

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  154 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
“Call me Ishmael.” Three of the most famous words in all literature, they begin Herman Melville’s masterpiece, Moby-Dick. Now, the epic saga of Captain Ahab’s obsessive quest for the white whale comes vividly to life in this three-dimensional graphic novel, the first of its kind. This phenomenal work is the creation of multi-talented artist Sam Ita, apprentice to Robert Sa ...more
Hardcover, Abridged, 8 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Moby-Dick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moby-Dick

The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreMoby-Dick by Sam ItaKubla Khan by Nick BantockWinter's Tale by Robert SabudaThe Dwindling Party by Edward Gorey
Best Pop-Up Books
2nd out of 32 books — 6 voters
Fahrenheit 451 by Tim HamiltonPride & Prejudice by Nancy ButlerLe Petit Prince by Joann SfarJane Eyre The Graphic Novel by Amy CorzineA Wrinkle in Time by Hope Larson
Graphic Novel Adaptations of Classic Books
36th out of 73 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy Breinholt
May 20, 2014 Nancy Breinholt rated it really liked it
Totally abbreviated story, but seriously. An amazing pop up book combined with a fabulous graphic novel. It was so abridged I missed a few of my favorite parts, but such a great book for kids and adults alike.
Jackie
Jun 18, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it
The art in this book is amazing. The story though I am still unsure of. What is the point of Ishmael being on the boat? Someone help me out.
Adrian Lee
Mar 27, 2014 Adrian Lee rated it liked it
Cool pop-up graphics but the story line is too short. Need to read the original book for a more thrilling reading experience.
Gig Wailgum
Jan 26, 2016 Gig Wailgum rated it really liked it
Really great and cleverly done. The use of 3D pop ups and sequential art is brilliant.
Grace
Jan 02, 2008 Grace rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-of-sail, arts, fun
The pop-ups in this book are amazing! It has spinning whirlpools, a telescope, stormy waves, a full rigged ship... It's no wonder they call the artists "paper engineers." I considered giving this book to my 9-year-old nephew, but I think it would be a bit awkward and confusing for a reader who didn't already know the story of Moby Dick, especially with the comic-book-style short-attention-span dialog. But maybe I was just looking for excuses to keep the book for myself.

By the way, it was on sale
Amy
Apr 03, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
I’ve read other reviews that tout this as a good introduction for children to great literature, which I think is off the mark somewhat; I don’t think this book is really meant for kids! This was a gift from a friend (one of the best gifts I’ve ever received) and I laughed and laughed when I opened it. No, I don’t think this is for children, but instead meant as a delightful “In Joke” for those who know and love Moby Dick and get a kick out of seeing a colossal philosophical work reduced to 20 pa ...more
Rebekah
Sep 15, 2011 Rebekah rated it it was ok
The paper engineering in this book is amazing, but I was disappointed by the graphics. The dot-eyes and the line quality (as if with a felt-tip marker) look amateurish, like something a seventh-grader would draw in his notebook. The drawings are simple, and not in a good way; Persepolis had a simple style whose clarity packs a punch.
I have never read the original Moby-Dick; what I know of the story comes mostly from attending a performance of Orson Welles' Moby-Dick Rehearsed.
Janet
Aug 03, 2011 Janet rated it it was amazing
Got this at the New Bedford Whaling Museum after finishing the annual Moby Dick Marathon reading. The pop-ups are awesome, especially the Pequod with rigging.

Showed this off to my co-workers and they're all eager to make pop-up books of life in cubicles now. Showed this to my BFF the Hermit Potter at lunch today. He digs it too. Best pop-up book ever.
Finn Pennekamp
Feb 07, 2013 Finn Pennekamp rated it it was amazing
This is a really inspired summary of MOBY DICK that tackles some of the best parts of the book, and even some of the most internal and character driven, but it's done in GREAT BIG GIANT ELABORATE POP-UPs. I mean -- woah -- can books get any better this this?

Thanks, Adam, Brigitte & Piper! I'm going to LOVE this book for a very, very, very long time!!
Kassie
Sep 01, 2008 Kassie marked it as to-read
possibly the only way i can get through this book will be thanks to the dazzle of pop-up panoramas. knowing me, i will be fascinated, then terrified by the unexplainable magic popping from the pages and will be forced to destroy such a bewildering demon. i guess i should just stick with gregory peck.
Troy
Jan 05, 2009 Troy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
One of the coolest pop-up books ever! It's a pop-up book AND it's a comic. But it's not much of a comic. It's version of Moby Dick skips over all of my favorite parts of the book, but that's not surprising when the pop-up book only has 12 pages to tell ALL of Moby Dick.
Meghan
Feb 22, 2008 Meghan rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, comics
This is a graphic novel/pop-up hybrid adaptation of Moby Dick made by an apprentice of Sabuda. It's impressive to look at but surprisingly short, and, I don't know, not that interesting. I have no interest in reading the actual book Moby Dick, so this will suffice.
Donna
Mar 04, 2008 Donna rated it really liked it
The plot is necessarily abbreviated, so following the story is sometimes difficult for the kids, but the art makes it all worth while. My six year old is engaged by this book and I share his delight in it. A great way to introduce a classic story.
sweet pea
Jun 21, 2008 sweet pea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-content
this is a brilliant, often hilarious, graphic novel/ pop-up hybrid. the art is stunning. the pop-ups are stunning. the feature with the sailors raising their glasses to the beat of the tambourine is damn funny. a truly awesome book.
Andy
Jan 06, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it
Well, it's not really Moby-Dick, of course, but the pop-ups are detailed and fascinating. I'd give it five stars if it included the bit where "Ishmael" imagines one severed whale head to be Plato's and another to be Kant's.
Grace Manalo
Jan 08, 2014 Grace Manalo rated it it was amazing
AMAZING. I met Sam this passed weekend at the NY Art Book Fair. He's a truly talented artist, and I've never seen such intricately designed pop up books. I WANT THEM ALL! Thanks for the copy, Sam!!!! (:
Trainreq
May 22, 2008 Trainreq rated it really liked it
O.k. so it wasn't exactly this book. Did this one via PDA. Not as bad to do as you would think. I thought it could have used some pictures, and a heroic dog.
Patrick
Jan 29, 2008 Patrick rated it it was amazing
More of a graphic novel with amazing pop-ups and details. It works better if you've already read the complete text.
Schmacko
Mar 01, 2010 Schmacko rated it really liked it
My only complaint is that the hand-drawn art is not nearly as impressive as the pop-up engineering.
Jamie
5 stars for incredible, exquisite paper engineering. A wondrous delight to read.
Susan
May 05, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booktalkers
Wow! A graphic novel and a pop-up by one of Robert Sabuda's apprentices. Glorious!
Kate
Oct 22, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
I bought this for my niece but I really wanna keep it. It is just soooooooo cool.
Rebecca
May 07, 2008 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Graphic novel pop-up book with glitter and MOBY DICK?? Must read!
Chris
Jan 05, 2009 Chris marked it as to-read
I think I have this, but if I don't, I will.
Gerry M
My six year old son loves it.
Jakc
Nov 03, 2008 Jakc added it
wildly cool
Heidi
Mar 25, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing
amazing.
Aiswariasatheesh
Aiswariasatheesh marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016