Start by marking “The Sculptress” as Want to Read:
The Sculptress

The Sculptress

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  6,663 ratings  ·  206 reviews
Everyone knows about Olive Martin, the huge and menacing woman who was found five years ago with the carved-up bodies of her mother and younger sister. Everyone knows how she pleaded guilty to murder at her trial. And everyone knows not to anger "the Sculptress" even now that she is safely locked in prison for a minimum of twenty-five years. When journalist Rosalind Leigh ...more
Published October 15th 1994 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Sculptress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sculptress

A chilling story from a master of the crime/suspense genre. A monstrously obese woman is in prison having confessed and pled guilty to the murder and brutal dismembering of her mother and younger sister some years previously. A writer, who is dealing with emotional damages of her own, is assigned by her publisher to write a book about the affair. She uncovers several discrepancies between the confession and the facts in the case which lead her to dig ever deeper until she finally reveals the tru ...more
This is an okay book if you can ignore it's occasional far-fetchedness! Convoluted, improbable plot. Unlikely characters doing unlikely things in unlikely circumstances.

Rosalind Leigh is commissioned to write a book about Olive Martin, an obese woman known as The Sculptress, after hacking up her mother and sister with an ax and rearranging the pieces. Now she carves little wax figurines in her prison cell, including one of Rosalind after their first interview. Olive convinces Rosalind that she
Hannah Renowden
I don't care what anyone thinks, I LOVE this author's work! Disturbing, yup. Gory, yup. Dark, dark, dark! Does this mean I'm mentally sick, probably, but I don't mind because this woman knows her ____! Could not put this book down! Thought about it for days afterwards! That my friend are the signs of a great book.
Out of 50+ winners of the Edgar Award for Best Novel, I had only read 13 before beginning my challenge to myself to read all of them. The Sculptress was one of them. I had read the first three or four of Walters' novels, and then stopped keeping up with them for some reason or no reason. I may have to rethink that decision.

Walters' books are characterized as psychological thrillers, and they certainly do have many of the traits of that subgenre. Unlike some, though, Walters has said that there
Aniko Carmean
Five psychiatrists have pronounced Olive Martin in full possession of her sanity. She is not a psychopath, despite dismembering her mother and sister like parting a chicken for Sunday dinner. Although the police ensured Olive's solicitor was present when she gave her confession, both society and justice were quick to accept Olive's guilty plea. It turns out that no one looks too closely or thinks to hard about a morbidly obese, hideously ugly woman who has professed her own guilt - not even when ...more
JoAnne Pulcino

Minette Walters

A very dear friend wanted to share one of her favorite books with me and I couldn't be more pleased to be sharing it with you! A journalist has been assigned to write a book about the woman named the Sculptress. She was found with her mother and sister dead in her arms and pled guilty to the murders. There's a lot more to the story and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Thank you Alice!! You're the best!!
Jean Brodahl
One of the scariest, psychologically speaking, books I've ever read. Yes, as you know, I don't read scary books...well, I don't read "horror". I think this book was probably recommended to me, OR PBS had a mini-series and I heard about it that way. It's been years since I read it but I remember not being able to put it down. I will not, however, watch the movie. WAY too scary.

From Google Books: Everyone knows about Olive Martin, the huge and menacing woman who was found five years ago with the
Robert Beveridge
Minette Walters, The Sculptress (St. Martin's, 1993)
[originally posted 19Sep2000]

Back when I was reading The Breaker, I noticed that a lot of reviews of it compared it quite unfavorably to Walters' other novels. I still consider those reviews somewhat wrongheaded, but now I realize it's not because people didn't realize The Breaker was any good; it's because people were seeing the same kinds of plot devices as Walters has used int he past, but Walters is now getting too subtle for the average my
When you read a lot of books, it can sometimes be difficult to recall which books you've read and which you haven't. At least that's the case in the time before social networking sites for books. (How did we ever survive?!?)

That's what happened with "The Sculptress." I'd thought I'd read it before based on the novel's description and the opening chapters felt vaguely familiar. But for some odd reason I couldn't recall the twists, turns and the solution to the mystery at the center of the book. (
Ubik 2.0
One of the best mystery novels I've read! If you want a richly complex mystery novel for summer beach reading, I would recommend this book. Minette Walters is a British mystery novelist who has made quite a name for herself. In this novel, Rosalind Lee (Roz) has been advised by her publisher to write a book on a convicted murderer, Olive Martin, or be dropped. Roz has her own tragic past that has kept her from being super productive and decides to give it a go. After her first meeting with Olive ...more
This book is a Crime Choice of the Year awardee, and well deserved!

It has a very intricate plot but you won't be confused with the story.

The character of the sculptress is very real. Sometimes i hate her. But there are times i took pity on her. Her character evolved so beautifully from the first page up to the last one.

the author is a superb storyteller. this is the second book i read from her (first one is The Shape of Snakes) and i must say that only in this book did she make a fan out of me.
I have not read as many Minette Walters novels as I should. I am reminded of this whenever I start one. This novel is surely one of the best of its genre - a fascinating psychological crime thriller.
It is very much of its time, the 90s realism of criminal psychology, full-bodied characters, sub-texts and twists.
Walters gets the characters so correct, so believable, that one almost wonders if she is not a bit of a close psychopath herself. Her understanding of the human condition, and of the se
Amanda Patterson
There are some authors who have embraced their dark sides. In fact they've embraced humanity's shadow, looked it in the eye and dissected it.
Olive Martin is a grotesquely obese woman who has been imprisoned for murdering, and dismembering the bodies of, her mother and sister.
Rosalind Leigh is a best-selling author who has been asked to write Olive's story.
Rosalind is dealing with her own problems, but she realises that there are discrepancies between the facts of the murders and Olive's confes
Ewwww creepy from the get-go, this is a great summertime, vaca read! I especially loved the ending, which is what I hated about another Minette Walters book, Scold's Bridle. Great mystery!
Camille Thompson
Good crime novel. Fed my need for a whodunit after Serial ended.
Linda Lipko
What a remarkable book. This is a book to read as Halloween approaches.

Containing many twists and turns, some very gruesome descriptions and a host of wicked characters, this doesn't disappoint.

Horribly obese, Olive sits in jail after she confessed to the killing and dismemberment of her mother and sister. Calmly calling the police, she greeted them at the door in blood stained attire. Police vomited when they witnessed the gruesomeness of the deadly deed.

Enter Rox, an author whose publisher wil
Kathleen Hagen
The Sculptress, by Minette Walters, a-minus, Narrated by Sandra Burr, Produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from

This is a book that has been in my library for a long time that I just now read. It’s a wonderful book-in some ways not as dark as many of Walters’ books. Publisher’s note says it as well as I could.
Everyone knows Olive Martin, the huge and menacing woman who was found five years ago with the carved-up bodies of her mother and younger sister. Everyone
knows how she plead
Mixed feelings. Quite an interesting story of crime, with a flat ending, was what I felt. Olive Martin is not likeable and when she hacks her mother and sister and confesses to the crime, there is not a prayer in the world that could help her get away with it. Rosalind Leigh is an author on the threat of being fired by her publisher, who is forced to write Olive's story. While the spark intuitive to any story teller is no longer in Rosalind, she manages to get an appointment with Olive to get he ...more
This mystery is riveting to the end. I literally could not put it down until I read the last page. Along with the satisfying mystery, the characters' development and the depth of their personalities made this a total winner. This is only my second Minette Walters novel, and I can't wait to read more!
A great mystery with depth in characterization and with enough twists and turns to keep you on edge of the seat.I loved Walter's writing and loved the ending where enough clues were left out to keep the readers guessing what really happened and the possibility of an alternate ending..
Walters is amazing at setting the reader up to think one thing, then switching it all around to show you something else entirely. And from then on, you're pretty much screwed and will never be able to decide what's really gone on. I love that.
Fantastic! I can't wait to check out her other books because this was one of the best mystery/thrillers I've read. Its great strength is its depiction of the psychological ambiguities that reside in all of us.
I was requires to read this book in high school for English class. I loved the book and have been reading Minette Walters' books ever since. I consider her to be one of my favourite authors.
Really scary book. In a way like a train accident when you are transfixed on a spot, not able to move, but wanting to help, feeling ashamed to watch but not beeing able to look away...
Very eerie. Shows how an individuals perception of self worth can color their entire life.
Very good suspense.. well written , it was difficult to put down after the first chapters...
After the epilogue, I had to go back and re-read some. This book was good to the last sentence!
Did she or didn't she commit the murders?
Very good thriller.
Just need to ask 2 49 Jul 11, 2012 04:36PM
  • Simisola (Inspector Wexford, #16)
  • A Dark-Adapted Eye
  • The Distant Echo
  • In A Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10)
  • Death Comes for the Fat Man (Dalziel & Pascoe, #22)
  • Well-Schooled in Murder (Inspector Lynley, #3)
  • Exile (Garnethill, #2)
  • The Red Scream
  • Beneath the Skin
Minette Walters (born 26 September 1949) is a British mystery writer. After studying at Trevelyan College, University of Durham, she began writing in 1987 with The Ice House, which was published in 1992. She followed this with The Sculptress (1993), which received the 1994 Edgar Award for Best Novel. She has been published in 35 countries and won many awards.

The Sculptress has been adapted for tel
More about Minette Walters...
The Scold's Bridle The Ice House The Dark Room The Shape of Snakes Acid Row