A Decadent Way to Die (Savannah Reid Mystery, #16)

A Decadent Way to Die (A Savannah Reid Mystery #16)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  645 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Plus-sized P.I. Savannah Reid prides herself on cracking even the toughest cases. But her latest investigation is leaving her hungry for answers as she tries to unmask the identity of a cunning, would-be killer. His prey? A famous octogenarian with a fortune in the bank and a target on her back. . .
As the creator of the world-famous Helene doll, legendary designer Helene S...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published January 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Decadent Way to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Decadent Way to Die

Donna in Southern Maryland
First, let me say that the Savannah Reid Series is one of my favorites, and this book has all the usual characters: Savannah, Dirk, Tammy, John & Ryan, and Granny. It also has an interesting murder mystery, with all the accompanying twists and turns. But this book tackles a much more important issue ---Abuse. I can tell it's something the author has some personal experience with, and feels deeply about. It's handled in a very real way, both in what the abuser does, how the victim behaves, an...more
Kris
Wow! For a cozy this one was pretty intense. One of my favorite cozy authors and I'm glad I held out on the library waiting list for this one. It did have all the characters that make it a Savannah Reid novel - Tammy, Ryan, John, Dirk, and an appearance by Granny Reid at the end. And we all love Granny Reid! But more than just the "normal" cozy, with the who's trying to kill (or did kill) whomever, this one had a very series message too.

The message was about abuse. This is such a series subject...more
Ann
I enjoyed this book. It is the first I have read of this series and it was surprisingly good. Savannah Reid is a plus-sized investigator. She is hired by the granddaughter of Helena Strauss, a dollmaker, who has had several "accidents" and is beginning to think someone wants her dead. Savannah and her partner and a group of associates investigate to help solve the mystery. The guilty party is a little obvious but there is a very good understory to this book. I will read more of this series.
Jackie
Sometimes you just need a bit of solid fluff (sort of a contradiction in terms, but accurate, I think) to read. Something deep enough to really get into, but not so deep that you end up scratching your head trying to absorb it all. The Savannah Reid series pretty much fits the description.

I enjoy Savannah Reid - she's not too "larger than life" - just right; someone that you could share some chicken and dumplings with, or some ice cream, and be perfectly comfortable.

I've only read a couple boo...more
Babs
Ilona
A light, enjoyable read for a summer weekend. Or a cozy winter evening or two, come to that. This is my first in this series, and I really liked Savannah Reid, the cop-turned-private investigator. The mystery was interesting, the untangling of the puzzle satisfactory.

My favourite part of the book was the dynamic between Savannah and her former police partner and now friend (and maybe more-than-friend), Dirk Coulter. I've heard it's not easy to write dialogue, and goodness knows I've read enough...more
Becky
Sep 01, 2014 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: cozy
The Savannah Reid mysteries by G.A. McKevett are among the only 300+ page books I can finish in a day-and-a-half. They're compulsively readable, clever, and funny. This entry in the prolific series (#16) features a sub-plot involving domestic violence, and info in the Author's Note on where to get help for such an issue. It's a fun book with a rather surprise ending!
Mayda
What’s not to like about Savannah Reid! A Southern gal, raised with good manners instilled in her by her loving grandma, she is always polite to her elders even while pointing her Beretta at the bad guys. In this tale, an elderly doll maker seems to be targeted for death. Reminding her so much of her own granny, Savannah is determined to save her new friend and find the monster with the motive, even if this person is part of the doll maker’s twisted family tree. When Savannah’s assistant becomes...more
Holly
I didn't realize this was the sixteenth book in the Savannah Reid series. I am not reading them in order. It doesn't matter! Savannah is a Georgia girl working as a P.I. in So Cal. I get the feeling she is in her mid to late 40's. The mystery here is who is trying to kill the legendary doll designer Helene Strauss.(I kept thinking of Madame Alexander). Lots of possible suspects! The gardener, the nasty niece, the drugged out grand nephew?The author weaves a theme of domestic abuse into the story...more
Don O'goodreader
In A Decadent Way To Die by G A McKevett (pseudonym for Sonja Massie), Grandma Helene Strauss is a very rich and feisty doll maker, but yet someone is trying to kill her. Could it be granddaughter Emma with inappropriate metal-rock musician boyfriend Kyd, or niece Ada who obviously wants to take over the doll making empire, or nephew Waldo is just wants to stay high on drugs forever?

Delightful summer reading and a possible gift for that friend of yours in an inappropriate relationship.

National...more
Nicole
So just finished and not really sure what to think. Another review stated that this was a bit more intense when it came to Tammy's storyline, and I agree with that statement. Overall though, I thought the plot was weak. Unless I missed it, exactly why did the antagonist hook up with the co-conspirator? What happened with one of the victims' spouse, that was it after the fight? And what is up with Dirk? The first 14 books he was never much of a conversationalist, yet these last two books he's sud...more
Liza Larue
This Series sort reminds me of the Stephanie Plum books. But the southern charm keeps me coming back.
Susan
This is a particularly good one in the series.
Debbie
Another winner !!! Keep em coming!! :)
Philip
This is the 16th in the Savannah Reid series of mysteries and by far one of the very best. Aside from the wonderful and well-written characters of Savannah, Dirk, Ryan, John, Tammy, and of course Granny Reid, the mystery was great too. It is amazing how so much is woven into a book but aside from the mystery, there was an excellent side story of domestic abuse. Not a knock you over the head preachy story but one nonetheless that taught a most important lesson to everyone. An excellent book that...more
Amanda
Savannah sure knows how to pick'em.

She always seems to be running towards some disaster or another.

Savannah is such an incredible character, she is everything that I would love to be when I finally grow-up. Tough, brave, smart, loving, and an excellent cook.

I loved so many aspects of this novel, but my favourite would be the reasons the client gives for choosing to hire Savannah over any other PI.
Plus Helene's surprise for Savannah when the case is closed!

I can't wait to read all about Savannah'...more
Marysue Rogers
This is the first book in the series I read! And I am totally hooked. I plan to go back to the start and read the books in order! G.A. McKevett must have grown up in the south or have lots of family in the South, cause she has us down pat!!!! Savannah could be one of my family members! And Dirk, he is fabulos, his and Savannah's relationship is priceless! I felt I was right there with them only I didn't get to eat any of the good food or any of Savannah's chocolate!!! I'm on a mission to find a...more
Kat
Trisha
I knew I had read this before but didn't remember a lot of it. I loved Helene's personality. It made her such a kindred spirit for Savannah. Storyline of the murder was pretty good as well. The murderer wasn't too much of a mystery but shouldn't have been since this was a re-read. Savannah and Dirk's relationship was fun as always. The end was a bit unexpected (if you hadn't already known about it) but I really liked it. Now, I'm ready for the next book!
Susan
Private investigator Savannah Reid is hired by Emma, who's concerned for the safety of her elderly, wealthy, feisty grandmother Helene. But at least half of Savannah's mind is preoccupied with her young assistant and best friend Tammy. Something about Tammy's new boyfriend is ringing alarm bells in Savannah's ex-cop mind. Still, as Emma's case turns into murder, Savannah has to concentrate on who in Helene's dysfunctional family is a killer.
Angie
I have no idea what the title of this book has to do with the book. This is the first novel I have read in the Savannah Reid series. I thought it was good. If you have like the Stephanie Plum series or JoAnn Fluke's Hannah Swenson series - you'll think this series. Do not start with this book though. There are major, major plot developments that would be better appreciated if you had read the series.
Marcia
This is a later Savannah Reid. It has all the usual characters and a murder for Savannah & Dirk to solve. The addition of domestic abuse/battery to Tammy adds a chilling note, which sets up the second climax. Dirk finally admits and acts upon his feelings for Savannah. This has been hinted at in previous stories. Sometimes, it takes a critical situation to spur action.
Ainslie
One of my favourite cosy mystery series. It's not great literature, it's not particularly clever plotting. It's the characters which make this series for me. Sometimes you just need something nice. And this series is, despite some of the subject matter.

And just let me say... Finally. Finally!!!! I'll be interested to see how this plays out.
Rebecca Talkie
This is the latest in a series of books with the pudgy former policewoman, Savannah Reid, as the main character. I like the character because she has flaws as does her cast of friends. No perfect people running around these pages. The people also grow and change which many detective novels don't seem to allow. Looking forward to the next installment.
Krista
Once you start reading the series, you can't wait to read the next one!

All of the Savannah Reid mysteries are wonderfully entertaining and hard to put down!
I can't wait for her new book to come out in early 2014!
Robin
I finished this book, should have read in sequence since there was some action that happened in a prior book that I wasn't aware or informed about. Most of the same cast of characters in this book. Most of the Reid contingent were in this one. I love books that show interactions between a whole mess of people. This one did not disapoint me.
judy
Not my favorite book in this "plus-size Southern detective" series. Not nearly enough chocolate and no recipes. (yes, I do actually read this series because Savannah never eats anything remotely boring, low calorie or healthy). Still, if you read this series or have read even enough of them to know the characters, this volume is a must read.
Christine
WOW- this book was all around great. I fell in love with Helene- what a lady and giving the doll to Savannah- ahhh. It was sad to see Tammy in her situation and Savannah having such a hard time trying not to tell her what to do but just being there for her. The ending- wow. I can not wait for the next book.
Victoria
This book just wasn't very well written, at all. The issues it touched on were very important and powerful issues, but this book was written in a very poor way. I didn't like it, and I don't want to read anymore of these books. The writing style was that of a child, just about adult issues.
Mansfield Public ...: A Decadent Way to Die Review by Nicole Potter 1 1 Aug 02, 2013 10:16AM
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)
  • Corpse on the Cob (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #5)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • English Tea Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #17)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery #3)
  • A Pizza To Die For (Pizza Lovers, #3)
  • Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)
  • Chili con Carnage
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
  • Antiques Disposal (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #6)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery #2)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored over fifty published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed SAVANNAH REID MYSTERIES under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett.

Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers. Her earthy humor and fast-paced plots delight her fans, while critics applaud her offbeat characterizations and inci...more
More about G.A. McKevett...
Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery #1) Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8) Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery #2) Murder a la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10) Buried in Buttercream (Savannah Reid Mystery, #17)