Start by marking “A Decadent Way to Die (Savannah Reid Mystery, #16)” as Want to Read:
A Decadent Way to Die (Savannah Reid Mystery, #16)

A Decadent Way to Die (A Savannah Reid Mystery #16)

Plus-sized P.I. Savannah Reid prides herself on cracking even the toughest cases. But her latest investigation is leaving her hungry for answers as she tries to unmask the identity of a cunning, would-be killer. His prey? A famous octogenarian with a fortune in the bank and a target on her back. . .
As the creator of the world-famous Helene doll, legendary designer Helene S
Published February 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published January 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Decadent Way to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Decadent Way to Die

Donna in Southern Maryland
Feb 15, 2011 Donna in Southern Maryland rated it it was amazing
First, let me say that the Savannah Reid Series is one of my favorites, and this book has all the usual characters: Savannah, Dirk, Tammy, John & Ryan, and Granny. It also has an interesting murder mystery, with all the accompanying twists and turns. But this book tackles a much more important issue ---Abuse. I can tell it's something the author has some personal experience with, and feels deeply about. It's handled in a very real way, both in what the abuser does, how the victim behaves, ...more
Kris
Apr 03, 2012 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! For a cozy this one was pretty intense. One of my favorite cozy authors and I'm glad I held out on the library waiting list for this one. It did have all the characters that make it a Savannah Reid novel - Tammy, Ryan, John, Dirk, and an appearance by Granny Reid at the end. And we all love Granny Reid! But more than just the "normal" cozy, with the who's trying to kill (or did kill) whomever, this one had a very series message too.

The message was about abuse. This is such a series subject
Ann
Sep 17, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is the first I have read of this series and it was surprisingly good. Savannah Reid is a plus-sized investigator. She is hired by the granddaughter of Helena Strauss, a dollmaker, who has had several "accidents" and is beginning to think someone wants her dead. Savannah and her partner and a group of associates investigate to help solve the mystery. The guilty party is a little obvious but there is a very good understory to this book. I will read more of this series.
Megan Roberts
Oct 11, 2016 Megan Roberts rated it really liked it
Cute characters! Will read more in this series.
Jackie
Apr 19, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it
Sometimes you just need a bit of solid fluff (sort of a contradiction in terms, but accurate, I think) to read. Something deep enough to really get into, but not so deep that you end up scratching your head trying to absorb it all. The Savannah Reid series pretty much fits the description.

I enjoy Savannah Reid - she's not too "larger than life" - just right; someone that you could share some chicken and dumplings with, or some ice cream, and be perfectly comfortable.

I've only read a couple boo
Barbara
Sep 03, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, mystery-cozy
Ilona
Jul 21, 2013 Ilona rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-mystery, 2013
A light, enjoyable read for a summer weekend. Or a cozy winter evening or two, come to that. This is my first in this series, and I really liked Savannah Reid, the cop-turned-private investigator. The mystery was interesting, the untangling of the puzzle satisfactory.

My favourite part of the book was the dynamic between Savannah and her former police partner and now friend (and maybe more-than-friend), Dirk Coulter. I've heard it's not easy to write dialogue, and goodness knows I've read enough
Sharon
Nov 16, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
A new writer for me--and a new sleuth. Savannah Reid, former policewoman turned P. I. is engaged to discover who is trying to murder the wealthy, world famous doll designer, Helene Strauss. As clues unfold and other murders take place, Savannah and her friend Detective Dirk Coulter, find they have more in common than mayhem an d food. Savannah's assistant, Tammy Hart, adds her bit of drama to the story when she falls in "love" with a handsome but controlling, abusive man. Author McKevett appends ...more
Don O'goodreader
Sep 24, 2013 Don O'goodreader rated it really liked it
In A Decadent Way To Die by G A McKevett (pseudonym for Sonja Massie), Grandma Helene Strauss is a very rich and feisty doll maker, but yet someone is trying to kill her. Could it be granddaughter Emma with inappropriate metal-rock musician boyfriend Kyd, or niece Ada who obviously wants to take over the doll making empire, or nephew Waldo is just wants to stay high on drugs forever?

Delightful summer reading and a possible gift for that friend of yours in an inappropriate relationship.

National
Nicole
Jul 19, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
So just finished and not really sure what to think. Another review stated that this was a bit more intense when it came to Tammy's storyline, and I agree with that statement. Overall though, I thought the plot was weak. Unless I missed it, exactly why did the antagonist hook up with the co-conspirator? What happened with one of the victims' spouse, that was it after the fight? And what is up with Dirk? The first 14 books he was never much of a conversationalist, yet these last two books he's ...more
Mayda
Feb 07, 2012 Mayda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance, cozies
What’s not to like about Savannah Reid! A Southern gal, raised with good manners instilled in her by her loving grandma, she is always polite to her elders even while pointing her Beretta at the bad guys. In this tale, an elderly doll maker seems to be targeted for death. Reminding her so much of her own granny, Savannah is determined to save her new friend and find the monster with the motive, even if this person is part of the doll maker’s twisted family tree. When Savannah’s assistant becomes ...more
Holly
Oct 12, 2013 Holly rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-books, mystery, 2013
I didn't realize this was the sixteenth book in the Savannah Reid series. I am not reading them in order. It doesn't matter! Savannah is a Georgia girl working as a P.I. in So Cal. I get the feeling she is in her mid to late 40's. The mystery here is who is trying to kill the legendary doll designer Helene Strauss.(I kept thinking of Madame Alexander). Lots of possible suspects! The gardener, the nasty niece, the drugged out grand nephew?The author weaves a theme of domestic abuse into the ...more
Marysue Rogers
Aug 11, 2013 Marysue Rogers rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the series I read! And I am totally hooked. I plan to go back to the start and read the books in order! G.A. McKevett must have grown up in the south or have lots of family in the South, cause she has us down pat!!!! Savannah could be one of my family members! And Dirk, he is fabulos, his and Savannah's relationship is priceless! I felt I was right there with them only I didn't get to eat any of the good food or any of Savannah's chocolate!!! I'm on a mission to find a ...more
Philip
Aug 13, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing
This is the 16th in the Savannah Reid series of mysteries and by far one of the very best. Aside from the wonderful and well-written characters of Savannah, Dirk, Ryan, John, Tammy, and of course Granny Reid, the mystery was great too. It is amazing how so much is woven into a book but aside from the mystery, there was an excellent side story of domestic abuse. Not a knock you over the head preachy story but one nonetheless that taught a most important lesson to everyone. An excellent book that ...more
Amanda
Jan 05, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Savannah sure knows how to pick'em.

She always seems to be running towards some disaster or another.

Savannah is such an incredible character, she is everything that I would love to be when I finally grow-up. Tough, brave, smart, loving, and an excellent cook.

I loved so many aspects of this novel, but my favourite would be the reasons the client gives for choosing to hire Savannah over any other PI.
Plus Helene's surprise for Savannah when the case is closed!

I can't wait to read all about Savannah'
Kat
May 23, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing
Trisha
Jun 01, 2012 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew I had read this before but didn't remember a lot of it. I loved Helene's personality. It made her such a kindred spirit for Savannah. Storyline of the murder was pretty good as well. The murderer wasn't too much of a mystery but shouldn't have been since this was a re-read. Savannah and Dirk's relationship was fun as always. The end was a bit unexpected (if you hadn't already known about it) but I really liked it. Now, I'm ready for the next book!
Laurie Allin
Jun 13, 2016 Laurie Allin rated it it was ok
Been a long time since I've read from this series which might be why this was a hard one to get into but about halfway through the book the pace did finally pick up and I found myself wanting to know the outcome.

Domestic abuse storyline was a tough one to stomach, but so is domestic abuse in general. Otherwise, repeated attempts on the doll heiresses life was more of a backstory to me on this one as I cared more about what was going on in Tammy's life than their clients.
Susan
Apr 10, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Private investigator Savannah Reid is hired by Emma, who's concerned for the safety of her elderly, wealthy, feisty grandmother Helene. But at least half of Savannah's mind is preoccupied with her young assistant and best friend Tammy. Something about Tammy's new boyfriend is ringing alarm bells in Savannah's ex-cop mind. Still, as Emma's case turns into murder, Savannah has to concentrate on who in Helene's dysfunctional family is a killer.
Angie
Apr 28, 2013 Angie rated it liked it
I have no idea what the title of this book has to do with the book. This is the first novel I have read in the Savannah Reid series. I thought it was good. If you have like the Stephanie Plum series or JoAnn Fluke's Hannah Swenson series - you'll think this series. Do not start with this book though. There are major, major plot developments that would be better appreciated if you had read the series.
Robin
Oct 21, 2012 Robin rated it it was amazing
I finished this book, should have read in sequence since there was some action that happened in a prior book that I wasn't aware or informed about. Most of the same cast of characters in this book. Most of the Reid contingent were in this one. I love books that show interactions between a whole mess of people. This one did not disapoint me.
Becky
Sep 01, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
The Savannah Reid mysteries by G.A. McKevett are among the only 300+ page books I can finish in a day-and-a-half. They're compulsively readable, clever, and funny. This entry in the prolific series (#16) features a sub-plot involving domestic violence, and info in the Author's Note on where to get help for such an issue. It's a fun book with a rather surprise ending!
judy
Apr 23, 2011 judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Not my favorite book in this "plus-size Southern detective" series. Not nearly enough chocolate and no recipes. (yes, I do actually read this series because Savannah never eats anything remotely boring, low calorie or healthy). Still, if you read this series or have read even enough of them to know the characters, this volume is a must read.
Marcia
May 07, 2013 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a later Savannah Reid. It has all the usual characters and a murder for Savannah & Dirk to solve. The addition of domestic abuse/battery to Tammy adds a chilling note, which sets up the second climax. Dirk finally admits and acts upon his feelings for Savannah. This has been hinted at in previous stories. Sometimes, it takes a critical situation to spur action.
Christine
Jan 22, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing
WOW- this book was all around great. I fell in love with Helene- what a lady and giving the doll to Savannah- ahhh. It was sad to see Tammy in her situation and Savannah having such a hard time trying not to tell her what to do but just being there for her. The ending- wow. I can not wait for the next book.
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
HB-B @ 2/11, 5/11. A Savannah Reid Mystery by G. A. McKevett (Sonja Massie). When attempts are made on the life of Helene Strauss, a world famous doll-maker and octogenarian, P.I. Reid is called in to solve the mystery of who is trying to kill her. When 2 people die in Helene's hot tub, Savannah must step up to search. Okay
Ainslie
Aug 18, 2011 Ainslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
One of my favourite cosy mystery series. It's not great literature, it's not particularly clever plotting. It's the characters which make this series for me. Sometimes you just need something nice. And this series is, despite some of the subject matter.

And just let me say... Finally. Finally!!!! I'll be interested to see how this plays out.
Rebecca Talkie
Aug 24, 2011 Rebecca Talkie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the latest in a series of books with the pudgy former policewoman, Savannah Reid, as the main character. I like the character because she has flaws as does her cast of friends. No perfect people running around these pages. The people also grow and change which many detective novels don't seem to allow. Looking forward to the next installment.
Jamie-lynn Hazzard
Apr 13, 2015 Jamie-lynn Hazzard rated it really liked it
This was actually my first foray into this series. Enough background was given so that I didn't feel like I was missing anything. This was a fun little mystery and I look forward to reading more in the series.
Susan
Jun 18, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
The murders in this book seemed like a backdrop rather than the actual plot. A lot of the book centered around the theme of domestic abuse. I didn't see the ending coming and might read the next book to see how this plot twist develops.
Mansfield Public ...: A Decadent Way to Die Review by Nicole Potter 1 1 Aug 02, 2013 10:16AM
  • Stay At Home Dead (Stay At Home Dad Mystery #1)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Antiques Disposal (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #6)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • Spider Web (Benni Harper, #15)
  • Basil Instinct (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #2)
  • English Tea Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #17)
  • The Chocolate Book Bandit (A Chocoholic Mystery, #13)
  • Corpse on the Cob (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #5)
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Dusted To Death (Charlotte LaRue Mystery #8)
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored over fifty published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed SAVANNAH REID MYSTERIES under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett.

Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers. Her earthy humor and fast-paced plots delight her fans, while critics applaud her offbeat characterizations and inci
More about G.A. McKevett...

A Savannah Reid Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)