Start by marking “The Other Half of Me” as Want to Read:
The Other Half of Me

The Other Half of Me

JENNY FITZGERALD HAS been outside the huddle, trying to fit in to her sports-obsessed family. The only time she knows the score is when she's holding an egg-carton palette and painting on a canvas, but even then she feels as though something is missing.

Unlike her three younger siblings, Jenny knows her biological father only as Donor #142.

As Jenny's 16th summer draws to a
Published November 13th 2007 by Laurel Leaf (first published September 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Half of Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Half of Me

Lacey
I read Emily Franklin's Liner Notes a couple years ago and absolutely fell in love with it and it's beautiful words. I didn't expect anything less with The Other Half of Me. It was wonderfully written and a truly engaging story, if not a tad bit predictable. But, hey, what's wrong with predictable. I loved Jenny, the main character. And swooned for her relationship with Tate (everyone wants a sensitive, fun-loving guy, right?) It was an interesting change of pace when you added in the character ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Jenny's a painter in a family full of sports lovers. She can't catch a ball to save her life. Is it any wonder she feels like an outsider in her own family?

While she has always known that she's the product of a sperm donor, it never really made much difference until she reads an article about tracking down relations. Now she can't let go of the idea.

Could there be a sibling out there, just like her? Is Jenny brave enough to meet her half-sister o
Susan  Dunn
This one sounds really interesting. Here's the blurb from our catalog: "Feeling out of place in her athletic family, artistic sixteen-year-old Jenny Fitzgerald, whose biological father was a sperm donor, finds her half sister through the Sibling Donor Registry and contacts her, hoping that this will finally make her feel complete".

Unfortunately the book didn't live up to it's promise. It was just OK. The bio sister comes to visit and everyone likes her better than Jenny, so Jenny gets all uptigh
Ying
Dec 06, 2008 Ying rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I thought this was a pretty good book because there were really times where you could actually feel emotional, especially the climax of the story. I also liked how they tied art into the story but there were some parts I didn't like. For one, the Jenny's romance was too sudden and it seemed like it didn't really fit. I also didn't like the ending and Alexa's character a lot. But in spite of these, I still liked this book a lot and feel it will make a good read.
Sophie D
Aug 10, 2015 Sophie D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was a topic id really never seen before in YA. I liked the idea and the characters were all well thought out and planned. The only let down was the main character I feel like she was unable to talk to anyone and face her problems. Overall though I really enjoyed this book!
Nian
Jun 15, 2008 Nian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Though I remember Emily Franklin’s debut series, The Principles of Love, not entirely astounding me with its slow pace in the development of her love interests and overall story, I quite liked the tone of her pieces. This one didn’t disappoint—and her writing has gotten better (from what I can remember, anyway), so I’m really surprised and delighted.

Jenny Fitzgerald comes from an all around athletic family. Her parents are interested in yard work and running, her sisters Sierra and Sage are dan
Christine Zarah
Jun 19, 2012 Christine Zarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine Zarah by: elisha
"That's what the best part of life is, those days or minutes you can't ever frame or paint beforehand."

Copied from my LJ blog:
(view spoiler)
Mar 26, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I found an old ARC of this on my bookshelf a couple weeks ago and decided to finally read it. I was pleasantly surprised! I've been yearning for realism in my novels lately and this one of one The Other Half of Me's strongest points.

Jenny and Alexa were wonderful characters to play opposite each other. Jenny, the self-concious forgotten sister vs Alexa, the outgoing loved only child. I appreciated how Alexa filled a void and was able to see missed moments in Jenny's family life that Jenny had ne
Ciarra
I really enjoyed The Other Half of Me; it was a great "one-dayer". The plot was progressive enough to keep you reading and wondering about what would happen, although a bit predictable. The main character Jenny’s jealousy and exclusion from her perfect athletic family left her seeking out someone who might understand, someone who shared her biological father: Donor 142. Upon locating her half sister named Alexa, whose father was also Donor 142, Jenny imagines this perfect sibling relationship th ...more
 Lesi H
The Other Half of Me offers a new twist on the familiar theme of searching for identity. After years of feeling like she doesn’t fit in with her athletically-inclined family, 16-year old Jenny decides to search the Donor Sibling Registry for any other siblings she may have, courtesy of donor #142, her biological father. Jenny is certain that finding a half-sister or brother will erase her feeling of emptiness. Predictably, her union with newly discovered sister Alexa is not the idealized one she ...more
Michelle
Jan 11, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Shelves: young-adult
Jenny is a teenager with some typical teenage problems.

She is struggling to fit in with her athletic family. She wants them to be more supportive of her interests. She is jealous of her twin sisters’ close relationship and also feels that nobody understands her. In her family of 6, she feels lonely.

Jenny loves to paint. The big art show is coming up and she wants to paint something good enough to get into the show.

She has a crush on Tate, and now he seems to like her too.

Jenny also has some pr
Polly
Jan 29, 2010 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The other half of me remind me of a book I read quite a long time ago named My So-Called Family by Courtney Sheinmel. Both of this book starts out with the protagonist realize their biological father is a sperm donor. They feel left out and there’s always a wall that connects them to their family and half siblings. After that, the 2 protagonists from the two books started their search of their father online and predictably they found out they have more siblings out there. However, The Other Half ...more
Kelly
Sep 19, 2008 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lauren
Oct 13, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet - the Other Half of Me is an outstanding novel about the life, the love, and the secrets. Jenny Fitzgerald is normal - lives in a normal family with a jock brother and younger twin sisters, a mom and a dad. She goes to a regular school, a public high school. But, her biological father is donor 142.
Tate Brodour, a guy Jenny has been secretly lusting after forever, finally starts to show interest. And now, with Tate ready to support her, she has discovered she has a sister. HALF sister. But
Torreon Evans
Jennifer grew up knowing her dad was a donor. Realizing the differences in herself compared to her family, she decides it might be a good idea to find out if she has any biological family members still alive. Jennifer finds out about a long-lost sister. When Jenifer looks back on life, she finds some very interesting things about herself. I really liked this novel it just grabbed my attention in the library. I loved how Jenifer was so great in the book. By great I mean it was really her moving t ...more
Mona
Esteln
Oct 13, 2011 Esteln rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that The other half of me by Emily Fraklin was really good. I thought it was good because she explaines the charechters so well that you fell like you know them. She als builds alot of suspence in the story, so you never really know what is going to come next. The other half of me is also a heart worming book, talking about love, family, friendship and, having faith in you and every body else. Emily is an amazing author and, I really enjoy reading her books. The other half of me is a g ...more
John
May 04, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Library read. <3 I love picking up the little Laurel-Leaf paperback editions. They look so cute and make the reading go by faster for some reason. Anyway, after reading Emily's writerly combos with Brendan Halpin in Half-Life of Planets and Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance, I figured this would be a good book to pick up. It had a good dose of reality, an artistic heroine (which I have a weakness for), and some cool stuff that went on in terms of being a donor child. The plot itself was predictable ...more
Melissa Dwyer
Originally rated G by Cheryl Dofner
Many things seem improbable, such as Jenny finding Alexa on almost her first search. Jenny had a crush on Tate for a long time and suddenly, when they speak for the first time, they end up dating. The story has many good lessons: perseverance, love and trust. Jenny learns to let others into her life and to accept herself. The book was not outstanding but can help readers look at how their actions affect the ways they are treated by others.
Leira Carola
Having gone through a similar experience as the main character, I identified a lot with the first half of the book. However, during the second half, she became unpleasant. That might've been because the book is predictable and the readers can figure out what's going on while the main character is oblivious. At some point I just wanted to finish the book. The ending was almost exactly as I predicted. It's not a bad book but it isn't a great one either.
Kathy
Feb 18, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, realisticfiction
In a family obsessed with sports, Jenny Fitzgerald is obsessed with art and painting. Everybody else is on the family team except for her, the odd man out. She is also the only one conceived by in-vitro fertilization. Then a growing relationship w/ her long-time jock crush convinces her that if she finds other siblings with the same father, maybe she'll find the closeness that she sees in the rest of her family.
Melody
Nov 23, 2007 Melody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this story about a girl whose mom used anonymous donor sperm to get pregnant, and the girl's discovery of a sibling through the Donor Sibling Registry. I'm sorry to say that I found the secondary characters to be virtual cardboard cut-outs, the situations mostly unbelievable. Franklin seems to be trying too hard for an interesting plot. Still, I'm glad to see a donor-conceived kid in a book, any book.
Faith
Sep 14, 2007 Faith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
this is the story of a girl trying to find her place within her family. The twist is she is the daughter of doner # 142 and her mom; she has three half siblings and her father adopted her. when she meets her half sister (another child from doner #142) it isn't at all what she expected.
while at times predictable, it was a sweet story that is sure to resonate with YA's coming of age knowing that they weren't conceived in a "traditional" way.
Anna Motteler

I've read a book almost like this before, so it's kind of like a cliche' to me.

Jenny has the "sporty" family, yet she's an artistic type.
You know the drill. Not very exciting.

If you are unlike me and haven't read many books like this, I recommend it, but if you have, I wouldn't read it.
Goldie Marie
I only picked this book up because I still had 2 hrs for my shift and nothing to do, oh yep wait that book was worse than nothing to do. The characters, plotline, and development of their roles throughout the story was dismall. They were amazingly fited to the main characters views of the plot all in all I was dissapointed and should've spent my time doodling.
Emily Nurenberg
Sep 10, 2015 Emily Nurenberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good book! Definitely one of my favorites! Its about a girl who feels out of place in her family. She wants to become an artist but her family doesn't support her. And he best friend just moved away. So she is going through a hard time! Her family doesn't even notice that she is hurting. But she slowly tries to get her energy up to become a happier person.
Stephanie Weeks
Pretty good book! Picked it up on a whim. I loved all the character's and could relate to Jenny's problems. The ending was really well done although there was so much buildup and talk about school starting again and then the book just ended.

Anyhow, reminds myself the importance of having a hobby and forming a separate identity from my family.

THe author pic craps me up. hehehe.
Lea Ivy
Nov 01, 2010 Lea Ivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is definitely a good read, i enjoyed reading this! this is about a girl finding her long lost sister and with the way she has been living, everything changes. she feels that her half sister is taking everything away from her.

this book is a really warm, family - related story. i would love to give this book as a present to one of my cousins or best friends.
Ana
Apr 10, 2010 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
those anyone know if there might me. is. or whatever, a sequel for this book.. imean i wanna know who the 'other' one is and how tate did when school started :) but in anyway i totally LOVE this book :D
Kimberly Erskine
The Other Half of Me was a really interesting book. Very modern especially with the increasing popularity of in vitro fertilization. I bet within the next 20 years a lot of kids will be looking themselves up on donor regesteries to find siblings and stuff.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Boy vs. Girl
  • The Problem with Paradise
  • Baygirl
  • What Momma Left Me
  • The Noah Confessions
  • Vidalia in Paris
  • High Dive
  • The Queen of Second Place (The Queen Companion Novels Book 1)
  • POP!
  • Skin Deep
  • Buzz Kill
  • The Taker
  • Love Blind
Growing up, Emily Franklin wanted to be “a singing, tap-dancing doctor who writes books.”

Having learned early on that she has little to no dancing ability, she left the tap world behind, studied at Oxford University, and received an undergraduate degree concentrating in writing and neuroscience from Sarah Lawrence College. Though she gave serious thought to a career in medicine, eventually that ca
More about Emily Franklin...

“That's what the best par of life is, those days or minutes you can't ever frame or paint beforehand” 10 likes
“it's funny how you can't exactly pick your crush. well, you can, but once it get hold of you, it's hard to shake off. ” 8 likes