Start by marking “Doctor Who Visual Dictionary (Dr Who)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who Visual Dictionary (Dr Who)

Doctor Who Visual Dictionary (Dr Who)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  544 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
This dictionary is a guide to all the characters, aliens, monsters, locations and technology of the new 'Doctor Who' series. New photography reveals more in-depth details, from aliens to the demise of the Time Lords.
Unknown Binding, 71 pages
Published March 5th 2008 by Not Avail (first published May 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who Visual Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who Visual Dictionary

Travis Lewis
Jan 19, 2011 Travis Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary mostly deals with the 2005 revival of the show, so any events and people in the show prior to that are most likely missing. However there is still a wealth of information contained in the book covering pretty much everybody and everything that has happened since the show was revived. This is definitely a must have if you're a Doctor Who fan.
Philip
As a former graphic designer, I've always loved Random House's DK books - lots of pictures, not a lot of text, great design - and this is an EXCELLENT addition to their long-running series, (I bought my first one - SKELETON - back in 1988).

Some reviewers complain that this book focuses too much on the 11th and 12th Doctors, but I only started watching the show with Matt Smith (and am equally enjoying Peter Capaldi), and so this was in fact a positive for me - I just don't care about anything ear
Erik
Nov 11, 2010 Erik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The proliferation of Doctor Who books continues unabated by the BBC as they have reissued a new edition of DW: The Visual Dictionary, updating it to include the Eleventh Doctor’s latest shenanigans, adventures, monsters, and allies. I would argue that it’s an improvement on the first edition which came out shortly after season three, when Martha Jones was the Tenth Doctor’s companion.

The writing staff of this new edition kept many of the original entries from the first – which was smart, as it
Andy Hickman
Neil Corry, Jacqueline Rayner, Andrew Darling, Kerrie Dougherty, David John, Simon Beecroft, “Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary” (NY: DK, 2010).

Other than a small profile picture of each of the Doctors on page 13 this book is about the BBC TV series from 2005 until 2009, although only the 10th and 11th Doctors are referenced.

It is a compilation of images, facts and summaries of the Whoniverse's population and technology drawn from the TV episodes but with no mention of actors, directors, writers
Heather Hile
Feb 16, 2016 Heather Hile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I thought this Visual Dictionary would be a Volume 2 and continue with the chronological information not contained in the last dictionary. I was wrong. This book contains all the information from the time of Doctors 9 - 11 up to the episode ‘The Big Bang’. I skipped many pages because they were the exact things I’d read in the last book. The information that was in the last book is quoted verbatim and summarized a little. Then we also get the unseen details from the 10th Doctor’s specials and th ...more
Christie
I started watching this series about a year ago and pretty much fell in love with it from the start so when I saw that my library had this book I had to have it. The book is a great companion to the show. Its filled with all sorts of facts that one wouldn't necessarily pick up in the course of the show, such as the Doctor's body temperature is 59 degrees. Its also a nice refresher for whats happened in the last 5 or 6 seasons of the show. There was a lot I had forgotten about. Its in the regular ...more
Erik
Mar 19, 2010 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to Doctor Who a bit half-assed when it first piqued my interest in the late 80s when I attempted to follow some of John Pertwee’s and then Sylvester McCoy’s adventures courtesy of KBTC. But as they were relatively random airings that failed to account for the fact that most of Doctor Who needs to be sequentially told, my interest waned pretty quickly. As a result of being disappointed with what I thought was a promising premise, I relegated the cult BBC show to the dustbin of uninterestin ...more
Charlie Avocado
Poorly organized, painfully simple and dull. Was hoping for things not revealed on the show, or interesting tidbits. Didn't really get that. Would love my time back. Could have been so much better. Didn't care for half of the images they picked either. Did find it hilarious that Twelve shows up in the book at least twice, and yet they never show Nine, and obviously it's written before Eleven.
Jordan
Jun 24, 2015 Jordan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
Okay, so the two star rating is more of a personal thing than a commentary on the quality of the work. It's a great book. For what it is. Which is extremely focused on the twelfth Doctor and the other new Doctors. I gave it two stars because there was hardly any mention of the older series and older Doctors. I know it's impossible to fit everything Doctor Who into one book, but it would have been nice to see some more references. The section on the Great Intelligence could have mentioned the Doc ...more
Jeni Enjaian
I seriously wish I could have rated this book higher. If I based my rating solely on my experience, the rating would be a 5. Anything Dr. Who related is a 5 in my book. :)
However, the actual writing and structure of the book leaves much to be desired. Though the book is a "visual dictionary", it is not organized alphabetically. If one is just reading through the book (as I was this time) the non-alphabetical arrangement is not as important. However, if one wanted to use this book as a reference,
Danika at The Lesbrary
It's hard to rate something like this. It didn't change my life or anything, but for what it is, it's well done. More detailed than I expected, but it's definitely New Who based, and specifically much more focused on the Eleventh Doctor.
Nicholas Whyte
Oct 21, 2007 Nicholas Whyte rated it it was amazing
http://nhw.livejournal.com/903592.html[return][return]Back in my day, we had to be satisfied with the almost-all-text The Making of Doctor Who. Kids these days can get this brilliant Dorling Kindersley illustrated book all about the Doctor, and featuring all the monsters from the first and second seasons, plus the Judoon (but nothing else from Season Three as far as I noticed). Perfect gift for the young Who fan; maybe also for the less young Who fan. (And one of the labelled components in the T ...more
Clueing4looks
Aug 08, 2014 Clueing4looks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is a very good book, with some great facts about Doctor Who! And now I know more about Doctor Who aliens!
Addie
Dec 07, 2015 Addie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay! I likes Doctor Who! Makes me want to watch the episodes I haven't seen yet with the new doctor! I'm such a geek...
Carlos Vallarino
Spent a whole afternoon enjoying this book. Knew some facts and others not.
Kelly Waters
May 30, 2013 Kelly Waters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All whovians
I have to admit as much as I love doctor who, and as cool as this book was I was expecting it to be better. This book mainly focused on Matt Smith Amy Pond and Rory which made me mad. I was hoping for more about all the companions and more of the doctors. For example they wasted two pages to describe the town that the ponds lived in where some companions that did not even make it in to this book could have been.

However besides that I thought the rest of the book was really cool, and it was put t
Hanna
Jul 29, 2014 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty good basic book with the tenth doctor (and mention of ninth).
Heather Hile
Shelves: children-s-books
I liked seeing the photos of sets, and props; it was nice to see more details. This version of the book covers all of the 9th Doctor's episodes and the 10th Doctor's episodes up to "The Next Doctor."
Adeela
May 04, 2015 Adeela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC
T.M. Carper
This guide to the world and creatures of the BBC's hit show, "Doctor Who", focuses on the Tenth Doctor, while mentioning creatures from series 1 through series 4. It also goes indepth as to the inside of the TARDIS and the history and family of the Doctor's various companions (Rose, Martha, Donna, Jack). A neat look into the world of the new Doctor Who with full-color photographs. Easy to read, even for younger fans, but interesting enough that older fans will enjoy it as well.
Paige
Jan 07, 2014 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
It's a really beautifully designed book. It just looks at Doctor Who during a certain time period and jumps around within that time period. It's a "dictionary," but it's not in any kind of order. I think it'd be more helpful to have a dictionary of the earlier Doctor Who instead of episodes that are so readily available everywhere.
Anneli
Jan 21, 2015 Anneli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one.
Fitting for Doctor Who fans of all ages.
Well done and a great look back across 8 Series since it's continuation in 2005.
Less about the story of The Doctor's life but more of the facts of the Universe's population and technology.

Also greatly illustrated with lots of pictures, large and small.
Jessica
Feb 09, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. As a Whovian, this book served as a reminder of most of the new series. There didn't seem to be much information about any of the doctors before 10, just a snippet. Also, there should have been more about Rose. All in all a good book. Kept me entertained. Will re-read.
Paul Warner
Apr 14, 2013 Paul Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Encyclopedia for all Whovians with visuals and details of major characters, creatures, companions, enemies, places, objects, ships, & more -- covering the eras of Rose Tyler through the epic Pandorica episode. Full of all sorts of Timey-Wimey wibbly wobbly cool stuff!
Kurt Criscione
Jan 02, 2013 Kurt Criscione rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sweet, though once again geared more to current series rather than the show as a whole... though i have to say there are some nice sidebars that mostly get the older information right (few things off with the Daleks and the Cybermen, etc)
Thomas
Great presentation and gorgeously done, but it ultimately kind of amounts to a rehash of the episodes in the new series. Fun for serious hardcore Dr. Who fans but I'm not so sure it really brought much to my experience of the series.
Jessica
Feb 05, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly great resource for Doctor Who nerds. You get to learn cool obscure things like the Doctor's body temp being only 59-61 degrees. Who knew? The unfortunate thing is that is mainly a resource for the Doctors 9-11.
Alex
Nov 27, 2015 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! This covers a lot of the monsters from Series 1-5, the TARDIS in detail (we finally find out what all the controls mean!!), a lot of the companions explained... this is really a must buy!
Stacy
May 10, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I was a decent Whovian.

I was wrong.

I had absolutely no idea how much I had missed in the shows. I now consider myself properly educated, thanks to this book.
Kelsey Burke
Jan 23, 2014 Kelsey Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this, along with the character encyclopedia, for Christmas. The pictures were fantastic and the back stories and descriptions continue to amaze me.
  • Doctor Who Encyclopedia