Start by marking “The Surprising Way to a Stronger Marriage: How the Power of One Changes Everything” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The most significant act of love we can do for our spouse is the single act of taking personal responsibility--or "the power of one." We cannot reach satisfaction in our marriage relationships if we don't first look at ourselves and see where we need to change. Personal responsibility is the fuel that drives the actions of a healthy marriage.Usually, each spouse blames the ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Surprising Way to a Stronger Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surprising Way to a Stronger Marriage

Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Sep 30, 2011 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it really liked it
I love the concept of personal accountability or responsibility. I teach my children that they are responsible for their actions and their choices. Michael and Amy Smalley share this same belief in their book. There are two people involved in a marriage (well, actually three including God), but individually we can strengthen and improve our marriages.

With short chapters, and challenges and scriptures, the Smalley's have written a terrific book full of wisdom and insights. The power of one person
Michelle Padrelanan
Jun 23, 2011 Michelle Padrelanan rated it really liked it
There are things that God brings our way at just the right time in our lives. That’s what the book The Surprising Way to a Stronger Marriage by Michael and Amy Smalley is to me. At a time when hubby and I are going through some struggles, this book arrived. It did not look too interesting to me at first. In fact, I wondered why there’s a mirror in the cover. Since this is a book about marriage, shouldn’t the cover have a picture of a couple in it?

After reading the first chapter, I was hooked. I
Mim
Jul 31, 2014 Mim rated it really liked it
This is definitely a good book with a lot of principals pack in to a short read. Some of it is written light hearted. I love the transparency of the authors in their own marriage. Ultimately we must remember in order to change anything in our relationships we only have the power to change ourselves. In taking personal responsibility and focusing on changing ourselves instead of our spouse, we give him/her the freedom and inspiration to change too.
Bryan Vashus
Dec 19, 2014 Bryan Vashus rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. This might be the best first book to give someone wanting to improve their marriage. It establishes the right mindset and thinking towards marriage. Then all other books just might work better after this one has been read.
Dave Stadel
Aug 27, 2014 Dave Stadel rated it really liked it
Great book with an emphasis on personal responsibility & change. The book was written by Michael and Amy and each would each interject a personal story, at seemingly random times. This gave the book a loose, conversational feel which I liked.
Emily Sawyer
Apr 17, 2013 Emily Sawyer rated it really liked it
What an awesome book!! A great, well-needed slap in the face. Reading an ouchie book, and applying the principles, means there will be personal growth! Definitely one to keep on the nightstand to refer back to as needed.
Cathy Ankenman
Jun 10, 2013 Cathy Ankenman rated it it was amazing
This book is very easy to read and is very helpful with issues in a marriage that are misunderstood. I personally prefer the King James version of the bible, but to each their own.
Katharine K
May 09, 2011 Katharine K rated it really liked it
A bit religious for me, but uses quotes from the Bible that can be related to everyday life. Good relationship strengthening ideas.
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Joann M Laurin
Joann M Laurin marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
ZOEY
ZOEY marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Janessa
Janessa is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2015
Kirk Ash
Kirk Ash marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Jaime Cornelius
Jaime Cornelius rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Janis Lilly
Janis Lilly rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Joe Defraga
Joe Defraga rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Lisa Oden
Lisa Oden rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
stephen r forte
stephen r forte marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Leighann
Leighann is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2014
Florence Laiai
Florence Laiai marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Lisa Ostrander
Lisa Ostrander rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Krystal
Krystal rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Sarah Hedges
Sarah Hedges marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Monica Mayo
Monica Mayo rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013