Start by marking “The Listener: What if You Could Hear What God Hears?” as Want to Read:
The Listener: What if You Could Hear What God Hears?
Preview

The Listener: What if You Could Hear What God Hears?

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  597 ratings  ·  58 reviews

Something strange happened to Sam Bennett this morning.

One minute he was sleeping peacefully. Then he was having the strangest dream. And now-Sam is hearing things. Voices, from people all around him.

The waitress in the coffee shop. The elevator operator in Sam's office building. His wife, his secretary, even his pastor. Sam now has insight into people's hearts. He hears

Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Listener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Listener

Randy Alcorn
Foreword by Randy Alcorn

My friend Terri Blackstock has written a simple yet profound story with a vital message.

First, though, I want to say how I rejoice that The Listener’s royalties all go to a great cause, Samaritan’s Purse, an agency that gives people food, clothes, help, and the good news about Jesus Christ. You can read Terri’s heart by her choice to lay up her treasures in heaven, not on earth. She is living out the book’s vision by recognizing people’s deepest needs and reaching out to
Suzie
This is a beautiful, beautiful book. I wish I could memorize it so that I could be prepared to minister to someone at a moments notice. Someone told me, "Be kinder than necessary because you don't know what struggles the other person is having to endure." That was good advice. I think reading this book helps me be "kinder than necessary..." unless you cross me that is! LOL!
Roseann
Read this for bookclub. Would not pick it up otherwise and was actually annoyed at the premise most of the time. Very proselytizing, which I guess is kinda the point. Would not read again, nor would I recommend it to anyone other than the most passionate Christian.
Susan Norris
This is a power packed little book. You can easily read it in one sitting, but don't rush it net it soak in because it contains a great message.
Megan
Oct 23, 2007 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is wonderful! It is extremely convicting. I think every Christian should read this book.
Merita
This is my favorite all time book.
Brittney
While I enjoyed the premise of this book, the evangelism was a bit too much for my tastes. The dialogue was a bit canned, the characters occasionally fell flat, and the story moved too fast to be believable. Drawn out longer, this story may have been more realistic and might have had a better chance to develop. There was also one fundamental theological problem for me: this book seemed to focus more on the quantity of people who were turned to Christ, rather than building a quality relationship ...more
Beth Peninger
I read this book years ago when it first came out and was published under Anonymous. Since then, because people can't stand to let someone just be anonymous, the author was discovered but I have the copy published sans author name. Who cares who wrote it? Obviously the author didn't! Anywho...
While I have only read this book once I think about it a lot. Probably once a week. It is a profound thought to be able to see, hear, etc what God does for people and it would change your life - completely
Amanda
"The Listener" is one of those short and sweet stories that makes you think a little and makes you feel a lot. The protagonist of this story wakes up one morning to find himself with a unique gift from God -- the ability to hear a person's soul. While our hero uses his gift to help transform the lives of those around him, in the end he too goes through a metamorphosis -- evolving from a detached, "lukewarm" Christian to one who is both passionate and compassionate. For the most part, this is a v ...more
Ginger Price
Saving one lost soul at a time

This is a short read but very powerful. Jesus commissioned us to go into the world and tell others the good news of His love .. If we heard the deep inner longings of those around us, we would know that Jesus is their answer, but we must be willing to tell them! This book can be read in a few hours and is must reading for all my Christian friends.
Karen
This is a short Christian fiction book that gets across the urgency to share about Jesus with people we come in contact with on a daily basis. It’s about Sam, a Christian who hasn’t led anyone to Jesus in years and really never thought about it until God gives him a supernatural ability to actually hear the thoughts of people around him like God hears. At first when he starts hearing voices, he thinks he’s going nuts, but then he sees how many people have spiritual needs and need to hear about J ...more
Annette
Not too many pages. Was a good little story about evangelism.
God gives someone the gift of hearing other peoples inner most needs.
Not the ones you think but the ones that are deep in your soul - like God would.
What would happen if you could and what should you do about it?

A great story.
Karen Klein
How amazing would it be if we could all experience a day or two like Sam Bennett did, and hear all of the deep spiritual needs of others so that we could help lead them to God's Word and the joy of his salvation! Realistically we all have the ability to do that on so many occasions, but most of us (myself included) don't. This is a short book (only took a few hours to read) but it had a big impact on me. I think that it's time for me to stop being afraid and start trying to bring more sheep into ...more
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I expected something a little more profound from a book that asked the question "what if you could hear what God hears?" But then again when I stopped to think about that I realized how much that actually fits with the book.

So often we think that in order to do something significant for the kingdom of God we need to hear the voice of God or something else as significant as that. We don't.

I enjoyed Blackstock's writing style although it was nothing new, nothing unique
Steve Gilbert
Quick read, but in my opinion not up to the quality of writing that I expect from Terri Blackstock.
Kim♥
What if you could hear as God hears?

This is a little gem of a book! It's an fast read, yet inspiring and a real eye-opener. I think I was pregnant with Blake when I read this. It was the first book I remember reading about the power of the Holy Spirit in a person's life. Now that I understand that more clearly I want to reread it. :)

It is now called "The Listener" by Terri Blackstock, though the copy I read was called "The Heart Reader" by Anonymous. "The Heart Reader of Franklin High" is a grea
Jessica
Incredible book. I loved this one! This book truly makes your heart cry out for boldness to speak to others about Christ. And right now in my life, this is the perfect time for a heart change like that. I read this through in two days, but I plan on reading again with my husband. Aside from some of the conversations in the book being not very real to me, I completely overlook that in the general premise of the book, because it is such an amazing, God-inspired story. Every Christian should read t ...more
Mary Beth
A powerful message about the importance of being willing to share one's faith with others.
Joan Parker
I don't think you can just walk up to random people and start talking about Jesus solving all their problems. I am a believer, but I think it takes time and relationship building and love and kindness and modeling Jesus in front of someone before approaching them with the salvation message. This book was all about "getting people saved" on the spot and I think that's more the exception than the rule in building the Kingdom of God.
Trudy
This book was an eye-opener to me. I loved that the main character was apprehensive, as many people are, to share about God with others.
Immediately after reading the book,(and during, for that matter!) I began looking at others differently. When I come in contact with strangers now, I find myself trying to read their face and praying for them. The book helped me start noticing those around me more.
I give it a big 5 stars. :)
John Semchenko
A story about a man who receives a gift which he thinks is a curse then finds it a blessing and finally realizes that it is something we all can have. This story really challenges the reader to come face to face with the reality that we live most of our lives unconcerned with the needs and hurts of those around us. What would it be like if you could hear the deepest spiritual needs of those around you? You can if you care.
Allen Steele
this is the first book I've given five stars too, has God as a main character and shows his power when he decides to use man to help with the work of the great commission. scripturally sound, great book.
Chuck Engelhardt
Whereas I liked the premise Ms Blackstock presents and agree that sharing our faith is not just essential, but critical. Unfortunately I didn't really think that it was very well written. As I read I was bothered that the writer chose a masculine main character, yet wrote his feelings and thoughts in a way that made me think, "This is how a woman perceives a man's thoughts, not what a man thinks."
Kristine
Jul 21, 2007 Kristine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Another favorite. I can't remember much of the details anymore, but it's about a guy who suddenly receives the ability to hear other people's needs. He doesn't like it at first, but eventually he starts fulfilling those needs. In the end, even if his ability is taken away, he's more sensitive to other people and all. Basta, can't remember na pero super ganda nya ever. :)
Jesi
Amazing! Never have I read a book written so well! The Listener really made me question how much I share my faith... how much I whiteness to those around me... I really recommend this amazingly written story to any person who is looking for a little lift in their spiritual walk... or any one who just wants encouragement!
A must read for any Christian!
Bobbie
This was a quick read but it really made me examine my Christian walk. It made me think and realize that there is more I can be doing with my Christian life. I now look at people in a new light and listen for clues to their "soul cry" so I can share with them the answer that I have found...Jesus Christ. This is a must read for every Christian.
CGregory
A real quick read with a very thought provoking idea. The writing style was simple and straight to the point. I believe the author thought more about the concept for the book and a lot less about the delivery method. The story kept my attention and I was motivated to read it through in one sweep.
Gretchen
I love the thought of having such a wonderful gift myself. Would I be brave enough to go out and seek others for the Lord like this man? Am I now? I think having the gift would make it a whole lot easier to do for sure! God, give me the strength to bring your lost people to You.
Kathy
An excellent challenge to Christians, this modern-day parable is a short book but with a big message. How many opportunities do we actually have to share the gospel with others who are really searching for an answer to their problems? It was a memorable book.
  • Season of Blessing (Seasons, #4)
  • Amber Morn (Kanner Lake Series, #4)
  • The Trial
  • The Whole Truth
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Journey
  • God's Gift
  • Soul's Gate (A Well Spring Novel, #1)
  • Elementary, My Dear Watkins (Smart Chick Mysteries, Book 3)
  • Tested by Fire
  • Black Sea Affair (Navy Justice #4)
  • Skid (Occupational Hazards, #3)
  • The Novelist
  • The Book of Hours
19811
Terri Blackstock is a New York Times best-seller, with over six million copies sold worldwide. She is the winner of two Carol Awards, a Christian Retailers Choice Award, and a Romantic Times Book Reviews Career Achievement Award, among others. She has had over twenty-five years of success as a novelist.

Terri spent the first twelve years of her life traveling in a U.S. Air Force family. She lived
More about Terri Blackstock...
Night Light (Restoration #2) Last Light (Restoration, #1) Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge, #1) Southern Storm (Cape Refuge, #2) Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4)