Start by marking “The Listener: What if You Could Hear What God Hears?” as Want to Read:
The Listener: What if You Could Hear What God Hears?

The Listener: What if You Could Hear What God Hears?

Something strange happened to Sam Bennett this morning.

One minute he was sleeping peacefully. Then he was having the strangest dream. And now-Sam is hearing things. Voices, from people all around him.

The waitress in the coffee shop. The elevator operator in Sam's office building. His wife, his secretary, even his pastor. Sam now has insight into people's hearts. He hears

Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Listener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Listener

Susan Norris
Apr 16, 2013 Susan Norris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a power packed little book. You can easily read it in one sitting, but don't rush it net it soak in because it contains a great message.
Megan
Oct 23, 2007 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is wonderful! It is extremely convicting. I think every Christian should read this book.
Randy Alcorn
Foreword by Randy Alcorn

My friend Terri Blackstock has written a simple yet profound story with a vital message.

First, though, I want to say how I rejoice that The Listener’s royalties all go to a great cause, Samaritan’s Purse, an agency that gives people food, clothes, help, and the good news about Jesus Christ. You can read Terri’s heart by her choice to lay up her treasures in heaven, not on earth. She is living out the book’s vision by recognizing people’s deepest needs and reaching out to
Suzie
Apr 01, 2009 Suzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful, beautiful book. I wish I could memorize it so that I could be prepared to minister to someone at a moments notice. Someone told me, "Be kinder than necessary because you don't know what struggles the other person is having to endure." That was good advice. I think reading this book helps me be "kinder than necessary..." unless you cross me that is! LOL!
Roseann
Nov 15, 2010 Roseann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for bookclub. Would not pick it up otherwise and was actually annoyed at the premise most of the time. Very proselytizing, which I guess is kinda the point. Would not read again, nor would I recommend it to anyone other than the most passionate Christian.
Merita
Aug 03, 2009 Merita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite all time book.
Brittney
While I enjoyed the premise of this book, the evangelism was a bit too much for my tastes. The dialogue was a bit canned, the characters occasionally fell flat, and the story moved too fast to be believable. Drawn out longer, this story may have been more realistic and might have had a better chance to develop. There was also one fundamental theological problem for me: this book seemed to focus more on the quantity of people who were turned to Christ, rather than building a quality relationship ...more
Beth Peninger
Jun 28, 2011 Beth Peninger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago when it first came out and was published under Anonymous. Since then, because people can't stand to let someone just be anonymous, the author was discovered but I have the copy published sans author name. Who cares who wrote it? Obviously the author didn't! Anywho...
While I have only read this book once I think about it a lot. Probably once a week. It is a profound thought to be able to see, hear, etc what God does for people and it would change your life - completely
Amanda
Jul 22, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Listener" is one of those short and sweet stories that makes you think a little and makes you feel a lot. The protagonist of this story wakes up one morning to find himself with a unique gift from God -- the ability to hear a person's soul. While our hero uses his gift to help transform the lives of those around him, in the end he too goes through a metamorphosis -- evolving from a detached, "lukewarm" Christian to one who is both passionate and compassionate. For the most part, this is a v ...more
Ginger Price
Mar 22, 2015 Ginger Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saving one lost soul at a time

This is a short read but very powerful. Jesus commissioned us to go into the world and tell others the good news of His love .. If we heard the deep inner longings of those around us, we would know that Jesus is their answer, but we must be willing to tell them! This book can be read in a few hours and is must reading for all my Christian friends.
Karen & Gerard
This is a short Christian fiction book that gets across the urgency to share about Jesus with people we come in contact with on a daily basis. It’s about Sam, a Christian who hasn’t led anyone to Jesus in years and really never thought about it until God gives him a supernatural ability to actually hear the thoughts of people around him like God hears. At first when he starts hearing voices, he thinks he’s going nuts, but then he sees how many people have spiritual needs and need to hear about J ...more
Annette
Aug 11, 2014 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too many pages. Was a good little story about evangelism.
God gives someone the gift of hearing other peoples inner most needs.
Not the ones you think but the ones that are deep in your soul - like God would.
What would happen if you could and what should you do about it?

A great story.
Karen Klein
Apr 19, 2012 Karen Klein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How amazing would it be if we could all experience a day or two like Sam Bennett did, and hear all of the deep spiritual needs of others so that we could help lead them to God's Word and the joy of his salvation! Realistically we all have the ability to do that on so many occasions, but most of us (myself included) don't. This is a short book (only took a few hours to read) but it had a big impact on me. I think that it's time for me to stop being afraid and start trying to bring more sheep into ...more
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I expected something a little more profound from a book that asked the question "what if you could hear what God hears?" But then again when I stopped to think about that I realized how much that actually fits with the book.

So often we think that in order to do something significant for the kingdom of God we need to hear the voice of God or something else as significant as that. We don't.

I enjoyed Blackstock's writing style although it was nothing new, nothing unique
Patricia Lott
Jan 02, 2016 Patricia Lott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this one about 4 times. I love it. I have used it for my churches book club as well. Very thought provoking .
Axsel Cintron
Jul 24, 2016 Axsel Cintron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Be kinder than necessary because you don't know what struggles the other person is having to endure." And maybe, just maybe... you may be the one to help!

Good read!
Steve Gilbert
Quick read, but in my opinion not up to the quality of writing that I expect from Terri Blackstock.
Ken
I do not remember my responses reading this book (over 10 years ago).
Kim♥
Feb 21, 2008 Kim♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What if you could hear as God hears?

This is a little gem of a book! It's an fast read, yet inspiring and a real eye-opener. I think I was pregnant with Blake when I read this. It was the first book I remember reading about the power of the Holy Spirit in a person's life. Now that I understand that more clearly I want to reread it. :)

It is now called "The Listener" by Terri Blackstock, though the copy I read was called "The Heart Reader" by Anonymous. "The Heart Reader of Franklin High" is a grea
Jessica
Jan 30, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book. I loved this one! This book truly makes your heart cry out for boldness to speak to others about Christ. And right now in my life, this is the perfect time for a heart change like that. I read this through in two days, but I plan on reading again with my husband. Aside from some of the conversations in the book being not very real to me, I completely overlook that in the general premise of the book, because it is such an amazing, God-inspired story. Every Christian should read t ...more
Cynthia  Sanders
Very passionate story about spreading the Good News. Although I have never felt like evangelism was my calling, it does make me want to spread the Good News in whatever way God sees fit. Praise be to God!
Mary Beth
Jan 21, 2014 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A powerful message about the importance of being willing to share one's faith with others.
Joan Parker
I don't think you can just walk up to random people and start talking about Jesus solving all their problems. I am a believer, but I think it takes time and relationship building and love and kindness and modeling Jesus in front of someone before approaching them with the salvation message. This book was all about "getting people saved" on the spot and I think that's more the exception than the rule in building the Kingdom of God.
Trudy
Feb 24, 2008 Trudy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an eye-opener to me. I loved that the main character was apprehensive, as many people are, to share about God with others.
Immediately after reading the book,(and during, for that matter!) I began looking at others differently. When I come in contact with strangers now, I find myself trying to read their face and praying for them. The book helped me start noticing those around me more.
I give it a big 5 stars. :)
John Semchenko
Apr 16, 2010 John Semchenko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-book-list
A story about a man who receives a gift which he thinks is a curse then finds it a blessing and finally realizes that it is something we all can have. This story really challenges the reader to come face to face with the reality that we live most of our lives unconcerned with the needs and hurts of those around us. What would it be like if you could hear the deepest spiritual needs of those around you? You can if you care.
Allen Steele
Feb 02, 2014 Allen Steele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the first book I've given five stars too, has God as a main character and shows his power when he decides to use man to help with the work of the great commission. scripturally sound, great book.
Chuck Engelhardt
Whereas I liked the premise Ms Blackstock presents and agree that sharing our faith is not just essential, but critical. Unfortunately I didn't really think that it was very well written. As I read I was bothered that the writer chose a masculine main character, yet wrote his feelings and thoughts in a way that made me think, "This is how a woman perceives a man's thoughts, not what a man thinks."
Kristine
Jul 21, 2007 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Another favorite. I can't remember much of the details anymore, but it's about a guy who suddenly receives the ability to hear other people's needs. He doesn't like it at first, but eventually he starts fulfilling those needs. In the end, even if his ability is taken away, he's more sensitive to other people and all. Basta, can't remember na pero super ganda nya ever. :)
Jesi
Amazing! Never have I read a book written so well! The Listener really made me question how much I share my faith... how much I whiteness to those around me... I really recommend this amazingly written story to any person who is looking for a little lift in their spiritual walk... or any one who just wants encouragement!
A must read for any Christian!
Bobbie
Jan 26, 2009 Bobbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read but it really made me examine my Christian walk. It made me think and realize that there is more I can be doing with my Christian life. I now look at people in a new light and listen for clues to their "soul cry" so I can share with them the answer that I have found...Jesus Christ. This is a must read for every Christian.
  • Season of Blessing (Seasons, #4)
  • Amber Morn (Kanner Lake Series, #4)
  • Tested by Fire (Baxter #1)
  • Skid (Occupational Hazards, #3)
  • The Whole Truth
  • God's Gift
  • The Trial
  • Pascal's Wager
  • The Awakening
  • Alaska Twilight
  • Honor's Quest (Rocky Mountain Legacy #3)
19811
Terri Blackstock is a New York Times best-seller, with over six million copies sold worldwide. She is the winner of two Carol Awards, a Christian Retailers Choice Award, and a Romantic Times Book Reviews Career Achievement Award, among others. She has had over twenty-five years of success as a novelist.

Terri spent the first twelve years of her life traveling in a U.S. Air Force family. She lived
More about Terri Blackstock...