Someone Else's Son

Someone Else's Son

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Paperback. Pub Date: 2011 Pages: 512 Publisher: Headline Book Publishing A tense and powerful emotional withthriller of of that asks: Do we ever really know our childrenThere must HAVE been some mistake ... TV presenter Carrie Kent can not Believe the voice on the end of the phone. Surely it didn't just say that her son - her beloved son Max - has been stabbed within his s...more
Published January 20th 2011 by Headline (first published 2010)

Sharon
I'm never sure whether it's fair to star rate a book that you haven't finished, I guess there's always a chance the book get's better after you've stopped reading. However after 50 pages I simply didn't like this book and so it's getting one star! First couple of pages were really promising then it went rapidly downhill with very unlikeable characters that I felt absolutely nothing for except irritability, and I couldn't be bothered with it anymore. Very disappointing.
Annabel
A young boy stabbed.
A terrified Witness.
A mothers nightmare.

It is the story of a young boy who is fatally stabbed at the beginning of the book, and majority of the story is spent trying to uuncover the murderer. His mum Carrie Kent is a TV presentor who investigates other people's tragedy, and now that her son is the main topic, she is doing anything in her power to catch the killer. But as she gets closer and closer to finding the truth, she may rather not have found out at all.

I highly reccome...more
Sara Cole
The plot summery of this novel sounded very engaging. I really thought this would be a highly emotional and thrilling chase to catch the killer. But it was too long! The length of this novel killed the emotion. It got boring.

I felt angry at both of Max's parents for being so neglectful of their son and the bullying was a bit too much to believe. I also think the modern twist on the Romeo and Juliet story has been done too many times.

Disappointing.
Linda
FINALLY finished this, seem to have been reading it forever! It was well written but boy, did it drag on! It would have been much more enjoyable if it had been 100 pages shorter.
Suzie Flohr
I LOVED THIS BOOK , COULDNT PUT IT DOWN READ IT IN 4 DAYS. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. SAM MADE ME FEEL LIKE I KNEW THESE PEOPLE...
Diane Will
I have read other Samantha Hayes in the past, but this wasn't my favourite. It was a bit depressing and I found that it was dragging on a bit too long before it came to a conclusion.

Max, the son of Carrie Kent TV presenter, is found stabbed to death outside his school. I found her a bit irritating if truth be told...too much time for her job and not enough for her son. His father Brody, lives elsewhere. Max goes between the two parents but neither of them seem to have any clue what goes on in th...more
Miles
Within thirty pages of reading Sam Hayes’s new novel “Someone Else’s Son” I knew I was in trouble – if ever trouble was a good thing, this was it! I don’t know why but I distinctly remember thinking that I was going to have problems reviewing this title without giving anything away.

With this in mind I decided that I would include (in the review) only information found on the book jacket and divulge no other secrets held deep within the covers – to spoil a book of this stature would not only be c...more
Lizzie Hayes
‘Someone Else’s Son’ by Sam Hayes
Published by Headline, October 2010.

Carrie Kent is a chat –show host. In her daily morning TV show she exposes the lives of cheating partners, benefit swindlers, underage sex – it’s real life in its raw state, that of poverty and violence, and millions of miles away from Carrie’s own life of luxury and privilege.

Her son Max has left his private school in favour of a state school where he is enrolled as Max Qinell son of Brody Quinell who lives in a dismal block...more
Liz Wilkins
I'll be honest and say I had to make an effort to keep on with this book, because it didnt immediately grab me but I am glad I did - ultimately it was a very good read. Carrie is a chat show host - a female Jeremy Kyle who digs into the underbelly of society and exploits it for fame and gain. I found her extremely unlikeable (probably the point but you would have to ask the author!) and spent most of the first part of the story grimacing at the pages. We also learn about her son, and her ex husb...more
Cleo Bannister
Carrie Kent is mother to Max but more importantly in her eyes she is a chat show host which is a cross between Jeremy Kyle and Crimewatch. One day Max dies and the book revolves not only why he died but what was his life like before he died, Carrie needs to know because she hadn't a clue while he was alive. Carrie realises that she has become just like the guests on her show when she had always felt so superior to them, now their worlds have collided.

Neither of the two mothers in this book are c...more
Maureen
mooi boek. kon het niet wegleggen en heb het dan ook heel snel uitgelezen.
Rosemary Wong
This is the second of Sam Hayes' books I've read, the first being Blood Ties. I enjoyed this book immensely but perhaps less so than Blood Ties mainly because it tended to drag a bit, but that was forgotten by the end of the book with a tense, gripping finish. Sam Hayes is a clever author who can merge a good plot with twists and turns and raw emotion, and a nail biting conclusion. This won't be the last book of hers I'll read.
Len Nguyen
a tragic story about two teenagers who don't belong, a mother who has everything she wants but the intimacy with her only son, a blind father who hankers after giving his son all the best and a mysterious murder.
it not only alert people about their kids and what they have to suffer in schools, but also conveys a message about the connection among family members.
Merel
Wat ontzettend langdradig.
Lovesreading06
It was confusing at bits and I was wondering if I should carry on with it because it didn't grab me. It was only other people said keep going its well worth it.
Nikki
Although this is well written and I really enjoyed parts other parts were totally depressing and the ending a little unrealistic.
Karen
A gripping story, but the writing annoyed me; it seemed unnatural.
Sas
This title grabbed my attention,a good novel.
☣Lynn☣
☣Lynn☣ marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Booknut
Booknut marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Unsolved Mystery
Unsolved Mystery marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Kath Mueller
Kath Mueller marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Gemma De-lucchi
Gemma De-lucchi is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

Hello!

Thanks for stopping by! UNTIL YOU'RE MINE, the first in my new series of books featuring married detectives DIs Lorraine Fisher and Adam Scott, is out now in the UK and will be available in the USA in hardcover on April 15th 2014 - as well as lots of other countries around the world. I do hope you'll pick up a copy and let me know what you think!

BEFORE YOU DIE, the second in the series, is...more
More about Samantha Hayes...
Until You're Mine Blood Ties Tell Tale Unspoken Before You Die