Start by marking “Politically Incorrect Parenting: Before Your Kids Drive You Crazy, Read This!” as Want to Read:
Politically Incorrect Parenting: Before Your Kids Drive You Crazy, Read This!

Politically Incorrect Parenting: Before Your Kids Drive You Crazy, Read This!

Why is it so hard to be the parent you thought you would be? Do your kids sometimes make you feel your head is going to explode? Ever yelled at them until you were hoarse? Do you have days when you feel like making a run for the airport? For harassed parents struggling to understand why they end up screaming at their kids and tearing their hair out trying to make them unde ...more
Published July 23rd 2013 by HarperCollins (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Politically Incorrect Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politically Incorrect Parenting

Polka-dot-pin-up
Jan 14, 2011 Polka-dot-pin-up rated it it was amazing
This book was so funny! I'm a first time mother and I am so glad that there is a no nonsense it's-ok-to-let-your-kids-eat-dirt book. This is a book you don't want to read if you want to raise a "mamby pamby" cotton wool kid. Very eye opening and whats worse I see the parent s Nigel Latta criticises everyday
Aussie bookworm
Mar 17, 2013 Aussie bookworm rated it really liked it
great information with out making you feel guilty
Oct 27, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it
This is a bit of a weird book.

It is written by a New Zealand clinical psychologist and parent of two boys and is about parenting 0-10 year olds. I was very surprised to discover near the end of the book that he says he has done a lot of work with abusers and abused children (on the basis of which he says never let any teenage boy babysit your children, which I thought was interesting)

It is sort of funny in parts and sort of says some good stuff in others. But it is a weird book.

Firstly (and it
Alena Goulbourne
Jan 12, 2014 Alena Goulbourne rated it it was ok
The only part of this book which was interesting and helpful and deserve a star is the part about children safety! The rest of the book is fiction with made up examples which have nothing to do with real world. If his patients (parents) are lazy, careless, addicted to TV and unhealthy food - he can't fix the problem by just telling "stop watching TV and keep your house clean etc." grown ups don't change that easy.
Also all children are different and need different approach, Nigel Latta is so arr
Julie Schooler
Aug 30, 2016 Julie Schooler rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to any parent who wants some useful tips to help parent their kids better. From 'all behaviour is communication' to promoting 'fences' and relationship, this book has some great points that are well worth remembering during the hard slog times. I didn't agree with some of the minor points around childcare and babysitting but found the story/ example format very easy to read.
Mandy
Mar 29, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
Hooray! Excellent, funny and, oh so, sensible. I could have written it myself, agreed with everything he said. Bought it for my son and daughter-in-law (mostly to help my granddaughter), God I hope they read it, he might finally realise what an excellent and sensible mother he has and now, quite obviously, what an excellent and sensible grandmother I will be!
Helen
May 09, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it
This book was lent to me because of the chapter called "Jimmy Crapperpants and the Bucket of Consequences". It's gold! Practical and fun to read with lots of specific techniques, but I'm still waiting for the book that tells me how to get my child to sleep through the night. Ignore her? Hah!
Jane O'callaghan
Feb 11, 2013 Jane O'callaghan rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, funny & very educational. I have a 19th month old toddler & how right he is with so many of his observations. Laugh out loud funny! He comes across in writing just as he does on stage in his tv series (DVD's).
Maggie
Apr 03, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Throw away every other parenting book!
I have read many for my work & this is in a different league. Very easy to read & laugh out loud funny. Pragmatic advice that is straightforward to implement & adhere to.
I have recommended it to many friends & they too have loved it.
Carmen Robaldo
Feb 17, 2012 Carmen Robaldo rated it it was amazing
This book is funny and practical and just makes sense. Yes, some of his advice may seem obvious, yet many of us miss it from time to time and need to be told again. I've now moved onto 'Mothers raising sons' for some more inspiration.
Bence
Oct 20, 2016 Bence rated it it was amazing
Amazing and amusing, full of no-nonsense advice and actual stories of families solving seemingly impossible power struggles. If you only read one book about disciplining your children, read this one.
Mary
Aug 03, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Nice no bull advice, can't wait for the tv show
Cheryl
Nov 05, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would love to see what he writes about teenagers!
Ria Lester
Apr 28, 2015 Ria Lester rated it it was amazing
Loved it, as always latta provides a no nonsense and very entertaining book. Helped me hugely around bedtime routines and getting our little one to sleep in a way that didn't feel cruel to him or us
Shane
Jul 04, 2012 Shane rated it really liked it
thanks for that veli!
Helen Bull
Helen Bull rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Ela
Ela rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Sara Edwards
Sara Edwards rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2017
Ian Gray
Ian Gray rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Tiffany Fox
Tiffany Fox rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Maggie Martin
Maggie Martin rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Kellie
Kellie rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Jennifer G
Jennifer G rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Ksenia Tauroa
Jan 17, 2015 Ksenia Tauroa rated it it was amazing
Insightful and to the point. No mucking around parenting advice.
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Kiril
Kiril rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013