Start by marking “On the Loose (Steele Street, #7)” as Want to Read:
On the Loose (Steele Street, #7)

On the Loose (Steele Street #7)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,032 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
He's a special agent who never loses his cool.

She's the heat-seeking missle headed straight for his heart.

Keeping cool under pressure is the credo C. Smith Rydell lives by. That’s why he was handpicked by the Special Defense Forces for a mission few men survive. So why has the ex-DEA superstar been reassigned to Panama City, playing bodyguard to a blond in a black string b
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about On the Loose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Loose

jenjn79
Mar 12, 2009 jenjn79 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
edited and added to 3/12/09

Rating: 3.5 / 5

I'm a bit undecided on what to rate this book. I could go anywhere from 3 to 3.5 to 4. I'm leaning toward 3.5, though the strong ending tempts me to bump it to 4. I enjoyed this book a fair amount, but I didn't think it was as strong as some of the past books in the series.

On the Loose is the seventh book in the Steele Street series, and the first book in the "Loose" subset of books. Most likely, this book could be read as a stand-alone or as a "try-out"
Christa
Jul 14, 2008 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksfree-com
This was another good book connected with the Steele Streeet series. I thought that this book concentrated more on the action involved in the story and not as much on the romance which is why I gave it four stars instead of five. I would have liked to have seen a little bit more emphasis placed on the romance between Rydell and Honey. Even so, it was an enjoyable, fast-paced book.

In the previous book in the series, C. Smith Rydell and Honoria "Honey" York-Lytton spent a night together in El Salv
Willow
You know what, I liked this one. It was different than the others, didn't have the spark of the first four, the thing that sets them apart than other romantic suspense series which is the cars. These chop shop boys can get a girl all a'flutter with their earth-shaking engines and reformed bad boy smoothness, but the last two haven't had that snap crackle pop. This one was different, but it had something.

I've liked Smith since our first glimpse of him with Kid Chaos, and I love that he's a part
Quinn
Hmmm. Not quite up to the standard I have enjoyed in the 'Crazy' part of this series. This one just didn't have the OTT, fun-filled, adrenaline-fuelled, crazy/sexy ride that you'll find in the earlier books. On the Loose was just a little too 'standard' for me. There wasn't enough to set it apart from all the other good RS books out there. Had I read this without knowing what I was missing in the other books, it might have achieved a higher rating. But I do, so it doesn't.

Plus, I loved Honey and
TJ
I've learned a very good lesson about Tara Janzen's series. One should NOT read them out of order. Each one has the main plot line and a very strong secondary plot (almost half the book). That secondary plot becomes the main story in the following book. Picking up one out of order leaves the reader totally lost because one is jumping into the middle of it.

Unfortunately I learned this lesson with this book. I couldn't find "Crazy Sweet" (Steele Street #6) but had this one (#7). I just couldn't g
Michelle
Apr 17, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m just loving the Steele Street series from Tara Janzen. There’s such a great combination of action, romance, and smexy times. I really enjoy how she builds the world with each story introducing characters and adding on to the stories of previous characters. I loved how Smith and Honey met in the last story and was very excited to continue their romance in On the Loose. Honey may have absolutely no experience in spy work but when she’s tasked by the US government to retrieve important document ...more
Anita
Sep 27, 2014 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The Steele Street series just gets better and better. In order to truly understand Smith and Honey, you at least need to read the book before this one - Crazy Sweet. But, do yourself a favor and read them all in order. This book seems to shift away from the boys at Steele Street, SDF headquarters, and focuses on a mission in the field. I guess since all the Steele Street guys and gals got their HEA it was time to refocus the series. I miss them in this book, but look forward t ...more
Pattianne
Jan 20, 2014 Pattianne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
ON THE LOOSE - STEELE STREET #7 - (Zachary and Lily)

He's a special agent who never loses his cool.

She's the heat-seeking missle headed straight for his heart.

Keeping cool under pressure is the credo C. Smith Rydell lives by. Thatâs why he was handpicked by the Special Defense Forces for a mission few men survive. So why has the ex-DEA superstar been reassigned to Panama City, playing bodyguard to a blond in a black string bikini? Except Honey York isnât your average pampered socialite. Sheâs the
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Jane Stewart
Ok, but not great. Someone who reminds me of Paris Hilton visits revolutionaries and drug dealers in Central America.

STORY BRIEF:
Honey is a wealthy socialite living in Washington D.C. Her sister Julia is a nun working in an orphanage in El Salvador. The orphanage is in an area controlled by Diego, the leader of a revolutionary military group. Because Honey has visited Julia before, the US government wants Honey to deliver money and arms to Diego. Honey wants to go because she thinks her sister m
Jessica
Oct 06, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contempo romance/suspense
After discovering that his ex-lover did not die in that plane crash after feeding him to the wolves, and is actually alive and well and involved in illegal trafficking in South America, Smith Rydell is confronted with another past flame, which he as been assigned to body-guard. Honey York is still the 5th Avenue princess he spent one wild night with four months earlier. And while blackmailed into closing a deal with a South American guerilla captain and drug lord for the US government, she is re ...more
Sara
Crista
I really think this author's best might be behind her. Crazy Hot, Crazy Cool, Crazy Wild and Crazy Kisses were just great. Crazy Love was quite possibly the biggest let-down disappointment of my entire life as a reader (one that I'm still not over...bitter), and Crazy Sweet was just awful. I was really hoping that the "start" of the "continuation" of Steele Street would be a time of re-energizing for this author....not so much.

The plot is complicated and there are just to many darn characters t
Susan
On The Loose is a roller coaster ride of suspense with several story plots that develop and come together into an explosive ending. The sensual undercurrents and different lifestyles between Smith and Honey will captivate the reader with steamy romance even as a complicated drama unfolds around them.
I liked the sub-plots with the seedy characters all trying to out do the other, while all were focused on Smith and Honey’s complicated mission and how to use them for their own chilling reasons. Thi
Megan
I really enjoyed Honey and Smith's story. The supporting characters didn't steal the show in this one, but provided enough incentive for me to want to jump right into the next book in the series. Unlike some of the other books in this series it felt like Honey and Smith acutally took the time to get to know each other (granted they jumped into bed the 1st night they met). Throughout the book Smith (Tara Janzen) notes the little things and BIG he is learning about Honey that make him fall more an ...more
Maggie
Better than the last one, that's for sure. But these books are still getting less romancy and more action/adventure, and I don't like that at all.

Loved C Rydell and Honey. Loved loved loved Honey. I loved that she was portrayed as this blonde bimbo party girl and ends up being completely awesome and more than that.

This book was ridiculously unmoored. It needed to ground itself in ONE (or, god forbid, two) stories. There was just too many POVs and too many chapters where I was like, "Why are you
Kira
Feb 17, 2015 Kira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really more like 3.5 stars. The story needed a better balance between action and romance. Honey and Rydell's relationship seemed rushed and in some ways unresolved at the end.
Kathrynn
Ugh! This book had a lot of potential, but I do not like lengthy--extremely detailed--descriptions of fictitious drug lord operations. There was entirely too much inner thought(s) going on--page after page of inner thoughts of the characters and a lot of repetitiveness. There should have been more dialogue. When there was dialogue, I was interested in the story, but the bantering between the two main characters just got old.

I had a difficult time staying awake to read this book and it took me..
marieno
Aug 07, 2011 marieno rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book had great potential but didn't quite reach my expectations. Tara Janzen opened so many doors that she didn't close!

When I learned about the new vilain Irena, I was so glad. She promised to be a real bad-ass. But was a softie, she almost made me cry!

The relationship between Honey and C. Smith (you will learn what the C stands for) is not that great.

But, as usual, new characters are introduced and you end up reading the next book. We meet Alexander Campos, a too nice drug lord (so he's
Karen Docter
If you loved Tara Janzen's Crazy... series, you probably waited as eagerly as I did for the launch of her spin-off series with the release of ON THE LOOSE.

It was worth the wait! Not only is the book as fun and sexy a read as I've come to expect from Janzen, she's reunited two characters I fell in love with in CRAZY SWEET who deserved their own story.

Janzen specializes in writing compelling, to-die-for heroes and sexy heroines worthy of them. Rydell and Honey are no exception. Their romance sizz
Darcy
I really liked Smith and Honey and their crazy pairing from the last book, so was excited to see them back for more with this book.

The two of these people are so different from each other that you can't help but to laugh at them. Their sniping at each other was classic.

I could have done less with the whole drug/rebels/who do you trust story line. It seems like for those life in this life things like that are common place.

I did like the new characters that were introduced and hope that they are
T.M. Carper
First Tara Janzen book. Decent and fast-paced with interesting characters--a former DEA agent sent from an important mission to babysit a socialite and the socialite with a lot of secrets--and suitcases full of cocaine--that he ran into a few years before.

400+ pages of fairly easy reading. All bits of Spanish are translated and drug-dealing Campos isn't as bad as he seems.

Recommended for romantic suspense fans who like foreign settings.
There were things that I really liked and things that I really did not like about this story. I love C. Smith Rydell and Honey. It was sweet and sad to find out what the C stands for. And I love the interactions between the two of them. I did not like the storyline with Irena. I'm sure that it is important for later, but I was not impressed with it. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Alejandro and his upcoming story. Overall, I am pleased with Smith and Honey's story.
Erin
Sep 13, 2011 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A return to Janzen's best form: fast, funny, full of banter and sexy. There's just enough teasers for future storylines without taking away from the main story. Honey and Smith are my favorite Janzen couple so far. Both of them feel deeper and more textured than some of the other characters, especially Honey when compared to some other heroines. Using the silent hand signal in the jungle is a hilarious moment that sums up their whole relationship for me.
Alyssa
Apr 03, 2011 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
3.5

Loved C. Smith Rydell & Honey York-Lytton together! The fact that Honey wouldn't take any of Smith's usual junk & that she made him feel and think things that he never had before was really fun to read. However, what I LOVED most about this book was the introduction of Alejandro Campos a.k.a. Zachary Prade, the long lost member of the Steel Street gang. Cannot wait to read his & Lisa's story!
Rachel
Probably 3.5 but just because im comparing to the other series.

This was a good action romance ... it wasn't as good as steel street but that would be hard to top.

I cant wait to read the next one cause I liked both H & h.

I really liked Honey and Smith in the last book and they were cute in this one too. A great story and seems a bit like troubleshooters with the couples being in each book.

I loved steel street ;(
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another series that I love and have read twice! The muscle cars, the action and the romance. I like the way she builds the characters, people who may seem strange or stand-offish but are just like the rest of us once you get to know them. Again I read a book about every 3-4 days and don't know when the last time (thats right I have read this series twice so far) was that I read this.
Alicia J
I really liked the characters, C.Rydell and Honey, but the story didn't give me the same sense of excitement and drama like Tara's other books in the series. And there just didn't seem to be that sizzle between the two of them that would have made them more believable as a couple. It was a good story, but not one of her better efforts.
Jill
I've loved this whole series, but this one didn't really do it for me. There was wayyy too much technical stuff and too many details in this one to be very interesting to me. I was looking forward to the love story, and it's not really there, barely, if at all.
Sherry
Apr 20, 2008 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance/suspense
Tara Janzen delivers another exciting story in her addictive Steele Street series. On the Loose is fast paced, witty and leaves you with wanting more, Cutting Loose is my next read and Loose and Easy definitely on my to read shelf.
  • Then You Hide (Bullet Catcher, #5)
  • Under the Wire (The Bodyguards, #5)
  • Run to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #3)
  • The Hunter (Crossfire, #2)
  • White Heat (T-FLAC, #11)
  • And Able (Mercenary Trilogy, #3)
  • No Control (Delta Force #2)
  • Code Name: Blondie (SEAL and Code Name, #8)

Steele Street (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
  • Crazy Wild (Steele Street, #3)
  • Crazy Kisses (Steele Street, #4)
  • Crazy Love (Steele Street, #5)
  • Crazy Sweet (Steele Street, #6)
  • Cutting Loose (Steele Street, #8)
  • Loose and Easy (Steele Street, #9)
  • Breaking Loose (Steele Street, #10)
  • Loose Ends (Steele Street, #11)

“You’re staring at my ass.”
“Yes, I am.” It’s what he did in the mornings, when she woke up and spent the first hour lying around in bed.”
9 likes
“We’ve got to stop meeting like this.”
“No, we don’t.” He liked meeting like this, over her bare ass, a hot-off-the-presses copy of the Rocky Mountain News, and a steaming cup of coffee. It was so perfect, he planned on doing it every day for the rest of his life. He just hadn’t told her yet.”
9 likes