Start by marking “Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings---And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Jennifer is a thirty-four-year-old bank manager. She's managed her education, her career, her finances--and her customers’ money--she can’t seem to handle this darn little chocolate in a shiny wrapper. . .

Whether you're drawn to chocolate, cookies, potato chips, cheese, or burgers and fries, we all have foods we can’t seem to resist--foods that sabotage our best efforts to
Published July 20th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Food Seduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Food Seduction

Ken

For me, it all comes down to oatmeal.

But first you have the name of the book: Breaking the Food Seduction. It sounds a little goofy at first, like a cover blurb on a checkout stand magazine. But Dr. Barnard has a real point: the reason it's so hard to resist, say, chocolate, or cheese, or (for me) that doughnut, has nothing to do with willpower. It's chemistry. We literally become "addicted" to the physical effects of components of these foods, and that leads us to crave them. It's nothing like

Michele Harrod
Wow, this book has been a real eye-opener, in understanding the biochemistry that goes into the 'cravings' we have for foods that are so bad for us!! It's actually made me angry to understand how little options I have actually had in controlling my own appetite, when foods filled with opiates are being shoved down our throats (literally of course) but big food industries, and why we sabotage our good efforts so easily.

So now I'm going to take on some of these menu suggestions to free myself fro
Tamara Evans
A insightful book providing information behind why people crave the unhealthy foods (chocolate, sugar, cheese,potato chips). The author also shows readers how to break their addictions to such unhealthy foods.
Rhea
Overall it was a great book. It presented so much "known" information in a new light. I can say it has me thinking differently about the life changes I would like to make.
Scmachado
I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months and my boyfriend has lost 35 lbs because of this book. Worth every penny.
Have Mercy Killer Reviews
I don't buy a whole lot of diet books or healthy eating books. My reading base is usually fantasy or science fiction, but while I was in Florida a couple months back they had Neal Barnard on public television, and I could not pull my eyes away from the television. The things he explained about differences in diets, the things you eat, and so forth, were so intelligent yet easy to understand. You just knew the man knew what he was talking about.

So, that's how I came about his books. This is the f
Zachary
This book is absolutely amazing!

It lays out the fundamentals of why Chocolate and Cheese and other foods are so addicting and hard to stay away from. He also tells you exactly how you can get away from them.

My biggest take away was that is changed my perception of animal products and why there is so much misinformation out there about them.

There are huge government lobbies for the Meat, cheese, sugar and chocolate industry in Washington.

Also, by reading the book, there is a plethora of good in
Suphatra
I found this book to be very valuable. I had read the popular "21-Day Kick Starter Diet" (a low-fat vegan manifesto about resetting your taste buds to healthier choices) and had tried and failed at the Kick Starter, though I did notice some benefits while I was trying it. So when I came upon another book by Dr. Barnard, I thought I should give his philosophy a second chance.

Breaking the Food Seduction reads very much like a prequel to Kick Starter. It gives you the context to what shapes his phi
Shanda
Favorite part so far is when Dr. Barnard says no one ever is stuck on radishes and green beans or needs help breaking the addiction from spinach.

This book has parts that absolutely resonate with me. I can manage to eat a huge bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, salad and beans and fruit for lunch, salad and beans and fruit for dinner without a problem - but when the sugar comes calling (in the form of cake, cookies and pie of course), I answer right away! This book offers valuable suggestions for bre
Blanche
This is the best book I've ever read, ever. I feel like I never have to read another diet/health book again because this one here is so comprehensive and makes so much perfect sense backed up with medical proof. I wish everyone would read this book. I got a copy from the library but I'm going to purchase it so I can share it with everyone I love.
Rosemary
Sep 29, 2008 Rosemary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

It's about time for us to change our habits and most of all be responsible for the way we feed our children.

I won't say I will give up on my chocolate at all...that's my addiction...but red meat,dairies and all that white junk we think it's good (white rice,sugar,flour,etc.)I'm definitely making the effort to give up !!

Richard
Did you know that chocolate affects the same opiate receptors in your brain as heroine. Do you ever wonder why you get weak at the knees when bread, sugary snacks, cheese, etc. becomes available? Certain foods really are like drugs.

Resistance is not futile. Barnard demystifies the connection between food and cravings.
Of all the Barnard books I perused this one had the most recipes I actually made and liked. Funny how some of the recipes show up in multiple books and some books seem to have the least accessible and recipes I've ever seen - all by the same author. If I had to pick just one to own I think this one would be it.
Cheryl
This book was chosen by the Weight Watchers Vegetarian message board. We read it as a group and discussed it every Friday. This book makes total sense to me. It affirmed things that I have found since I gave up meat, dairy, caffeine and sugar 10 months ago.

These suggestions work!!
Missmonicac
I'm a huge fan of nutritional books, so while I did know a lot of the info I read in this book, it's very good for reference and to have in one place. Good everyday sense and language and some yum recipes I'm looking into trying soon.
Marjorie
Similar to his other book, Food for Life- just updated. Again, promotes a vegan diet with good medical/ science backing. Lots of recipes and 21 day starter diet. Nothing new- but good reinforcement for me. Far more practical than many
Ryan
This is one of those books I want everyone I know to read. I want to give it as gifts (but I won't, because that would make me insufferable). While Dr. Barnard is a hardcore vegan, and espouses that philosophy throughout as the only way to be truly healthy, a stance I respect but don't necessarily agree with, there is still a lot to learn in here. Not just a treatise on why you shouldn't eat meat or dairy, this book actually goes into the neurology of several common, and highly addictive, foods, ...more
Jean
I really liked Barnard's style -- presenting cited facts about what eating certain foods does in our bodies. Very accessible and well referenced. I'll be trying some of the recipes, too.
Clare
Michele's GoodReads review says it all.

And wow...opiates in the biochemistry of our foods. No wonder the cravings can be so difficult during times of stress...who knew!?
Andrea
Oct 27, 2008 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: Ellen show
Shelves: self-help
He definitely supports the vegan diet. I don't really have trouble with food cravings aside from chocolate and some sweets. (which never tempted me anyway until my 3rd child was born) Mostly I am taking to heart his talk about increasing fiber in our diets. I've started experimenting with this at breakfast time and I notice that I don't even think about food again until at least noon. Fiber is key to curbing craves and binging. He says aim for 40g per day. Good book about eating healthy. He also ...more
Emlyn Lewis
Really opened my world on mindless food cravings but tended to repeat itself constantly.
Why do books have to be too long? Get to the point in half the quantity
Kim
I'm already mostly vegan, so much of the advice wasn't new to me and I was already following it. I did like being reminded of the health benefits of giving up meat and (especially) dairy. I also learned a lot about the importance of fiber, the over emphasis on protein in our society, and what the heck "glycemic index" means. I don't think I'm going to change much of what I'm eating, maybe I'll be more mindful of not putting so many fattening toppings on my potatoes and bread. Otherwise, against ...more
Lesley
I read this book so closely to finishing Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers that I'm having a hard time differentiating between the two at this point! (arrggh!) Certainly, a number of ideas are similar, in terms of eating better, especially cutting out sugar. This book, like the other, had recipes in back which I scrolled through, since I don't generally go back to recipes in books read on my Kindle app.
Alli Vale
A powerful read for anyone who has ever felt completely over-powered by a food craving!
Nati Galbetti
This book was absolutely amazing. It has an expert's advice on how to change your diet backed up by reliable medical sources. The explanations in layman's terms of how foods affect us biologically were very interesting and useful. The recipes were what truly impressed me. Usually vegan recipes are either overly complicated or not that great but these were easy and absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to make a positive lifestyle change to a more healthy one. The steps ...more
Barbara
Nancy
This is another book for anyone who has thought their diet could be better.
Zoe
This book touts a practically nonfat, whole grain vegan diet to stop sugar and other unhealthy food cravings. Barnard doesn't mention veganism until late in the book, however. Maybe because it was written before the concept of veganism became part of popular culture? Barnard has no problems with loads of soy and gluten, of course! The best thing about this book are the decent vegan recipes in the back. I kind of wish the recipe section was detachable from the rest of the book, which I would not ...more
Allison
Oct 27, 2007 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people concerned about their health
This book explains why you crave chocolate, cheese, and meats, and it tells you that you will be healthier and happier- more stable brain chemistry and moods and blood sugar- if you stop eating them. Basically, it explains that a low-fat, vegan diet is the way to go! I agree, although most people won't. But for those looking to reduce depression, lose weight, and feel better overall, this is great advice. If nothing else, it's a good reference for why certain foods make you feel the way they do.
Julie Doherty
I watched Dr. Barnard's TED speech and loved what he had to say about nutrition, so I thought I would check out his books. I really believe what he has to say about foods being addictive. Who knew that cheese was so addicting, though?! I couldn't give it 5 stars because I believe it is a little outdated: there were so many recipes that call for soy products. I think now we know that too much soy is bad for the endocrine system, especially for those of us with thyroid issues.
  • The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
  • The Mcdougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
  • Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • Healthy Eating, Healthy World: Unleashing the Power of Plant-Based Nutrition
  • The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
  • Living among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarians' Survival Handbook
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World
  • No More Bull!: The Mad Cowboy Targets America's Worst Enemy: Our Diet
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The 80/10/10 Diet: Balancing Your Health, Your Weight, and Your Life, One Luscious Bite at a Time
  • Thrive Diet: The Whole Food Way To Losing Weight Reducing Stress And Staying
  • The Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force that Undermines Health & Happiness
  • Eat for Health: The Mind and Body Makeover
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
Neal D. Barnard, M.D., is a nutrition researcher, author, and health advocate. As an adjunct associate professor of medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine, Dr. Barnard conducts studies on the role of nutrition in diabetes, obesity, and lipid management, among other health issues. His most recent clinical trial, funded by the National Institutes of Health, established the v ...more
More about Neal D. Barnard...
21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook Power Foods for the Brain: An Effective 3-Step Plan to Protect Your Mind and Strengthen Your Memory Food for Life: How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life